HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 11:00 PM

Anyone think that senior level NCC applicants should have to fill some check boxes indicating which of 30 major world cities they have visited and if they have less than 4-5 on the list they can't be accepted?

I'm not even well traveled and I know suburbs that have more interesting "landmarks"

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 11:48 PM
Busy Beaver

They should have thought of that before they gave the 700 Sussex site to Claridge.

I really think they should link the lower level of the Rideau Centre to Union Station and integrate all the surface and indoor pedestrian circulation at all levels. Here's what I imagine if they did that and then filled the canal level of the station with bistros and cafes. That area right now is a complete waste of space.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 12:04 AM

Union Station has got to be the most tragically wasted space in Ottawa. I actually attended a planning session there for a few days. We couldn't find any space to meet at our department, so someone had the bright idea of reserving a room at the "Government Conference Centre." All we really needed was a table - we could have met at any reasonably central mid-rise office building, but the 'official' space on offer was at Union Station.

The facilities themselves were halfheartedly retrofitted - I think we managed to get Internet access, but not much else. Most of the rooms were empty. There's a million good uses for Union Station, but the trick is still to pry it out of the hands of the federal government.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 12:28 AM
you know my steez

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I had a good laugh over the fact that the "Linkage" image prominently features an abandoned train station...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 3:27 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
They should have thought of that before they gave the 700 Sussex site to Claridge.

I really think they should link the lower level of the Rideau Centre to Union Station and integrate all the surface and indoor pedestrian circulation at all levels. Here's what I imagine if they did that and then filled the canal level of the station with bistros and cafes. That area right now is a complete waste of space.

WOW Kitchissippi. That's gorgeous. You ought to send that to the NCC and to the newspapers to illustrate what can be done with a bit of grey matter and imagination between the ears. I want this to happen!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
WOW Kitchissippi. That's gorgeous. You ought to send that to the NCC and to the newspapers to illustrate what can be done with a bit of grey matter and imagination between the ears. I want this to happen!

I second this!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 11:54 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawade View Post
I second this!
I third it.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 12:35 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I third it.
I fourth this!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist View Post
I fourth this!

Often I wonder what WE can do...We're all seemingly educated and very opinionated; what is interesting is that our opinion is often mirrored by each other. The obvious 'cause' for us to take up would have been transit, but really there was/is little the everyday citizen could have done (unless you work for Delcan).

Would you guys be interested in forming a group to get the conference centre back into the City's hands...Kitchissippi this is pretty inspirational.

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men’s blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will never die, but long after we are gone will be a living thing, asserting itself with ever-growing insistency. Remember that our sons and grandsons are going to do things that would stagger us. Let your watchword be order and your beacon beauty."-- Daniel Burnham, 1907

Can we even make enough noise to make this possible?

I think we can…I fifth this!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 2:37 PM

SIXTH!!!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 2:58 PM
Busy Beaver

Thanks for the comments, guys. I will see who and where in the NCC I can pass on this suggestion.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 3:06 PM
Mooderator

oop, I'm late for the party, but - seventh!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 3:12 PM
Busy Beaver

By the way, this is what that area looks like in the summer...DEAD. I think the canal level is about the same grade as the lower level of the Rideau Centre, but Colonel By Drive would have to be slightly raised to accommodate a link. I remember going into the hall in the right (the one with the green doors thinking it would make a great food hall/market type of thing. I'm sure you could punch more windows and doors on that facade to make it more appealing.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Would you guys be interested in forming a group to get the conference centre back into the City's hands...Kitchissippi this is pretty inspirational.
I love the idea but do you think that the city would be any better at successfully implementing this kind of project?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 3:31 PM

I don't post much, but I love the idea.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I love the idea but do you think that the city would be any better at successfully implementing this kind of project?
There is no doubt in my mind that this would be a long, gruelling and difficult task to accomplish.

We'd have to get the media behind us and meet with multi levels of gov't to get the talks going. At this point I think we need a stratgey session over some drinks; informal. Virtually anytime and any place is good for me (outside of office hours). There probably isn't a real sense of urgency, but it would be great to form a group and bounce some ideas around. Thoughts?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 4:48 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryersonian View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that this would be a long, gruelling and difficult task to accomplish.

We'd have to get the media behind us and meet with multi levels of gov't to get the talks going. At this point I think we need a stratgey session over some drinks; informal. Virtually anytime and any place is good for me (outside of office hours). There probably isn't a real sense of urgency, but it would be great to form a group and bounce some ideas around. Thoughts?
I'm up for a meet, to talk about this and whatever else Next week sometime would be nice, I'm back in O-Town for Reading week...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 4:55 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

I can meet if it's during lunch time and downtown.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 5:44 PM

I don't post much either - too busy lurking - but I think the idea is a great one Kitchissippi. I always think that it's unfortunate that we have this great canal but haven't been able to take advantage of it. I would be thrilled if something like this happened there.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 6:12 PM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I'm up for a meet, to talk about this and whatever else Next week sometime would be nice, I'm back in O-Town for Reading week...
WaterlooWarrior...I thought based on the information you are able to post on this forum that you were in Ottawa 24/7.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa