HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 7:45 PM
-

I agree completely. The Project is a plus. Id be shocked if Kailas actually build anything though. Nonetheless the location is a good spot for this type of project.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 8:11 PM

Yeah, won't hurt to give them the green light and see what happens. Krauss condo project budet was $58 million, this would be $70 million. Not much difference. Compare this to 930 Poydras which is similar in size and had $64 million budget.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 8:39 PM

I'm disappointed in the planning commission as well. Canal has highrises lined up along it from I-10 to the river. Do not see how adding another 20 floor building on Canal is going to impact the Quarter. I would rather see this get built than continue walking or driving by an abandoned and blighted building.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 9:08 PM
-

Does anyone know how Kristen Palmer intends to vote?

The DDD needs to get involved in this as well. The main thing I cant understand is how the Cosmopolitan which is deeper in the quarter was ok but this building that is actually on Canal not too mention on the far north side of the district by the area where there are plenty of surface parking on Rampart isnt ok? Really confusing!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 9:27 PM

Haven't heard, but I will say this. For once the citizens posting in response of the article on nola.com are doing something constructive (usually don't even read the comments because they are just ignorant garbage). Looks like about 90% of posters are outraged and have put up Kristen Palmer's email to let her know that the general public wants this project ok'd. kgpalmer@nola.gov

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 10:10 PM
-

Ok sent in my email, it was a bit long winded but my basic premise was its on Canal(there are three buildings much higher or just as high already there), Second, its location on Canal is further north and therefore its shadows will affect a very small portion of the quarter(an area with an abundance of surface parking I might add) for a few hours at most each day. Third, the Royal Cosmopolitan proposal was much deeper in the quarter and yet that was approved. Fourth, this parcel is a critical element in reinventing Canal Street. Did I miss any other points?

Anyway, everyone on here should take a minute or two to send in a email to the councilmember and possibly CC it to other councilmembers especially the two at large seats.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 10:27 PM

I sent her an email as well. This space isnt even under the Vieux Carre Commision's jurisdiction but they want to try and throw thier weight around.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 10:32 PM
-

True, I pointed that out as well. Certainly, I think we should email the DDD to get involved in this as well as its actually in their jurisdiction.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 10:44 PM
-

1346496 New Orleans, LA Warehouse / Distribution, Clubhouse / Community Centers 12/14/2010
Description Site work and new construction of a recreational development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a new clubhouse and maintenance facility at an existing golf course. Construction is anticipated to commence in the...Click here for complete Project Details

Renovation of a municipal development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the renovation of an existing 18-hole golf course, driving range and clubhouse. ...

New Item on bidclerk. guess this is for City Park?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 4:41 PM

Royal Cosmopolitan

What is the status of the Royal Cosmopolitan? Even though it has been approved, has construction started? If not, when? Will there still be a 26 story tower built as shown in the pic below?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 7:00 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpatel View Post
What is the status of the Royal Cosmopolitan? Even though it has been approved, has construction started? If not, when? Will there still be a 26 story tower built as shown in the pic below?
As far as I know its dead and the developer had a heart attack and died a year or two ago.

Sorry about the pun!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 7:30 PM

Woolworth redevelopment website

I ran across this website this morning: http://1031canal.com/. The purpose seems to be to inform the public of the costs/benefits of the project. Includes illustrations comparing scale of FQ-side Canal St. buildings and shadows.

And an illustration of the proposed building, which I really like. It adds some nice visual diversity to Canal!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 7:33 PM
TL;DR

Both the Woolworth site and the Royal Cosmopolitan Site are between Canal and Iberville, so neither are part of the historic French Quarter.

That's not a gerrymandering, either. Historically, the land between Common and Iberville was kept as open space while the French Quarter and the CBD developed first. That's how Common St got its name (as in Boston Common).

edit: DAMN, that building is ugly. It's not the styling, either - that's acceptable. The building looks like it's put together with Legos, which probably means Kailas is intending to use precast facade pieces.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 7:43 PM

That website is impressive. Thanks for finding that.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 9:00 PM
-

Im ok with the styling but yeah Id like to see some higher quality materials used. Clearly, they are trying to replicate a South Beach style building. Check out the Lowes South Beach for an idea on what Im saying!
http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Miami-...el/index/about

As far as the Royal Cosmopolitan being in the French Quarter you are correct it technically isnt. My only reason for bringing it up was that the main gripe that the Woolworth proposal affects the character etc of the French Quarter makes no sense when one considers the Royal Cosmopolitan.

BTW I received an email from councilmember Palmers office saying the appreciate my input in this topic and will certainly take it into consideration. So I encourage everyone here to send in a nice concise email explaining your support for the project.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 10:16 PM
TL;DR

Even excluding the high-rises, the character of the buildings between Canal and Iberville is nothing like the stuff downriver of Iberville. It's all parking garages, department stores, buildings from the 1920s, etc. None of the red brick of the Quarter.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 10:44 PM
-

With all this development being proposed built etc doesn't everyone think its time the city just sells the WTC. Just get rid of the thing and let someone put it back into commerce even if they dont get top dollar they will make it up in tax revenue etc over time. Im just sick of seeing it sit there.

On another note. Ive noticed there are two Entergy substations in the CBD/Warehouse District area that are sitiing on prime real estate. Is anyone here knowledgeable on how/if those things can be developed relocated? The two main ones Im talking about:

1. Right next to Canal Place on the Riverside
2. The one that covers a whole block between S Peters and Fulton across from the Embassy Suites.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 12:11 AM

I actually like the facade of this building. It's tasteful, modern, and will be a striking difference to the historic buildings on the other side of Iberville Street.

I think it may even give people a better appreciation for the historic buildings we have, not detract from them.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 1:53 AM

I think these two pics show how absurd the rejection is. The structure at this height is zoned perfectly if you ask me.

I don't mind the design really. I do also get the Miami condo feel, mostly because of the outdoor balconies I think.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 2:01 AM

kailas website

that web page that kailas put up is really great. They lay out a great argument for letting this project go forward.

God, these preservationists really make my blood boil. I'm convinced they have no lives.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations