HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 3:42 PM
The Drifter

Cache Valley:Official development news thread

Mayor Q&A:Watts offers sometimes blunt views on variety of current Logan issues

Mayor Randy Watts (Meegan M. Reid/Herald Journal)
By Adam Benson

staff writer

Almost two years into his first term as Logan mayor, Randy Watts is still learning on the job. For everything he’s been able to accomplish — and there’s been plenty — the head of Cache Valley’s largest city constantly has an eye on things yet to be done.

Watts recently sat down with The Herald Journal for what appeared to be a candid interview on several controversial moves that have taken place under his watch and to reflect on his tenure as the top administrator for Cache County’s seat.

By the way, he also said “it’s too early to tell” whether another four-year term is in his future.

Q: Your decision for the city to not allow parking in the city’s park strips starting next year was a controversial move that didn’t go over well with some people. Can you explain your reasoning behind implementing that program and the response you’ve gotten thus far?

A: I’m getting both sides. I get more than a few phone calls at my home and here. I would say it’s still about three to one for people saying “we appreciate you doing something to finally reclaim our neighborhoods.”

There are good renters but percentage wise, because of things getting tighter in the rental markets, they’re bleeding them. They’re not putting any money into them. If somebody lives in a home, there’s more than a little bit of pride. There’s always those scenarios where even if you own a home, there’s not good housekeepers, but because I lived in inner Logan, I’ve seen blight.

What we have right here are decaying neighborhoods, and when is it the right time to step in? Everybody benefits in the long run, it’s just who will fight the fight? I’m willing to fight the fight.

Q: Talk about the way Summerfest played out. It was a high-profile tug-of-war between the Downtown Alliance and the Summerfest Arts Faire Committee. You’ve been largely silent on the issue. How do you think Summerfest went, and do you think it’s in the proper hands now?

A: Either put up or shut up. The Downtown Alliance lost control, because they let it happen. If they really felt in the future they wanted to keep control, they should have done it within the Alliance itself and not have somebody outsourced to run it.

Q: Can you give people an update on the City Hall shuffle, as it’s been called? Where are things at?

A: We’ve gone through the design phase with the (Logan City) Police Department on how the first and second floors will be laid out and how we bring 911 into the second floor.

We will be moving the 911 center out of the old Justice Building and moving it into the new 25,000-square-foot (complex). Looking at the mechanical part of this, about 2,000 square feet will be eaten up in basement, which is not really living space and a lot cheaper.

We’re still working real hard to stay somewhat close to where the budget is, and it’s looking good.

Q: You’ve gotten some criticism on this project with people saying you’re doing this for your own personal desires.

A: I’m not doing it for me. I’d stay here. The views over there are nowhere near what I sit in right now. It’s because in order to be more productive and better available for those people that need us, we need to give them a building that they can spread out in a little bit.

Q: I wanted you to address another issue that’s been fairly controversial and very much in the news lately: The proposed sales tax initiative that the Cache Valley Transit District is asking for. Do you support that?

A: I support it in the fact that “my gosh, look at the people around us that have said what is it that we’re attaching to in this valley that makes some sense for air quality?”

Q: Do you support it over the road initiative that the county is pushing?

A: Yes. We really need both, but who came first in this scenario? The County Council now represents all of us in some way. My philosophy is, why are we as leaders getting into some areas that now we’re talking about putting on the ballot? Are we making decisions for citizens that we shouldn’t be making?

We should go ahead and if it’s got some energy, put it in front of the voters and let them make the decision. Why are we making that decision?

Q: Why do you think this has become so politicized?

A: Because I don’t think both will fly. We understand that we need to buy rights-of-way and intersection corridors, and I know that’s on the docket. Even though we show that right now it could do better, do we bail out?

The citizens of Logan have a huge investment in the LTD, but we as a council felt to strengthen Cache Valley Transit, we divested ourselves and put it under one roof. Now, we’re getting sideways after showing we’re proactive to the entire valley in moving that direction. We’ve got the county balking on the LTD. Who is the LTD for, anyway? It’s for everybody.

Q: Do you ride the bus?

A: I don’t. The business of my life, my routes wouldn’t work. If they vote this down, they’ll say ‘we as governing officials think that it’s a waste of money.’ That’s what they’re basically saying.

Q: You’ve been mayor for almost two years now. What’s been the biggest surprise for you as mayor of Logan?

A: The time it takes. I knew that it was a big job, but I had no idea how many hits on my calendar. I have to tell a lot of people no. I have to find some time for me, and I enjoy my time away from it because I need that. Speaking here or going to this or ribbon cuttings and everything, it’s a big job.

Q: How has your family dealt with you being in the spotlight?

A: I think well. The timing was right for me to do this, because my kids have moved on and are dealing with their own families and their own careers. My wife is very busy with the Tabernacle Choir, but we meet each other on common ground.

I do not bring work home to her. I don’t bring frustrations. I come home and clear my mind. I told her I was going to run and she said “I’ll support you, but it’s your decision and not mine.” I am not going to be 100 percent popular, and I’m really working hard to represent the citizens of Logan and do what they elected me to do.

Q: What’s been the hardest part of the job for you?

A: Having things out there that I know need to be done but can’t get to them either because of manpower or financial inability to make it happen. The plate’s always bigger than what we can take of. The other thing that’s frustrating is the time it takes to go through the processes.

Q: What are the strengths and weaknesses of the Municipal Council?

A: The beauty of government is “agree to disagree.” We have been sideways a little more than a little. The strengths are that we have a young council and they’re all busy.

Q: You can’t say the strengths without saying the weaknesses.

A: I would wish that they would come through this office more and help me be the administrator that I am and help me get the answers.

Q: Some people have accused while in office of catering to the friends you made in your job in the private sector and that you’ve been development-friendly to the detriment of other sorts of projects.

A: Some can take that view but the thing is I’ve told everybody I have an open door policy. Everybody and anybody has a right to call me. Maybe some feel a little intimidated in calling this office, but there are enough people in the business world that don’t intimidate easily.

They’ll call, and their requests are legitimate. I’m not a job-crasher, but there’s a way to work together to get an end result and get an area that’s been unproductive and get it back to a productive state. I think I’ve been fair across the board. Some people feel that just because I’m going after the park strips, I’m going after the lower-income types of people. This park strip, when you start looking everywhere, is affecting all segments.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West