HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 12:07 AM

Recommended / Warnings for Furniture stores?

Probably not on-topic, but I thought I'd ask about furniture stores, since many of the people perusing this forum are probably home/condo-owners looking to furnish their new / newly-rented / newly-purchaesd place.

I've looked so far at HomeDelight, EQ3, Ikea, Urban Barn, and Moe's furniture collection. Does anybody have reviews, horror stories, success stories, recommendations on any particular outlets? I find that since furniture styles change so much, there aren't many sites out there that will do 'reviews' of specific tables/sofas (at least not to the level we see with Digital Cameras, lenses, cars, computer parts, etc).

There are some pretty polarizing comments out there as well, so I was hoping to get some more reasonable suggestions (or at least some pre-faced with evidence to back it up). =] Cheerio!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 2:01 AM
Vancouver User

I was actually quite happy with Yaletown Sofa (purchased at the Edgemont Village location).

They look uber cheap and a bit sketchy but they carry a number of good lines including locale products by Stylus and Van Gogh at very reasonable prices. Van Gogh is also carried by Urban Barn, fyi.

I've also purchased a little bit at the crazy International Village place. Overall experience was fine there too.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 8:04 PM

i would avoid moes from what i have heard

my friend worked there and wouldn't shop there knowing what he knows

apparently its all leftovers from the wholesale operation - moes inports stuff from china and than wholesales it to retailers across north america - you can see other stores like urban barn for instance carry the same things... anyway apparently the moes stores stock is what is either returned or just never sells or the lowest quality stuff that other retailers didn't want to buy - my friend was cleaning out a piece once and it had animal feces in it - he also got some free stuff cause it had bugs and damage to it - it was just some chairs he put outside anyway and he had many more stories about that place

also heard a few people in the industry say avoid the place - one guy is a designer and he had some clients and they decided to go off on their own and get a leather couch at moes and 3 months later they complained to him that the stain was rubbing off and the couch looked awful and he said i warned you - anyway they were trying to save some $$ and ended up watsing it and had to shell out more money for something better in the end

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 2:50 PM
Perpetual I.A.

I'm not a fan of the quality of the furniture coming out of any the stores that you mentioned. I prefer to save and buy heirloom quality. Italinteriors, Inform, Herman Miller, etc. Or just good quality used furniture (antiques). Getting a designer discount always helps though.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 5:19 PM
See ya down under, mates

I did major research on this before moving into a condo two years ago and settled on Modern Home Furnishings, on 4th in Vancouver and Marine in North Van and couldn't be happier. Even got a little sneaky and played the two stores off each other to get a ridiculously low price for a bunch of high quality solid wood stuff.

Everywhere else was poor quality or too expensive. Especially that strip of furniture places in Coquitlam near Hwy 1 and Brunette.

I got my couches at the Brick and regret it deeply, even though the couches themselves are good quality. Horrible service/scam artists.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 8:36 PM

Don't go to Moe's Home Collection!

We had the most unpleasant experience ever. Ordered a bed, paid for it in full, were told it would take 3 weeks till it gets delivered. Heard nothing for over a month, phoned and were told the BED WAS ALREADY DELIVERED. They checked again and then said that actually the bed hadn't arrived. One month later they phoned and left a message saying that the bed arrived and we were supposed to phone back to arrange for delivery. We did but I asked them if I could see the bed before it gets delivered as they said that if the bed is damaged in any way, it is between the delivery company and us. They inspect the bed before it gets delivered so they are not responsible for any defect or damage. Who believed them?

They said it is ok to inspect the bed but we should phone 10 minutes in advance so that they have the bed on the floor for us. Phoned a number of times and they just avoided a straight answer. Finally, one lady said it is ok to go.

SURPRISE, we got there and were told by the assistant to the manager that actually, THE BED HADN'T ARRIVED. Imagine our frustration. He didn't even believe that actually we were told the bed arrived.

I am not making this up. It's like a bad joke but it was real.

We made a scene and they invited us out of the store as other customers were listening. In the end, they gave us a refund but what a sour taste....

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 9:00 PM

I'd reccomend sofa so good on Cambie St, they also have another store sofa bed so good or something like that down on 1st right by cambie too. They sold us a few nice couches which have held up great for almost 10 years now.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakati View Post

We had the most unpleasant experience ever. Ordered a bed, paid for it in full, were told it would take 3 weeks till it gets delivered. Heard nothing for over a month, phoned and were told the BED WAS ALREADY DELIVERED. They checked again and then said that actually the bed hadn't arrived. One month later they phoned and left a message saying that the bed arrived and we were supposed to phone back to arrange for delivery. We did but I asked them if I could see the bed before it gets delivered as they said that if the bed is damaged in any way, it is between the delivery company and us. They inspect the bed before it gets delivered so they are not responsible for any defect or damage. Who believed them?

They said it is ok to inspect the bed but we should phone 10 minutes in advance so that they have the bed on the floor for us. Phoned a number of times and they just avoided a straight answer. Finally, one lady said it is ok to go.

SURPRISE, we got there and were told by the assistant to the manager that actually, THE BED HADN'T ARRIVED. Imagine our frustration. He didn't even believe that actually we were told the bed arrived.

I am not making this up. It's like a bad joke but it was real.

We made a scene and they invited us out of the store as other customers were listening. In the end, they gave us a refund but what a sour taste....
yes my friend who worked there could tell you many similiar stories - he was quite surprised at a lot of what went on there

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 9:52 PM
Vancouver Moderator

GENERALLY, Paramount in Richmond isn't bad, but I had a miserable experience there before... ordering a sofa and then paid and all, then when they missed the delivery date, I called them to find out they couldn't deliver that sofa anymore for some odd reason >__<

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I'd reccomend sofa so good on Cambie St, they also have another store sofa bed so good or something like that down on 1st right by cambie too. They sold us a few nice couches which have held up great for almost 10 years now.
I believe the main sofa store moved to around 8th & Hemlock mid last year due to Canada Line construction although oddly all signs are still on Cambie location. Decent stuff.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 5:43 AM

Jumping on this thread to offer an up-to-date perspective for 2020! Obviously this won't help the OP, but maybe will be for people like me that arrived here via searching online for information about furniture stores in Vancouver.

I’m into modern furniture, and the odd MCM piece. So I can only offer this perspective. And I’ll only list 5 to stop this being the longest most annoying post ever.

EQ3. This is one of my favourite stores in Vancouver. The prices are very reasonable for the quality, and you can choose and specify exactly the fabric/finish you want. I got a leather Reverie sofa from here 7 years ago, and it is still in amazing shape. Also, when some of the tufted buttons fell off, they sent someone out to my home to re-install them at no fee. Excellent service. Also, all their big pieces are made to order in Winnipeg, so it supports local craftspeople.

CB2. I’ve also bought a few pieces from CB2, and always enjoyed the experience. It’s a little on the ‘latest trend’ side of things for me, and I can’t vouch for the quality of sofas. But it has some excellent value pieces including a tulip style dining table currently sitting in my kitchen, and nice accessories to go with it all.

Full House Modern. A gorgeous showroom which never fails to make me drool. The prices are higher end for me, and I’ll admit that the only things I’ve ever managed to walk away with are accessories and a small light so far. But one day, one day! They have stunning pieces from Canadian and U.S design brands like Gus Modern, Copeland, Ethnicraft. If you have stylish taste in modern furniture, and at least $4k to spend, this is a great place to shop.

Banana Lab. I mentioned I’m keen on the odd MCM piece. If I could afford it, I would get them from Banana Lab in Burnaby. They restore absolutely gorgeous MCM pieces, and you can trust these are the genuine article if they say so. Lots of Danish, lots of teak, lots of style.

hausmodern. Okay, full disclaimer here. I run hausmodern. But see, I did put us at the end of the list! What we do at hausmodern is help people buy and sell used modern furniture in Vancouver. We are not in competition with the stores above – we love them! But people move place, and when they do half of their stuff doesn’t fit in the new place. At hausmodern, we help people with high quality used furniture sell their items, and provide buyers with a selection of modern and mid-century furniture at great value prices. In the process we reduce waste going to landfill, and avoid adding to the social and environmental issues associated with international manufacturing and shipping.

Aside the above, there are higher end stores for sure, but for value for quality, these are my top picks. Be interested to know if others have others to add to this list.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnygarner View Post
Jumping on this thread to offer an up-to-date perspective for 2020! Obviously this won't help the OP, but maybe will be for people like me that arrived here via searching online for information about furniture stores in Vancouver.

I’m into modern furniture, and the odd MCM piece. So I can only offer this perspective. And I’ll only list 5 to stop this being the longest most annoying post ever.

-snip-
I agree, EQ3 is always reliable and anyone I know (myself included) has been happy with a purchase from there.

CB2 is hit and miss IMO. It's good for the basics and for things like dinnerware, cutlery, smaller touches in your home, but I find the actual furniture and fixture stuff to be nearly on par with IKEA, maybe a step or two up. It's not designed for long-term possession but you're still paying for the Crate and Barrel experience. So I tend not to gravitate there when I need something for the home.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
I agree, EQ3 is always reliable and anyone I know (myself included) has been happy with a purchase from there.

CB2 is hit and miss IMO. It's good for the basics and for things like dinnerware, cutlery, smaller touches in your home, but I find the actual furniture and fixture stuff to be nearly on par with IKEA, maybe a step or two up. It's not designed for long-term possession but you're still paying for the Crate and Barrel experience. So I tend not to gravitate there when I need something for the home.
Yeah, I can see that. I have cutlery from CB2 and love it. The table I got I'm happy with, but it would be really interesting to line it up side by side with the Dockstra from IKEA to see if there is really any upgrade in quality.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:45 AM

Quote:

EQ3. This is one of my favourite stores in Vancouver. The prices are very reasonable for the quality, and you can choose and specify exactly the fabric/finish you want. I got a leather Reverie sofa from here 7 years ago, and it is still in amazing shape. Also, when some of the tufted buttons fell off, they sent someone out to my home to re-install them at no fee. Excellent service. Also, all their big pieces are made to order in Winnipeg, so it supports local craftspeople.

CB2. I’ve also bought a few pieces from CB2, and always enjoyed the experience. It’s a little on the ‘latest trend’ side of things for me, and I can’t vouch for the quality of sofas. But it has some excellent value pieces including a tulip style dining table currently sitting in my kitchen, and nice accessories to go with it all.

Full House Modern. A gorgeous showroom which never fails to make me drool. The prices are higher end for me, and I’ll admit that the only things I’ve ever managed to walk away with are accessories and a small light so far. But one day, one day! They have stunning pieces from Canadian and U.S design brands like Gus Modern, Copeland, Ethnicraft. If you have stylish taste in modern furniture, and at least $4k to spend, this is a great place to shop.

Banana Lab. I mentioned I’m keen on the odd MCM piece. If I could afford it, I would get them from Banana Lab in Burnaby. They restore absolutely gorgeous MCM pieces, and you can trust these are the genuine article if they say so. Lots of Danish, lots of teak, lots of style.

hausmodern. Okay, full disclaimer here. I run hausmodern. But see, I did put us at the end of the list! What we do at hausmodern is help people buy and sell used modern furniture in Vancouver. We are not in competition with the stores above – we love them! But people move place, and when they do half of their stuff doesn’t fit in the new place. At hausmodern, we help people with high quality used furniture sell their items, and provide buyers with a selection of modern and mid-century furniture at great value prices. In the process we reduce waste going to landfill, and avoid adding to the social and environmental issues associated with international manufacturing and shipping.

Aside the above, there are higher end stores for sure, but for value for quality, these are my top picks. Be interested to know if others have others to add to this list.
I'm looking for a small sectional. I don't want to pay more then a grand. Which place out of those would be the first place for me to check out?

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 5:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
I'm looking for a small sectional. I don't want to pay more then a grand. Which place out of those would be the first place for me to check out?
Structube is cheap. $539!
https://www.structube.com/en/dillon-...5-50?pid=27659

Last edited by misher; May 26, 2020 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Yes, misher is right. Structube is cheap! I like the store, they just didn't make the top 5

If you want to buy new, then I agree, Structube is your best bet. I would recommend to check how the frame is built and buy a solid wood version, rather than a frame that uses MDF.

I am impressed they have a solid wood version from $599!
https://www.structube.com/en/margot-...7-70?pid=19254

I would also seriously consider a used model from a high quality brand. There are some great deals, as many people have to sell quickly when moving place.

For example, this Pottery Barn sectional for $750. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0950409304670/

Great quality, and likely over at least $3K new.

I would not buy unbranded second hand sofas from FB/Craiglist, as you can't tell the quality of the construction or fill.

I would love to sell you a modern sectional from hausmodern, but don't have one in stock right now . But I can always help with pick-up/delivery service if you need. Good luck with your search!

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, misher is right. Structube is cheap! I like the store, they just didn't make the top 5

If you want to buy new, then I agree, Structube is your best bet. I would recommend to check how the frame is built and buy a solid wood version, rather than a frame that uses MDF.

I am impressed they have a solid wood version from $599!
https://www.structube.com/en/margot-...7-70?pid=19254

I would also seriously consider a used model from a high quality brand. There are some great deals, as many people have to sell quickly when moving place.

For example, this Pottery Barn sectional for $750. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0950409304670/

Great quality, and likely over at least $3K new.

I would not buy unbranded second hand sofas from FB/Craiglist, as you can't tell the quality of the construction or fill.

I would love to sell you a modern sectional from hausmodern, but don't have one in stock right now . But I can always help with pick-up/delivery service if you need. Good luck with your search!
Notice how Structube says "selected reviews" meaning they censor them?

Seriously you get what you pay for, Structube is great if you want cheap furniture for a condo that you don't plan to keep more than a few years or plan to abuse.

Never been there myself but maybe checkout Anizco hotel furniture liquidation? After all likely more hotels are being liquidated than ever and they tend to have nice stuff in the rooms.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 12:39 AM

Would I be able to get something mid-range in terms of quality around the $800-$900 range?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion