HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:21 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1) There was a permit issued yesterday to build a new 4 story, 89 unit building with 117 parking spaces at 133 S Ashland. That is the NE corner of Ashland & Adams near Skinner Park. Currently a vacant lot - the previous 2 story building was torn down in the last 2 years. Difference being that there was a surface parking lot in the previous too. Given the number of units and floors, I'd expect most of the lot to be taken up.

Looks like Michigan Avenue Real Estate Group with Jerry Reinsdorf might be behind this. If I had to guess, it's probably going to look the same as the mediocre looking 4 story residential buildings from MAREG that have gone up in the same area, such as the one at Adams & Laflin. Or perhaps one of their other buildings up the street at 21 S Ashland (https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...3!4d-87.666314). Nonetheless, it should at least make that area a little more seamless urbanity wise.
Yes, this was part of the arrangement that Cedar Street brokered when they bought the YMCA property (almost a full block). Cedar Street specializes in dense rentals aimed at highly mobile young people - I almost said Millennials but I guess it's starting to be Zoomers now as well. Anyway, the community did not want Cedar Street's density levels across the entire site and wanted some owner-occupied housing as well, so Cedar Street broke off a chunk and sold it to MAREG.

MAREG's buildings are boring but they work fine on a quiet residential block like Laflin. On Ashland they are utterly wrong - their existing building has residential terraces at grade, facing two of the busiest streets in the city. Miserable, awful design, just asking for no privacy and burglaries. They need to either do mixed-use with retail, or sink the 1st floor a few feet below grade like all-residential buildings used to do and put parking/storage there.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:22 PM

Wow that River North filler on 61 W Erie really got downgraded, what a missed opportunity. I'll definitely get an upfront look at it going up as I frequent Kman for pints haha.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yes, this was part of the arrangement that Cedar Street brokered when they bought the YMCA property (almost a full block). Cedar Street specializes in dense rentals aimed at highly mobile young people - I almost said Millennials but I guess it's starting to be Zoomers now as well. Anyway, the community did not want Cedar Street's density levels across the entire site and wanted some owner-occupied housing as well, so Cedar Street broke off a chunk and sold it to MAREG.

MAREG's buildings are boring but they work fine on a quiet residential block like Laflin. On Ashland they are utterly wrong - their existing building has residential terraces at grade, facing two of the busiest streets in the city. Miserable, awful design, just asking for no privacy and burglaries. They need to either do mixed-use with retail, or sink the 1st floor a few feet below grade like all-residential buildings used to do and put parking/storage there.
I just walked by on Monday actually, and was in awe at just how terrible this design flaw was. If someone had been eating on their "patio" I could have eaten right off their plate.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:

MAREG has gotten somewhat better with their designs. Here's their recent proposal in Oak Park, hopefully 133 S. Ashland still looks better than this

https://www.oakpark.com/News/Article...spite-critics/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:31 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
^^Imma be honest, why the hell is this even still being considered?
As much as I hate to admit it I have to agree. Though who wouldn't love a rebuild there with increased parkland and accessibility that price tag, woof.
So much could be done with 3billion dollar elsewhere in so many other areas, including other Chicago parks. That price tag could probably cover both the IC tracks and Kenney Cap through downtown and still have 1.5billion left over. It could also help build the last 4more miles of N.LSD and enhance S.LSD lakefront parks.

Not to mention I worry about if this redesign will properly account in the scenario of potentially increasing water levels. Will gently sloping beaches be enough to keep water levels from eroding lakefront or even the Drive itself?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:29 PM
Urbane observer

^Remember that both federal and state highway trust funds have dedicated revenue sources that can't be diverted to other needs.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^Remember that both federal and state highway trust funds have dedicated revenue sources that can't be diverted to other needs.
our $0.38 per gallon gas tax at work!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 9:26 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
New construction permit was finally issued for 61 W Erie in River North - between Dearborn and Clark. Current scope is 6 stories tall with 28 units and only 2 parking spaces.
I thought this one needed zoning approval since they were considering a switch to a Sonder Hotel? Sounds like they're doing a TOD rental instead.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 10:04 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Yeah but how much of that $3bn price tag is eligible for funding from those sources? Seems like a lot of the cost is related to lakefill, flood prevention/coastal work and park projects.

In a big-picture sense, LSD is a unique road with unique needs, I'm not sure we want to take a huge amount of Federal money with strings attached. Will IDOT need to raise the speed limit and embrace design standards for faster speeds? Will huge signage and glaring lighting be required? etc etc.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I thought this one needed zoning approval since they were considering a switch to a Sonder Hotel? Sounds like they're doing a TOD rental instead.
Oh there's ground floor retail too. Who knows what the deal is, but this is the text for the permit:

"NEW 6-STY RETAIL AND 28 RESIDENTIAL UNITS W/ (7 AS EFFICIENCY UNITS AND 21 AS DWELLING UNITS) 2 PARKING SPACES AS PER PLANS.(conditional permit subject to field inspections)"

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:51 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...moving-forward

GREG HINZ ON POLITICS
September 24, 2020 02:26 PM UPDATED 4 HOURS AGO

Big, green rebuild of North Lake Shore Drive moving forward

The $3 billion project includes beach space and an eye-catching new park, but it still needs funding and is years away from completion.

I'd love to see this. If they do it, I think they should construct the expressway portion so that it could theoretically serve a "Lower Michigan" if the city ever decided to do that for BRT.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:00 PM
The City

^ I’d love to see that project happen

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:22 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Yeah but how much of that $3bn price tag is eligible for funding from those sources? Seems like a lot of the cost is related to lakefill, flood prevention/coastal work and park projects.
All the federal highway bills since 1992 have included setasides for "transportation enhancement," which has been used for some pretty peripheral things, even including historic preservation of nearby buildings. No problem at all to tap into that for making a historic parkway more scenic or more protected from winter erosion.

Quote:
LSD is a unique road with unique needs, I'm not sure we want to take a huge amount of Federal money with strings attached. Will IDOT need to raise the speed limit and embrace design standards for faster speeds? Will huge signage and glaring lighting be required? etc etc.
No, also since 1992 there have been special provisions for scenic byways. Now if LSD were to be given an Interstate number, that would pressure IDOT to bring it up to Interstate standards. But otherwise it's all up to IDOT and the eternal battle between those who understand that a parkway is for more than moving vehicles and those who hide behind the Engineering Green Book and say "but the standard says this." The 1991 reconstruction on the North Side added new median dividers with a unique Moderne design that FHWA signed off on, and the Moderne overpasses at North Avenue and 47th have been reconstructed since then with the cooperation of IDOT.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:21 PM
TL;DR

I'm less concerned about aesthetics, though - maybe I misspoke in emphasizing signage and lighting. I know Federal money can be used for enhancements under "Context Sensitive Solutions" (because some solutions don't need to worry about context! ). Even the Circle Interchange was able to use upgraded barrier/railing designs and somehow avoided fencing along the sidewalks on each overpass, and that involved two interstate routes.

More concerned about lane width, breakdown lanes, curve radii/superelevation, grades - things that dramatically affect the footprint of the road, and how drivers behave while using it. Fundamentally LSD is different from an interstate highway, and different from a boulevard - it's in that weird parkway category that seems to be poorly understood or hated by drivers and urbanists alike, for opposite reasons.

I think IDOT botched the reconstruction on the South Side already and turned it into a drag strip. I dunno, maybe it was always that way... but I assumed there was a time when it was more similar to the North Side section, with tighter curves, trees/barriers close to the roadway, short transitions at on/offramps, etc. At least they didn't put in shoulders and gobble up even more parkland, although every time I bike down the lakefront trail that way I see several lightposts on the ground, knocked down by reckless drivers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development