HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 4:33 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Loving the battles at the top, middle & bottom of the west standings this year.
Love this time of year.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 4:34 AM
BANNED

Who is elly63? Some Ticat fangirl in Waterloo?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'll agree with you there, Stanback and Matthews are both out and the weather is tailor made for the type of game the Bombers play. The stars have aligned so the Bombers should have a good shot at winning.

But yeah, the weather is to the point where you wonder if the game will even go on. Have the Alouettes even landed in Winnipeg? I heard there were a bunch of flight cancellations/diversions.
They arrived Friday afternoon:

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...snowy-Winnipeg

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Way
To
Go
STAMPS!!!
Yep, Stamps win, Riders lose AGAIN!

Cold breezy night at McMahon. Rider fans out in force, dressed up like it was Halloween and ready to rumble but that early kick-off fumble TD took some of the starch out of them.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:49 PM

Well looks like the Alouettes ownership group will be a combo of the Lenkov bros and the Boivin group. That eases my fears of he Lenkov bros owning them on their own.

https://3downnation.com/2019/10/11/l...en-to-10-days/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:56 PM

Wow, the Als went from a doomsday scenario on and off the field to a pretty ideal one on both fronts. Funny that one forumer seems a lot less interested in them since their fortunes changed

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:59 PM

Now just need Braley to sell the lions to local Vancouver owners and Pinball and Murphy rebuild the argos. I am cautiously optimistic about the long term growth potential of the leos, als and argos as Ambrosie is now slowly getting the league sorted out from the failure that was Jeffrey Orridge as commish.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The Bombers have been contenders under O'Shea, year after year. Winning football playoff games is mostly random luck, especially in the West where all the teams that make the playoffs tend to be very strong.
Yes, apparently some folks here have a problem with stability.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Who is elly63? Some Ticat fangirl in Waterloo?
Why don't you respond to a post that can be discussed instead of a pussified comment. And WTF are you, oh sorry, I don't care.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Well looks like the Alouettes ownership group will be a combo of the Lenkov bros and the Boivin group. That eases my fears of he Lenkov bros owning them on their own.
I think the Lenkov brothers have more money than people think, but nonetheless, aside from two groups finding common ground, being on the same page, and getting along, this is fantastic news, if it is news.

The league is no longer a mom and pop organization, most of the privately owned teams have some serious financial backing which is desperately needed these days. I think this has been Ambrosie's schtick all along, he wanted security above and beyond the Lenkovs.

So what do we have, Hollywood cachet and old school money, not a bad combination.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 7:20 PM

Als look to have a bright future now.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 11:04 PM

Good Bomber win wasn't pretty just meat and potatoes football but it worked run the ball and strong d! I am scared playing Calgary back to back though that will be a dog fight!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Good Bomber win wasn't pretty just meat and potatoes football but it worked run the ball and strong d! I am scared playing Calgary back to back though that will be a dog fight!
You can do it!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Good Bomber win wasn't pretty just meat and potatoes football but it worked run the ball and strong d!
Fire the coach!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 11:29 PM

O'Shea is ok I don't mind him I know other Bomber fans can' stand him but I think that's more just frustration from the 29 year Grey Cup drought.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
O'Shea is ok I don't mind him I know other Bomber fans can' stand him but I think that's more just frustration from the 29 year Grey Cup drought.
I agree, and to the dink who called me a Ticat fangirl in Waterloo, they might want to know I am a fan of the f'n Canadian mafia because that is important for the league.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
So what do we have, Hollywood cachet and old school money, not a bad combination.
They may have more in common than I thought. Some Claridge investments below

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 12:19 AM

I'm happy to hear the Lenkovs appear to be buying the Als in the next 7 days. Hopefully, there are not some major financial conditions attached to the sale, like the rest of the CFL teams paying off the team's accumulated deficit under Wettenhall or subsidizing Als' losses the next season and beyond.

Once the roof is replaced at the Olympic Stadium in 2023, I would think the Als will be given a Grey Cup almost immediately. Two games within say 5 years would be ideal as the team will have not hosted in 15 years once 2023 rolls around.

The Bombers dominated the Als today. Defense looked good and Harris was his usual dominating self. I am concerned about Streveler as he has displayed no progress. His decision-making was poor and his passing yardage was mediocre vs. one of the weakest pass defenses in the league. He will be in tough vs. an actual good team in Calgary next week. That will be a true test of the defensive secondary as well.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
You're probably right. 10K would be an accurate over-under line. The fact that the Bombers have seemingly run out of gas down the stretch won't help either.

I gave away my own tickets because my family scheduled Thanksgiving dinner for Saturday... but then they moved it to Sunday because of the weather. I guess I could buy another pair but that would be tough to swallow considering all of the above factors... I might just stay home and watch on TV.
Tickets sold/distributed were 20,000. Lowest crowd in Ig Field's history. Actual crowd was approximately 10,000 by the looks of things...maybe even smaller.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Tickets sold/distributed were 20,000. Lowest crowd in Ig Field's history. Actual crowd was approximately 10,000 by the looks of things...maybe even smaller.
The out of town crowd probably took a hit due to the snowstorm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada