HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

View Poll Results: Electric Vehicle Ownership Poll
I own a BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) 7 21.88%
I own a PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) 2 6.25%
I own an HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle) 2 6.25%
I'm considering a BEV (Tesla, LEAF, Bolt, etc.) 6 18.75%
I'm considering a PHEV (Volt, etc.) 6 18.75%
I'm considering a HEV (Prius, etc.) 3 9.38%
I would only buy a non-electric gas or diesel car 3 9.38%
I don't want a car 4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post
Ottawa banning all cars!!
Banning all cars does not discriminate.
Banning only Tesla does.
What if we banned Ford cars on highway 417?

China banning Tesla cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCzU5BF-110

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Banning all cars does not discriminate.
Banning only Tesla does.
What if we banned Ford cars on highway 417?

China banning Tesla cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCzU5BF-110
Watch the video. By the way, similar restrictions are being put in at sensitive sights here too. And there's active discussions on how to handle cars with sensors, especially now that so many EVs are being exported from China.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 1:58 AM

Yes, Sutcliffee and the NCC should take it the next step and implement ULEZ.

Low Emission Zones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-emission_zone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_Low_Emission_Zone

As a Tesla owner, the only vehicles I should see is Teslas, other EVs and bikes. And Mark Sutcliffe's vehicle.

Any vehicle that adds a ton of CO2 should receive an $35 ticket (equivalent to a parking ticket in a parking lot where the parking rate is 25$/day). Any unpaid tickets would lead to a tow truck.

Think about the benefits? Queen Elizabeth way closing for bikes has added 5 minutes to my drive to Whole Foods Market. With this LEZ, i will be able to get to Whole Foods in 5 less minutes and keep active transportation for the people.

Thank you for your support everyone.

----
very satire.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 3:12 AM

We don't have a problem with air quality in Canada. Why did we need a ULEZ? What we could use is a Congestion Charge Zone (CCZ) to control traffic.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 1:18 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

EV charging stations scarce from Ottawa to the Quebec border, drivers say
Most stations clustered in Casselman, Hawkesbury

CBC News
Posted: Sep 10, 2023 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: September 10

Electric vehicle drivers who travel between Ottawa and the Quebec border near Montreal say the region would benefit from more charging stations.

According to the ChargeHub website, which drivers use to locate stations, there are only 16 in the United Counties of Prescott and Russell, which stretches from Clarence-Rockland, Ont., to Hawkesbury, Ont.

The majority of them are split between Hawkesbury, which has six, and Casselman, which has five — the only five located directly along Highway 417.

"You really have to have the app to find them," said Jean Yves Pigeon, who occasionally drives his electric car from Montreal to visit friends in eastern Ontario.

"On the side of the highway, there aren't that many."

His car's battery can easily cover the 500-kilometre round trip, but from time to time he opts to charge along the way, especially in the winter.

Pigeon says charging stations on the Ontario leg of his trip are scarce compared to in Quebec.

Sharolyn Higgs agrees.

She lives in Orléans and says she either avoids certain routes when heading east to Montreal or she charges up her vehicle enough to make it to Quebec, the infrastructure is better.

"The infrastructure needs to get better. We need more high-powered chargers, and we need more need more of them at those stops," Higgs said. "So you'll pull in [and] there's one. We need six or seven."

Antonios Tsounourakis owns one of the smattering of charging stations in that part of eastern Ontario.

He installed chargers outside his restaurant in Hawkesbury because he saw a hole in the market and figured it would be a good way to attract customers.

"It takes at least fifteen or twenty minutes to get a nice charge," said Tsounourakis, who also owns an electric vehicle.

"That's enough time to eat something or do a little shopping. It gives people something to do while they're waiting for their cars to load."

Tsounourakis, who's also a town councillor, said the scarcity of chargers in the region puts drivers in a tight spot. Superchargers, which are particularly efficient, are especially hard to come by outside of Casselman, he added.

"If you're really at zero, it's going to take time to have a full charge. But with the superchargers that you see in Casselman or [the Montreal area], you can be charged up to 80 per cent in 25 minutes. We don't have that here."

The scarcity isn't unique to this corner of the province. Earlier this year, industry experts said that while EV sales have exploded in Canada, the supporting charging infrastructure is lagging in Ontario.

The federal government announced funding this year for EV charging stations in Toronto and Ottawa, but that won't help to bring stations to communities outside city limits.

"If you get to a place and the charger doesn't work, you're stuck because you don't have the range to get to another one. That's a problem."

Tsounourakis said he's seen his chargers save a few desperate motorists.

Electric car sales are rising quickly in Canada, said Raymond Leury, president of the Electric Vehicle Council of Ottawa.

"It's certain that as the number of electric vehicles increases, the number of chargers will have to as well," he told Radio-Canada.

"Where we need chargers is either at the destination where we're headed, or on the way to the destination."

As for Tsounourakis, he bought his Tesla two years ago and he appreciates how economical it is compared to its gasoline-powered predecessor.

"It's been two years now and I can see that it's the future," he said.

"Like all things, it takes time, it will get better. But we can't stop making progress just because we encounter obstacles. We have to do what we can to move forward."

With files from Chantal Dubuc and Natalia Goodwin

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...-say-1.6960654

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 2:01 PM

As I have said before, Hwy 7 is far more of a charging desert than the 417. The switchover to NACS will help open up the Supercharger network to non Teslas but even still there is still a long stretch without either a NACS or CCS DCFC. Of course none of that will help LEAF owners, as they use CHAdeMO, which cannot be adapted to either NACS or CCS.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 2:25 PM
Mooderator

I was in Manitoba a couple of weeks ago. Parents came in with the Lightning and charged in Winnipeg. You want to talk about no infrastructure, come to rural MB. Got home 250 km away and had 30 km left.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
As I have said before, Hwy 7 is far more of a charging desert than the 417. The switchover to NACS will help open up the Supercharger network to non Teslas but even still there is still a long stretch without either a NACS or CCS DCFC. Of course none of that will help LEAF owners, as they use CHAdeMO, which cannot be adapted to either NACS or CCS.
Tesla has NACS in Perth, Madoc & Peterborough, never been an issue for me, I travel that route a lot. Can't speak for CCS

Edit:
Here is the present usage info on Superchargers between Ottawa & along Hwy 7 (11:38AM)
Bell's Corners 5/8 available
Perth 7/8 available
Madoc 8/8 available
Peterborough 11/12 Available

There is still a really good supply of available charging ports, making it harder to justify building more

Last edited by Tesladom; Sep 11, 2023 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 3:33 PM

Hilton to install 20,000 Tesla Chargers

https://stories.hilton.com/releases/...at-2000-hotels

I travel a lot with my car and only select holtels with Destination chargers, I usually find most Hilton Group hotels are pretty good at offering this already, but another move in the right direction.
Destination charging is the most lacking infrastructure in my opinion

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 4:52 PM

I saw this and thought it was interesting for new EV owners.

Quote:
Ivy Charging Network introduces Ivy Home Eco Incentive for Ontario customers
  • 3 minute read

Ivy Charging Network is here to help drivers switch to driving electric by providing simple, reliable and affordable charging solutions. Photo: Ivy Charging Network

Published on
02 October 2023

AUTHOR
Ivy Charging Network

The new Ivy Home Eco Incentive substantially reduces the cost of professional installation for Ivy Home customers, making sustainable transportation even more attainable

This article is Sponsor Content presented by Ivy Charging Network

Ivy Charging Network is here to help drivers switch to driving electric by providing simple, reliable and affordable charging solutions.

Ivy operates one of Ontario’s most extensive public charging networks. But this year the company expanded its services this year to include home charging.

We are pleased to introduce Ivy Home and the complementary Ivy Home Eco Incentive.

This comprehensive made-in-Ontario solution includes a Level 2 smart charger with professional install and up to $1,000 in savings.

Ivy’s goal with this suite of products is simple: smoothing the road for more Ontarians to own and enjoy electric vehicles.

About Ivy Home

Ivy Home is an all-in-one home EV charging solution.

The Home package offers a Level 2 charger, professional installation, a 3-year warranty and ongoing member support as well as access to Ivy’s public charging network at a discounted rate.

Ivy also offers a range of flexible payment options to help meet our customers’ preferences.

Ivy Home buyers can select from interest-free monthly payment plans, or they have the choice to pay upfront.

Regardless of the chosen path, customers have complete ownership of the charger from day one.

Customers also have the option to purchase just the Ivy Home Smart Charger (without the installation) providing Ontarians with more flexible charging options.

Recognizing the value behind professional installations

Ivy recommends customers working with a Licensed Electrical Contractor during the home charging setup process.

“Improper installations can lead to severe consequences such as electrical fires, property damage and personal injury,” advises Trevor Tremblay, Technical Advisor at the Electrical Safety Authority.

“It’s crucial to understand that electrical work requires a high level of expertise and adherence to safety standards.”

Ivy has established a network of ESA-certified electrical contractors who efficiently install chargers, providing customers with timely charging solutions.

This ensures a stress-free installation. It eliminates guesswork and ensures the charger is correctly set up with a 240 volt outlet, while adhering to electrical code.

The Ivy Home Eco Incentive

To encourage EV adoption supporting Ontario’s ambitious climate change goals, Ivy has launched the Ivy Home Eco Incentive.

This incentive offers up to $1,000 in savings for Ivy Home customers to help remove barriers to home charging to encourage more Ontarians to adopt EVs.

This incentive is available for a limited time only to the first 200 customers, so EV drivers are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible.

Getting the Ivy Home Eco Incentive

To take advantage of the benefits of the Ivy Home Eco Incentive, customers must complete a simple estimate form.

This form captures essential details about the customers’ home charging setup, allowing Ivy’s installation partner to craft a personalized estimate.

Upon completion of the estimate, customers will receive an email that includes final details and an all-inclusive price for the home charger, installation and other key benefits.

Learn more about Ivy Home and order your solution today.
https://electricautonomy.ca/2023/10/...rging-ontario/

Old Posted Dec 31, 2023, 4:21 PM

I just received an email from Electrify Canada saying that they are switching to per kWh pricing. Does this make them the first charging network in Canada to charge per kWh?

Quote:
Electrify Canada Introduces New Pricing Structure Featuring Kilowatt-Hour Pricing
Energy-based rates and station-specific pricing simplify the EV charging experience

Ajax, ON (December 6, 2023) – Electrify Canada announced today a new station-specific, kilowatt-hour (kWh) based pricing structure at charging stations nationwide. The new pricing structure will take effect on January 9, 2024.

The new kWh pricing will provide a more fair and transparent experience for electric vehicle (EV) drivers across Electrify Canada’s public DC fast charging network. Customers will be billed based on the energy used to charge their EV, eliminating time-based charges for energy. Electrify Canada’s new billing structure aligns to recent regulatory changes that now allow for energy-based pricing at applicable DC fast charging stations.

“Electric vehicle owners like the transparency of kilowatt-hour pricing – letting them pay for the amount of energy used to charge their EVs,” said Robert Barrosa, president and CEO of Electrify Canada and Electrify America. “We're pleased to be able to offer a simpler and fairer billing structure to EV drivers across the Electrify Canada network.”

As part of this evolution, the transition to station-specific pricing with rates varying by location will reflect local market influences in order to continue providing the highest level of service across the network.

Customers will still be able to save 20% on charging (excluding idle fees) across the Electrify Canada network by signing up for a Pass+ membership at the cost of $7 per month. The simplest way to access these new competitive prices is by downloading the Electrify Canada mobile app. EV drivers can find a charging station, view the station pricing, identify the number of available chargers, begin a charging session, and track its progress – all from the mobile app.

Specific pricing information is available on the Electrify Canada mobile app.

About Electrify Canada
Electrify Canada was established in July 2018. Electrify Canada’s goal is to promote greater Zero-Emission Vehicle (ZEV) adoption by building a transformative, open DC fast charging network that gives Canadians the speed and reliability to confidently make the switch to electric. Electrify Canada’s Electrify Home® offers home charging solutions for consumers with flexible installation options. Electrify Commercial® provides expert solutions for businesses looking to develop electric vehicle charging programs. For more information, visit electrify-canada.ca.
https://media.electrify-canada.ca/en-ca/releases/47

Old Posted Jan 1, 2024, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I just received an email from Electrify Canada saying that they are switching to per kWh pricing. Does this make them the first charging network in Canada to charge per kWh?

https://media.electrify-canada.ca/en-ca/releases/47
Tesla has been doing it for a few months now.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaGoose View Post
Tesla has been doing it for a few months now.
We did an experiment yesterday (and the day before) on our run to Peterborough and charged to the same dollar value each day.

We got a different number of KwH for the same (within a penny) cost.

It wasn't dramatically different, but it was different. We were experimenting to see what difference preconditioning made to cost (obviously time would be faster but since we are now paying per kWh if we used up kWh in preconditioning, we'd have to replace them, adding to our cost when we charged, so would it be a 'wash'?) The car often starts preconditioning long before getting to a supercharger (for instance, yesterday it started 139km out but we stopped it and decided to do the experiment.)

The number of kWh we used and added differ in Teslafi, it was closer in the tesla app.

Dec 31, teslafi said we used 27.9 kWh, added 25.53 kWh, for $16.15 (tesla charged me for 27.389 kWh at $0.59) Charge time according to teslafi was 13 minutes and average speed was 115kW. (There was 20 minutes of preconditioning in this case, it had started earlier but I stopped it.)

Jan 1, teslafi said we used 26.8, added 23.95 for $16.16, (tesla billed me 27.403 kWh at $0.59 each) Charge time was 20 minutes and average speed was 80kW.

Our question was since preconditioning eats into one's range so dramatically, is it worthwhile to do? (And on Jan 1, the preconditioning kicked in 138km away from the Supercharger.)

Both chargers (Madoc and Perth) have the same output 250. Both had other cars on the same set of 4 chargers with us while we charged (there were more in Madoc than Perth.) The temps were almost the same both days.

We'll precondition in the future because what we hadn't figured on the kWh being used to heat the battery while the charging was taking place. It seems like it was a wash in cost and obviously the time saving was worth it.

The only exception would be if we are trying to skip an SC completely.

Yesterday, on the way home the Nav had added the supercharger after originally saying we'd have 17% battery left on arrival at home without charging. As that dropped, it added a 5 minute stop in Perth. But when I turned of the preconditioning by cancelling the route, and then reentered home as the destination, it didn't require the stop in Perth and said we'd get home with 7%.

We always intended to stop in Perth because we only charge at 110v at home and needed to do another 150km today, so needed to add kWh from a SC. We stayed longer and added more than we would have normally just because we were doing the experiment and we arrived home at 41% and left at 67% this morning. (Today's trip offered a destination charger so another 9 kWh were added there before the car started home. It is enroute right now but estimated there will be 41% left when it gets home, more than enough for our in-city use over the next few days.)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation