HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 5:13 PM
we built this city

Wow, I think its a great scale in terms of the Atlantica next door and would really help the Quinpool/Robie proposal "step down.

Is there any city documentation on this development or just renders from the developer?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 1:51 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 3:19 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
This image was posted in the Chronicle Herald story:

Here is a link to the Design Review Committee report - http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/...0414DRC811.pdf

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 2:17 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Here is a link to the Design Review Committee report - http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/...0414DRC811.pdf
It is curious that the DRC report says 11 storeys plus penthouse, but when I walked past the site this morning I looked closely at the public notice that is posted at the site and it says 16 stories plus penthouse. I wonder if they have already dropped it, although I am surprised that the public posting wouldn't have to change as well.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 4:02 PM

All together now: "It's TOO TALL!!!"

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 9:27 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
It is curious that the DRC report says 11 storeys plus penthouse, but when I walked past the site this morning I looked closely at the public notice that is posted at the site and it says 16 stories plus penthouse. I wonder if they have already dropped it, although I am surprised that the public posting wouldn't have to change as well.

There is a thread for the 11 storey one pictured above and it seems to have been the same height since June 2015 - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=217390&page=2.

There is the adjacent Fares proposal on Brenton Street, which is 16 storeys plus a penthouse. There is a thread for Brenton Place at this link - http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219075.

The Spring Garden Road area seems to be in the process of some significant changes.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 12:14 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
There is a thread for the 11 storey one pictured above and it seems to have been the same height since June 2015 - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=217390&page=2.

There is the adjacent Fares proposal on Brenton Street, which is 16 storeys plus a penthouse. There is a thread for Brenton Place at this link - http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219075.

The Spring Garden Road area seems to be in the process of some significant changes.
AH ok, sorry. Totally mixed those two together and forgot that there was another development proposed close by. Sorry for the confusion!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 11:35 PM

Take note that in this rendering http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=1#post7407429 they don't show the windows on the east side of The Trillium. Just a grey block.
Some condo owners looking at neighbours 35 feet away.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Somebody posted pictures of demolition notices on 2 heritage buildings on Barrington Street: https://twitter.com/spcushing/status/657229561160187904

That is severely messed up. The building in the middle also would have been a heritage building had it not been for the hideous renovation. The wooden building is from circa 1816.
Any updates on this? It sure would be a shame to lose these, or even have them altered for that matter (except for the one that was renovated with the rectangular brick frontage - that one should be returned to a more period-correct configuration). I can't really understand how anybody could even consider demolishing such interesting structures like these.

Found some info on these buildings from HRM's downloadable PDF: Heritage Inventory Sheet – South Barrington HCD

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...epIQdg&cad=rja

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 1:14 AM
Halifax Promoter!

going in tomorrow's paper http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...siness_insider

says now approved

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:46 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Huh, interesting. The massing is similar, but the actual design is leagues better than the Wellington project, IMO.
ANS reported tonight that the Dino Capital project was sold to Urban Capital; I think this one is the Wellington Street project.

They also reported that plans for Queen's Marque will be made public on May 9. Here's a conceptual rendering showing potential massing:

MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple are working on this project and they seem to want to create something architecturally distinctive. I think the site itself might be the nicest development site in the city; it's right below the main part of downtown along the water and it would tie together a contiguous block of development from Summit Place up to Purdy's Wharf.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
ANS reported tonight that the Dino Capital project was sold to Urban Capital; I think this one is the Wellington Street project.
Its interesting, I find a lot of things we discuss here make it into that evenings ANS if its something new that other news sources haven't picked up already.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 3:52 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:

They also reported that plans for Queen's Marque will be made public on May 9. Here's a conceptual rendering showing potential massing:

MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple are working on this project and they seem to want to create something architecturally distinctive. I think the site itself might be the nicest development site in the city; it's right below the main part of downtown along the water and it would tie together a contiguous block of development from Summit Place up to Purdy's Wharf.
It will indeed be interesting to see what ends up proposed here. As The-News-Outlet-Who-Shall-Not-be-Named described, it is rather curious that all the posts on their Facebook page etc have to do with the arts (ballet, etc). They speculate whether that is a teaser for what might be part of this development... new arts centre etc?

As well, I am very very interested to see what MacKay-Lyons proposes. I remember way back, maybe when it was the library being designed, that he publicly mused about how much he wished he had an opportunity like this with a high profile public project to do something that reflected NS.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:18 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Its interesting, I find a lot of things we discuss here make it into that evenings ANS if its something new that other news sources haven't picked up already.
Maybe we should be threatening them for not crediting SSP Halifax?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:20 PM

Mackay Lyons is one of the really great firms in the region that has usually dont private homes and small-scale projects out of the city. It's too bad that the province's best designers and architects so often work on small and less publicly visible projects. It's really promising to think of MLS working on this job.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I remember way back, maybe when it was the library being designed, that he publicly mused about how much he wished he had an opportunity like this with a high profile public project to do something that reflected NS.
Yes, one of the great things about MLS is that their style reflects architecture from the region. Generally speaking the larger projects in town that bring in international architects look very generic to me. I like the library for example but there isn't much about the overall design that couldn't have been built in any number of other cities. Unfortunately it seems there's a bit of a bias toward thinking that the big projects need big architectural firms from outside the city, and that those are better than what's available locally.

I wish there were a bit more appreciation of local architecture in the run of the mill infill projects around the core. This doesn't cheap knockoffs but rather adapting features of older buildings (materials, scaling, colours, ornamentation) to new designs.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Mackay Lyons is one of the really great firms in the region that has usually dont private homes and small-scale projects out of the city. It's too bad that the province's best designers and architects so often work on small and less publicly visible projects. It's really promising to think of MLS working on this job.
Quote:
Yes, one of the great things about MLS is that their style reflects architecture from the region. Generally speaking the larger projects in town that bring in international architects look very generic to me. I like the library for example but there isn't much about the overall design that couldn't have been built in any number of other cities. Unfortunately it seems there's a bit of a bias toward thinking that the big projects need big architectural firms from outside the city, and that those are better than what's available locally.

I wish there were a bit more appreciation of local architecture in the run of the mill infill projects around the core. This doesn't cheap knockoffs but rather adapting features of older buildings (materials, scaling, colours, ornamentation) to new designs.
MacKay Lyons is a bit of a genius. This is his chance to do something great!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Maybe we should be threatening them for not crediting SSP Halifax?
I know several reporters who follow this forum, and I have been asked questions, asked for more details.
There are few numerate 'journalists' in HRM; the word 'numerate' meaning understanding financial statements and financial issues.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 1:42 AM

Quote:

Looks like the opposite of what the Vancouver consultant recommended at the Dexel event on Monday.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 2:38 AM

What do the different colours in the image represent?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth