HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:50 AM

They have finally started the actual drilling and it seems to be in just about the exact spot where the pedestrian bridge will end between Tower 1 and Tower 2.

Sorry for all of my speculation guys, I'm just very excited to see this one go up.

20201026_171304 by harley613, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:36 PM

Work has started on the Bayview station pedestrian bridge that will connect to Trinity Centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
They have finally started the actual drilling and it seems to be in just about the exact spot where the pedestrian bridge will end between Tower 1 and Tower 2.

Sorry for all of my speculation guys, I'm just very excited to see this one go up.

20201026_171304 by harley613, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 4:21 PM
ハルウララ

No need to apologize Harley! Appreciate the photo updates.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Work has started on the Bayview station pedestrian bridge that will connect to Trinity Centre.
Are they building the station ? Or in fact are they starting to buils the Trinity Centre it self. Because this is some big machinery for a small pedestrian bridge. Looks pretty far of the station too.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatth69 View Post
Are they building the station ? Or in fact are they starting to buils the Trinity Centre it self. Because this is some big machinery for a small pedestrian bridge. Looks pretty far of the station too.
The site plan shows the area between the tracks and towers 1/2 along the multi use pathway to be quite wide. There is even going to be a park between tower 2 and the rail line. The place where they are drilling a cassion in the picture lines up with the end of the pedestrian bridge on the site plan.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatth69 View Post
This picture gives a pretty good idea of what kind of construction is required for the Bayview upgrades (at least on the south side of the station).

As noted in the Trinity thread, these types of caissons seem pretty common around the area, and as Harley mentioned the bridge ends in the area that they're currently drilling. One point I don't think has been mentioned yet, but the way they've fenced off the work site for the current work strongly suggests it's limited to that part of the site, specifically for the bridge work.

My personal guess is that once they've finished this caisson, they'll start working on the opposite side of the tracks (where they've already laid gravel down) and then they'll be out of the way for Trinity to start the actual construction of the towers.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 3:16 AM
BANNED

Are there platforms on both sides of the track? Shouldn't they try to future-proof this station somewhat just in case we decide to use the POW bridge for transit?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat-Train View Post
Are there platforms on both sides of the track? Shouldn't they try to future-proof this station somewhat just in case we decide to use the POW bridge for transit?
I think it's pretty easy to tell from the picture I linked.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat-Train View Post
Double tracked with two side platforms. No new vertical circulation to the Confederation Line platforms though; the two platforms will be linked by a "walkway" on the north side.

That said, the west track/platform will be use the vast majority of the time, similar to Tunney's and Blair (in both cases, the north track is used).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:19 PM
Busy Beaver

The way Bayview was built (and is being built), it's as if it was designed to sabotage the concept of extending the line across the PoW bridge. If that ever happened, the station would have to be significantly altered and two sets of elevators and stairs would have to be added. At any rate, I predict the result would be a franken-station where wayfinding will be a nightmare.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
The way Bayview was built (and is being built), it's as if it was designed to sabotage the concept of extending the line across the PoW bridge. If that ever happened, the station would have to be significantly altered and two sets of elevators and stairs would have to be added. At any rate, I predict the result would be a franken-station where wayfinding will be a nightmare.
It sure seems like it.

There might be a little bit of space for vertical circulation on the east side of the Trillium Line but it would be very tight. I'm also not sure how they would re-route the Trillium pathway.

I could imagine a few configurations that could work but be very inconvenient. For example, fare gates on both sides to get under the bridge within the east concourse, and elevators only between the Line 1 and 2 platforms. To use the stairs, riders would have to get out of the fare paid zone to get back in on the other Line.

The Trillium pathway would need to tunnel under the east concourse.

It was a brand new station. No reason why they couldn't design it to maximize possibilities instead of limiting options. For Stage 2, they completely redesigned Limebank station AFTER the contact was awarded to open up future possibilities.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 2:00 PM

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:05 PM

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:21 PM

https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/...43834027888643

Consultations starting tomorrow on renaming Carling station to Dow's Lake (Yes please!!) and Gladstone to Corso Italia (...What?!).

Looks like that email J.OT13 sent worked?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:39 PM

One of the first things that came to mind...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post

Consultations starting tomorrow on renaming Carling station to Dow's Lake (Yes please!!) and Gladstone to Corso Italia (...What?!).

Would you prefer it if it were called "Little Italy"?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 1:35 AM

Personally I think Gladstone is fine, at least until some point in the distant future where it gets crossed by another rapid transit line. Then we'd rename it Gladstone West

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post

Dows Lake I'm totally fine with, but Corso Italia instead of Gladstone??

I thought Gladstone's "italian name" was Via Marconi, but I'd prefer they just stick with Gladstone, or (Preston-Gladstone).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post

I thought Gladstone's "italian name" was Via Marconi, but I'd prefer they just stick with Gladstone, or (Preston-Gladstone).
I saw someone suggest Corso Italia-Gladstone, which I'd be fine with. Combining it with Gladstone maintains more geographic and navigational significance to the station name.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post

"Gladstone" is fine, and is in conformity with the general principle that, barring some extenuating circumstance, street crossed = name of station. Given that there is no higher-order transit planned for anywhere in central Ottawa for the rest of this century at least, there won't be any worries about a conflicting Gladstone station anywhere else.

"Corso Italia" is a stupid Jim Watson pander.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation