HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 9:34 PM

[Bedford] Dockside | ? m | 5 & 6 fl | Completed

I don't know if this has been discussed here before; feel free to move it if so. Anyway, this appeared on the govt website today:

---

Agreement Signed for Bedford Waterfront Development
Waterfront Development Corporation
March 11, 2008 11:39 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfront Development Corporation Limited (WDCL) and Provident Developments Inc. have signed an agreement for a new, mixed-use development on the Bedford Waterfront.

The project includes building two commercial-residential buildings surrounded by public spaces, including a boardwalk extension, plazas and landscaping.

"This agreement will ensure high-quality public space for residents and their guests to enjoy," said Bill Campbell, vice-president of the Waterfront Development Corporation. "There will be an active and dynamic use of this property through its residential and commercial use, as well as an economic benefit to the province."

The agreement transfers ownership of the land, located next to Provident's office building on the Bedford Waterfront, from the corporation to Provident.

The Provident-built five- and six-storey buildings will have 78 condo units and 20,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space.

Condo pre-sales will begin this month.

"As residents of Bedford, we are pleased that this agreement is signed, and we can move forward with development," said John Greenough, president, Provident Development Inc. "These buildings will enhance the vibrancy of the Bedford waterfront through increased commercial activity, and use of the public space around the property."

WDCL has been working on projects on the Bedford waterfront since 1999. These projects include construction of the South Jetty and public boat ramp, and a 600-metre extension of a public walkway from Convoy Quay around to Mill Cove.

WDCL champions the provincially owned land along the Halifax Harbour and the Lunenburg waterfront to ensure best and mixed-use of the land.

The proposed Bedford waterfront design ensures public access to the site is preserved and the design will integrate with current and future uses.

For nearly 20 years, Provident Development has pursued excellence in real estate development. With roots in historic restorations, Provident has established a tradition of excellence in projects ranging from single-family homes to luxury waterfront condominiums, to prime Class A commercial space and entire planned communities.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 11:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Nice to hear, although this has been going on forever. I believe at one point Provident took some kind of legal action against the WDC?

It's unfortunate that things haven't proceeded more quickly because there's plenty of demand for new construction in Bedford.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:24 AM

It's hard to even imagine what these buildings would look like after only seeing a very ugly infilling project for years now. Hopefully the condos will sell fast anything would look better then whats there now.

Does anyone know if this is for the north jetty area around the current building or for some of the south jetty area?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:30 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think the original proposal was to build a few new buildings next to the existing green and red office building. They looked similar in the rendering I saw, but maybe that has changed.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:36 AM

Sorry 'bout the horrible pic but somewhere's to the left of the building i'm assuming? If i remember correctly that's currently a gravel parking lot for the wharves there.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:40 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yep, somewhere around there.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 3:09 PM

Condos planned for Bedford waterfront
Development to include two buildings, 78 units, 20,000 square feet of commercial space
By OUR STAFF
Thu. Mar 20 - 11:58 AM

A new mixed use condo and commercial project will soon go to market on the Bedford waterfront.

The Waterfront Development Corporation Ltd. (WDCL) and Provident Developments Inc. of Bedford, said recently that they have signed an agreement for the project.

The project includes building two commercial-residential buildings surrounded by public spaces, including a boardwalk extension, plazas and landscaping.

Provident plans to pre-sell condos before construction begins. The 78 units will range in price from $300,000 to $700,000 and range in size from 1,400 square feet to 2,100 square feet.

The pre-sale was expected to begin this week.

The Provident-built five- and six-storey buildings will also include 20,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space.

"This agreement will ensure high-quality public space for residents and their guests to enjoy," Bill Campbell, vice-president of the Waterfront Development Corporation Ltd., said in a release.

"There will be an active and dynamic use of this property through its residential and commercial use, as well as an economic benefit to the province.""

The project will be located next to Provident’s office building on the Bedford Waterfront.

John Greenough, president, Provident Development Inc. said, "These buildings will enhance the vibrancy of the Bedford waterfront through increased commercial activity, and use of the public space around the property."

In the newspaper they had a nice picture of the site but it wasnt on the online edition so if i find time i'll post the picture up here. btw this was in the Bedford/Sackville Weekly News.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 4:06 PM

Sometime ago Mayor Kelly made some comments about needed change to Bedford. I wonder if he had somethign to do with this being finalized....

Wish Waterfront Development would hurry up on the Queenslanding proposal so that Halifax could share in some new digs............

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 1:00 AM

I was pondering about Mill Cove and the waterfront so i started browsing the web and found this pic:

It's from Providents website. They own the building next door and are the ones developing the property. Of course i dont know if this image is up-to-date or accurate of the thing on sale now. Personally i think they're pretty cool looking. The existing building is beautiful and a couple more might look even better.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 4:52 PM

Dockside on Waterfront Drive

The official name for this project is the Dockside:

(http://www.network-realty.ca/johnhav.../dockside.html) 78 condominiums with pre-construction price range from $380'000 up to $700'000!

Last edited by Dmajackson; Apr 19, 2008 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 5:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

They look pretty good. Hopefully there's room for a lot more development if and when the ferry route is created. Given the amount of growth in Bedford I think the potential is there for the Mill Cove area to be overhauled.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 8:39 PM

I went for a bike ride today and got some shots of this lot (all are my photos)

These are just a couple of the many i took.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
They look pretty good. Hopefully there's room for a lot more development if and when the ferry route is created. Given the amount of growth in Bedford I think the potential is there for the Mill Cove area to be overhauled.
There's plenty of room for growth on the Waterfront. In most spots theres space for a building between the road and harbourwalk. I imagine they'll slowly construct around the Cove down to the South Jetty. The plan for south of the Jetty is being finalized. It was one of the Community Vision plans.

I don't this was mentioned earlier but the construction will extend the finished harbourwalk to the bend in the cove. 2km+ of the harbourwalk is now brick. The trail around the cove is currently gravel.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 7:28 PM

Bedford Updates

-Lawtons Professional Centre will be open in a couple of weeks,
-Some new stores have appeared in Mill Cove,
-infilling for the ferry terminal is ongoing,
-and the 5 storey building at the DOCKSIDE HAS BEGUN CONSTRUCTION!

Photo Credit: Me

May I suggest thread title to be changed to "Dockside | ?m | 5&6 floors | U/C"

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 8:39 PM

After careful observation of the construction, and where exactly on the lot this is I've dtermined the structure pictured above is not the building. It's probably the sales centre and/or construction trailer. This means the building will soon follow though

I feel like I'm talking to myself on this thread....

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 11:27 PM

What's a 'bedford'?

Joking

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 1:55 AM

It's where they put all the NIMBY's and local complaininers

Just don't give us the HT. They'll believe Sunnyside Mall is historic...

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 8:42 AM

They're not that loose in stays, probably the Chicken Burger, though.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 8:54 PM

Thank god we have Mickey McDonald around...The chickenburger was actually slated for redevelopment but he bought it out and fixed it up

I say we make Mickey the head of the HT. Then they would have some sense.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Sep 3, 2008 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 2:40 PM

I must be the only one who doesn't find the Chickenburger particularly wonderful...
Hell, last time I was there, the freaking jukebox played the wrong song, so I ended up listening to The Monster Mash

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs