HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 1:29 AM
Community Guy

Eskimos concerned about attendance, offering GA for $22-25 all in, but in the end zone stands and free for U17 through the Calgary Labour Day rematch.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/f...ing-attendance

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Eskimos concerned about attendance, offering GA for $22-25 all in, but in the end zone stands and free for U17 through the Calgary Labour Day rematch.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/f...ing-attendance
Smart. If the seats are going unsold, find a way to get some kids into them. As I've said before many times, without the old Bombers back to school ticket giveaway when I was a kid, I probably would never have been exposed to football, it turned me into a player and a fan.

I get that some existing STHs will have their feathers ruffled but I'm sure the EE can figure out a way to make them happy.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 4:33 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Smart. If the seats are going unsold, find a way to get some kids into them. As I've said before many times, without the old Bombers back to school ticket giveaway when I was a kid, I probably would never have been exposed to football, it turned me into a player and a fan.

I get that some existing STHs will have their feathers ruffled but I'm sure the EE can figure out a way to make them happy.
When you say something is worth nothing, it can be hard to get people to pay you for it later. This sort of thing has to be managed very carefully.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
When you say something is worth nothing, it can be hard to get people to pay you for it later. This sort of thing has to be managed very carefully.
While this is true (and I have seen it come up as an argument against this type of promotion before), the fact of the matter is that many CFL teams need to take this type of risk. They're simply not connecting with families and people without as much disposable income. Perhaps offering a block price for 4 tickets (for families) would be more effective, but I don't think the Eskimos have anything to lose here. Worst case, they're still in the same boat they're in now, but best case you have some kids pushing their parents to go.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
While this is true (and I have seen it come up as an argument against this type of promotion before), the fact of the matter is that many CFL teams need to take this type of risk. They're simply not connecting with families and people without as much disposable income. Perhaps offering a block price for 4 tickets (for families) would be more effective, but I don't think the Eskimos have anything to lose here. Worst case, they're still in the same boat they're in now, but best case you have some kids pushing their parents to go.
I'm sure the Bombers give away some tickets too but one of their better promos is the family 4 pack where you can get 4 tickets for certain games with hotdog/chips/pop for everyone and a parking pass for $97. It's a great deal, but I don't think very many people know about it.

https://www.bluebombers.com/tickets/pepsi-family/

There is really a huge price spread in Bomber tickets...you can pay nearly $200 a pop to sit at centre field, or you can spend under $25 and get a ticket in the upper deck with snacks. I don't think the lower-cost options are that well known.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 7:29 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Worst case is parents will tell kids in future that they’re going to wait until they have one of those free ticket promos again.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Worst case is parents will tell kids in future that they’re going to wait until they have one of those free ticket promos again.
But let's be real, the only way to get people like that in the stadium is to give them free tickets. They aren't going to turn into legitimate fans, ever.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
But let's be real, the only way to get people like that in the stadium is to give them free tickets. They aren't going to turn into legitimate fans, ever.
One or Two parents or caregivers pay a regular price and pre teens get in free (up to four) and teens are 1/2 price. That may allow lower income folks to attend a few games and make fans of the kids.

Lets face it though, the CFL is the red headed step child of Canadian Professional sports especially in Toronto and I have zero idea (since I'm from the demographic that urban professionals like to sneer at. ) how to change that.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Not each and every one, but some will turn into fans. Why do you think every streaming service offers the first month free?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 4:28 PM

Paging MonctonRad, one of your boys, Mike Miller from Riverview, tied a CFL record with 7 special teams tackles vs. Ottawa and was just named one of this week's CFL top performers. Not bad.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 5:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

All three of my sons played high school football (Go BMHS!!!), I'm pretty sure one of my sons played against him in high school varsity.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Paging MonctonRad, one of your boys, Mike Miller from Riverview, tied a CFL record with 7 special teams tackles vs. Ottawa and was just named one of this week's CFL top performers. Not bad.

I agree. These guys don't get enough credit.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 2:06 PM

Lions with their porous offensive line got pounded last night by the Eskimos. There is some real trouble in BC, but news reports suggested that there is some serious ratio, and in particular, roster rejigging in store imminently.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 2:22 PM

There better be, last night's performance was absolutely terrible on both sides of the ball for the Lions.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

All three of my sons played high school football (Go BMHS!!!), I'm pretty sure one of my sons played against him in high school varsity.

Thats awesome. My 3 sons did as well. Then went on to the wild Cats. Such great memories watching the boys play.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 2:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Thats awesome. My 3 sons did as well. Then went on to the wild Cats. Such great memories watching the boys play.
One of my sons played for Team NB in the Football Canada Cup in London ON. He then played for a while with the Red Bombers at UNB, until he got a concussion. He then (probably wisely) decided his engineering studies were more important than football.

One of my other sons was big into hockey and for a while played with Rothesay Netherwood on their elite hockey team. To be honest though, I had more fun watching the boys play football than hockey.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
One of my sons played for Team NB in the Football Canada Cup in London ON. He then played for a while with the Red Bombers at UNB, until he got a concussion. He then (probably wisely) decided his engineering studies were more important than football.

One of my other sons was big into hockey and for a while played with Rothesay Netherwood on their elite hockey team. To be honest though, I had more fun watching the boys play football than hockey.
Wow high level stuff for your boys.

Concussions and broken clavicles ended my boys football.

They realized also their health is more important than chasing the gridiron dream.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:13 PM

^ My kids are too young for it now, but I have to admit as much as I love football I would be very, very reluctant to let them play tackle football for that reason. I never played at a high level but I played enough to know how physical the game can be and the kind of toll it can take on a young body.

I know a guy who is basically the worst case scenario come to life and I have to admit it put the fear of god into me more than just the theoretical knowledge that football and concussions/CTE are linked.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
^ My kids are too young for it now, but I have to admit as much as I love football I would be very, very reluctant to let them play tackle football for that reason. I never played at a high level but I played enough to know how physical the game can be and the kind of toll it can take on a young body.

I know a guy who is basically the worst case scenario come to life and I have to admit it put the fear of god into me more than just the theoretical knowledge that football and concussions/CTE are linked.
My son who got the concussion had headaches and a lot of difficulty concentrating for about 5-6 weeks (bad stuff for a math intensive degree like engineering), but he got a couple of his exams deferred, and he was fine after his symptoms went away. He's starting his MSc in mechanical engineering this fall.

I understand where you're coming from though. You just never know what may happen. I let the boys decide for themselves what they wanted to do. I didn't push them, and I didn't discourage them. My son's decision to quit football was his own.........

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:

A lot of parents think as you do now. My One of my sisters lives in Miami and only allows her son to play flag football. The kids down there are very big and hes a smaller boy of 14. She wont take the chance either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada