HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 1:22 AM

Move date for the Morin House

I e-mailed Dan Klocke inquiring about the move date of the Morin House. His response is below. I've never witnessed the move of an entire house so I plan to be out there that night. I'll take pictures for the benefit of the forum. Who knows... maybe I can help out in some way.

Mark
Thanks for the e-mail. It is an exciting project and I am happy to be in the Roosevelt neighborhood. We just set a date of August 24th/25th-the Friday night/Sat morning. There will be activity in the evening but the house will likely not move until 2 am Sat morning. If there is bad weather it will be Sept 8/9. It should provide for some interesting photos to say the least. Thanks for your interest
Dan

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 4:40 AM

Sweet! Make sure you post pics!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 5:15 PM

Polly Rosenbaum Archives

Here is an exerpt from the article about the archives facility being build near the capitol. The full story is at the link below. Also, they include a nice animation with explanation of the approach to the building design and its purpose. I included a link to that as well. It's not building preservation but preservation of Arizona's history...I thought it fit in this thread.

http://southwest.construction.com/fe...7_feature4.asp

http://southwest.construction.com/im...chivebldgb.wmv

History Lesson
Arizona Archive Preserves the Past to Protect the Future

By Scott Blair

The $32.3 million Polly Rosenbaum Archives in Phoenix will preserve Arizona's important documents. The 125,000-sq-ft space will also treat and restore these materials through a variety of unique rooms, including a document blast-freezer and a fumigation room.

Irreplaceable records of Arizona's history are being destroyed every day because of a lack of space to properly house them.

That's the alarming message state archivists delivered to the Arizona State Legislature more than 10 years ago. After years of false starts, state lawmakers finally approved $32.5 million for the construction of the Polly Rosenbaum Archives and History Building, and construction began in January.

"It's important for people to understand this building is not great-great-aunt Sally's diary of crossing the plains," says GladysAnn Wells, director of the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records. "As much as I might be interested in reading that, these records are what protect personal entitlements, property and water rights."

The building is located on a vacant lot near the State Capitol on 19th Avenue and Madison Street, and is named for Arizona's longest serving state representative and a long-time advocate for historic preservation.

Last edited by JimInCal; Aug 4, 2007 at 5:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 5:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
^Yah I have the same concern, if I had to choose between the tower and had an assurance it would be built or the current structure, I'd take the tower. Can't they make some sort of law like "if you knock down a historic structure and don't build the tower you promised we'll let Vandercook beat you up"?
I like! how many signatures do we need to place this on the ballot?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 7:01 PM
Skyriser

^ 1,500 for Phoenix.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 6:25 PM
this could have been...

Phx HP office job opening

CITY OF PHOENIX HISTORIC PRESERVATION PLANNER

Salary Range: $52,603 – $74,755 annualized

Recruitment Dates: August 13 to September 10, 2007 (first review of applications)

Requires two years of experience performing public or private planning, preservation or architectural work plus a bachelor's degree in architecture, history, planning, historic preservation, archeology, or a closely related field. Knowledge of the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation, historic architectural styles and building construction techniques is essential. Strong writing and communication skills and experience in working with government, non-profit boards and commissions is desirable. Experience managing historic rehabilitation projects, performing federal compliance work, and overseeing grant programs are preferred. Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum qualifications may be substituted.

Coordinates and assists in the implementation of the City's Historic Preservation Program. Prepares and processes historic preservation zoning cases; performs design reviews of Certificate of Appropriateness applications; manages major rehabilitation work on city-owned historic sites; reviews city projects for compliance with city, state and federal historic preservation regulations; performs historic research and survey work; helps to manage historic preservation incentive programs; performs public outreach; prepares reports and makes public presentations; enforces the city historic preservation ordinance; and provides technical, architectural and historical design guidance to City staff, elected officials, citizens, boards and commissions.

Some positions in this classification require the use of personal or City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess an appropriate valid Arizona driver's license, possess personal insurance coverage, and have an acceptable driving record.

Based on resume and cover letter. In your cover letter or resume, please describe your knowledge of the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation, historic architectural styles, building construction techniques, and all other related historic preservation experience. Only applicants who meet the experience requirements will be placed on the eligible-to-hire list. Previous score cannot be reused.

The City of Phoenix supports a drug-free workplace. After an employment offer is made, external applicants will be required to take and pass a drug test. Employment will be contingent upon successful completion of this drug test, and consideration of background, reference, and other job-related selection information. For more information go to www.phoenix.gov/jobs

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 6:46 PM

I would so apply for that if it wasn't a pay-cut even at maximum salary.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 12:00 PM

I dunno what Combusean does, but sounds like he's the guy for the job.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 2:37 PM

The Morin House did not move last night. This is not surprising given the rainy weather this morning. Looks like Sept 8/9 is the new target.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 2:45 PM

Damn, I totally forgot about that. How's that, we have a couple weeks of clear weather and then Dean's moisture comes and effs it all up. Oh well, thanks for reminding me. I hope someone can get some pictures of the move (I'll be out at Lake Powell that weekend )

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkfromaz View Post
I finally ate at Pizzeria Bianco for the first time. Food was AMAZING! The ambiance of the ancient building was really memorable too, I highly recommend checking it out. It was totally worth the >2 hour wait, although if we'd have arrived before 4, we could've halved that.
I spotted this and just FYI Bianco doesn't open until 5.

If you show up at 5 there's a good chance you'll get one of the first 45 seats. If you don't you'll wait 90 minutes for the first round to start clearing out.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 9:26 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Here's a nice article from the Downtown Phoenix Journal to satiate us while news is slow:

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...-neighborhood/

Quote:
It All ‘Adds’ Up: Christoph Kaiser and His Garfield Neighborhood
Posted by Yuri Artibise on 9/23/09

Christoph Kaiser is helping to rebuild Garfield one house at a time. Once an epicenter of gang activity and urban blight in Downtown Phoenix, Kaiser’s houses are now at the heart of Garfield’s resurgence, and among the coolest in Downtown Phoenix.

Kaiser is part owner of the architectural firm Plus Minus Studio, founded by him and his business partner Hayes McNeil in the fall of 2005. Since its founding, they have added Anson Chen to their team as Project Manager. The studio has been responsible for some of the most striking projects in and around Phoenix, including transforming Katz’s Deli into Postino Central and the complete remodel of Kitchen Sink Studios in Downtown Phoenix. In addition, Christoph has recently joined Hayes as partner in the new Royal at the Market coffee shop at the soon-to-be-opened Phoenix Public Market Urban Grocery and Wine Bar.

While this portfolio is indeed impressive for a young architect, it is his personal projects in the Garfield neighborhood that captured the attention of DPJ. Garfield is the oldest historical district in Phoenix. First established in 1883, it became part of the city of Phoenix in 1899. Houses in the neighborhood date from the 1890s to the 1940s, with a large percentage built in the early 1900s. Unlike the grand dames of Phoenix’s historic districts, Willo and Encanto-Palmcroft, which have mostly remained intact and have dramatically appreciated in value, the historical homes in Garfield fell on hard times over the past three decades.

Kaiser purchased and remodeled his first house in Tempe while still a student at ASU. After graduating, he set his sights on Downtown Phoenix because of the dynamic changes occurring Downtown and the availability of affordable historic homes. “Historic homes put me at peace,” Kaiser says. He also notes that older homes encourage commitment, something that is lacking in many of the interchangeable stucco boxes that popped up in the suburbs during the real estate boom.

Before and after: 910 E. Pierce St.

The Garfield neighborhood has changed a lot since 2005, when he first moved in — there was still gang activity on his street back then. At that time, Kaiser felt like he was the only one trying. Rather than be deterred, however, he saw this as an opportunity. Not only were the prices right for an architect with shallow pockets but deep vision, but also the dire shape of the area provided opportunities for creativity that would not have been available in other neighborhoods. He has seen a dramatic change over the past four years, brought about, in part, by a shift from renters to owners who are renovating their homes as well. In addition, the remaining landlords are paying more attention to the upkeep of their properties in hopes of attracting new tenants from ASU and the Biomedical campus.

A mixture of old and new

Kaiser’s desire is to create interesting living spaces for the working class and students. They are a unique alternative to the condo towers and apartment blocks that we normally think of as “urban living.” His approach to design and architecture is akin to an unfolding progression. When you first approach his homes, they look largely like they did when there were first built, as he has done his best to respect the exterior’s authenticity. One of the only differences is the desert-friendly landscaping. Once you step inside — or around back — however, you enter a realm of the unexpected.

Kaiser takes the concept of place-making to a micro level. While the term traditionally refers to creating neighborhoods, he creates places as small as a garden patio. To create such a place, Kaiser pays particular attention to creating a sense of arrival, where it feels like you are entering your own world, despite being just steps away from the bustle of Downtown. As a result, he is as interested in the outside of his houses as he is with the interiors. He has spent a lot of time researching indigenous desert plants and has planted many varieties of mesquite. He is now experimenting with interspersing fruit trees between the desert trees, because, he states with a wink, “After all the work I put into planting, watering and otherwise maintaining my yard, it would be nice to get something back.”

Kaiser's attic retreat

On the inside, Kaiser tries to fit as many unique living spaces as possible. He has created units in once-empty attics and created communal living spaces on the main level for people renting out bedrooms. Christoph fills each place with whimsical touches, including an intriguing mix of vintage finds and high-tech conveniences. While there are plenty of IKEA products throughout his unit, due to their affordable-yet-stylish forms, he also has several higher-end pieces that were custom made to maximize the use of space. In addition, he is in the process of building unique living spaces in his back yards, including a renovated 1967 Airstream trailer and a corrugated metal silo that he is constructing as a self-contained living space. He notes that the four to five people living in each of his houses, while dense by today’s standards, was the norm when the houses were first built. The only difference is that they were families living together back then, while there are friends living together today. This added density allows for more affordable rents, attracting a mix of students, artists and creative young professionals.

A good way to describe this combination that Kaiser has developed is to use a phrase coined by Alison King of Modern Phoenix: “Mullet Modern — conservative in the front, party in the back.” According to Kaiser, “Neighborhoods need some interest, with some more aggressive or edgy touches to attract diverse types of people, yet still being respectful of the neighborhood’s authenticity.” He admits that many of his ideas wouldn’t fly in a more established historic neighborhood, but in a recovering neighborhood like Garfield, they are a perfect fit.
Im glad someones doing something in Garfield. Downtown will never be the success we all want it to be until Garfield and the Captiol Mall neighborhoods are healthy, safe, vibrant places and at least at the level that Coranado is today. We need them to feed into downtown.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 12:04 PM
Skyriser

bump

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 3:48 PM

Anyone here frequent modernphoenix.net? Does anyone know who Walt Lockley is from that website? I was looking through this section of modern phoenix: http://www.modernphoenix.net/vnb/bimson.htm which is a little piece about the First Security Building and the top floor. I noticed the picture of the grass yard on the top floor was actually my picture. About 5 years ago I snuck into the penthouse of the First Security building when it was under renovation and discovered (my own discovery, not that it was a secret) that the penthouse had a roof-top yard complete with bushes and grass and everything. I even posted a picture thread here on SSP about my urban exploration exploits. It's amazing that me, of all people since I rarely post pictures, is having their picture "stolen", as the modern phoenix website says "text and pictures by Walt Lockley". Well, Walt, that one isn't your picture bud!

From modern phoenix:

From my camera 5 years ago:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 9:25 PM

PHX31, I frequent ModernPhoenix.net but I dont know Mr Lockley personally. He used to have an amazingly awesome website (waltlockley.net I think it was) that had tons of pictures of Phoenix architecture along with lots of written history. Shoot him an email on there asking for credit and Im sure it'll all work itself out.

EDIT: VV Soleri's name is Walt, but its a different guy Im pretty sure...I seem to recall asking him (soleri).

Last edited by HooverDam; Sep 25, 2009 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Anyone here frequent modernphoenix.net? Does anyone know who Walt Lockley is from that website? I was looking through this section of modern phoenix: http://www.modernphoenix.net/vnb/bimson.htm
Could it be Soleri? If I remember correctly, his name is Walt. He's a huge MCM buff, and I know he's contributed to Modernphoenix.net in the past.

Could be incorrect, of course. That just came to mind.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 6:04 PM

So Im going to be doing a photo thread sometime in the next week hopefully showing Biltmore, Arcadia and the Papago Park Area (basically an East Phoenix catch all thread), but I thought Id share an odd house I came across:

Now it wouldn't look out of place in Central Phoenix at all but this bungalow is on the North side of Missouri just a bit west of 20th St. I was surprised to see such an old building that far East. I wonder if this house formerly sat on a ranch or citrus grove or something.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 9:59 PM
BANNED

Looking forward to your upcoming E. Phx photos.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 12:09 AM

Cool find, Hoover. I'm always surprised to find older homes far from the dowtown area. I imagine, like you are wondering, if they are remnants of long lost homesteads/farms. Looking forward to the rest of the pics.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 11:37 PM
BANNED

It occurred to me that the house could have been moved there from Central Phx...possibly?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest