HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 3:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

$20 million is well worth every single penny. The McMaster campus is ideal for the the Future Fund. But once that happens the fund is empty and no money towards the West Harbour.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 3:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Got my iPad up and looking at the report. Looks like an 8 storey building with grand stairs and lots of glass. It includes private development as well for two new residential 12 storey towers and retail facing King St.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 3:49 PM
It's Hammer Time

$10 million from future fund and designate $10 million on condition it's built.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 3:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

217,000 sq ft LEEDS would co-locate Department of Family Medicine, Maternity Centre of Hamilton, nurse practitioner educational programs, Shelter Network, as well as various other continuing health sciences education and research programs. Approx value of the campus development is $105 million and once operational it is expected to service approx 4000 students, 450 staff and 54000 patients per year.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Got my iPad up and looking at the report. Looks like an 8 storey building with grand stairs and lots of glass. It includes private development as well for two new residential 12 storey towers and retail facing King St.
So the land must include the current HWDSB Bldg and it's empty lot directly north of it? Good to hear.. kinda.

Residential as in norms? Or students? Would it be based on the old Education Square Model (forget which Architect that was? Thier+Curran?)

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 4:03 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 4:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's 8-10 storey depending if the City wish to also re-locate some city-run health clinics and departments as well (ex. STD clinic, dental clinic, etc) . Minimum is 8 storey.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 4:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
So the land must include the current HWDSB Bldg and it's empty lot directly north of it? Good to hear.. kinda.

Residential as in norms? Or students? Would it be based on the old Education Square Model (forget which Architect that was? Thier+Curran?)
I've included the site plan. Demo is suppose to start in January/Feburary. McMaster needs take over the School Board building on January 9th, 2012.

McMaster will be responsible for any private development facing along King St.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 6:52 PM

This is fantastic news. Reviving this project and including the private development of two residential towers on King is a huge positive for the core. I'm leery about 40,000 square feet of new retail space in an area with such high vacancy in retail (unless it is sole-proprietor tenancy like a grocery store or a cinema complex, I'd welcome either of those).

I'll still be saddened to see the Board of Education demolished, but if the end result is this kind of intensification redevelopment then I guess it is a net gain.

Kudos to Steeltown for bringing us the details of the redevelopment proposal to us here so quickly!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 6:59 PM

Council Backs $10m for Core Health Centre [Matthew Van Dongen, Spectator, July 4, 2011]

A city committee has approved half the requested $20 million for a McMaster medical centre downtown. Councillors want to negotiate over final amounts and costs associated with consolidating public health.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 7:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
I'll still be saddened to see the Board of Education demolished, but if the end result is this kind of intensification redevelopment then I guess it is a net gain.
Losing the School Board will be peanuts when compared to this proposal. Apparently relocating the school board to the west harbor was a serious proposal but that was ruled out.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Losing the School Board will be peanuts when compared to this proposal. Apparently relocating the school board to the west harbor was a serious proposal but that was ruled out.
While I agree the benefits this development will bring to the core far outweigh the loss of the school board downtown, I was referring more to the loss of an architecturally significant building. I would have been more pleased to see the building re-purposed as the medical centre than to see it demolished.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 9:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

McMaster Primary Health Care Campus | ? | 8-10 fl | Planning > McMaster Primary Health Care Campus | ? | 8-10 fl | Approved

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 11:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 12:07 AM

Article in McMaster Daily News:

http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/story.cfm?id=8111

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Thank GOD!

I am torn on this. The current HWDSB Bldg is a unique structure (architecturally, design-wise) and will be sorely missed by me and many more in Hamilton..
On the other hand, this is a great development made even better by the promise of developing a current useless parking lot!
40,000 sq.ft. seems huge. I'm thinking grocery store. So close to the Market? Hmm..

Idk if I'm missing it, but who's the lead Architect?

Last edited by DC1983; Jul 5, 2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added question

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 12:56 PM

I just don't see this building in this spot. It doesn't sit well next to the AGH and across from City Hall. Looks like something on a university campus or on University Avenue. Sure it's a great development, but how many other spots could they have chosen. The Board of Education Building was built to accommodate future expansion, but the board seems to be run by buffoons and there are no incentives to reuse buildings these days. And the Singer building is indeed a gem.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 1:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Idk if I'm missing it, but who's the lead Architect?
Norr Limited

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
I just don't see this building in this spot. It doesn't sit well next to the AGH and across from City Hall. Looks like something on a university campus or on University Avenue. Sure it's a great development, but how many other spots could they have chosen. The Board of Education Building was built to accommodate future expansion, but the board seems to be run by buffoons and there are no incentives to reuse buildings these days. And the Singer building is indeed a gem.
Not Buffoons, but Baby Boomers.. so close enough
The way they see things: Old Is Bad, New is Good (and therefor considered 'progress').
I'm sure they'll enjoy they're sprawling one-floor office box covered in stucco and pre-fab concrete 'stone' siding surrounded by more parking than they actually need. Baby Boomers HATE stairs (*cough* Acorn Stair Lifts).

Thanks, Steeltown! You've been following this project closer than any other project for years, so kudos to your patience And thanks for the Architect info.

Norr's portfolio: http://www.norr.com/portfolio.aspx

Last edited by DC1983; Jul 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM. Reason: added link

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 2:50 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Not Buffoons, but Baby Boomers.. so close enough
The way they see things: Old Is Bad, New is Good (and therefor considered 'progress').
I'm sure they'll enjoy they're sprawling one-floor office box covered in stucco and pre-fab concrete 'stone' siding surrounded by more parking than they actually need. Baby Boomers HATE stairs (*cough* Acorn Stair Lifts).

Thanks, Steeltown! You've been following this project closer than any other project for years, so kudos to your patience And thanks for the Architect info.
Their new HQ is an old school that they are repurposing, not a stucco or pefab concrete building. It was formerly Crestwood vocational high school.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton