HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 1:35 AM

Group wants to move city foward

Group hopes to put Halifax at top of heap

By STEVE PROCTOR Proctor's Piece
Fri. Nov 23 - 6:18 AM

HOW DO YOU make Halifax the most vibrant and livable city in Canada in the next decade?

That’s the challenge a small but powerful group of Halifax business leaders has been quietly exploring for the past several months.

While city councillors have been fighting about cat licensing and cynics of all stripes have been celebrating or bemoaning the loss of the Commonwealth Games or Celine Dion, a dozen men and women have been spending their Saturday mornings trying to find a bigger, brighter vision for the province and create a way for the public to embrace it.

They’ve looked at what works around the globe and decided on a made-in-Canada strategy that has been working in Vancouver since 1937.

The non-partisan grassroots group is not ready for a public launch — they are still getting their legs under them — but on Thursday they confirmed there is an appetite for new ideas. Based on word of mouth alone, 150 people showed up at the Sports Hall of Fame before breakfast to learn about the Citizens for Halifax Society.

"There’s a problem with a lack of vision," said pollster Don Mills, who led the meeting. "People are frustrated about the lack of leadership they see. People want to get things done but the city seems stuck in neutral."

As he led the meeting, Mr. Mills made it clear the society’s goal was to engage people at all levels to come together to create a framework for the future that would lead to a more vibrant, optimistic and sustainable economy. The group is not about personalities, he insisted, and it would not become a forum for whiners or complainers.

What are the challenges that have necessitated the creation of a non-partisan group with political intentions? Mr. Mills rattles them off easily: City council’s focus on inconsequential matters, low community engagement, growing negativity, the loss of identity of the city under the HRM moniker and an overly large 23-person council with rural-urban divisions that impede progress.

What will the new group work toward? He rattles those off too: Healthy relationships with all levels of government, a safe, culturally diverse city that embraces innovation, sustainability and financial viability, a greater understanding of the needs of the disadvantaged, engaged citizens, and finding candidates to reflect those priorities in a civic election.

Mr. Mills said the issue of the rural-urban split needs to be addressed as soon as possible. By that he means splitting Halifax Regional Municipality into two sections: One rural and one urban.

"Until we figure that out, it doesn’t really matter if we can change the leadership."

Mr. Mills was doing the talking Thursday, but make no mistake, the group has depth. Charter members include credit union head Jamie Baillie, technology and marketing keener Malcolm Fraser, event organizer Robert Zed, former Saint Mary’s University president Ken Ozmon, SMU external affairs czar Chuck Bridges, IWK Foundation president Robbie Shaw, office furniture king Jim Mills and Barb Stegemann, Trade Centre Ltd.’s communications manager.

Mr. Mills cautions that the group is still in its infancy. Its website won’t be up for 10 days and he’d like to see a minimum of 1,000 members, each committed to paying a $20 membership fee, before an official launch in January. It is tentatively slated to coincide with celebrations marking the 250th anniversary of democracy.

I could be wrong, but with the buzz in the room Thursday and the way people were throwing out their $20s to sign up, I hope the group reserves a big room for its coming-out party.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 4:02 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I agree that there is a problem but I also think that the urban-rural "divide" is overblown and that splitting up the HRM would not solve it. The main reason why I think this is that the rural population of the HRM just isn't very large and is rapidly shrinking in size. What is growing is the exurban commutershed in places like Hammonds Plains and Fall River, and these large lot subdivisions are definitely a part of the city and should pay some city taxes based on the local and regional services they use.

As for city council, it's hard to see it getting fixed. Reducing the size might help a bit but ultimately I think they should just lose some of their decision making power. It makes sense for them to have some say over budgets and tax rates since they represent voters but it does not make sense for them to micromanage and deal with handouts paid to Celine Dion or vote on specific developments. It seems that most cities that have seen a lot of vision and development, like Vancouver, have taken power away from elected municipal councils.

HRM by Design will deal with the planning issue somewhat. I also like the idea of a new transportation authority for the city that evaluates and carries out road, highway, and transit projects together.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
As for city council, it's hard to see it getting fixed. Reducing the size might help a bit but ultimately I think they should just lose some of their decision making power. It makes sense for them to have some say over budgets and tax rates since they represent voters but it does not make sense for them to micromanage and deal with handouts paid to Celine Dion or vote on specific developments. It seems that most cities that have seen a lot of vision and development, like Vancouver, have taken power away from elected municipal councils.

HRM by Design will deal with the planning issue somewhat. I also like the idea of a new transportation authority for the city that evaluates and carries out road, highway, and transit projects together.
Agree and agree. I think development decisions especially should be taken away from council. This works in many cities where a panel of staff and community members who understand design and urban planning approve projects instead of council. It takes a lot of the politics out of it (hopefully) and decisions are being made by people who can properly interpret a project's strengths and weakness in relation to the city's development rules and guidelines. Halifax's council just isn't trained to make some of the decisions it does.

Regional transportation authority would be great but my guess is it would still be stuck with measly budgets from council.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 4:26 AM

Is anyone else blown away by the fact that HRM has no transportation plan in place?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 6:24 PM

Why yes...yes I am. I'm working on a project featuring that very subject, and its kinda scary?! How can good development take place without a proper tranist plan?!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 10:57 PM

What kind of project?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy