HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 10:00 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
There are skunks that deep into the inner city? That's one thing I don't think I've ever seen in urban Hfx. We get lots of racoons, along with the odd porcupine and deer though.
Vancouver has skunks sighted almost as commonly as racoons, at least in the areas I have lived (West & East Ends). Also we've had coyotes here miles from any natural habitat (there was a recent culling in Stanley Park).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 11:14 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
There are skunks that deep into the inner city? That's one thing I don't think I've ever seen in urban Hfx. We get lots of racoons, along with the odd porcupine and deer though.
Oh man. The West End is full of skunks. I can't help but love the little stinkers, but they've hampered my journey to my apartment a few times.

I had one park itself right in front of my building's entrance one night. Whenever I'd approach, he'd lift his tail. It was like three in the morning, and all I wanted to do is go to sleep. He eventually moved on after a fifteen minute stand off.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 3:59 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

My neighbourhood is the coolest because it is the only one I can move around.

*weeps*

*peeks through fingers to see if anyone else has made the joke*

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 4:31 AM

Plenty of skunks in downtown Sherbrooke.

I recall, years ago, I even had one that had installed itself in the basement of one of my buildings, in the fall. That building was a run-down 10 units where I had recently replaced the previous tenants by new Latino tenants, and the guy who lived in the unit that had access to the basement (full of junk from the previous owner) kept venturing in there and always found interesting stuff and was proud of his little discoveries and was always showing me new stuff (typically not interesting to me, but I usually played along).

That one day, I was there and he really wanted to show me something that was apparently a problem in the basement according to him, he went down, I followed, took me to a section of the basement, he had his flashlight aimed in an area, and wanted to show me the "zorrillo" that I apparently needed to see in order to eventually do something about it, I didn't know that word despite speaking good Spanish at that time (the guy was unilingual so we couldn't communicate in another language), I didn't see what he was talking about so I was advancing towards where I was pointing to, trying to see what he wanted me to see, meanwhile as I was continuing to venture forward looking for it, he was telling me that he thought it wasn't a good idea to get too close to the zorrillo but I was honestly expecting some object (and was used to him being a paranoid/conservative person; was pretty sure whatever he wanted to show me was in fact harmless), and when I finally spotted the live skunk in the light of his flashlight in my dark basement I was fucking close to it and kinda cornering it, likely a hair away from getting sprayed, I retreated immediately and blasted the guy for letting me approach the skunk but he was like "well I was telling you not to go too close".

My vocabulary in Spanish gained one word permanently that night.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada