Community Guy

Panorama - 37 storey - 399' - Edmonton

been working on a 37 storey proposal for the "red leaf lands"

PANORAMA

more to come

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 10:51 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

You have really good ideas. I like this tower since it's modern and it has curves. Just like most of your buildings. Why don't you start to design a whole city? That way you can add all your buildings to it.

You also have the imagination but I would love to see your buildings detailed because they have really nice shapes and designs. Start adding floor thickness, window dividers, and also make sure that the faces are white not purple. Later on when you start rendering (which I know you will because your buildings would look awesome) the faces will look a little funky if they're faces purple.

Great job and again, the tower looks awesome. Is it a full residential, residential with office, or residential with hotel?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 10:56 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 10:56 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
You have really good ideas. I like this tower since it's modern and it has curves. Just like most of your buildings. Why don't you start to design a whole city? That way you can add all your buildings to it.

You also have the imagination but I would love to see your buildings detailed because they have really nice shapes and designs. Start adding floor thickness, window dividers, and also make sure that the faces are white not purple. Later on when you start rendering (which I know you will because your buildings would look awesome) the faces will look a little funky if they're faces purple.

Great job and again, the tower looks awesome. Is it a full residential, residential with office, or residential with hotel?

Residential

I have more detailed buildings, but prefer to post ideas...not drawings.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 11:01 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 11:53 PM

Now that i like! its awesome. very neat. good design and ideas. I agree with aleks you should make a city and include your designs. also you should render some of them. i think they would look great!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 11:58 PM
Community Guy

"i dont want to design cities, i want to design life"

or something like that

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 12:12 AM

ok

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 12:15 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by treras93 View Post
ok
i have applied to enroll in a Masters of Architecture so i need to start spewing out the crap that most architects say.

blah does their prose make me puke sometimes

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 1:44 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Idk, the last thing I wanna do is sound fake when I apply for college. My grades won't get me in but I'm a good essay writer and honors classes are helping me.

Anyways, I like this picture. The building looks very sleek and to tell you the truth, to me it seems like one of those new towers you would find in Seattle.

I like the large balconies on the third shot and that atrium on the first shot looks great too. The blue color look great and so does the gray but I feel like a shade of green with blue would look nice too. Or yellow and black/gray.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 1:47 AM
Community Guy

^thanks!

I love outdoor space, especially at 30+ floors up and feel so many developers do not take enough advantage of them.

I mean if im paying $750,000+ for a unit i want a kick ass deck to sun tan on, entertain, BBQ, and perhaps hot tub on.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 2:08 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yes, I think large outdoor decks look great in tall buildings or if it's not an outdoor deck, it should have a Sun Room with like 7 windows that slide up, down, or to the sides where you can enjoy a small garden in your house. In the Summer you open the windows, and on the Winter you close the windows and you still have a small jungle in the concrete jungle.

Yeah, I would buy a condo too if I had the money, and age. The problem with Seattle is that no matter how the rest of the country does, houses are extremely expensive here. A penthouse isn't a million any more. The cheapest penthouse in Seattle is like 5.5 million bucks and the most expensive that I know of is 9,999,999 million dollars. Just one dollar under the 10 million. And that's only the empty floors, you still have to add walls, pluming, furniture, all that jazz....

A condo tower like yours would be a little higher too. Probably around 450' because people here love high ceilings and the penthouse would be between 5 to 6 million bucks. I would love to see this building get built.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 3:20 PM
Community Guy

^FYI standard floor heights are 8', usually 9' now and 10' for larger units with penthouses maybe 12'.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 10:29 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yeah, they are most of the time. My house has a floor height of 8 feet but the new condos downtown (Seattle) have really thin floor plates because in Seattle it's hot to own an "open unit." It's a rich wanna be hippy thing. Instead of trying to make the buildings look bull and all they now make the tubes, A/C open so people can see them. Plus lofts are really popular here. hmmm...

I believe the penthouse thing though. I estimated that height because theres a building here U/C called Olive 8 and it has like 2 more floors than your design but it's 460 feet tall.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 11:22 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Yeah, they are most of the time. My house has a floor height of 8 feet but the new condos downtown (Seattle) have really thin floor plates because in Seattle it's hot to own an "open unit." It's a rich wanna be hippy thing. Instead of trying to make the buildings look bull and all they now make the tubes, A/C open so people can see them. Plus lofts are really popular here. hmmm...

I believe the penthouse thing though. I estimated that height because theres a building here U/C called Olive 8 and it has like 2 more floors than your design but it's 460 feet tall.
There is a 35 storey residential tower going up here that is 371' so i based it off of that.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 7:00 PM

Looks good.

I know its just a simple massing exercise, but it'd be kind of cool if the podium was a little larger instead of just the tower - or is that the way you like it? Would you see other use for the space at ground level around the building (I know that's beyond the model...just curious on your thoughts

EDIT: In some ways, it looks like One Wall Center, but with chopped off ends for balconies (which, I like your version better)...it also looks better since the glass doesn't change half-way up :-)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 8:17 PM
Community Guy

^i love podiums generally but some buildings look so good with a slender base. I would have water features and significant landscaping on the more open ground level which is prefer at times to say amenity space or townhouses.

This lot is quite small so i am restricted as well.

~14,000sqft i believe.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 3:54 PM

^I see your point. You're right, and larger podium would take away from its slenderness - especially since its under 400'.

It does look great.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 12:56 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

This is exactly the type of tower I had always hoped to see on all those tight sites in the McKay Ave district, which I call cliffside, since that's exactly what it is... To me Edmonton House has the perfect proportions for a residential high rise tower and I still marvel at it every time I take the bus up and down Bellamy Hill...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup