HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
"Once you're on the sixth floor, you might as well be in New Delhi" might be the most Ottawa comment I have ever heard in relation to a proposed high rise development.
I dunno; that thing that got compared to 9/11, or the endless "Bulldog" Bullsh— about the imagined "wind tunnel" of Richmond Road are pretty Ottawa too.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Proposed high-rise for Montreal Road has some residents fearing gentrification

By Jennifer McIntosh, Ottawa East News
Nov 11, 2016

“It has to be right,” he said, adding you lose the sense of community in a high rise. “Once you’re on the sixth floor, you might as well be in New Delhi,” he said.

Other residents expressed concern about the capacity of the bus route 12 which is the nearest to the development.

Drouin, who wants to open up shop in Vanier, said there needs to be a vision for the east end neighbourhood. He said developments like the one proposed would gentrify Vanier and turn it into another Hintonburg or Mechanicsville.

“I could show you pawn shops and crack houses,” steps from that building,” he said.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...entrification/
My sarcastic comments are based on the ridiculous points I picked out above.

1. So I'm hearing that a high-rise will be bad because of all the people coming to the neighborhood causing traffic issues, but additional community will also will take away from the community because the current super-dirty hotel and back-alley behind the gas station is more of a community builder than being holed-up in a condo? I believe permanent residents going back-and-forth from their condos will be MUCH better than johns going back and forth from their hotel rooms and the associated back-alley with bushes behind the hotel.

2. Uhunaiu should be proud of this one.

3. Let me see if I can break this down. Drouin wants to open a shop on Montreal Road, steps from the development. But he is...against? gentrification of the neighbourhood? “I could show you pawn shops and crack houses, steps from that building,” he said. Does this mean he is...for?...crack houses and pawn shops? Is this the type of shop he's trying to open???

I know from experience that Montreal Road has a pretty awesome vibe which is unique to the city, and I can understand how residents would like to protect that. When I think awesome vibe, I'm thinking the Montreal smoked meat deli counter, the bingo hall, the strange 220 Volt Depot, the Wabano Centre, and the Vanier Grill, rather than the crack pipes and pawn shops that this guy is talking about. Any 'gentrification' will be good for these community pillars and encourage more like it.

Overall I also disagree with concerns around additional traffic. It's unfortunate that car traffic coming out of this mini-community will be turning all over the place, mostly turning right and doing u-turns. Thinking about routing around the intersection, driveways, and side streets will be an exercise, but just takes a little effort. A five-lane road meeting a six-lane road is really not an issue for 550 more residents. If we're concerned about traffic, we need to talk about every licence plate on the Vanier Parkway is from Quebec. In addition, the bus routes in the area need to be strengthened, but we all knew that.

Build it!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 11:05 PM

There is a strong lobby for institutionalized poverty in Vanier. They don't want any development that would threaten their cheap rents and easy access to....everything. They don't want change, they are against change because it is threatening to them. If you were them, you would likely feel the same way. Poverty is big business here so the resistance is palpable.

The social agencies here in Vanier are geared to ensuring that this neighbourhood remains as it is and, from all appearance, has the backing of local gov't. Tear down the welfare hotels and build sustainable housing? No way! The city needs those for emergency shelters.

Walk through any neighbourhood in the west end and then walk along Montreal Rd between the Vanier Parkway and Lafontaine. The contrast is stark. The sidewalks are a mess, trash is everywhere and the empty businesses outnumber the active ones. The business that are here are money lenders, head shops, welfare hotels, a liquor store and a pharmacy. Crack whores are at every corner and their drug dealers are always nearby.

Montreal Rd is geared to cars, not the community so walking is treacherous. Try crossing the street and you will wait up to 5 minutes to cross unless a car triggers the lights to change (Lacasse at Montreal Road for example). Heaven forbid that those vehicles speeding along at 80 kph from Orleans can't be slowed down! This area is not pedestrian friendly as most streets in the area don't have sidewalks or have sidewalks on only one side of the road. I've walked through suburbs with better infrastructure for a fraction of the number of pedestrians.

What is the BIA doing? Let's put in more flower boxes! Yeah, let's put lipstick on that pig. Business in Vanier? According to the BIA, Vanier is always on the cusp of a renaissance, don'tcha know. Big things are coming, they repeatedly chant. The biggest business to establish itself on Montreal Rd in the last 10 years has been a bakery. That is what the BIA calls a breakthrough.

Our councillor is disinterested in the community. He spends his time in front of the media and looking forward to his next political gig (watch him run federally at the next by-election).

Vanier needs these new developments. Sure, this one is a bit much but those people will want services such as restaurants and other amenities, things that the poor can't support. This in turn will spur additional developments.

I welcome gentrification for this area. I have lived here for a decade and am just exasperated by the lack of development in this area and the resistance to it. There will always be pockets of poverty in Vanier (they need housing too) but it need not be a ghetto. We can have a mixed community that is healthy rather than the sorry economy we have here today.

Vanier is a unique place in this city. The attitude is live and let live and I love that my neighbours are "chill". But that also has pitfalls. Despite my criticism, I really enjoy living here for a number of reasons, likely the same reasons as those on social programs. But the area needs to change for it's own good. Otherwise, it will spiral into the abyss.

End of rant.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMEng View Post
1. So I'm hearing that a high-rise will be bad because of all the people coming to the neighborhood causing traffic issues,
Remember the cardinal rule of traffic NIMBYism: Traffic is the result of other people's driving.

Quote:
In addition, the bus routes in the area need to be strengthened, but we all knew that.
Councillor Useless is busy strengthening bus service in his ward by removing bus stops, tearing down bus shelters, eliminating runs, ignoring complaints, destroying transfer points, and ensuring that the buses are as crowded as humanly possibly at all hours of the day and all days of the week. Strengthened! Optimized! Yay!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanier View Post
Montreal Rd is geared to cars, not the community so walking is treacherous. Try crossing the street and you will wait up to 5 minutes to cross unless a car triggers the lights to change (Lacasse at Montreal Road for example).
Yip. And, contrary to all the pretty, meaningless words in the official plan, nothing changes. And the idiotic "beg button" signals get installed at every newly-redesigned intersection in the core, replacing older signals that gave pedestrians an automatic right to cross when traffic got a green.

And, to top it off, Councillor Useless keeps gleefully closing off intersections of cross-street on Montreal Road, which only encourages faster speeds on Montreal Road.

The Montreal Road corridor could be the next major urban main street, and Ottawa NEEDS more mainstreetism in place of maindragism. But small minds like Councillor Useless keep setting back progress by giving into NIMBYism, outdated planning concepts, and failing to provide for pedestrians, transit users, and anyone else who isn't a single-occupant private vehicle driver.

The city, and councillors Useless and Nussbaum, are failing the east end in a big way. It's classism, NIMBYism, auto-centric 1960s thinking, and pandering to the suburbs all round.

Quote:
This area is not pedestrian friendly as most streets in the area don't have sidewalks or have sidewalks on only one side of the road. I've walked through suburbs with better infrastructure for a fraction of the number of pedestrians.
Montreal Road itself is OK in the sidewalk department, but the absence of sidewalks on many of the side streets (mostly a legacy of Eastview/Vanier's former independence) is noticeable. Sixteen years after amalgamation, there's been little or no change, except for a few existing sidewalks being replaced at the natural replacement point in their life-cycle.

Quote:
What is the BIA doing? Let's put in more flower boxes! Yeah, let's put lipstick on that pig.
As near as I can tell, all they do is amplify Councillor Useless's agenda and social media presence.

Quote:
Our councillor is disinterested in the community. He spends his time in front of the media and looking forward to his next political gig (watch him run federally at the next by-election).
He has to win the nomination first. Federal Liberals I know in the riding hate his guts, so there's that.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 12:57 AM

He is a francophone, with "political experience" and who oozes smarm. The guy is, unfortunately, a likely lock for the nomination. The little old ladies who nominate the local candidates love him.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Yip. And, contrary to all the pretty, meaningless words in the official plan, nothing changes. And the idiotic "beg button" signals get installed at every newly-redesigned intersection in the core, replacing older signals that gave pedestrians an automatic right to cross when traffic got a green.

And, to top it off, Councillor Useless keeps gleefully closing off intersections of cross-street on Montreal Road, which only encourages faster speeds on Montreal Road.

The Montreal Road corridor could be the next major urban main street, and Ottawa NEEDS more mainstreetism in place of maindragism. But small minds like Councillor Useless keep setting back progress by giving into NIMBYism, outdated planning concepts, and failing to provide for pedestrians, transit users, and anyone else who isn't a single-occupant private vehicle driver.

The city, and councillors Useless and Nussbaum, are failing the east end in a big way. It's classism, NIMBYism, auto-centric 1960s thinking, and pandering to the suburbs all round.

Montreal Road itself is OK in the sidewalk department, but the absence of sidewalks on many of the side streets (mostly a legacy of Eastview/Vanier's former independence) is noticeable. Sixteen years after amalgamation, there's been little or no change, except for a few existing sidewalks being replaced at the natural replacement point in their life-cycle.

As near as I can tell, all they do is amplify Councillor Useless's agenda and social media presence.

He has to win the nomination first. Federal Liberals I know in the riding hate his guts, so there's that.
When I heard about Candidate Zee NoneoftheAbove on the radio this morning, I thought of you and smiled

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 2:33 AM

Just cramming as much as possible on the site. With a space this big to work with (and honestly, add the Esso, please), they could do something way better that integrates into the community, like a hybrid of what they're doing on Main and Lansdowne. Or... wait for it... towers of varying heights!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Status Update

February 13, 2017: OMB Appeal Withdrawn - Application Approved

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9EWGEU

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 5:06 AM

The motel is now closed. Is it still going ahead ?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
The motel is now closed. Is it still going ahead ?
Closed as a motel, but still be used as an emergency shelter, no?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Closed as a motel, but still be used as an emergency shelter, no?
The Sally Ann? Different motel.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
The Sally Ann? Different motel.
I understood that the motel has been used by the City for some time now as a family shelter. Wasn`t there a piece in the Citizen a while back about them paying $3,000 per month per room in the motel? Perhaps I misunderstood which motel was being used.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Apr 30, 2019 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 12:18 AM
You call that a knife?

Motel is gone!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 5:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Review Status: Application Approved
Status Date: November 26, 2019

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Review Status: Application Approved
Status Date: November 26, 2019
Er...wait a minute..completely different concept now being proposed and different ownership of the property.

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__BRLEIG

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 10:01 PM

No idea whether it will be built, but this seems like an upgrade. Condo rather than rental, I wonder? It’s pretty hefty in terms of parking, but given the transit shortcomings of the area ...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 4:04 PM

Interesting proposal. Would be a great spot for a subway station. Just saying.

Is it just me, or does it vaguely resemble the Watergate Complex?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 4:31 PM

This is what I get for not paying attention.

:-(

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 10:12 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

112 Montreal Rd & 314 Gardner St | 49m, 2x57m | 16f, 2x19f | Proposed

A mixed use development is proposed at 112 Montreal Road And 314 Gardner Street by 2705460 Ontario Inc. (Manor Park Management), which will be primarily rental residential apartments with a small retail-commercial component at grade to animate the central courtyard. There will be approximately 591 residential dwelling units and 204 square metres of non-residential space for lease.

The site layout will be based on a three tower design with an 8 storey podium linking Towers A and B along the Vanier Parkway edge with Tower C being a free standing element on the westerly edge of the subject property. Towers A and B will be 19 storeys and Tower C will be 16 storeys. These buildings will be grouped around a central courtyard which extends out to Montreal Road with pedestrian and cycling access. As well, new pedestrian and cycling accesses will be provided from the Vanier Parkway edge directly to the central courtyard. A new roadway will provide vehicular access to the site from the Vanier Parkway and a link to Palace Street through the southern end of the subject property.

All of the building elements will sit on a three storey underground garage containing 787 vehicular spaces. There will be no surface parking as all resident and visitor parking will be accommodated below grade with a portion of these spaces being made available to off-site users for short and long term parking to serve local businesses. Residents will have locker and longer term bicycle storage for 298 bicycles provided in the underground garage to complement the shorter term bicycle spaces to be provided near building entrances at grade.

Architect: Woodman Architect

Development application:
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__BRLEIG

Site:

Renderings:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa