HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 2:08 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Industrial development in Moncton is smokin' hot right now!!!

High demand for industrial park land has non-profit (MID) eyeing expansions
Moncton Industrial Development Ltd. says land sales continue to be strong
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Mar 04, 2024 5:29 PM AST | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...sion-1.7132884

Quote:
Moncton Industrial Development Ltd. (MID) is expanding two of its parks, hopes to begin a large expansion of a third this year, and recently bought a swathe of land for a whole new park already expected to be sold out by 2030.

Pierre Dupuis, general manager of the non-profit company, said it is selling 75 to 80 acres per year compared to 30 acres around 2018.
Quote:
As a result, the company is about to request that city council expand what's known as the urban boundary, a limit meant to reduce sprawl, even as the municipality eyes more compact residential development over the next 25 years.

An urban growth strategy presented to city council last week says "the MID land inventory is being sold and developed at an accelerated rate that continuously requires the expansion of new employment lands to meet current and projected demands. This is directly impacting the overall structure and serviceable areas of the City."

Bill Budd, the city's director of planning and development, told councillors last week municipal staff are working closely with MID on expansion plans as they eye future locations.
Highlights:

Main MID Industrial Park - fully sold
Caledonia Industrial Park - fully sold (40 acre expansion underway)
Harrisville Logistics Park (SW corner of the TCH/15 interchange, currently under construction) - 124 acres, 66% pre-sold
Moncton East Business Park - 70% sold
MID West Industrial Park - approximately 70% sold. A 250 acre expansion is planned for south of the CNR mainline, already with 90 acres pre-sold

But wait, there's more!!!

Quote:
But even with those expansions, MID is already eyeing development of another new industrial park.

In September it bought 145 acres of land north of the Trans-Canada Highway between Mapleton Road and McLaughlin Drive.

The urban growth strategy presented to council last week says that if current trends continue, MID expects that land will be sold and developed before 2030.
This last bit is out of the blue. This is virgin land, not far from the McLaughlin Road reservoir. To develop this land, there would have to be an expansion to the municipal service boundary. The city has been loath to expanding the service boundary for residential development, but, I think they would be more amenable to doing this for industrial development.

But, what about access??? It is difficult to imagine that principle access would be via Mapleton Road. This street is a dead end north of the TCH, and, there is a large subdivision located there, as well as a campground. McLaughlin Road would be equally as problematic, especially as there is currently no TCH interchange on McLaughlin.

To do this right, an interchange at TCH/McLaughlin would have to be constructed (I am 95% sure this is in the cards anyway) and/or a brand new interchange with the TCH between Mapleton and McLaughlin created. This might be possible, and, would also have the added benefit of providing direct highway access to the "Vision Lands."

Hmmmmmm......

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Mar 04, 2024 5:29 PM AST | Last Updated: 4 hours ago

Highlights:

Main MID Industrial Park - fully sold
Caledonia Industrial Park - fully sold (40 acre expansion underway)
Harrisville Logistics Park (SW corner of the TCH/15 interchange, currently under construction) - 124 acres, 66% pre-sold
Moncton East Business Park - 70% sold
MID West Industrial Park - approximately 70% sold. A 250 acre expansion is planned for south of the CNR mainline, already with 90 acres pre-sold

But wait, there's more!!!

This last bit is out of the blue. This is virgin land, not far from the McLaughlin Road reservoir. To develop this land, there would have to be an expansion to the municipal service boundary. The city has been loath to expanding the service boundary for residential development, but, I think they would be more amenable to doing this for industrial development.

But, what about access??? It is difficult to imagine that principle access would be via Mapleton Road. This street is a dead end north of the TCH, and, there is a large subdivision located there, as well as a campground. McLaughlin Road would be equally as problematic, especially as there is currently no TCH interchange on McLaughlin.

To do this right, an interchange at TCH/McLaughlin would have to be constructed (I am 95% sure this is in the cards anyway) and/or a brand new interchange with the TCH between Mapleton and McLaughlin created. This might be possible, and, would also have the added benefit of providing direct highway access to the "Vision Lands."

Hmmmmmm......
The land that they bought was acquired from Thrive. I remember them having a listing for it on their website. I was wondering who had bought it after the listing was removed. It is adjacent to the campground (on the east side of it) and is south west of the reservoir. I imagine it would lineup perfectly to have another highway exit here as well.

I also recently noticed that a large section of the vision lands west has been consolidated together into a single parcel. This is the lands immediately north of the Mapleton Centre retail area. I know that some of this land was also previously (or currently) owned by thrive as well. If a land consolidation is taking place both north and south of the TCH, this would make it much easier to connect the developments, as you’d eliminate multiple party’s. This will be something to watch.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 4:03 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
If a land consolidation is taking place both north and south of the TCH, this would make it much easier to connect the developments, as you’d eliminate multiple party’s. This will be something to watch.
Indeed. I smell a whole brand new interchange coming, just like the Harrisville Blvd interchange which was built by MID to access the Caledonia Industrial Park (but also conveniently connecting to Dieppe Blvd too). I think it's gonna happen again - an interchange for the new industrial park here (but conveniently connecting to the Vision Lands too).

It's just too perfect.......

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 12:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The most intriguing thing about the industrial park expansions going on around Moncton is what is up with the MID West expansion next to the CNR mainline. 90 acres have been pre sold, despite not even a single bucket of earth having been dug.

The word is that there are two large companies planning major distribution centres in this particular park. Their interest is based on the fact they want direct rail access for their facilities. I am really curious as to which two companies these are. Are we talking Amazon, Costco, maybe Walmart???

I know that Walmart has already built a distribution centre in the Caledonia Industrial Park, but that is used strictly for food distribution. I have heard rumours that they might be interested in a second distribution centre in the city for general merchandise.

I am very interested in the MID West expansion........

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 6:04 PM

Quote:
The most intriguing thing about the industrial park expansions going on around Moncton is what is up with the MID West expansion next to the CNR mainline. 90 acres have been pre sold, despite not even a single bucket of earth having been dug.

The word is that there are two large companies planning major distribution centres in this particular park. Their interest is based on the fact they want direct rail access for their facilities. I am really curious as to which two companies these are. Are we talking Amazon, Costco, maybe Walmart???

I know that Walmart has already built a distribution centre in the Caledonia Industrial Park, but that is used strictly for food distribution. I have heard rumours that they might be interested in a second distribution centre in the city for general merchandise.

I am very interested in the MID West expansion........
AFAIK the closest Amazon fulfillment center to us is in Montreal. With the recent & expected population growth in eastern Canada, we could very well be on their radar. It would be a great get for Moncton to have an Amazon presence in the city.

The jobs that the industrial parks are generating have to be creating a huge spin-off effect in the Moncton economy.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
AFAIK the closest Amazon fulfillment center to us is in Montreal. With the recent & expected population growth in eastern Canada, we could very well be on their radar. It would be a great get for Moncton to have an Amazon presence in the city.

The jobs that the industrial parks are generating have to be creating a huge spin-off effect in the Moncton economy.
An Amazon fulfillment centre has already been annouced for Dartmouth.

Last edited by Haliguy; Mar 5, 2024 at 8:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
An Amazon fulfillment centre has already been accounced for Dartmouth.
OK thanks. Scratch the Moncton idea then.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 2:00 PM

There is a crew tearing down the old Esquire Tavern/Little Darlings building this morning on Mountain Road near Papa Johns.

It's completely demolished.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 2:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo1 View Post
There is a crew tearing down the old Esquire Tavern/Little Darlings building this morning on Mountain Road near Papa Johns.

It's completely demolished.
It's destined to be a parking lot for the adjacent funeral home.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 2:30 PM

Quote:
It's destined to be a parking lot for the adjacent funeral home.
That would be a waste of high traffic real estate to say the least...but wouldn't surprise me.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 3:17 AM

Quote:

AllNewBrunswick has an new article posted online with the headline "New Moncton Industrial Park Lands First Buyer". It's a subscription based website, so can't view the article for details. https://allnewbrunswick.com/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
AllNewBrunswick has an new article posted online with the headline "New Moncton Industrial Park Lands First Buyer". It's a subscription based website, so can't view the article for details. https://allnewbrunswick.com/
Update: Someone over on Retail Talk and Share kindly provided info from the article.

Quote:
“ For the industrial park, it is an Ontario Trucking company, Martian Properties Inc. they paid $4.67 Million ($350,000 an acre for 13.2 acres). The property is on Babineau Boulevard East which had great visibility from Veteran's Memorial Highway, and that's what they wanted, was visibility on the highway.

They don't know what they plan on putting there though. There are 2 more sales that were expected in March but got pushed to May and looking at 2 more sales in late summer, fall”.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That would be in the Harrisville Logistics Park (under construction), and the highway visibility would be from Route 15.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 12:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is the link to the pdf of Moncton's recently updated Urban Growth Strategy report:

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/urban-g...LFp_iqlfmd93Hk

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 2:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

An interesting read........

Moncton effort to protect waterways from road salt gets encouraging results
Ducks Unlimited reports improved water quality when runoff is diverted to specially built wetland
Hannah Rudderham · CBC News · Posted: Mar 10, 2024 6:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ject-1.7138391

A worthwhile initiative to protect the Jonathon Creek watershed.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 10:57 PM

Quote:
An Amazon fulfillment centre has already been annouced for Dartmouth.
Are you referring to the one that is currently open?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster chucker View Post
Are you referring to the one that is currently open?
Yea must be referring to the one that has been open since 2021. I believe it is a warehouse so a step down from a full fulfillment center. Have two relatives that work there as drivers.

https://hiring.amazon.ca/jobDetail/e...-CA&seoIndex=1

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 1:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is the link for the March PAC meeting for the city of Moncton:

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/pac/PAC...re_du_jour.pdf

The only item of note is this:

Quote:
Jonathan Park Unit 5 – Land for Public Purposes - The Tentative Subdivision Plan involves the creation of Land for Public Purposes and 1 lot for future residential development.
Curiously, there is no supporting documentation posted on the PAC website.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
Yea must be referring to the one that has been open since 2021. I believe it is a warehouse so a step down from a full fulfillment center. Have two relatives that work there as drivers.

https://hiring.amazon.ca/jobDetail/e...-CA&seoIndex=1
It was annouced as a fullfillement Centre. Maybe it never came to be and just ended being a warehouse, I don't know.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:12 PM

Quote:
It was annouced as a fullfillement Centre. Maybe it never came to be and just ended being a warehouse, I don't know.
My understanding is that there is little difference between the two. It's a designation by sq/ft and perhaps some other features like capability to fill third party orders and such. Seems that the lines are a bit blurry, but my family that works there always corrects me.

I'm sure at some point NB will have some sort of Amazon presence. Despite my personal efforts to avoid them at all cost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces