HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
Killam's latest investor release says this building is only slated for construction between 2022-2025. My guess is Tim Banks is just playing the blame game, that he does so well.
Well, if that is the case, no development downtown will kill business in this unknown Covid era. If the Atlantic bubble suddenly collapses and no one is moving to the core, the core will simply die. Businesses will close.
It appears no one has a what-if plan!! The best way to save the downtown is have new people and development. So far I don't see that as being accepted as a good idea from residences or city hall.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
Well, if that is the case, no development downtown will kill business in this unknown Covid era. If the Atlantic bubble suddenly collapses and no one is moving to the core, the core will simply die. Businesses will close.
It appears no one has a what-if plan!! The best way to save the downtown is have new people and development. So far I don't see that as being accepted as a good idea from residences or city hall.
Cities all over are trying to densify the core and have more people living downtown. Good for the downtown businesses, better tax base, and creates a vibrancy.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
There are 3 or 4 apartments/condos being built in the downtown core as we speak.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
There is a trend in other parts of Canada where mall owners are adding a residential component to their malls, building up. I read an article recently where a target demographic has been retired people.

Not sure if this would be beneficial in this case, or if something like this is even on the owners radar. But the difficulties that retail is facing are prompting malls to think outside the box, and add a different revenue stream to make them more financially sound.
As far as I know RioCan has already sold 50% stake in the mall with the intention of adding apartment. This was a very smart move.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
As far as I know RioCan has already sold 50% stake in the mall with the intention of adding apartment. This was a very smart move.
I really like the idea of residential that's connected to the mall. I can see where it would be a win-win: Built in customers for the mall businesses, very convenient for tenants with direct assess (nice in the winter), and revenue for the mall owners.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
They are already going to Public Consultation for a portion of this property. It includes four 5 storey condos/apartments and a bunch of townhomes.

Sherwood Crossing (a Killam/RioCan development)

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 6:09 PM

The food court is the most depressing place in Charlottetown I’ve ever laid eyes on. It was always pretty dim but my god ever since COVID it’s literally a shell of its former self. Only the seats right up by the restaurants are open and the rest of the food court is fenced off with tape and no lights on.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
They are already going to Public Consultation for a portion of this property. It includes four 5 storey condos/apartments and a bunch of townhomes.

Sherwood Crossing (a Killam/RioCan development)
These renderings are beautiful!! I wonder what the plans are for the mall property site itself. I have a feeling the area where dollarama is may be turned into apartments.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 2:30 AM

Quote:
These renderings are beautiful!! I wonder what the plans are for the mall property site itself. I have a feeling the area where dollarama is may be turned into apartments.
It looks really nice, I hope it gets done. But it isn't connected to the mall. I think if they built apartments that were connected to the mall, they'd be very popular and likely would be snapped up quickly. Like I said, I don't know if something like this is even on their radar, but it is a trend in many other places. The concept is to diversify by adding non retail revenue to make the malls more financially stable.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
It looks really nice, I hope it gets done. But it isn't connected to the mall. I think if they built apartments that were connected to the mall, they'd be very popular and likely would be snapped up quickly. Like I said, I don't know if something like this is even on their radar, but it is a trend in many other places. The concept is to diversify by adding non retail revenue to make the malls more financially stable.
Public Meeting went well with a couple of NIMBYS with the usual complaints, traffic, water, green space preservation (it's not a green space), etc. Lots and lots of letters of support. Looks good!!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 11:38 AM

University Residence

I suspect they'll need a bigger crane. Six more floors to go on
top of this and a large addition to the south.

Last edited by Siriusb; Sep 8, 2020 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
The developer agrees with my statement to maybe increase the height up a couple of floors to allow more green space which is a concern on this development. Also to allow underground parking.
Seven to eight floors would shrink the building footprint. We'll see what happens!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
There are already apartments above Dollarama, although no one has lived up there for a few decades...I wouldn’t be shocked to see this corner of the mall redeveloped to include apartments. Having an indoor connection to the mall and a fitness centre would be a big perk for some people. I’m surprised the existing apartments were not fixed up and rented years ago.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 2:36 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5119870

When I read the article again, it seems like it just ends up talking about this new development. I was hoping that part of the mall could be redeveloped.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5119870

When I read the article again, it seems like it just ends up talking about this new development. I was hoping that part of the mall could be redeveloped.
I'm not a mall owner, but to me it would make sense to create another revenue stream, especially in light of the brick & mortar retail environment. I guess it all comes down to return on investment. But since it's a trend elsewhere, there must be some merit to the idea. And it would really give that end of the mall a fresh new face-lift. Just being connected to the mall would surely be a perk that a lot of people would find attractive.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 7:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not a mall owner, but to me it would make sense to create another revenue stream, especially in light of the brick & mortar retail environment. I guess it all comes down to return on investment. But since it's a trend elsewhere, there must be some merit to the idea. And it would really give that end of the mall a fresh new face-lift. Just being connected to the mall would surely be a perk that a lot of people would find attractive.
The good news is that RioCan has already done that, and done it well! Check out these projects.
https://riocanliving.com/#portfolio

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 8:00 PM

Quote:
The good news is that RioCan has already done that, and done it well! Check out these projects.
https://riocanliving.com/#portfolio
Looks like they have the capacity to create a signature project if they wanted to.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 10:43 AM

University Residence

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 7:32 PM

Stratford Apartment Development

In traveling around Stratford, it never ceases to amaze me of the development there. I counted 10 new apartments that I could see that are being built or nearing completion. Not to mention the many new houses specifically in the new Foxwoods development and the many single new homes throughout Stratford.
I noticed the new Home Hardware is soon to open and more businesses.
I'll have to follow the Stratford town council meetings and permit approvals more closely.
Here are a few pics of some of the apartments.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 7:36 PM

Stratford Dale Drive Apartments

One of the larger apartment complexes nearing completion.

I believe there is a similar one being built in Montague.
Anyone got any photos of this?

Last edited by Siriusb; Sep 8, 2020 at 1:20 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces