HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 5:17 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
I think Buncher should take a page out of DLA+ portfolio...

On a different note, I noticed a while back someone posted old photos of inclines running from the Strip to the Hill. I'd like to save them and submit them to my professor back at my college (Millersville Univ. of PA). He's teaching a PA geography class and is having his Pittsburgh discussion next week. He has a pic of one of the inclines from the Liberty Ave. perspective...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
I think Buncher should take a page out of DLA+ portfolio...
Didn't they already? At least for the portion of the proposed Buncher development along the river behind the Produce Terminal, it is a very similar concept, and by the same firm (DLA+).

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
This is not so much about the building itself as about Peduto firing a warning shot across the bow of Buncher and all developers in the city. This is him saying that it's not business as usual and you're not going to get the city to rubber stamp any lazy suburban-looking project you come up with just because you threaten to leave the site as a big parking lot.
My concern is that Peduto's warning shot will be misconstrued by Buncher. I assume that most developers in the city will have an appreciation for the current environment, one in which a "better" (more urban, more sophisticated) design can still make financial sense. So most developers will play ball with Peduto. But I have heard from so many people that the Buncher people are irrational and stubborn and unwilling to adapt to outside ideas. Buncher could easily decide to keep the property as a parking lot for another generation. That said, Peduto and his staff probably have the MO on Buncher and will not over-reach.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 8:26 PM

It is probably worth noting that Buncher has explicitly disclaimed the notion that they would abandon the project entirely if they can't get their exact way on the Produce Terminal. In fact even when the TIF issue blew up, they didn't abandon the project, they just abandoned the TIF.

So personally, I am not so worried about the parking lot scenario. I am worried, however, that the public won't be smart about how it uses its leverage, such that we don't get the best possible project out of Buncher.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:18 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Didn't they already? At least for the portion of the proposed Buncher development along the river behind the Produce Terminal, it is a very similar concept, and by the same firm (DLA+).
Ok, you have a point there, but I meant in terms of retaining the Produce Terminal in its entirety and incorporating that into their overall plan as a center piece. I dunno, maybe I'm being overly critical -- as usual...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It is probably worth noting that Buncher has explicitly disclaimed the notion that they would abandon the project entirely if they can't get their exact way on the Produce Terminal. In fact even when the TIF issue blew up, they didn't abandon the project, they just abandoned the TIF.

So personally, I am not so worried about the parking lot scenario. I am worried, however, that the public won't be smart about how it uses its leverage, such that we don't get the best possible project out of Buncher.
Good point about the TIF, although that news immediately made me suspect that Buncher would be more tempted to do their project on the cheap.

Might be that Buncher proceeding with their property but abandoning the purchase of the Produce Terminal would be the best outcome. Buncher rejected idea of the "cuts" and insisted on demolishing the western third of the building. If Buncher walks and another developer shows interest, we could be looking at a greater range of redevelopment options, one of which---the one that the Peduto and the city would probably push---would be a complete restoration at the current length.

I cannot fathom that there is no developer who would not be able to do something grand with the Terminal at its original length. I am equally convinced that a plan to provide the necessary access to Buncher's property can be devised.

Wasn't the Terminal the location of the Pittsburgh Public Market prior to its recent relocation to larger quarters? The Terminal space would make a great wholesale market, there is ample space for food "start ups" and such a facility would be a good compliment to the residential/commercial space that Buncher eventually builds.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 2:16 PM

There is actually a development angle to this story--the woman they are profiling is planning to develop a retail and condos complex on a vacant lot in Squirrel Hill--but it is also just a fantastic read about a family which has come from Italy and found the good life in Pittsburgh:

http://www.popcitymedia.com/features...ly092813.aspx?

I do wonder what vacant lot she is talking about--there are not a lot of those in Squirrel Hill.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 2:17 PM

Got some nice press in Huffington Post for our VIA Festival, which kicked off on Monday. Tonight begins the big room shows at The Rex Theater. Tomorrow and Saturday will be taking place at our pop-up venue in East Liberty – an abandoned family center across from Whole Foods. We'll be converting it into an indoor audio/visual interactive playground for two nights:

9 Reasons You Should Experience VIA Festival in Pittsburgh
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sarah-...b_3977288.html

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
Industrial Scientific finally broke ground on their new global headquarters in Robinson:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...ground-on.html

At 200,000 sq ft, this would be scaled back a bit; I recall original plans called for a 330,000 sq ft structure and approx 100' high (about 8-9 stories).

I have yet to find any renderings which is quite unusual since ground has been broken. The architect firm however has some innovative designs around the world.

http://www.idcarchitects.com/portfolio/default.asp
Do you know where in Robinson this building is going to be? This is pretty cool.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Franks View Post
Do you know where in Robinson this building is going to be? This is pretty cool.
It will be a high visibility site next to Bayer's campus along the Parkway West, off the Settlers Ridge exit.

http://triblive.com/business/2337404...#axzz2gflLFfX1

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 4:38 PM

Woo hoo!!!!

http://www.eastliberty.org/post/demo...transit-center
Quote:

Oct 2, 2013
Demolition to begin for East Liberty Transit Center
By
East Liberty Development, Inc.

From The Mosites Company:

The demolition of the Tennis Center and the Citizens Drive through has begun. Demolition of these buildings will be followed by demolition of the two pedestrian bridges connecting East Liberty Station to Stevenson Place and the Old East Liberty Station Loop (across from Target).

At this time, the contractor will be taking over the tennis center parking lot. If you have been utilizing this lot, please be notified the lot will no longer be available.

Please note, the Stevenson pay lot will remain open and should not be affected during demolition. The installation of the fence should not affect traffic flow on Stevenson or Annie Place or access to businesses.
someone go snap some pictures!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 4:43 PM

Also, it looks like the cross state amtrack routes have been saved. Only cost 15.5 mil a year...

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...gh_trains.html

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 8:08 PM

Great news about both the transit center and keeping Amtrak service. Hopefully at some point we can invest in improving the Harrisburg-Pittsburgh part of the route, but keeping the service going is a necessary pre-condition.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 10:52 AM

Proposal will make Downtown Pittsburgh core totally bus-free

The article states that "38.4% or nearly 50,000 people, take the bus to work Downtown". I am surprised that this figure is so low.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 11:31 AM
Ex Houstonian

That would be awesome, the bus stops are so trashy.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 1:06 PM

Liberty, Stanwix, and Boulevard of the Allies have the potential to be great streets for a dedicated bus circulation route. The question is how you complete the loop back to the East Busway, since Grant already gets congested at rush hour and does not have any parking lanes to give up.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 2:38 PM

Obviously, we need more cars downtown.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 3:00 PM
Eurosceptic

I don't really trust Fitzgerald... and I while the buses are loud, annoying and struggle through some tight intersections... and some of the overflowing bus stops essentially function as blight on the Downtown cityscape... I think there may be a lot of negative consequences to this plan.

I'd really have to see a map before making up my mind... our Downtown is pretty uniquely shaped so that the most interior point isn't that far away from the edges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Proposal will make Downtown Pittsburgh core totally bus-free

The article states that "38.4% or nearly 50,000 people, take the bus to work Downtown". I am surprised that this figure is so low.
Add in the T, suburban bus systems (Beaver County, FACT, Mid-Mon, etc.), cyclists, and walkers (like me!)... and you get to about 50%... and while it still boggles my mind that half of Downtown workers drive to work... Downtown Pittsburgh is one of the more transit-oriented employment hubs in the U.S.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 4:22 PM

Not quite sure what my feelings are on this bus plan. It's a little scary, honestly.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 4:28 PM
Ex Houstonian

The august Wilson center for African Americans or is facing foreclosure and may shut down. Personally I think that building could be used for much better uses like retail and bars. It's always dead and the building is quite ugly IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations