HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I’m not sure if anybody has been following what’s been going on in downtown Summerside, but the city purchased 4 buildings and is set to demolish them and act as a developer to revitalize the area. The former Regent, Cooke Insirance, Crockets Jewelers and RBC Bank at the buildings in question.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...lish-1.5647998
https://www.journalpioneer.com/news/...ldings-487366/

In other related news, the city is trying to deal with their most visible derelict building. They have reached a MOU with APM regarding the former Holland College building.
https://www.journalpioneer.com/news/...ilding-475814/

Personally I think this would be an ideal place for Kent to relocate to, rather than the land that Irving purchased across from Walmart in Granville Street. This would create a large vacant property prime for redevelopment in the heart of downtown. With many people calling for a grocery store to return to downtown, this would be a perfect location. The rest of the property I see being a perfect fit for a proposed Police/Fire/Rescue station similar to the one just built in Stratford. The city had talked about building such a facility years ago but never ended up making any concrete plans.
To add, on another development, I was up to my son's home in Summerside and I see the 54 unit apartments on Water St between the car wash and Nucity plaza hasn't begun. You haven't heard when that one is underway by any chance?

Last edited by Siriusb; Sep 7, 2020 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I’m not sure if anybody has been following what’s been going on in downtown Summerside, but the city purchased 4 buildings and is set to demolish them and act as a developer to revitalize the area. The former Regent, Cooke Insirance, Crockets Jewelers and RBC Bank at the buildings in question.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...lish-1.5647998
https://www.journalpioneer.com/news/...ldings-487366/

In other related news, the city is trying to deal with their most visible derelict building. They have reached a MOU with APM regarding the former Holland College building.
https://www.journalpioneer.com/news/...ilding-475814/

Personally I think this would be an ideal place for Kent to relocate to, rather than the land that Irving purchased across from Walmart in Granville Street. This would create a large vacant property prime for redevelopment in the heart of downtown. With many people calling for a grocery store to return to downtown, this would be a perfect location. The rest of the property I see being a perfect fit for a proposed Police/Fire/Rescue station similar to the one just built in Stratford. The city had talked about building such a facility years ago but never ended up making any concrete plans.
- Why would Kent be building a new store in Summerside? Don't they already have one?
- Charlottetown's downtown core has been trying to get a grocery store in the downtown for awhile. Good luck!
- The new Emergency building in Stratford is the envy of the Island communities. S'side deserves a new one as they have been working out of the same buildings as far back as I can remember.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:28 AM

Summersides Kent is very dated and they have been in need of a newer one for years

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Summersides Kent is very dated and they have been in need of a newer one for years
I looked at Google and the store is in the old Schurman building. No wonder they want to build!!
I think this store then will be about the size of the Truro store which is 52,000 sq ft. The Charlottetown Kent is one of the largest in the Maritimes at 95,000 sq ft. I don't think they would build that large of Kent in a much smaller community. But it will be an huge improvement for S'side.

Last edited by Siriusb; Sep 8, 2020 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 10:36 PM

UPEI MultiFunction/Residence

The top three floors are going up and then a Penthouse. Height is about 124 ft.
This photo was taken from Allen St.
Sorry for the image quality as it was taken from a cell phone at full zoom.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
I looked at Google and the store is in the old Schurman building. No wonder they want to build!!
I think this store then will be about the size of the Truro store which is 52,000 sq ft. The Charlottetown Kent is one of the largest in the Maritimes at 95,000 sq ft. I don't think they would build that large of Kent in a much smaller community. But it will be an huge improvement for S'side.
Yeah they’ve owned the land across from Walmart for at least 10 years if not more. I’m surprised it’s not built yet to be honest. But the Holland College site would be a much better location for them in my opinion. Actually when APM first proposed retail on the site, home hardware was looking at moving there. They ended up expanding their existing location and building a separate home furniture location next door. At the time they had not done any renovations of any kind so it would have been much easier for them to just start from scratch.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 10:37 AM

Smile

Quote:
Yeah they’ve owned the land across from Walmart for at least 10 years if not more. I’m surprised it’s not built yet to be honest. But the Holland College site would be a much better location for them in my opinion. Actually when APM first proposed retail on the site, home hardware was looking at moving there. They ended up expanding their existing location and building a separate home furniture location next door. At the time they had not done any renovations of any kind so it would have been much easier for them to just start from scratch.
Kent, you would think, would have built there already. Hope they start soon. My son lives on S'ide and he mentioned that the Kent was tiny and old.
Honestly, I would've liked to have seen the old HC restored. It's only for the memories. I went there for the first year of my Electronics Eng. many many years ago. Anyway, I agree with you about the site. Something good could be done with it. Charlottetown has the same problem with the old Pickard machinery building at University and Belvedere.
I see Stratford is about to get its Home Hardware back. The Callbeck family took over the one on St Peter's Rd are reopening it. I guess they have seen the potential of the growing area.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Kent, you would think, would have built there already. Hope they start soon. My son lives on S'ide and he mentioned that the Kent was tiny and old.
Honestly, I would've liked to have seen the old HC restored. It's only for the memories. I went there for the first year of my Electronics Eng. many many years ago. Anyway, I agree with you about the site. Something good could be done with it. Charlottetown has the same problem with the old Pickard machinery building at University and Belvedere.
I see Stratford is about to get its Home Hardware back. The Callbeck family took over the one on St Peter's Rd are reopening it. I guess they have seen the potential of the growing area.
I agree it’s the same situation with the only Pickard machinery building. There is so much potential for that site!! Someone could make a fortune if they put apartments there for students to rent!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:21 PM

Looks like something is going into the Plaza REIT Buchanan Drive buildings last available spot. The front is torn off with construction crews onsite.

Also noticed something being constructed behind the Petro Canada Tim's in Stratford.....Anyone know what this is?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 7:36 PM

I though I herd or read somewhere that it was supposed to be a physio spot.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 9:33 PM

Quote:
I agree it’s the same situation with the only Pickard machinery building. There is so much potential for that site!! Someone could make a fortune if they put apartments there for students to rent!
I mentioned that to a local developer, tear down the Pickard building and turn it into green space and the land next to Dow's Plaza, build a 5-6 storey residence for the University. He thought that was a great idea! Now if only we can convince those who own the land!!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 9:40 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 10:16 PM

Over in Stratford:

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:37 PM

Image quality isn't the best as it's off my dashcam and it was raining.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
Looks like something is going into the Plaza REIT Buchanan Drive buildings last available spot. The front is torn off with construction crews onsite.

Also noticed something being constructed behind the Petro Canada Tim's in Stratford.....Anyone know what this is?
Plaza REIT Buchanan Drive - There was a sign up in the top right corner looking for a franchisee for a
East Side Marios and something else. I'm not sure if this is what is going in
here. Bad time to open a restaurant if you ask me!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:48 PM

West Royalty Suites

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:50 PM

John Yeo Plaza

The foundation is now complete.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 10:07 PM

Stratford council approves $2.5M to buy land for high school, community campus.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...hase-1.5718518

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 10:23 PM

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Stratford council approves $2.5M to buy land for high school, community campus.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...hase-1.5718518

I hope nobody got paid too much for that diagram, the "high school" is literally Leo Hayes High School in Fredericton. I didn't even go there and recognized it instantly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces