HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Phoenix is the nation's 5th largest — but is it a 'real' city?

I know, not about a Tucson project, however its a great AZ Republic article reflecting on how Phx falls short in comparison to other URBAN major and large cities. For me, it explains why Phx is not my cup of tea.
Well you can keep sipping your tea as your city is continually passed over for major job announcements to your "non-real city" neighbor to the north!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Well you can keep sipping your tea as your city is continually passed over for major job announcements to your "non-real city" neighbor to the north!
Yeah, I used to sip that tea once. In the early 90's, I used to hope that Tucson would one day grow to rival Phoenix. I waited, and I waited, and I waited...

Eventually, I needed to make a move in order to advance my career. I have good memories of Tucson, but I find it ridiculous how some from Tucson believe (and frequently comment how) Phoenix falls short of other cities when Tucson itself is in a completely different (downgraded) class altogether.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Awww. Did the AZCentral article hurt your fragile feelings? Your insecurity speaks volumes about how you really feel about Phoenix.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Agreed. Inferiority complex at its best

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Yeah, I used to sip that tea once. In the early 90's, I used to hope that Tucson would one day grow to rival Phoenix. I waited, and I waited, and I waited...

Eventually, I needed to make a move in order to advance my career. I have good memories of Tucson, but I find it ridiculous how some from Tucson believe (and frequently comment how) Phoenix falls short of other cities when Tucson itself is in a completely different (downgraded) class altogether.
Different. Yes. Downgraded? Absolutely not. I can understand higher paying jobs and better entertainment options but Tucson can hold its own. Top 10 biking city, better air quality, a richer culture and top 10 schools. Basis schools was founded in Tucson. Also, how many cities in North America is UNESCO's city of gastronomy?

Last edited by andrewsaturn; Jun 13, 2017 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:13 PM

Don't worry Phoenix has just as many problems....I am just biased to the East Valley

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 3:30 PM

In Phoenix you are always 5 mins from an Olive Garden but 100 miles from culture

Tucson has many problems, but it is rich in history and embraces its diversity. I feel as if Phoenix covers up all of that with a blanket of blandness.

Tucson's fatal flaw is that we try to compete with Phoenix. We will never win that. Instead, we should strive to be the states' alternative. Where Phoenix continues to spread out with cookie cutter housing developments, Tucson should look to infill, preserving and growing its older, culturally significant neighborhoods. Where Phoenix marks success by the construction of another strip mall with chain stores and restaurants, Tucson should work to support its local businesses that make the city unique.

I want Tucson to have a relationship to Phoenix similar to what Austin has to Dallas. I want Tucson to be that smaller, cooler, more laid back city to the South. We kill ourselves by constantly comparing ourselves to Phoenix

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 3:34 PM

The AZ Republic article was very self-reflective. I can write an article about what sucks about Tucson...but the pluses are what keeps me here. People can write negative and/or self-reflective pieces on Tucson all day long...I'll read it and say: Yes, that's true...no, that's wrong...oh, never looked at it that way...but unless it gets racial, I'll respect the opinion.

IF I were to live in a major-metro area I would live in a city like Seattle, SF, NY, Chicago, Boston...not Phx for many of the reasons stated. A plus for Phx for me would me proximity to Tucson and affordability (as a large metro area, which was mentioned in the article), that's about it. I grew up dreaming of living in L.A., however after living near the Bay area for a few years, and my profession being a planner, the extreme urban sprawl of certain cities vs the importance of density, culture, and transportation really became important to me.

There are many cool things about Phx...but not important enough to make me move there. I know its hard for some Phoenicians to understand why and how many Tucsonans live and cherish this region...but I guess it can only be explained as a Tucson-thing. Same way I can wear my UofA gear in Chicago and a stranger will pass me and say, "Beardown!" Its a small gesture and example, but part of our culture.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 3:39 PM

Olive Garden? You obviously have not been to the valley lately. I can find so many different cuisines from other parts of the world that I can't find in Tucson....

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Phoenix is the nation's 5th largest — but is it a 'real' city?

I know, not about a Tucson project, however its a great AZ Republic article reflecting on how Phx falls short in comparison to other URBAN major and large cities. For me, it explains why Phx is not my cup of tea.
You had to know the troll army would jump on this.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 4:23 PM
BANNED

I don't consider myself a troll and I am a Phoenix resident, but I love Tucson for exactly what it is and isn't. I always enjoy coming down and enjoying the unique things that make Tucson a wonderful place. The fact that some of you can't see that in reverse is ridiculous. Firstly, Phoenix has incredible restaurants, galleries, museums, beautiful neighborhoods and has a downtown culture that is progressive and active. New urban pioneers are reviving neighborhood after neighborhood at a level that you may never experience due to our much bigger population and new influx of people here. On average, nearly 80K people have been moving here each year for the past few years. If you pass through on a freeway or don't come to really get to know what makes Phoenix tick, you're really missing a lot, just as anyone passing Tucson and not thinking much of it from driving by it on I-10. We both exist with great attributes each.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballister View Post
I don't consider myself a troll and I am a Phoenix resident, but I love Tucson for exactly what it is and isn't. I always enjoy coming down and enjoying the unique things that make Tucson a wonderful place. The fact that some of you can't see that in reverse is ridiculous. Firstly, Phoenix has incredible restaurants, galleries, museums, beautiful neighborhoods and has a downtown culture that is progressive and active. New urban pioneers are reviving neighborhood after neighborhood at a level that you may never experience due to our much bigger population and new influx of people here. On average, nearly 80K people have been moving here each year for the past few years. If you pass through on a freeway or don't come to really get to know what makes Phoenix tick, you're really missing a lot, just as anyone passing Tucson and not thinking much of it from driving by it on I-10. We both exist with great attributes each.
Thank you for a thoughtful contribution. Most of my wife's family lives in Phoenix and, although I don't go out of my way to visit frequently, there are definitely areas in the Valley that have appeal. That appeal, though, generally doesn't seem to be premised on a unique sense of place and I think that's a big reason that Phoenix feels like flyover country to many people. In other words, what is it about Phoenix destinations that makes a visitor feel like they help define the city? I'm honestly not sure in this case, but I think that's what draws people back to a place.

For all of Tucson's problems, it definitely offers a sense of place that some people really buy into. Other people - the ones who refer to Tucson as an extension of Mexico in often derogatory tones - may not buy into it, but they obviously still experience it.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 9:05 PM

Could we get back to development related discussion and table the cultural appropriation speak?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 6:03 PM

Resonance, a travel branding firm, rated Tucson as the second best city with a population under a million! First place went to Honolulu. The article is linked below:

http://resonanceco.com/blog/watch-am...ties-revealed/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicosSuperfries View Post
Resonance, a travel branding firm, rated Tucson as the second best city with a population under a million! First place went to Honolulu. The article is linked below:

http://resonanceco.com/blog/watch-am...ties-revealed/
I enjoyed watching the video describing each city and what each city ranked high in. I felt each high mark for the cities I've lived and been in were spot on. Pretty neat to see El Paso in there.

I was shocked to not see Phoenix ranked in the top 10 for larger cities. LOL. Just teasing.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
I enjoyed watching the video describing each city and what each city ranked high in. I felt each high mark for the cities I've lived and been in were spot on. Pretty neat to see El Paso in there.

I was shocked to not see Phoenix ranked in the top 10 for larger cities. LOL. Just teasing.
Hmm...I'm shocked Tucson actually found itself on a "best of" list...lol. JUST TEASING.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Could we get back to development related discussion and table the cultural appropriation speak?
Pipe down. It's been a good conversation despite your big boy words.

Last edited by Ballister; Jun 19, 2017 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 10:03 PM

The May meeting minutes for Rio Nuevo are online. Some cool ideas were brought up including Peach building retail/office space on the parking lot at 44 Broadway and the parking lot directly behind it between Ochoa and Jackson.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
The May meeting minutes for Rio Nuevo are online. Some cool ideas were brought up including Peach building retail/office space on the parking lot at 44 Broadway and the parking lot directly behind it between Ochoa and Jackson.
In that presentation, the below concept was presented for the parking lot to the west of 44 E Broadway

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
In Phoenix you are always 5 mins from an Olive Garden but 100 miles from culture

I want Tucson to have a relationship to Phoenix similar to what Austin has to Dallas. I want Tucson to be that smaller, cooler, more laid back city to the South. We kill ourselves by constantly comparing ourselves to Phoenix
I see this criticism of many "not east coast" cities all the time, LA was derided this way until relatively recently, like 1980 if not later. What is this "culture" newer cities do not have? Everyone talks about it but nobody can tell me what it is.

Is it local restaurants and cool places to eat? Phoenix has tons, especially in the last decade.

Is it old building? That seems rather unfair, everything is new at some point.

Is it unique stiles of living? I would say Phoenix and Tucson and Arizona have plenty Identifiable cultural differences in that regard compared to eastern cities.

It seems to be it goes along the lines of "if it isn't like New York, Chicago or San Francisco it doesn't have culture" when I would argue many western cities culture is the fact that they ARE NOT LIKE the traditional east coast cities. The culture is boomtown, the culture is a modern melting pot, not just from other countries but other cities in the USA, the culture is wide open spaces and a relaxed lifestyle.

Not for everyone I know; but not everyone wants to live in Brooklyn if they did why would western cities be growing so fast!??

Also, when people make fun of being close to chain restaurants is the biggest strawman ever, the suburbs of ANY large metropolitan area in North America could describe being close to an olive garden and far from culture.

People love Chicago and New York, but you don't hear so much about the cultural wonder that is Carpentersville, or West Orange NJ.

All the D**k measuring between totally different types of cities, historically and geographically is pretty stupid and a massive waste of time.

Except Bakersfield, that place is hell =D

Look at that disgusting suburban new York Olive Garden Culture

Last edited by Obadno; Jun 22, 2017 at 5:13 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest