HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 5:53 AM
BANNED

Hot Tubs on Balconies

I assume its insane to put a hot tub on a woodframe balcony even a small one.

But what about a concrete one? Would a rooftop patio be even better?

Are modern Vancouver concrete buildings built so that a 3000lb hot tub can be on a large balcony? I heard we use 3x thicker concrete due to earthquake risk so I assume concrete buildings can easily take a hot tub?

I've seen many penthouse units with hot tubs on older buildings. Most are on the rooftop deck, two had it on the balcony (it was a large balcony).

Anyway if anyone knows their structural engineering it would be great if you could tell me how this works? Can it be anywhere on the roof/balcony or does it have to be near/ontop of a structural wall? Thanks.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 5:19 PM

A family member owns in a 2016 or 2017 concrete unit and the penthouses there had the option of having a hot tub installed during construction. Some owners opted to have an above ground style hot top placed on to their concrete patios, which is part of the rooftop patio.

I've been to the Shangri-la penthouse has well (there's two penthouses, this was the bigger one). They have a private built in swimming pool and hot tub on their rooftop patio.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 12:42 AM

You'll probably run into problems with a strata even if you had a large enough balcony for a hot tub unless it was purposed built at construction.

A typical hot tub requires around a 100-psf live load

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues