HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 10:22 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
They actually have a theme (including structural design, vegetation, and colorway) for each freeway that all current and new construction has to meet. You can't deny that they make a much larger effort than anyone here.
i.e. North Fwy = greens, pine trees, etc.;Gulf Fwy = pale blues, palm trees, etc.

Southwest
Gulf
W Loop
Bellaire

On that note, both concrete and steel oxidizes. There's no way around it. You can only retard it for so long or you can paint over it.
Those are actually good examples (I love the SW Fwy trench), although I think the average Houston freeway is far uglier and dirtier. Maybe that's just because I normally come in from the east.

Houston definitely makes more "effort" than New Orleans does, but only on new construction - not much beautification along highways that haven't been expanded recently. In NOLA we haven't had anywhere near the same kinds of growth or investment in the highway system. We did spend money on I-10 through Jefferson, but that's just inexcusably ugly, though. Bring on the vines.

That's one reason I like the I-10 teardown plan, fwiw - 610 gets rebuilt/expanded into something halfway attractive, while Claiborne goes back to being a dignified boulevard.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 4:50 PM
life is good

Marigny, Bywater residents criticize plan to allow 75-foot buildings in their areas
http://theadvocate.com/news/7335393-...criticize-plan
The city Planning Commission received a tongue-lashing Wednesday night from residents of the Faubourg Marigny and Bywater neighborhoods, who said the opinions they have expressed about future development of their neighborhoods have been ignored in the city’s proposed new comprehensive zoning ordinance.

“I’m afraid that this process of filling out comment cards and attending charettes isn’t working,” said Gretchen Bomboy, a Marigny resident...

At specific issue for many of those in attendance is a provision in the code that would allow some buildings erected near the riverfront to be as tall as 75 feet — 25 feet taller than the existing 50-foot height limit for new construction in Bywater and Marigny — provided they meet certain requirements.

“Our neighborhood is completely against that,” Suarez said. “We are not against development. We are pro-sensitive development that incorporates the neighborhood.”

The neighborhood is against “grand architecture that’s not appropriate to village scale,” she said. “To build 75-foot buildings is not really appropriate in terms of the historical fabric of the neighborhood.”

Residents said they fear allowing developers to build 75 feet into the air along the water would eventually wall off the river and riverfront development, such as Crescent Park, from the rest of the neighborhood...

Just last year, Bywater and Marigny residents led a successful battle against a proposed 75-foot-tall development along the riverfront.

My take: I appreciate difference of opinions, but the federal government just paid for 15 billion dollar levee system and they ain't making any more land in SELA. To have a financially and otherwise sustainable city density has to increase, and more taxpayers are needed.

Uptown Polka Dot Mystery Solved
http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2013...-be-solved.php

Who knew polka dots could cause such strong feelings? Apparently, the "street art" at General Pershing and Constance Streets Uptown is a "traffic calming solution, meant to slow drivers down through neighborhoods and school zones.
My take: innovative! I like it.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 11:08 PM
TL;DR

I love the polka dots! I just wrote to Cantrell in support.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 7:21 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Where are Bywater and Marigny in relation to the core city neighborhoods? A 25-foot raise does not sound like the end of the world, and the NIMBYs sound unreasonable.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 3:45 PM

Lichtenstein in NOMA Entrance

So it looks like the reason the Museum of Art is sprucing up the front is because a new sculpture will be going in the center. The current piece (The Soaring Silver Kinetic Sculpture) with the moving aluminum wedges will be placed in the sculpture garden, and Five Brushstrokes by Roy Lichtenstein will go in its place. New Orleans is moving up in the name-brand art world!

http://wwno.org/post/lichtenstein-sc...-noma-entrance

Photo courtesty of WWNO

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 4:55 PM

@LMich...they are the neighborhoods immediately downriver from the French Quarter. I agree that a small height increase in a few select spots along the riverfront and main thouroughfares should be encouraged. The city will eventually have to build up somewhere since land is at a premium.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 5:11 PM

Midcity Home Depot

Quote:
The building that houses the soon-to-be-closed Home Depot at 500 N. Carrollton Ave. is poised to be absorbed by the Rouses supermarket chain, though not as a grocery store.
http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...-by-home-depot

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 5:28 PM
life is good

New CZO includes broader development design reviews (scrip rqrd)

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...esign-reviews/
Quote:
Private sector developers will be subject to a more specific review process under the city’s proposed comprehensive zoning ordinance.
Currently, the Design Advisory Committee only reviews public projects, such as school buildings, and passes its recommendations to the City Planning Commission, which then makes its own recommendations to the New Orleans City Council...

Its purview will include aesthetic matters such as colors schemes, landscaping, windows and façades. Parking lots and building access points would also be covered. Reviews will be based on standards specific to individual neighborhoods, similar to what the Vieux Carre Commission does now in the French Quarter, Alley explained.
“We’ll ask a Walgreens on Canal (Street) to look different than one in Treme,” she said, giving a hypothetical example...

Developer Joshua Bruno, who is working on the 44-unit St. Anne Square Apartments in Treme, urged caution with allowing the DAC to set design parameters. Such limitations could deter outside investors, such as national chains, from building locations in New Orleans, he said.
“They’re going to have be briefed that these outside companies do have these required aesthetics, like arches… They are required or else they can’t open,” Bruno said.
The mayor’s office is looking for guidance from citizens and the business community on how to structure the Design Advisory Committee. The rules will be finalized once the city’s public outreach program for the new CZO is finished. Information regarding the committee is in Section 4.5 of the draft...
My take: we will see if it has any backbone.

NOCCA readies for campus expansion (scrip rqrd)
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...pus-expansion/

Quote:
The New Orleans Center for Creative Arts is set to start construction on a 60,000-square-foot expansion of its campus in the Marigny...

Last edited by Eightball; Oct 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM. Reason: add 2nd article

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 2:35 AM
TL;DR

I am admittedly biased as an architect, but I'm not in favor of design review.

It adds unnecessary red tape and delays to any development project, when the last thing we need is more obstructions to development. Look at Habana Outpost - the neighbors already lost the political battle to stop the project, but the developer still can't move forward (several months later) because he's stuck in design-review Hell. It's bad enough that city commissions only meet monthly to approve zoning changes, conditional use, etc.

It also constrains architectural styles and discourages innovation or fresh ideas. They're regulating color schemes? When did our city turn into a petty little gated community?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 5:05 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I am admittedly biased as an architect, but I'm not in favor of design review.

It adds unnecessary red tape and delays to any development project, when the last thing we need is more obstructions to development. Look at Habana Outpost - the neighbors already lost the political battle to stop the project, but the developer still can't move forward (several months later) because he's stuck in design-review Hell. It's bad enough that city commissions only meet monthly to approve zoning changes, conditional use, etc.

It also constrains architectural styles and discourages innovation or fresh ideas. They're regulating color schemes? When did our city turn into a petty little gated community?
Agreed its a bad decision all the way around. There are so many blighted buildings etc why would we want to institute more red tape to getting new buildings built. We should be encouraging it. After my experience with these commission I can say i emphatically hate them and that the people on these review committees are not very open to any new ideas.

Oh and Aredicla isnt it lovely when you have to get your project reviewed by other architects that often arent getting much work because they arent very good. There wouldnt be any reason for these people to not like your design for personal reasons would there. This is the problem with these commissions ; run by people who often have alterior motives. If the city wants to have traffic plans reviewed for really large projects thats fine but reviewing the design of everything adds time to the effort and thats not helpful.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 1:19 PM
life is good

WWII Museum's $320 Million Expansion Expected To Complete In 2016
http://wwno.org/post/wwii-museums-32...-complete-2016

Quote:
Years before there were any cranes in the sky on Tulane Avenue, they could be seen in the CBD constructing a fairly modest building called the D-Day Museum...
N.O. corporate real estate is booming, business leaders say
http://www.fox8live.com/story/23732711/corporate
Quote:
NEW ORLEANS - Commercial real estate is booming in New Orleans, business community leaders say.

New Orleans CityBusiness Editor-in-Chief Greg LaRose says there's been a half-billion in hotel sales alone this year...
Big businesses are going up for even bigger price tags...

LaRose said sellers are optimistic they'll make significant profits...

It's not just about hotels, according to Kabacoff.

"Our company recently sold the American Can in Mid-City because the market was good," Kabacoff said...
Mayor Landrieu hails Iberville redevelopment as part of larger downtown transformation
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...iberville.html

New Orleans Arena ready for business with completion of major interior upgrades
http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...incart_m-rpt-2

Quote:
A new spacious 12,000 square foot Chairman's Club has been built with glass windows overlooking the hallway across from the Pelicans' locker room that will allow 150 front row, courtside season-ticket holders a chance to see and hear the players as they come out.

The renovations are part of a $50 million upgrade that is scheduled to be done in two phases. The interior upgrades started May 1 and completely shut down the Arena for the entire summer and forced the Pelicans to play their first six preseason games on the road.

The exterior renovations is expected to start in the spring of 2014, when the upcoming season ends...

``The look of the building is different, there's no question about it,'' said Doug Thornton, the senior vice president of SMG, the company that manages the Arena and Mercedes-Benz Superdome. ``The architects wanted to achieve what they call an urban loft look..

The state legislature approved a capital bond issue of about $50 million to fund improvements to the Arena that was part of the team's new lease agreement approved in 2012 after Benson purchased the franchise from the NBA.

The upgrades were designed to allow the Pelicans to generate additional monies and relieve the state of the burden of providing the team annual subsidies. The Pelicans are expected to continue their push to reach a naming rights agreement for the Arena that would bring in additional revenue...

Lauscha said before the upgrades, the Arena was probably in the bottom third among facilities in the NBA and the building was in desperate need of renovations.

``I will tell you that it certainly be in my mind that after phase two, we're going to be in the top half or top third in my opinion,'' Lauscha said. ``We did it for a very good price, too. There are some arenas that are built for a billion dollars. In New York, it cost a billion dollars to renovate that arena (Madison Square Garden). So we're talking $50 million here.''

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 5:40 PM
NOLA Razorback

H&m

Looks like H&M is opening on Halloween afternoon! First H&M store in the country to have home decor as well. http://www.nola.com/fashion/index.ss..._river_default

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 9:17 PM
life is good

1) Interesting comments ya'll about the proposed design review under the new zoning ordinance. I am definitely not in favor of legislating taste (outside of historic districts) and we are in agreement there. What I really want to see out of the new zoning is more flexibility around minimum parking requirements and a lowering of the minimums (not trying to start another parking discussion...)

2) I think that H&M is going to be a tremendous success.

3) I wish Rouses would tear down that building and build something directly facing Carrollton with housing on top. Not gonna happen though, i think.

Businesses pushing for New Orleans East revival
http://www.wwltv.com/news/New-Orlean...228848161.html
Quote:
The people living and working in New Orleans East say they're fighting to overcome perceptions. One is that the area is a desolate place.
One business owners says that perception is somewhat true.
"There are not enough people with discretionary income to come fully support the businesses," said Gregory Jacobs.
Jacobs opened Tutti Fruit four months ago. The frozen yogurt spot is in the same plaza where Jacobs opened one of his three Subway stores, which are all located in New Orleans East.
While some may just see New Orleans East as a place to get good Vietnamese food, Jacobs sees a great business opportunity...
New Orleans Councilman James Gray said there are positive signs of a comeback...

Last edited by Eightball; Oct 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Shorten quote

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 9:31 PM

New Superdome Gondola

http://1079ishot.com/new-orleans-sai...ard-superdome/

I hope it's a good size octagon and not some obnoxious huge screen like the one in Dallas. That one makes you ignore the game and just watch the screen. It would be even cooler if it could be circular!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 2:39 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
http://1079ishot.com/new-orleans-sai...ard-superdome/

I hope it's a good size octagon and not some obnoxious huge screen like the one in Dallas. That one makes you ignore the game and just watch the screen. It would be even cooler if it could be circular!
I wonder how much weight that roof can hold.

As for parking I agree with the ability to be more accommodating with that.

5500 Chef Menteur Hwy·New Construction ·Ref Code: G1KGFN
Print Summary Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Jeffrey Miller
Application Review
Date Filed:
10/22/2013 3:30:34 PM
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of a building for administrative and meeting purposes for the Folger Coffee Company Chef Plant Site as per plans,City Planning Approval and Levee Board Approval. Fees were paid under voided permit #13-41732.

7901 Crowder Blvd·New Construction ·Ref Code: M6G7YG
Download (15) Print Summary Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Byron J Stewart
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/18/2013 2:24:32 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Supplement to complete work started under 12Com-00559. New construction of a business building as per plans and City Planning Approval.

4100 General De Gaulle Dr·New Construction ·Ref Code: CBSU0M
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Stephen Zito
Draft Application
Date Filed:
10/17/2013 11:48:39 AM
Closed:
No
Description
66,176 square feet of new mercantile/mixed use shell building construction and limited site work. All parking and HC accessible spaces exist. We are filling in rear drive areas and adding utilities for these shell building. Tenant build out plans will be submitted separately at a later date.

3620 Victoria St·New Construction ·Ref Code: 7ENLP7
Download (1) Print Summary Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Industrial & Mechanical Contractor
Application Review
Date Filed:
10/16/2013 2:10:20 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Build a 20'x20' sewer pump station as per plans.

3814 Magazine St [Interior Designs]·Change of Use ·Ref Code: FAXWH7
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
Richard Albert
Application Review
Date Filed:
10/22/2013 9:55:46 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Convert vacant space into a restaurant as per plans.

4500 Magazine St, #4·Change of Use ·Ref Code: GD3MBG
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
Alfred Hayes
Application Review
Date Filed:
10/18/2013 11:23:51 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Tenant build-out of unit #4 as per plans. (exercise studio).

3212 Burgundy St·Change of Use ·Ref Code: Z0AFS3
Download (2) Print Summary Add to Watch List
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
Stacy A Hoover
Certificate of Occupancy
Date Filed:
10/18/2013 10:13:45 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Convert vacant 1st floor of mixed-occupancy (1-commercial, 1-residential) to retail/wholesale as per sketch. (3210-12)

5931 Bullard Ave Suite 13·Change of Use ·Permit #13-41500-CUSE ·Ref Code: 1WDG0V
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
Patrick's Place East, LLC
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
10/17/2013 3:29:46 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Convert shell into a office space as per State Fire Marshal approval. Suite 13

926 Canal St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: 4EL8RR
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Kirk Faubacher
Scheduling and case analysis
Date Filed:
10/21/2013 1:27:14 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Construction of a new storefront on an existing building.

7300 Jourdan Rd·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: MSJKPF
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Perez Apc
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/22/2013 11:15:36 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation of existing warehouse structure as per plans. Morrison Yard Wharf Crane Shed Rehab.

4646 Michoud Blvd, #D1·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: V1SPSG
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
CHAU NGUYEN
Application Review
Date Filed:
10/18/2013 9:32:21 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation to a pool/dance hall as per plans and City Planning Approval: Adding a kitchen and paint.

417 Royal St [Brennans French Rest]·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: E6GM8P
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
LANDIS CONSTRUCTION CO.,LLC
Application Review
Date Filed:
10/14/2013 4:22:06 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation of existing 3 story vacant structure as per plans,Vcc 13-36634 demi permit and BBSA Docket # 13-36. No use and occupancy, New finishes,kitchens,toilets,electrical,plumbing;mechanical and elevators installation.

5727 St Claude Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: JSKQQS
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
John C. Williams Architects, LLC
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
8/16/2013 3:31:56 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation of 2 story mixed used building as per plans: 1st floor - 676 sq ft beauty salon; 1040 sq ft auto service center; storage, etc. 2nd floor - 1 dwelling unit. NO OCCUPANCY FOR THE AUTO SERVICE CENTER UNDER THIS PERMIT. FUTURE PLANS AND PERMIT REQUIRED.

1005 Canal St·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: HY1NFB
Type:
Applicant:
Peter Waring
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/23/2013 11:42:30 AM
Closed:
No
Description
THE SCOPE OF WORK WILL INCLUDE FACADE REPAIRS AND RENOVATIONS THAT WILL BE REVIEWED AND APPROVED BY THE DDD-HDLC AS WELL AS NEW GRAPHICS AND REPAIRS TO THE EXISTING SIGNAGE MARQUEE (ALSO TO BE REVIEWED AND APPROVED BY THE DDD-HDLC). THIS PROPOSED APPLICATION IS FOR FACADE MODIFICATIONS ONLY.

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 24, 2013 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
926 Canal St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: 4EL8RR
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Kirk Faubacher
Scheduling and case analysis
Date Filed:
10/21/2013 1:27:14 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Construction of a new storefront on an existing building.

1005 Canal St·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: HY1NFB
Type:
Applicant:
Peter Waring
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/23/2013 11:42:30 AM
Closed:
No
Description
THE SCOPE OF WORK WILL INCLUDE FACADE REPAIRS AND RENOVATIONS THAT WILL BE REVIEWED AND APPROVED BY THE DDD-HDLC AS WELL AS NEW GRAPHICS AND REPAIRS TO THE EXISTING SIGNAGE MARQUEE (ALSO TO BE REVIEWED AND APPROVED BY THE DDD-HDLC). THIS PROPOSED APPLICATION IS FOR FACADE MODIFICATIONS ONLY.
I want to get my hopes up that these would be real improvements, but I can't.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 12:51 AM

Screens

I attended the first Saints game in the Dome. Everyone was amazed at the projection screens - I think there were four suspended over the field. They were pretty small by today's standards, but revolutionary at the time.

The Saints had an agreement with the NFL, I believe, to not replay controversial calls, for fear of getting the crowd riled up against the referees.

The first play from scrimmage was run - no problems. Then the replay on the screens showed what should have been a penalty against the opponent. The Dome erupted into boos.

Fun.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I wonder how much weight that roof can hold.
It should hold just fine...
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...67--ncaab.html

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 1:59 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
@LMich...they are the neighborhoods immediately downriver from the French Quarter. I agree that a small height increase in a few select spots along the riverfront and main thouroughfares should be encouraged. The city will eventually have to build up somewhere since land is at a premium.
Yes, and land is especially at a premium inside the levee system. This asset (the levee system) must be used to its fullest extent. I would like to see at least moderate upzoning through much of the city to reflect this reality. I don't think it is going to happen, though.

Trying to be non-political here, but hopefully that lawsuit against the O&G companies is successful so that the coastal restoration plan is actually funded.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 2:36 PM
TL;DR

It's hard to make the case for upzoning based on scarcity of land while huge portions of the city are severly under-populated. I agree with you, but obviously the Marignyites don't see it that way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations