HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 9:53 PM

12-plus-story mixed-use tower planned

12-plus-story mixed-use tower planned for funeral home property near downtown

SABJ
By Mitchell Parton

The owners of a funeral home close to several high-profile developments on or near Broadway Street are planning a mixed-use tower at least 12 stories tall on their property.

A mixed-use development is planned on the 1.5-acre site bounded by Brooklyn, North Alamo and Sixth streets — near U.S. Highway 281 and I-37 — with ground-floor retail, office and residential space, and potentially a hotel and structured parking. The property houses the Alamo Funeral Chapels, owned since 2003 by Mission Park Funeral Chapels and Cemeteries, a local family-owned business, under the entity MPII Inc.

James Griffin, a lawyer for Killen, Griffin & Farrimond represented the property owner in a Zoning Commission meeting Oct. 20, where the commission approved a change to downtown zoning to allow the development. He said the family has been engaged with the redevelopment of the property over the past few years. The property's current form-based zoning would limit the height, even with a variance, and would not allow for a hotel component, Griffin said.

The City Council has to finalize the zoning change, and the project will also need to go to the Board of Adjustment and the Historic and Design Review Commission for various variances and approvals

Griffin said the project team presented renderings to the Office of Historic Preservation — as the single-story Hoefgen House, designated historic in 2018, is on the site — but that office staff "didn't like" the way the building looked so the team decided not to show them to Zoning Commission. Representatives of Mission Park did not immediately respond for comment.

The project will contribute to the ongoing development of the emerging Midtown district centered around the lower Broadway corridor, with other developments nearby as well as improvements to Broadway Street itself.

The project is south of the Soto, the recently completed mass timber office and the first phase of an 8.5-acre development by Hixon Properties, planned to include modern offices, residential properties and retail. Also north of the property is the Flats at River North, a luxury apartment project from The NRP Group with retail and restaurant space.

The $45 million first phase of the Broadway Street road improvement is in progress by Sundt Construction from Houston Street to I-35. The project includes a complete renovation of the street, including curbs, sidewalks, driveway approaches, traffic signals and drainage improvements. The rehabilitation also includes landscaping, lighting, stormwater runoff management and underground utility upgrades. Completion of this phase is estimated for fall 2024.

The buildings immediately around the funeral home have not seen the same influx of development activity yet, but this project could be a catalyst that would attract other developers.

"As things are rapidly redeveloping along Broadway and on the other side of the highway, this area will hopefully catch up soon," Griffin said.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 10:56 PM

I just read that on the biz journals!! It could go higher than 12 stories. Broadway is really developing nicely!!!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 1:20 AM

The article states, a Hixon project in the area of the new 12 story project. Does anyone know what project that is?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
The article states, a Hixon project in the area of the new 12 story project. Does anyone know what project that is?
They are referring to "The Soto" building. It's the mass timber project that hixon/cavender just finished constructing. Building looks beautiful but don't see any tenants yet. I'm assuming Covid threw a massive wrench into any leases they were trying to finalize. Hope they get occupants soon.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 3:22 PM

But the Soto isn't 12 stories tall

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
But the Soto isn't 12 stories tall
The "Hixon project" is multiple blocks along Broadway that used to be car dealerships. The Soto is the first construction of their project. The "12 story project" awesomesaview references is the development that's the topic of this thread, not the Hixon project, which is in the area of (near to) the 12 story project.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 3:50 PM

Super excited for this! Of course I'd love even taller but I'd be happy with 12, especially when the stuff on Broadway isn't even that tall. I live about a 10 minute walk from here, I'm so ready for more restaurants, bars, and retail stores. I'm probably even more excited for public amenities in the area like street trees, benches, sidewalks (how sad is it that this area has so many non-existent sidewalks), and trash cans.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 6:47 PM
James

Funeral home owner planning apartment-condo mid-rise in downtown San Antonio

Quote:
Robert “Dick” Tips, owner of Mission Park Funeral Chapels and Cemeteries, is pursuing the development of a mid-rise apartment and condo building near the Broadway corridor.

The project on the 600 block of North Alamo Street would rise at least 12 stories, and include 266 apartments on the lower levels, and 196 condos on the upper levels, with a rooftop restaurant, retail on the ground floor, an event center, and a 400-space, four-level subterranean parking garage.

The property is located in a pocket of downtown that has yet to see any new development, as opposed the opposite side of Broadway, which boast the Museum Reach section of the San Antonio River.

The structure would consume 1.7 acres, and most of the square block bound by North Alamo, Brooklyn Avenue, Avenue E and 6th Street. The Alamo Funeral Chapel, which Tips purchased in the 1980s, sits on the property. Tips is moving the funeral home to a location just north of Loop 410.

I'm not a fan, it kind of looks like a hospital.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I thought the exact same thing when I saw the rendering. I love the idea of density there but wow is he wanting to shove a lot of things on 1.7 acres: ~450 residential units, less parking than 1 spot per unit, restaraunt space, commercial space, event space and imcorpating historic structures into the design. I have a feeling the plan will change a lot in the next year. The article mentions not starting construction for 2 years...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 8:11 PM
Paradise

Yeah I am not feeling this. Nice density, but weird design.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
[IMG]
I blame that on the helicopter.

The streetscape renderings are nice. I'd like more information about preserving the Hoefgen house. That area was known as Irish Flats, and there are still several small mid-19th century buildings scattered through it.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 9:12 PM
JACKinBeantown

I count 18 floors in that plywood hospital.

Design aside, I think it's a smart build in that location. It's right in between the hot areas and certainly will be in a couple years anyway. So they're building something big enough to take advantage of the rush to come. In the mean time, it will be tall enough to offer some nice views that may not get blocked in the immediate future.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 9:16 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I think the hospital analogy isn't quite right. Many hospitals are much more attractive and interesting than this building, so it's a little unfair to hospitals to make that comparison.

Edit: What the heck cityscape is in the background? Florence? Prague? So bizarre.

Last edited by Keep-SA-Lame; Dec 12, 2020 at 9:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 9:27 PM

It's an interesting design, but that certainly is more than 12 floors. I'm Just glad to see the density and height.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 10:33 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
I think the hospital analogy isn't quite right. Many hospitals are much more attractive and interesting than this building, so it's a little unfair to hospitals to make that comparison.

Edit: What the heck cityscape is in the background? Florence? Prague? So bizarre.
Antibes

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 11:23 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

If any design ever screamed Dick Tips, it’s this one.

I’m hoping the HDRC designs and tells them to get their stuff together and bring back a more credible design to the committee.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 11:24 PM

The article also states there will be a hotel component incorporated into the building. Interesting
But all that area will be flourishing in the next two to five years!!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post

I’m hoping the HDRC designs and tells them to get their stuff together and bring back a more credible design to the committee.
lol, so true. He is a great guy but this design definitely needs some work. Also, I hope he reconsiders using a GC instead of his own construction division (if I interpreted that quote correctly.) That's a recipe for disaster. Building a 12+ story building is way different than a funeral home.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 1:14 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
It's "interesting" what comes up when you search his name.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 1:38 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio