HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:58 PM

I thought so....just couldn't recall if we had the ability to see the finalists proposals, rendering, or other info. So excited for this project..... can't wait to see it move forward....hopefully!!! Could truly change downtown in a huge way!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 7:49 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I thought so....just couldn't recall if we had the ability to see the finalists proposals, rendering, or other info. So excited for this project..... can't wait to see it move forward....hopefully!!! Could truly change downtown in a huge way!
Anything better than the last proposal we had. I didn't mind the oval shape of the tower and it had decent height. But the setbacks and garage were horrendous. And honestly, this should incorporate a new Phoenix tallest. I'd like to see 550', but 500' will also work for me.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 9:07 PM

Agreed on the height. This truly could be a new hub and center for so much.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 7:17 AM

They definitely need to go big or go home when it comes to Central Station. We can have an iconic building if only the right developers are chosen. That's why I loved the Davis version, it was so unique and pushed to new heights. Cityscape failed us in getting a new tallest so I'm hoping it can happen with this.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
They definitely need to go big or go home when it comes to Central Station. We can have an iconic building if only the right developers are chosen. That's why I loved the Davis version, it was so unique and pushed to new heights. Cityscape failed us in getting a new tallest so I'm hoping it can happen with this.
Considering cityscape started rolling in 2007-2009 Im happy we managed to get anything at all

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:32 PM

Speaking of uncompleted multi building projects.

The one that I really wished would have been completed is the IBM punch card looking building and it's sister buildings that were never built at the NE corner of Central and Osborn. Originally there was suppose to be a identical building built to look exactly like the one that was built just opposite of it and then in the middle of the two on the outside edge of them was to be built a taller version of both. By chance does anyone have a picture of that original proposal? When you think about it there is no reason that could not be completed now if someone took up the torch and ran with it because that building still looks great.
Also if I remember correctly Del Webb had originally planned to build several other high rises around the three building he built on Central making it the Rockefeller Center of the West.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 6:01 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
The one that I really wished would have been completed is the IBM punch card looking building and it's sister buildings that were never built at the NE corner of Central and Osborn. Originally there was suppose to be a identical building built to look exactly like the one that was built just opposite of it and then in the middle of the two on the outside edge of them was to be built a taller version of both. By chance does anyone have a picture of that original proposal? When you think about it there is no reason that could not be completed now if someone took up the torch and ran with it because that building still looks great.
Also if I remember correctly Del Webb had originally planned to build several other high rises around the three building he built on Central making it the Rockefeller Center of the West.
There was never any plan for a third building for the Financial Center as far as I can tell. Only the twin completing the horseshoe. I have looked in newspapers.com for renderings of either and have found nothing.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 6:09 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
I've never seen a proposal for 3 buildings for the Phoenix Financial Center, just the 2 building proposal. You can see where the footprint of the second building was supposed to go when you look down from the upper floors. It's just a parking lot now.

As for someone ever completing the remaining building, the Fin Center is in pretty bad disrepair internally and externally. If it wasn't for the state leasing nearly 80% of the building, it would probably be mostly vacant as the remaining floors/office are very outdated. DES has paid for almost all floor renovations for it's offices thankfully just to keep the tower looking nice for the employees. But it would cost a large amount to repair the structure of the building, the surrounding rotundas and the garage is a real mess. There are cracks in the façade, lots of leakage when it runs, window film all needing replaced, denting in the brass columns and the concrete walkways all need replaced. But I still love the building. It's a gem. If someone had the change to spare, I'd love to see it fully renovated. But it won't happen with the current owner.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 6:15 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
There was never any plan for a third building for the Financial Center as far as I can tell. Only the twin completing the horseshoe. I have looked in newspapers.com for renderings of either and have found nothing.
Hate to link to Rogue's website, but there is a rendering/sketch posted there:

Source: http://www.roguecolumnist.com/rogue_...rchitects.html

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I've never seen a proposal for 3 buildings for the Phoenix Financial Center, just the 2 building proposal. You can see where the footprint of the second building was supposed to go when you look down from the upper floors. It's just a parking lot now.

As for someone ever completing the remaining building, the Fin Center is in pretty bad disrepair internally and externally. If it wasn't for the state leasing nearly 80% of the building, it would probably be mostly vacant as the remaining floors/office are very outdated. DES has paid for almost all floor renovations for it's offices thankfully just to keep the tower looking nice for the employees. But it would cost a large amount to repair the structure of the building, the surrounding rotundas and the garage is a real mess. There are cracks in the façade, lots of leakage when it runs, window film all needing replaced, denting in the brass columns and the concrete walkways all need replaced. But I still love the building. It's a gem. If someone had the change to spare, I'd love to see it fully renovated. But it won't happen with the current owner.
The guys that do Postino, Windsor, JJoyride etc. Are moving into the main Rotunda as theri corperate office so maybe there is some hope for the punchcard yet.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Maybe for JJ's sake they will re-route the Union Pacific Rail line and run it thru the building and that way they can rename it Mega Station!!!

Also where is TakeFive?? Isn't he the board's resident transit nerd? He should share his opinion! Maybe we can size up Phoenix Mega Station vs. Denver's Union Station??
Every City/metro is different. Seattle is the next great transit city, btw. In another decade it will be right up there with the Original Six transit cities.

Phoenix metro with its triangular urban points of Scottsdale Rd, Tempe and downtown Phoenix/Camelback corridor doesn't need one primary transit center.

Coincidentally, I recently had a vigorous debate with Cirrus about why Phoenix was rated 47th (worst) for congestion despite being the 11th largest MSA. He was sure it was due to all the retirees and downtown Phoenix having a 'tiny' number of office workers. I managed to brilliantly defend and explain the Valley's dynamics to a skeptical textbook jockey.

In any case if you're interested in our debate you can read it HERE.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I recently came across this website, now offline, that provided the only renderings I've ever seen of the original master plan for the Financial Center, with more retail, residential, and office developments going all the way to 3rd St. The middle building over the parking garage was to be retail, and the two towers on 3rd St were to be one residential and another office use.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160427...ildings/item/4

Quote:
Though Murdock owned three entire city blocks and hired renowned bank architect W.A. Sarmiento to design a complex of buildings for the site, only the existing Phoenix Financial Center buildings were realized. From the beginning, the financial center complex was an extraordinary creative, pioneering venture. Sarmiento’s design for the entire site included two towers and two round buildings for the financial center at one end block, a center block with a shopping center, and a residential tower and office tower at the other end block. All of the buildings were to look similar to the Phoenix Financial Center. Possibly designed as early as the early 1960s, it may have been one of the earliest versions of inner city mixed-use developments to be considered in the United States.

Keeping with his desire to draw from nature and natural materials, Sarmiento stated that his inspiration for the windows came from falling raindrops. However, the tower is also known locally as the “punch card” or “piano roll” building. Additional natural features that were incorporated into the original plan such as a moat and sun-shading louvers on the round buildings were omitted in the final design due to cost considerations. However, Sarmiento did make one addition to the site after 1970. When Western Savings bought the property from Murdock they desired a connection between the round branch building’s mezzanine and the second floor of the office tower so he designed a bridge.

This is an early original rendering showing the second north tower with an asymmetrical facade to shield the southern exposure the same as the south tower, along with water feature reflecting pools, moats around the rotundas, and shades in their inverted arches.

I recommend reading through the article in the Archive.org link above, it's the best written history on the Phoenix Financial Center that I've ever come across. There are also a number of photos from the construction period, interior photos from the original opening, along with a few more renderings from the architect.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 8:48 PM
Modulator

Wow. Good stuff! Thank you for posting this!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 9:07 PM

Has anyone ever watched the Gary Shandling movie "What Planet are You From?" that was filmed at the Financial Center? Horrible movie but nice seeing those buildings on the big screen.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 3:03 AM

^^^ I've never seen the movie but I just watched the trailer and it looked like the writers were high when they wrote the script. The comments on YouTube were positive though.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:25 PM

Financial Center

Thanks for digging that out. I could have sworn there was a third building but that was a long, long time ago. Even 2 would have been nice.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 6:35 PM

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Quote:
One of the central blocks in downtown Phoenix could be transformed into a mixed-use development with two high-rise towers.

The city of Phoenix selected a proposal submitted by Electric Red Ventures LLC, a company owned by Houston-based Medistar Corp., for redevelopment of the Central Station transit depot.

The 2.6-acre site is bounded by First Avenue to the west, Central Avenue to the east, Polk Street to the north and Van Buren Street to the south. Developments submitted to the city were required to incorporate the two light rail stops and bus station on the parcel into the design.

The winning proposal features two high-rise towers that will include:

150 hotel rooms
300 market-rate residential units
217 units of student housing totaling 600 beds
47,350 square feet of ground-floor retail, restaurant and grocery uses
35,350 square feet of office
A 300-foot, 30-story tower will include the apartments and hotel. A smaller 200-foot, 18-story tower will include the student housing component. A third, three-story building will be on the site, according to information from the city.

The development’s construction is projected to have a $362 million economic impact, $127 million of which will be wages. According to an economic analysis done for the project, the development will create 1,249 permanent jobs.

Early building renderings show roof terraces with plants, and plans call for dining and retail uses along all streets, sitting space and water features. The buildings will have underground parking to include spots for the public using the restaurants and stores.

Plans call for Greystar to manage the apartments and student housing, InterContinental Hotels Group to manage the hotel, Poag Shopping Centers to manage the retail and Medistar to manage the office space.

The city released a second request for proposals to redevelop the site in June. It went through the process before for the site in 2013. During the initial planning process, developer Bill Smith of Chicago-based Smithfield Properties died. His family opted not to continue the process and sent the city back to the drawing board.

The proposal now will have to go through the city’s approval process and is expected to be before the council sometime in spring 2019. According to the proposal, Medistar expects substantial completion on the project by March 2023.
wish it was taller and more signature but its a reputable builder and a decent size.

I accept but I am not impressed if it is indeed 30 stories the rendering scale is off.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 12:25 AM

So is this the signature tower we've been waiting for? It looks great in the rendering but hardly signature. Barring a corporate move to DT I guess something on the order of 400' is just not in the cards...ugh.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 1:40 AM
Skyriser

Probably only won because it's a kitchen sink style of development that maximizes economic impact from the retail that they'll likely never fill, Poag has never worked in this kind of environment. The pittance of office is depressing.

It'll be sold at some later date like everything else, it seems silly to expect a signature development even with the competitive RFP.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest