HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 2:51 PM

East Coast Trucking International

The footings are being installed at this moment.

Last edited by Siriusb; Sep 8, 2020 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
The stakes are in the ground for this one. We should see heavy equipment
out and about soon.
Lot 19-1 Sherwood Road,
Site prep is underway.

Last edited by Siriusb; Sep 8, 2020 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 3:10 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I was in Charlottetown last week and wow, your mall needs some help . Charlottetown is so busy and thriving in every other regard, why is the mall so rough?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I was in Charlottetown last week and wow, your mall needs some help . Charlottetown is so busy and thriving in every other regard, why is the mall so rough?
Which mall?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Which mall?
Probably both. They’re both in rough shape.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Probably both. They’re both in rough shape.
I blame the island shopper who would rather pay the $47 bridge toll and gas and head over to Moncton. There is a hell of a lot could be here but it is slow in coming and I think this is one of the reasons.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 1:12 AM

John Yeo Plaza

Last edited by Siriusb; Sep 8, 2020 at 1:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 1:15 AM

Construction delayed on 8-storey apartment complex on Charlottetown Waterfront

CBC NEWS

COVID-19 has put it, and a number of other projects, behind schedule.......

"Waiting to catch up on a few projects as no available competitive workforce ready to start this project,"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...ront-1.5696514oject

-----

I can understand this as APM has 3 new projects that just started in the last week, East Coast International, King Kar, John Yeo and also the St Peter's Rd development.

Last edited by Siriusb; Aug 23, 2020 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 1:36 AM

King Kar on John Yeo Drive

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 2:14 PM

Discover Kia Charlottetown

Discover Kia is finally closed in and is proceeding towards its fall opening.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 2:25 PM

Ironwood Apartments

These apartments are proceeding at a slow pace but it is proceeding. I suspect the shortage of some lumber and or workers is impacting this.

Last edited by Siriusb; Sep 8, 2020 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 8:37 PM

Cool

Quote:
UPEI Residence

The go-ahead to continue with the foundation work on the South wing was

APPROVED
550 University Avenue,
New Residence - Phase 1:
South wing foundation
The steel is going up!

Last edited by Siriusb; Sep 8, 2020 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
The mall has been like that since the 70's. A few renos and a few large box retailers have come and gone. The city has grown around it and it has come to the point there just isn't any room to expand.
We need a new location with a bigger selection of stores. Maybe they can expand out front but I doubt they want to.
Charlottetown will soon find out that the mall will need to do something. It is growing in population, and fast.
Like I said earlier, a lot of Islanders head to Moncton and that too adds to the expansion question mark.

Last edited by Siriusb; Aug 24, 2020 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
The mall has been like that since the 70's. A few renos and a few large box retailers have come and gone. The city has grown around it and it has come to the point there just isn't any room to expand.
We need a new location with a bigger selection of stores. Maybe they can expand out front but I doubt they want to.
Charlottetown will soon find out that the mall will need to do something. It is growing in population, and fast.
Like I said earlier, a lot of Islanders head to Moncton and that too adds to the expansion question mark.
My grandfather worked for the provincial planning in PEI and says that a couple of decades ago, a guy wanted to take the land where homesense, toysrus, Oshkosh, gnc, dominos, and all those stores are (back when it was just a field) and wanted to build a giant mall there with multiple floors and over 100 stores but it never happened.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickle View Post
My grandfather worked for the provincial planning in PEI and says that a couple of decades ago, a guy wanted to take the land where homesense, toysrus, Oshkosh, gnc, dominos, and all those stores are (back when it was just a field) and wanted to build a giant mall there with multiple floors and over 100 stores but it never happened.
Yep, I remember it well. Now look at what we are left with. At least he had vision for the future which is lacking in this city. They better wake up as this place is booming. More people want to live here and all we need is to look at the Haviland project to see that there is no vision for the future by those against it!. They are still stuck in the 1970's.

Last edited by Siriusb; Aug 25, 2020 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Yep, I remember it well. Now look at what we are left with. At least he had vision for the future which is lacking in this city. They better wake up as this place is booming. More people want to live here and all we need is to look at the Haviland project to see that there is no vision for the future by those against it!. They are still stuck.In the 1970's.
That proposed mall project ended up in a legal battle that lasted decades: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...rules-1.661453

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
That proposed mall project ended up in a legal battle that lasted decades: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...rules-1.661453
I remember it well! Thanks for finding the article!
The present mall is going no place. Unfortunately this one that could have been, didn't neither.
Anything over what we have now would've been a vast improvement.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
There is a trend in other parts of Canada where mall owners are adding a residential component to their malls, building up. I read an article recently where a target demographic has been retired people.

Not sure if this would be beneficial in this case, or if something like this is even on the owners radar. But the difficulties that retail is facing are prompting malls to think outside the box, and add a different revenue stream to make them more financially sound.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
I remember it well! Thanks for finding the article!
The present mall is going no place. Unfortunately this one that could have been, didn't neither.
Anything over what we have now would've been a vast improvement.
There were various plans by the different owners of Charlottetown Mall over the years to make big improvements, but at the end of the day, none of them really see the return on investment, and the plans get scrapped.

One plan I saw would have turned the former Shoppers location (now two clothing stores) into a new food court, and to convert the Zellers portion of the mall into dozens of spaces for stores with a grid layout like Champlain Mall, but also the ability to add a second level for future expansion. I believe Zellers was planning a new Charlottetown store at the time, so this was a grand plan to revitalize the mall if its anchor left. It was a pretty cool plan, and would have been a major improvement.

The Charlottetown Mall suffers from its snake-like layout. People don't visit the mall, they go in the door nearest the store they want to visit, then they leave. Malls are / were suppose to be destinations.

I think we'll see a redevelopment of the mall in the next decade or so, though, we a bigger focus on housing and the mall being a destination for those residents - it's already happening, really.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Construction delayed on 8-storey apartment complex on Charlottetown Waterfront

CBC NEWS

COVID-19 has put it, and a number of other projects, behind schedule.......

"Waiting to catch up on a few projects as no available competitive workforce ready to start this project,"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...ront-1.5696514oject

-----

I can understand this as APM has 3 new projects that just started in the last week, East Coast International, King Kar, John Yeo and also the St Peter's Rd development.

Killam's latest investor release says this building is only slated for construction between 2022-2025. My guess is Tim Banks is just playing the blame game, that he does so well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces