HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:49 PM
c'est le temps.....

Great news in regards to the French Market.......If Jon Smith has his way we may see a "World Class Market" for locals and tourist alike in the redevelopment of the Farmer's Market

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...res_jon_s.html

Quote:
Smith said. "If you or I fly to Seattle today, when we're landing we're going to be thinking of that iconic Pike Place Market sign. I want people to land in New Orleans and think of the tiled roofs of the French Market."

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:20 PM
-

ALGIERS FERRY ONLY FOR WALKERS (AND SCOOTERS), STARTING MONDAY

Posted Friday, September 27th, 2013 by NoDef Staff

After a false start, the Algiers Ferry is set to become pedestrian-only. On Monday, commuters will no longer be able to drive onto the public transit boat across the Mississippi River, according to the state Department of Transportation and Development. Scooting, however, will still be allowed.

http://www.noladefender.com/content/...tarting-monday

Army corps awards $42 million in contracts for area drainage work
CORPS AWARDS TWO CONTRACTS

BY JEFF ADELSON
JADELSON@THEADVOCATE.COM
Tue, 01 Oct 2013
0 Comments

Share on Facebook

Share on email Share on google Share on reddit More Sharing Services
PRINT ARTICLE
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has awarded two contracts totaling more than $42 million to create a new box culvert under the Napoleon Avenue neutral ground in New Orleans and widen the Murphy Canal in Jefferson Parish as part of an expansive drainage project in the metro area.

The Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Damage Reduction Project seeks to reduce damage from a so-called “10-year rain event,” or a storm that has a 10 percent chance of occurring in any given year.

In the New Orleans area, that amounts to a storm that drops about 9 inches of rain in a 24-hour period.

http://theneworleansadvocate.com/hom...rds-42-million

Gatehouse Gets Building Corp. OK for WTC Development

Gatehouse Corp., the chosen ones for the redevelopment of the former World Trade Center building, got the thumbs-up from the New Orleans Building Corp. at yesterday's meeting. The Times-Pic's Richard Webster reports that the NOBC voted unanimously to start up some lease negotiations for the residential/W Hotel combo plans. There was a bit of an outcry from James Burch and company (his team was the runner-up, in case you missed it). They didn't think Gatehouse provided enough info in their proposal about the required disadvantaged business enterprises plans. One of Burch's partners started to talk about "300 years of corruption" before Burch cut him off, "We're not saying that, but that's what this mayor has been battling against and this process didn't serve his intentions well." The NOBC still needs to vote on the formal lease and then it will go to City Council for a final say.

http://nola.curbed.com/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:40 PM

No cars on ferry

Not living there, I have been unaware of the trouble with the ferry.

What is the reason no cars will be allowed?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:44 PM
c'est le temps.....

[QUOTE][QUOTE=tennis1400[/QUOTE]

Quote:
One of Burch's partners started to talk about "300 years of corruption" before Burch cut him off, "We're not saying that, but that's what this mayor has been battling against and this process didn't serve his intentions well."

Can someone help this Nouveau Coon Ass comprehend this statement? It sounds half ass twisted....Tennis, anyone?

Is the ferry still going to bump up the fare to $2.00?

So happy Gatehouse won out the competition! It seems to have been the best proposal.

Last edited by Exiled In Lafayette; Oct 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:57 PM
-

[QUOTE=Exiled In Lafayette;6286443]
Quote:

Can someone help this Nouveau Coon Ass comprehend this statement? It sounds half ass twisted....Tennis, anyone?

Is the ferry still going to bump up the fare to $2.00?

So happy Gatehouse won out the competition! It seems to have been the best proposal.
The guys off his rocker to be honest. Also, its ironic for him to bring up the issus of Gatehouses proposal not being complete or unclear. On the original deadline his proposal didnt even have floorplans or any announced tenants. He added that in after, something I think was a bit unfair to begin with. You lost, now move on!

5700 Crowder Blvd·New Construction ·Ref Code: EU1N01
Download (2) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Dorsey Development
Application Review
Date Filed:
8/13/2013 4:10:15 PM
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of a 12,480 sq. ft. Dollar General Plus as per plans. SIte plan approval required by the CIty Planning Commission prior to the issuance of the building permit. Signage requires a seperate permit.

7211 Regent St·New Construction ·Ref Code: FHNTAE
Download (5) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Pepper Tregre
Application Review
Date Filed:
8/15/2013 3:15:06 PM
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of a mixed use building with 7 unit strip mall (A-G) and 1 residential unit per plans.

4300 St Claude Ave·New Construction ·Permit #12-24003-NEWC ·Ref Code: 18PWCB
Download (7) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
City Of N O
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
9/11/2012 10:09:18 AM
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of the Recreation Center and renovation of the pool and pool building per plans. Stallings St Claude Center and Pool.

600 Carondelet St [Colson Hicks Eidson]·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: N110VU
Download (1) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Eskew + Dumez + Ripple
Scheduling and case analysis
Date Filed:
9/25/2013 10:04:39 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation of existing 9-story commercial building, including modification to entrance and addition of windows, and construction of 4-story addition.

1100-1110 Annunciation St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: 1Z2W0Y
Download (1) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Trapolin Peer Architects
Date Filed:
9/25/2013 10:16:25 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct 16-story, mixed-use building on vacant lot.

1075 Prytania St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: Y3AT7E
Download (3) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Dinu Tise
Date Filed:
9/25/2013 9:02:28 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct 3-story, 4-unit residential building on vacant lot.

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 1, 2013 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 11:13 PM
c'est le temps.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
Not living there, I have been unaware of the trouble with the ferry.

What is the reason no cars will be allowed?
mon frère dans l'exil......... I think it has to do with the renovation of the WTC, the Aquarium expansion and redesign and repair of the plaza between Spanish Plaza and the Aquarium....... eliminating (or rebuilding) the ferry access building. The WTC developers and the Aquarium would like to link the riverfront without vehicle traffic interrupting pedestrian walkways and also opening Spanish Plaza to the Aquarium of the America's Plaza. It should be a great gathering place if everything works out well with the design.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 11:57 PM
TL;DR

This is a weird one. 1075 Prytania is a cool italianate building that stands alone at the corner of Camp/Calliope (the Prytania address is itself weird but Prytania forks off of Camp here).

The app says the new building is slated for a vacant lot. I think the lot next door on the Camp St side belongs to Tivoli Place Apartments, so that only leaves the lot facing Calliope. Essentially this apartment building will face the expressway. I like the idea of filling in the gaps around the elevated structure but I wouldn't want to live there...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

1075 Prytania St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: Y3AT7E
Download (3) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Dinu Tise
Date Filed:
9/25/2013 9:02:28 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct 3-story, 4-unit residential building on vacant lot.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 12:18 AM

Is it just me or do the new renderings of Tracage/"1100 Annunciation" remind you of the Plaza Tower? Seems like the board might have guided them away from a more "Florida Coast" look earlier images.

What do you all think are the chances of this project actually happening? This guys have stuck around for awhile now, maybe legit? I think the market could probably bear it and they would be successful. Only competition is that project by Lucy's.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 2:17 AM
c'est le temps.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Is it just me or do the new renderings of Tracage/"1100 Annunciation" remind you of the Plaza Tower? Seems like the board might have guided them away from a more "Florida Coast" look earlier images.

What do you all think are the chances of this project actually happening? This guys have stuck around for awhile now, maybe legit? I think the market could probably bear it and they would be successful. Only competition is that project by Lucy's.
http://www.trapolinpeer.com/projects/tracage

I thought this was a well designed building, just in the wrong place.....It would have fit in better on Loyola, the new design is so butchered I hope the project is scrapped......I'd rather see a parking lot........the first four floors look too retro Plaza tower.....HDLC has that tight of a grip? We'll all be dead before they see the city the way they want it.......

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:36 AM
TL;DR

The podium is alright. The devil is in the details... are those bars made of brick? Is there glass infill between them, or is it open? How will the garage be lit at night?

Overall I think the tower is pretty handsome.

The neighborhood probably disagrees, but I think tall buildings are needed along Calliope to help block the expressway noise. I live 3 blocks away on the other side, and I can always hear the noise.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 11:11 AM
c'est le temps.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The podium is alright. The devil is in the details... are those bars made of brick? Is there glass infill between them, or is it open? How will the garage be lit at night?

Overall I think the tower is pretty handsome.

The neighborhood probably disagrees, but I think tall buildings are needed along Calliope to help block the expressway noise. I live 3 blocks away on the other side, and I can always hear the noise.
I understand your position, I still think much was lost in reducing the height of the bldg, especially the overall proportioning..... the new design seems to have lost all visually appealing qualities....all I see now is a squat "heavy" semi-highrise bldg, that seems out of place, and out of touch with it's surroundings.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 12:57 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
It might lead to people rarely even owning cars, and just taking a car service anytime they need, like a taxi but faster/cheaper/easier. If a car is an individual's/family's second largest expense (on average), then imagine what society would be able to do with all of that money people are saving. It could be like a second industrial revolution.
Excellent post! Let's not forget the 34k or more vehicle deaths that could hopefully be reduced, as well. But yes, the economic impact could be incredibly positive.

@DillardAlum - thanks for the history lesson. Very interesting.

Another damn Dollar store for the East? Redlining going on out there or what?

Tracage looks great. I would always prefer taller but it would be great to have something of that height built.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 2:22 PM

Quote:

7211 Regent St·New Construction ·Ref Code: FHNTAE
Download (5) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Pepper Tregre
Application Review
Date Filed:
8/15/2013 3:15:06 PM
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of a mixed use building with 7 unit strip mall (A-G) and 1 residential unit per plans.
I had to look up Regent Street and ... ugh. Lakeview deserves better than this. This can't be the highest and best use for one of the few commercial lots in the neighborhood. Harrison has zero percent vacancy and the only other commercial corridor gets a strip mall that looks like it'd fit better on Vets?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 6:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
I had to look up Regent Street and ... ugh. Lakeview deserves better than this. This can't be the highest and best use for one of the few commercial lots in the neighborhood. Harrison has zero percent vacancy and the only other commercial corridor gets a strip mall that looks like it'd fit better on Vets?
I know but there isnt a design review district where it is. So they can get away with it... it is definitely something you would see on Severn or something like that. Oh and lol at the name of the shopping center 'Backyard Living Plaza"....lol

Also the Fountain Lounge at the Roosevelt has reopened:

http://theneworleansadvocate.com/fea...d-seafood-cool

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 7:57 PM

One Shell Square

Just heard from a friend that Shell has renewed their lease for 27 floors of One Shell Square until 2026. Also, will be renovating their floors.

Big win for Downtown as they could have followed Chevron to the North Shore!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 9:19 PM
-

Quote:
Just heard from a friend that Shell has renewed their lease for 27 floors of One Shell Square until 2026. Also, will be renovating their floors.

That will be a big contract for whoever gets to renovate and good to see some stability from the larger oil and gas sector. Still annoyed about Chevron but at least they stayed in the metro area.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 9:48 PM

Quote:
That will be a big contract for whoever gets to renovate and good to see some stability from the larger oil and gas sector. Still annoyed about Chevron but at least they stayed in the metro area.
I remember hearing from a friend somewhat recently that McDonnel Group was already working on some very specialized renovations for offshore rig control rooms.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 10:10 PM
c'est le temps.....

Quote:

That's impressive to hear. My father worked for Shell for 36 years, retired in '79 and always told me the Dutch had a special love for and felt a commitment to the city of New Orleans.....it's good to hear that that may still be true in today's world!

Rotterdam's Residential tower "New Orleans" designed by Álvaro Siza Vieira

The tallest residential building in Rotterdam, The Netherlands named in honor of the City of New Orleans

Last edited by Exiled In Lafayette; Oct 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 12:22 PM
c'est le temps.....

New Orleans in the national spotlight....and it's not just "Top Chef"
Columbia Park Homes
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._river_default

Last edited by Exiled In Lafayette; Oct 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 3:17 PM

^
Very nice and well maintained development...

I regret reading the comments in that nola.com link, there are some vile, miserable folks...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations