HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 3:04 AM

the building being torn down is a hideous building from the 70's. enough said.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 7:26 AM

I think it's a pretty nice late-modern midrise tower. Not super notable, but it's far from the ugliest building in Century City.

From http://la.curbed.com/archives/2008/1...stars.php#more

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 10:00 AM

I like what I read here. Bloomingdales would be moved out facing the street meeting new pedestrians as they come out of the future subway station. The fact that a new tower/Bloomingdales wouldn't be done for another 5 years or so makes it that much closer to an actual real subway going to Century City in the next 10 years. Century City may be transformed to an actually urban area with people walking around everywhere!

Is it just me, or does this Martha Groves sounds SUPER biased against the Westfield project in her writing below?
--------------------

latimes.com
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...track=ntothtml
From the Los Angeles Times

Ambitious mall project moving ahead in Century City
Westfield is pursuing an $800-million development that would move Bloomingdale's, add retail and office space, and replace a Westside landmark with a 49-story tower.
By Martha Groves

November 12, 2008

Unlike some cash-strapped competitors in the shopping center business, Westfield has nearly $7 billion in the bank and can't wait to start knocking down buildings and digging dirt for an ambitious expansion of its Century City mall.

The $800-million project entails relocating Bloomingdale's, adding retail and office space, razing one of the original twin "Gateway" buildings designed by Welton Becket and replacing it with a 49-story tower with 262 apartments or condos.

Despite a boom in high-rise development in Century City that has surrounding neighborhood groups on high alert, the mall expansion has experienced remarkably smooth sailing for a proposal of its size.

On Thursday, the city Planning Commission is expected to approve the Australian company's environmental impact report, paving the way for passage by the City Council. The project has the backing of Councilman Jack Weiss, who represents Century City and has received more than $8,000 in contributions from Westfield executives for his city attorney campaign.

Westfield has also been a big donor to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, giving him $100,000 for his committee to take over the school district and $50,000 for his 2007 U.S. Conference of Mayors, held in Century City.

The Westfield project reflects a new direction in Century City's core, which for decades featured mostly offices and hotels but is now creating hundreds of upscale residences. Westfield says the mall expansion would add to the "live, work, shop and play" vibe.

Neighborhood groups contend that the project is too big and too tall and will produce too much traffic. But traffic isn't their only concern. They say the development will further strain already inadequate services, from police and fire to schools, libraries and electric and water utilities.

"We have a huge project and no corresponding infrastructure to go with it," said David Tyrone Vahedi, an attorney who is running for City Council in District 5, which includes Century City. "When they're selling these condo units for $3 million, do they tell these people that there's very little police protection? That there's traffic congestion and so few officers that response time is unacceptable?"

For years, Century City and environs have experienced an almost unrivaled building boom. Century City in particular has been a hotbed of construction, with projects including 2000 Avenue of the Stars (which replaced the ABC Entertainment Center) and Westfield's $170-million first-phase redo of the outdoor shopping center, including a rooftop dining deck, enlarged movie theaters and, most recently, a parking system that directs patrons to available spaces (green light overhead) and away from occupied spaces (red light overhead).

Also underway is Related Cos.' 39-story condo tower at the site of the former St. Regis Hotel on Avenue of the Stars. Down the street at the corner of Constellation Boulevard, JMB Realty Corp. of Chicago plans three condo towers.

In nearby Beverly Hills, the Montage resort hotel is scheduled to open this month. And the Beverly Hilton is hoping that a final vote count on Measure H will allow it to proceed with a 12-story Waldorf-Astoria hotel and two luxury condo towers.

Some residents say that the accumulation of projects will inevitably exacerbate traffic problems. Westfield's environmental impact report concluded that the expansion would indeed worsen traffic.

"People are saying, 'We can't take any more density until we have the ability to offer [transit] alternatives,' " said Barbara Broide, president of the Westwood South of Santa Monica Homeowners Assn. "We are hoping that the council district office, the Planning Commission and the City Council all realize that a project of this magnitude can't be built as proposed unless some strong investments are made in the community."

Westfield executives counter that urban density beats sprawl. The company plans to encourage other Century City businesses to participate in a shuttle program for the area's 40,000 employees, and it envisions adding a station to link up with a proposed "Subway to the Sea" or another Metro mass transit program.

"This sort of development will lead to a much better and much more integrated Century City," said Peter Lowy, Westfield's co-chief executive, who heads the company's U.S. operations.

By demolishing two high-rise office towers, he added, Westfield will be reducing peak-hour traffic. (The other structure is the Houlihan Lokey office building on Century Park West, which will be replaced with a five-story parking structure with a rooftop parking level and two existing below-ground levels. The project calls for adding 1,899 spaces, for a total of 4,529 spaces for retail, office and residential.)

Lowy said the company is eager to establish a proper retail frontage on Avenue of the Stars and Santa Monica Boulevard, which would be accomplished in part by relocating Bloomingdale's from the mall's core to the new tower on the avenue.

Westfield acknowledges that it is negotiating with a coalition of neighborhood groups, which are urging the company to contribute funds that could be parceled out to police, fire, schools and other community services. As of Tuesday, no settlement had been reached.

Then there's 1801 Avenue of the Stars, one of the twin glass-and-aluminum gateway buildings featured in the 1961 Century City master plan developed by Welton Becket & Associates. After the 1957 repeal of the city's 150-foot building height limit, Century City was conceived as a high-rise satellite commercial center. The full plan, for a pedestrian-friendly, beautifully landscaped zone, was never realized.

In a Nov. 4 letter, the Los Angeles Conservancy urged the Planning Commission to consider alternatives to demolition. But Westfield contends that it would be impossible to convert the building to condos and build a transit station.

"I think there's a lot that's good about this project," Weiss said. "At this point in time, with this economy, it would be public policy malpractice to tell someone who wants to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in your community to go take a hike," he said.

Groves is a Times staff writer.

martha.groves@latimes.com

Times staff writer David Zahniser contributed to this report.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 11:02 PM

I really don't see a good reason why that building should be saved... it's just a generic 60s/70s era office tower.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 1:23 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Unprecedented building boom? They took down one high rise and put up something bigger -1, +1, took out the Schubert and put up a mid-rise +.5 and redid a mall. Hardly a unprecedented boom. How about when Century City went up in the 60's. Now that was unprecedented.

And remind me to watch this "David Tyrone Vahedi" guy, sounds like a panderer to the NIMBY crowd. Hope he goes nowhere in the next election. And now the R has passes, the infrastructure is coming.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 1:45 AM

Sigh......sometimes I just wish I could literally put corks in some of these people's mouths that have nothing better to do than bring more NIMBY crap.....

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 2:49 AM

While I wouldn't say the building is hideous it certainly is not worth saving.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 3:37 AM

ya, maybe i overreacted a bit. lol

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 6:14 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

To be honest, I'd have to see what they're proposing to build before I lean either way on this one. I like the main components of the plan, like turning some of the retail toward the street and adding residents, but if they're going to build a poorly-designed, painted-concrete 49-story eyesore, I'd rather keep what's there. If the design is any better than what's already there, I say good riddance.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Last edited by colemonkee; Nov 13, 2008 at 3:24 PM. Reason: stupid grammar!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 6:09 PM

^ Since this is Westfield's corporate location I believe, and the fact that they've already done a great job revamping the old mall, I think the new tower would probably be somewhat reflective of the current mall's design, which would probably be "modern, glass." The fact that Bloomingdales would be on the ground floor makes me quite confident that extra attention will be paid to making the tower just a bit more aesthetically pleasing than the current Becket "landmark" tower.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 7:29 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

One would definitely hope, and I'm an eternal optimist so I too have a positive outlook on this tower. But I don't want to rush to judgement. Can't wait to see a rendering.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 7:38 PM
World Citizen

^You guys can see several renderings here:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2008/1...commission.php

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 7:41 PM
World Citizen

Better yet:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 7:49 PM
Ascension

Beat me to it. I'm glad that there is a spur of development happening in our 'La Defense.'

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 7:53 PM
Pacific Wonderland

I had no idea that the heights in CC were regulated by FAA restrictions. I thought the heights were in the 500' range by the original plan. Interesting. 587' seems to be the max you can build there.

And The Century is 480' according to that diagram.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 8:01 PM

I like how there is alot of open space in the project. It adds to the lure of a mall.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 8:04 PM
Ascension

Now to get that subway down there. Hopefully by 2015...well..2020.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 8:07 PM

Well, you guys may want to forget about that 49 story tower; its been reduced to 39 stories. Neighborhood activists, it looks like you win this fight......

From Curbed LA,

Westfield Century City Update

Thursday, November 13, 2008, by jwilliams

The City Planning Commission is hearing the request for the big Westfield expansion in Century City this morning. We're listening in online. So far, Planning has testified in support of the project, noting the ideal location and the opportunity to "activate the street" along Santa Monica Boulevard with the reorientation of the mall. ALSO, the 49-story residential tower is no more. In its opening statement, Westfield reps announced the tower has been reduced to 39-stories and the total square footage for the project reduced by 175,000 square feet.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 8:33 PM
Ascension

That's not awful by any means.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 8:40 PM

Well, since half the people on this thread will likely agree with you, then I will as well. Still, I would have liked the design of the 49-story proposal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations