HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
Credit for our Olympic experience also needs to go to CTV. I had huge doubts about their capability at first, but wow....the quality and quantity of it all. And the way they marketed the Games helped stir up all the patriotism and civic boosterism we saw.

There was no way CBC could have done anything remotely like what CTV did.
Not just the TV coverage but the web streams were awesome, nice to see that while cracking down on pirate streams they provided an excellent alternative. Same with the CBC web stream coverage of the World Cup recently, nice hi-def streams for all games.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 6:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I do hope we'll all be able to witness another Olympics in Canada within our lifetimes. That is, a Summer Olympics.

In Vancouver. :p

That's right, screw Toronto's ambitions of being a summer host and Quebec City's winter dreams. (which would make it the second time we've stolen the Olympic host title from both cities) Vancouver ought to be competitive not only globally but also nationally.
Yeah good luck with that. Has Vancouver even tried to get the Summer Olympics? Toronto will get the summers long before any other city in this country.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 6:43 AM

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 7:00 AM

^ the scene with the luger's crash kinda made it awkward, especially in the context they put it in, but otherwise an incredible video.

Last edited by mr.x; Jul 14, 2010 at 7:34 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Yeah good luck with that. Has Vancouver even tried to get the Summer Olympics? Toronto will get the summers long before any other city in this country.
It's not like Toronto won the Summer Olympics during their first try against Atlanta or even their second try against Beijing....not even close to winning.

You never know.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Credit for our Olympic experience also needs to go to CTV. I had huge doubts about their capability at first, but wow....the quality and quantity of it all. And the way they marketed the Games helped stir up all the patriotism and civic boosterism we saw.

There was no way CBC could have done anything remotely like what CTV did.

CTV was bad - local CTV was good but it wasn't that great

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 8:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It's not like Toronto won the Summer Olympics during their first try against Atlanta or even their second try against Beijing....not even close to winning.

You never know.
My point was that at least Toronto has been vying for the summer's. I'm pretty sure Vancouver hasn't even put in a bid yet. I'd be willing to wager money that Toronto will be awarded the summer's in the next ten years. Even if Vancouver did put a bid in, the fact they just hosted the winter's means it will probably be a long time before they would even be considered.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
My point was that at least Toronto has been vying for the summer's. I'm pretty sure Vancouver hasn't even put in a bid yet. I'd be willing to wager money that Toronto will be awarded the summer's in the next ten years. Even if Vancouver did put a bid in, the fact they just hosted the winter's means it will probably be a long time before they would even be considered.
Canada won't be hosting the Olympics again anytime so soon after Vancouver. The very earliest for the Summer edition will most likely be 2028, meaning a hypothetical bid would be in 2021. Again, that's the earliest. Winning the Olympics isn't just about technical merit, but also about geopolitics....everything has to come together for things to be just right.

The 2040's will be the earliest for a Vancouver Summer Games IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

CTV was bad - local CTV was good but it wasn't that great
Compared to what CBC would have provided, CTV did a great job in quality. And it wasn't just CTV but also their affiliate TSN and Rogers Sportsnet.

Something like 1,000 hours of live television were broadcasted by the CTV consortium, whereas CBC had proposed to pair up with the Score for a paltry 250 hours.

Not to mention that their over bid for the tv rights provided VANOC with a windfall.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 10:09 AM

I recommend checking this video out!

Sounds like most of the world was quite pleased with Canada beating the USA.

(The France broadcasters had a guy from Quebec thats why he went nuts lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tves...eature=related

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 2:01 PM

So a year ago, July 2009, you couldn't mention the Olympics without some assclown bragging how they were leaving the city for those two weeks because it would be a mess, blah blah blah.

Did those people not come back? Because nobody is admitting to that now.

It was a great time... good memories watching these videos.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
how do you put a pricetag on something like this?
Its already been done:
HST

When you're telling your grandkids "When Sidney scored THAT GOAL ...."
They'll still be paying the bills.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
That was epic. So many good memories from those two weeks, only went downtown once (and that was during the first week) but man, just the non-stop coverage, and all of a sudden, we win, and it's over. that honestly was difficult to get used to.
Reminds me of something I read in the aftermath of Beijing (wish I could attribute it, but my memory isn't that good and it managed to elude a few minutes worth of Googling), about how few things are over quite so completely and abruptly as an Olympic games. Kinda made sense at the time, but I didn't fully grasp it until March 1, 2010.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 3:52 PM

Quote:
I do hope we'll all be able to witness another Olympics in Canada within our lifetimes. That is, a Summer Olympics.

In Vancouver. :p

That's right, screw Toronto's ambitions of being a summer host and Quebec City's winter dreams. (which would make it the second time we've stolen the Olympic host title from both cities) Vancouver ought to be competitive not only globally but also nationally.

Anyhow, the first ever Youth Summer Olympics is starting up in Singapore in a few weeks...that is all, no comment.
With Beijing estimated to have spent over $50 Billion and London expected to be over $60 Billlion, could Canada (Toronto, Vancouver or elsewhere) actually afford to put on the Summer Olympics in 25+ years? By then, the costs could easily pass $100 Billion.

Which makes the Montreal '76 Olympic deficit of $1.5 Billion seem quaint today, and it only took them 30 years to pay it off.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Its already been done:
HST

When you're telling your grandkids "When Sidney scored THAT GOAL ...."
They'll still be paying the bills.
Do you even know what the HST is? It doesn't represent more revenue to the government. It represents a bigger tax burden on consumers, and less on producers and retailers.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
With Beijing estimated to have spent over $50 Billion and London expected to be over $60 Billlion, could Canada (Toronto, Vancouver or elsewhere) actually afford to put on the Summer Olympics in 25+ years? By then, the costs could easily pass $100 Billion.

Which makes the Montreal '76 Olympic deficit of $1.5 Billion seem quaint today, and it only took them 30 years to pay it off.
Much of the $60-billion in London goes to building infrsatructure...it would be like saying if we were to host the 2016 Olympics, and the UBC, Surrey, Evergreen, and Canada Line expansions were all planned, that those would be directly Olympic costs.

$1.5-billion back then in Montreal '76 is multi-billions today. And last I checked they were using a cigarette tax to pay it off.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 11:41 PM

remember seeing the skyline from above during the olympic broadcasts, damn, could've been better with warships in the bay,along with all the condos...imagine the american image without nukes, would have not attracted all the " scientists"...

and because of the olympics, most ppl now see the nation as very cold,
with great beauty, full of native culture and whales~~~~vancouver is now a stereotype, but the thing is, they didn'ts show the livable side of the city, at least not on asian broadcast. some ppl i talked with even thought vancouver is a cold and snowy place, just because of whistler~~

Last edited by vansky; Jul 14, 2010 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:

oya, with a government like gordon cambell soup's, it might happen, shits r very unpredictable for the bc liberals.~

is the bc liberals actualy part of the liberals franchise? i never know much about politics...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
and because of the olympics, most ppl now see the nation as very cold,
with great beauty, full of native culture and whales~~~~vancouver is now a stereotype, but the thing is, they didn'ts show the livable side of the city, at least not on asian broadcast. some ppl i talked with even thought vancouver is a cold and snowy place, just because of whistler~~
Well, when I was in Tofino I ran into some Germans who had been in Vancouver since March and told me they were really excited to come to Vancouver after watching the Olympics, and from their opinion they think that Vancouver is now really popular around the world because of the Olympics.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks23 View Post
Well, when I was in Tofino I ran into some Germans who had been in Vancouver since March and told me they were really excited to come to Vancouver after watching the Olympics, and from their opinion they think that Vancouver is now really popular around the world because of the Olympics.
Europeans, particularly the Germans, do have an affinity for nature after destroying their own.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks23 View Post
yes that's true, ppl, especially asian forigners, now think vancouver is a bigger deal than toronto~~

as i explained with humbleness to my fellows that toronto is still the "longer dick", but they persist that vancouver had a bigger one, in terms of reputation...

i guess toronto, without an expo or olympic, is now a hungry dog, biting itself like mad...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]