HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 10:13 PM

Interesting to hear that the 1801 Ave. of the Stars building will be demolished, as I worked in its twin building across the street in the early 80's, when the Century City Shopping Center was rather drab and not terribly upscale. (Also, since there was no parking available in our building, many of us parked on the nearby neighborhood streets, which of course is no longer an option.)

Now when I return for a visit to the Westside, the traffic congestion I complained about back then seems almost quaint, as the increased density has certainly come with a price. Needless to say, mass transit will continue to be a major challenge for L.A. as it tweaks its mostly suburban template into something more urban and compact.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 11:45 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I actually don't mind the decrease to 39 stories. It'll give CC some height variation, and since this is on the "outside" of CC, it'll help step the skyline up towards the middle. Some of the models shown on the last page show a kind of boring flat top effect happening with all the proposed and built towers. I like more variation.

As for the design, it's no worse than the existing building, but it's no better either. So if this adds more residents and activates the street a bit better, it's definitely a net gain.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 1:49 AM

^ Do you think buildings with spires would look nice in Century City?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 9:22 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Mid-City Area Attempts a Makeover

Once a high-crime zone, the district's Washington Boulevard corridor is in a process of gentrification. Some remain skeptical about the neighborhood's progress.

By Scott Gold
November 21, 2008

Where to start?

With the transgender prostitutes who just moved into the cheap hotel down the street? With the taco vendors who are so indifferent to the law that they set up shop on the side of the road like a full-fledged restaurant, with tables and heat lamps? And what about the troubled old lady who stands at the gas station all day, slapping herself in the face, spitting on your shoes if you get too close?

On a recent Saturday morning, a dozen civic leaders from the Mid-City district of Los Angeles met over coffee and muffins to mull, and fret about, the Washington Boulevard corridor stretching roughly between Fairfax and La Brea avenues. Considering the corridor has degenerated at times into lawlessness, it was evident that progress has been made, that these leaders are no longer urban pioneers.

Crime has dropped. Volunteers have planted 77 shade trees along the boulevard. It was evident, too, in the venue they picked for their meeting -- the Atomic Cafe, a bright, hip, locally owned bistro that opened recently in the 5000 block of Washington, replacing a chicken joint where they used to lock the cashier inside a cage for safety.

There was no time, however, for resting on their laurels. It did not appear that there would be time for that sort of thing for quite a while.

Can anything be done, someone asked after a few minutes, about the sketchy characters outside the methadone clinic? When is the city going to remove more pay phones, because the only people who use them are drug dealers?

As the conversation ricocheted off the cafe's concrete floor, the leaders passed around summaries of old police reports: "Three susps, two brandishing guns, enter business. Victs in fear fled."

There were so many troublesome properties on the agenda that by the end, they were having a hard time discerning halfway houses from rehab clinics from run-of-the-mill flophouses. "Wait a second," someone said when one property came up. "Is that the drug recovery place or the mentally ill place?"

Most striking was their vision for the future, which sounded a lot like L.A. neighborhoods that have been thoroughly gentrified: Los Feliz, Koreatown, Venice.

There was a time when this stretch of Washington would've been grateful for any hint of economic activity. That time, said Allan DiCastro, Mid-City Neighborhood Council president, has passed.

"No more liquor. No more motels. No more mental housing," DiCastro said. Also out: bars, rehab clinics, check-cashing stores.

"We want a real bank and real restaurants," he said. "We want antique stores. Boutiques."

DiCastro passed around a letter he planned to send to a target of the group's cleanup effort -- a corner store called Liquorama, whose very name hearkened to the gleeful sort of Bacchanalia that once took place here. The letter asked the owner to add security cameras and better lighting, and concluded:

"Mid-City's Washington Corridor will evolve into a fashionable district of art galleries, shops and cafes."

Really? Can this forlorn stretch of Washington, for so long an open marketplace offering just about everything bad for you, be transformed so completely? Is this the moment when gentrification in Los Angeles goes one step too far?

Hookers and horses. Yvonne Erwing-Davis was born here in 1947, and that's what she remembers most about the old days -- when the cops would swing through to chase off the prostitutes.

"They used to come on horseback and run them right back into their hotel rooms," she said. "It was better than TV." She smiled, but only briefly. "The drugs and the prostitutes," she said, "wore this neighborhood down to the dirt."

By the 1990s, however, the corridor had something to offer again: it was centrally located, lined with quaint side streets of bungalows and Craftsman houses. And it was cheap. Newcomers arrived, with expectations. An era of activism got underway, slowly at first, then blossoming into the fever it is today.

Its face has become that of DiCastro, a financial analyst by trade, a Mid-City reformer by passion. DiCastro, 47, moved here in 1987 for the same reason many others did, because he could afford it. "I was kind of scared," he said.

He began filing regular -- incessant, some at the local police precinct might call it -- complaints about graffiti. He documented every tag -- 180 incidents a week, at first, then 130, then 50. He's still at it; it's down to 15 a week.

He now leads a remarkable makeover campaign. Activists report peeling paint on the sides of businesses, potholes, damaged street signs and trees that need trimming. "So they don't block the lights and so rats can't get to the roofs," DiCastro said.

They've raised money for banners identifying the neighborhood and repainted their own fire hydrants. They've harangued police into chasing off men selling bootlegged DVDs and gotten a crime-ridden store's liquor license revoked.

"Do you know what my husband and I did last week? We went for a walk on the boulevard," said Joy Williams, vice president of the Neighborhood Council and a resident since 1978. "We never walked the boulevard. Never."

No one is more surprised than lifers such as Erwing-Davis, who has launched a new business selling single-sized servings of banana pudding and peach cobbler out of a gold-painted basket draped over her arm.

"Everybody wants to be proud of their neighborhood, right?" she said. She leaned in close. "I don't mean to brag," she said, nodding toward her basket. "But these things are good. The banana pudding is screaming."

It only gets harder from here; the next step, beyond cleaning up the most evident problems in the neighborhood, is energizing its economy.

Redevelopment is buzzing all around them -- the Culver City Arts District to the west, the Midtown Crossing shopping center to the north, the Nate Holden Performing Arts Center to the east. But this stretch of Washington is still, by and large, $40-a-night hotels and auto repair shops, many protected by spirals of razor wire.

"People are still skeptical," Williams said. "There is a cloud that hangs over the boulevard."

DiCastro has begun trying to recruit new businesses and acknowledged that he has finally run into a wall. He gestured toward a carpet dealer as he walked by; the company, like some others here, keeps its doors locked even during business hours.

"You have to knock on the door and convince them that you are sane," he said. "Then they will let you in."

A closer look at the boulevard reveals a mosaic of poverty and crime that would seem to belie all the progress.

On a Friday night, Los Angeles Police Senior Lead Officer Adam Green rumbled through the neighborhood in his black-and-white cruiser. Green has spent nine of his 14 years on the force here. He is a pro; on one crime-ridden street he turned on his high beams so people would have a hard time seeing his lights and siren approaching.

Most of the area, he said, is the turf of the Mansfield gang, a Crip "set," sort of like a subsidiary. On particularly worrisome streets, Green drove without a seat belt. He doesn't like to do it, he said, but you never know when you'll need to jump out. At Washington and Hauser boulevards, he pulled in front of a liquor store; six teenagers, all suspected gang members, were clustered in front. "Who you claiming?" he yelled at one boy, asking for his affiliation. "Mansfield?"

"I don't even know what that is," the boy said.

Green chuckled sarcastically. "Get out of here!" he yelled. "I got nothing else to do but take somebody to jail. You feel me?"

The boy nodded and moved on, and so did Officer Green.

"It's not a bad neighborhood," he said. "Just a few bad apples."

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 6:04 AM

Though this isn't technically in Los Angeles, I still think it should be posted:

Los Angeles Times,

San Fernando Valley development draws flood of public comment

Some business organizations appear to favor the $800-million project in the Universal City corridor. But homeowners groups and public officials worry that it could add to gridlock.

By Jennifer Oldham

November 25, 2008

Hundreds of comments from homeowners and business groups poured in to city planners Monday expressing an array of opinions about plans to build an $800-million studio and office project on the Universal City corridor that would house NBC's West Coast headquarters. It's expected to take weeks for planners to sift through the details, but a sampling of the comments boiled down to this:

Homeowners' groups, and city and L.A. County officials who represent the southeast San Fernando Valley, fear the project would result in perpetual gridlock at key intersections and damage a historic monument, Campo de Cahuenga, on the site. Some business organizations, meanwhile, favor the plan because they say it would create thousands of construction-related jobs and help to retain entertainment industry positions in the Valley.

The closing of the public comment period marks another milestone in what already has been a months-long campaign waged by Thomas Properties to promote what would be among the largest developments ever proposed in the San Fernando Valley.

City officials and the developer hope to release a final environmental report, which under state law must respond to the public's comments, by the end of the first quarter of 2009 and hold public hearings on the proposal next spring. The L.A. County Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which owns the parking lot across the street from Universal Studios where the proposed development would be built, must also sign off on the plan.

The developer has been wooing Valley residents for months with an advertising campaign that included colorful postcards touting the project's economic benefits and informal gatherings over coffee. At one point, veteran developer Jim Thomas knocked on doors to talk up the project with residents. But in comments on the environmental report, neighborhood leaders questioned the premise that the project would benefit the region's ailing economy.

The study "indicates that this proposed project will provide needed office and production space for the entertainment industry," wrote Ben R. Neumann, president of the Studio City Neighborhood Council, in a 25-page letter to city planners. "We are not aware of any study that exists indicating that additional office/production space is needed."

The influential Valley Industry and Commerce Assn. offered another opinion.

"While there would be some impact to the community, VICA has determined that the impact will be relatively minor when compared to the significant benefits," wrote Greg Lippe and Stuart Waldman, chairman and president of the business group, in a two-page letter to city planners.

The development is one of several large and controversial projects proposed for a four-mile corridor stretching from Universal City to the upper reaches of North Hollywood that would include about 5,500 residences and millions of square feet of commercial and office space.

NBC/Universal has even bigger plans for its 390-acre studio lot across Lankershim Boulevard -- a $3-billion redevelopment proposal that would include 2,937 residential units, new production facilities and retail space.

Oldham is a Times staff writer.

jennifer.oldham@latimes.com

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 7:22 AM

^ Thanks for posting, although it *is* "technically in Los Angeles"

(The area of Universal City in which this development is planned is within the borders of the City of LA.)

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 7:48 AM

Yeah, you should know that JDRCRASH!

Which is why I always say it's so dumb that people get too technical about city limits when it comes to LA. Half the time people mistake "City of LA proper" with independent cities like Universal City or even Hollywood. To me, this region is pretty much all LA.

Now, where "The City" is. That's a different story. and it's still in the making.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 7:55 AM

LAB -- Eeek, I agree generally with your ideas, but I know you didn't mean to imply that either Hollywood or Universal City is an independent city. To clarify:

Hollywood is in its entirety a district of the City of LA.

Universal City is split between the City of LA and the County of LA (an unincorporated area, independent of any cities in the county).

Don't mind me, I get off on these technicalities. I'm a lawyer, after all.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 7:59 AM

Oh sorry for the confusion. Yes I do know (VERY WELL) that Hollywood is a district in LA proper. I did not know that Universal City had an unincorporated area, but I was aware that it was also part of LA proper.

My point was that people get terribly confused with LA's technical city limits. Therefore, I really don't try to get too pedantic with LA limits, and just think of this area as simply LA. Mainly West Central. I do think of Pasadena as being part of LA too.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 7:13 PM

This is where I think an extension of the Red Line especially comes in handy; too many NIMBY Homeowner Associations and Neighborhood groups are whining about the traffic.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 9:56 PM

Sigh, I smell more NIMBY activity...

Residents Ponder 4900 Hollywood, Worry About Views

Monday, December 1, 2008, by Dakota

Remember that neighborhood-changing 4900 Hollywood Blvd project, a 5-story hotel and 18-story condo tower proposed for a site across from Barnsdall Park (and close to Vermont Avenue)? Well, area residents are certainly familiar with the project, coming out of a meeting earlier this fall, according to the Los Feliz Ledger. One worry: Views. "Many at the meeting spoke of possible restricted views of Barnsdall Art Park, which lies directly east of the property, should the development be approved as is. 'It would trouble me to see this project moving forward as it is currently designed,” said Gary Slossberg of the East Hollywood Neighborhood Council." According to the paper, a representative for developer Cen-Fed Ltd told residents at the meeting that this type of high-density, transit-orientated development is necessary to curb urban sprawl. Meanwhile, neighbors also want to know how big this thing will look: Kenneth E. Owen, Chair of the Planning, Zoning and Historic Preservation Committee of the Greater Griffith Park Neighborhood Council, says his group may "ask the city’s planning department to demonstrate the height of the project with poles or even balloons." It's not clear what Los Feliz area businesses would think of the development, but one would imagine that the project would provide a boost to the restaurants and shops along Hillhurst and Vermont.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 11:55 PM

^ High-rises can look nice too and add to the views. I usually don't quite understand what people mean by "views" when usually they are looking at either a parking lot or some sort or ugly stucco buildings. In this case, however, I have seen the views from up there and it is quite spectacular looking at the Hollywood Hills to the north of the park.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 2:53 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Measure H has passed by a margin of 129 votes.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 7:12 AM

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 8:21 AM

I think Wilshire/SM will look a lot nicer in the future with Waldorf and the Broad Art Foundation's new museum.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 11:03 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Walking down Ivar to the cinerama dome to catch a movie I got a few shots of Space 15 Twenty. I didn't have time to go in and check the place out but it is like a little alley type mall with different shops and a bookstore:

Last edited by dktshb; Dec 3, 2008 at 4:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 2:21 AM

I love Space 15 Twenty.

I walked from Amoeba over to Urban Outfitters last Friday night and fell in love with the development. It felt very organic, and reminded me of the little shopping nooks you find in European cities.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 8:42 AM

Yeah it's very authentic and would definitely be considered organic! It's better than "The Lab" in Costa Mesa.

Now all that has to happen is something mixed-use and big to replace the Jack-in-the-Box suburban style restaurant right next to it. Even if the restaurant were to come back in a mixed-use project, that would be much better. Sorta like how the Mickey D's in Downtown Santa Monica at Colorado and 2nd Street used to be suburban style and came back in a nice mixed-use project.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 5:18 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

More renderings of the Beverly Hilton/Waldorf=Astoria project...

From yesmeasureh.com

From yesmeasureh.com

From yesmeasureh.com

From yesmeasureh.com

From yesmeasureh.com

From yesmeasureh.com

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 9:44 AM

I like it!

As I said before, along with the Broad Art Foundation at the intersection, that area will be getting a lot nicer...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations