HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 11:06 PM

It amazes me what they will rail against. This entire area is a huge industrial wasteland. And they fight against developing it into a beautiful waterfront destination. Boggles the mind. I'm glad they dropped it too.

Actually I do sort of see a possible logic to thier initial stance: politics.

Not politics in the conventional sense, but politics in getting thier way overall. A lot of these people are probably concerned about ANY successful high-rise project. They've probably been particularly concerned since the Paramount went up along South Park, and Gladstone certainly didn't give them any reassurances (and neither, of course, did the 'Twisted Sisters' debate).

The better the project, the more people that will see it. And the more people that will want to emulate it. Which spells big trouble, collectively, for them.

So even if King's Wharf doesn't threaten heritage sites, and doesn't even block and resonable view to the harbor (because you know how the 9th hole at Brightwood was a prime tourist stop for any vistor to Halifax), it's still in thier interests to block it simply because it will be big and it will be good. Because that'll increase demand. Much better a spectacular failure which would stop everything in its tracks.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
As I recall one of their biggest concerns was the loss of the view of the mouth of the harbour from Brightwood, specifically the view from a certain hole (I'm thinking 9th, but I don't know Brightwood at all) - but then somebody representing the players at Brightwood said they don't mind, and they endorse it
It's the 7th hole, from the tee box, and while it is a nice view, the vista is broad enough that this will only enhance it. Apparently, though, back when Halifax was passing viewplane bylaws in the 1970s, the City of Dartmouth decided they needed to get into the act too, so they passed one about that particular view from Brightwood, believe it or not...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 12:40 AM
Dartmouth Girl

So, as I was getting off the ferry this evening, this open house completely eluded me until I walked along the Dartmouth waterfront to see a giant column of light shooting up into the sky, and the sales office illuminated with beautiful white and blue lights....

I went to the open house guys, and my god... the scale of this development is phenominal, they had a really incredible plastic mock-up model in incredible detail for viewing, and I've gotta say I am way more excited about this than I was before... I was speaking with several owners of units that have already been pre-purchased, and how excited they are too, I didn't get into much detail as I was too busy oggling the site model and drinking wine and strawberry champage.

Anyway, I would highly suggest going down to check this out... I kept thinking to myself the entire time "this can't be happening, this is too good to be happening.........shit... this REALLY is happening!!!!" I wasn't able to get my hands on any real information as the place was crammed full and I just wanted to see the display basically before I had to catch my bus home.

Just...everyone go check it out. I am going to go down when it's less busy I think, you won't be dissapointed.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 1:12 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
What was said? I just read your post and missed it.
It was very positive. Andrew asked a lot of great questions about how the project came to be, what inspired it etc. A lot of time was spent discussing the impact it will have on the economy, the 700 jobs it will create each one of the total 5 years, (something like 25 million in wages) and the amount of retail/living space it will create in downtown Dartmouth. Its awsome how exited Francis sounded as he spoke about it and that if all goes well construction will start in Dec. He didn't say whether the 30 storey tower was still phase 2 or if it was going to be the starting point. They touched on the Twisted Sisters as well, but there was no confirmation on whether the project was still alive or dead.
I loved what was said, because a lot of people listen to Andrew on Maritime Morning. This was a great way of getting word around on such an exciting project.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 3:02 AM

That's odd. I was led to believe today was a special viewing for stakeholders and the grand opening was tomorrow. I certainly plan to go down tomorrow myself. Hoping to maybe be one of those 700 who are employed.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
wine
I'll be there.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 3:56 PM

The website has totally been revamped and launched. It looks great.

www.kingswharf.ca

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 4:03 PM
You talkin' to me?

I was talking with HaliStreaks about this the other day, and he told me that there is WAY more to this project than the renderings let on. I wish they would show what this will look like from the Halifax side.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 5:51 PM

This part of the site interested me. All info taken from above.
Buildings B and C will be 13-storey residential towers with ground floor commercial space.
Building E will be an 11-17 level condominium
Building G will be a 12-18 level condominium.
The most anticipated building at King’s Wharf is its centrepiece, Building I, which will be renamed by the community at a later date. (The 30 story tower)

Building H will be an 8-storey condominium with ground floor commercial space.
Buildings J and K will be 5-storey condominiums surrounded by 3-story townhouses.
A marina is being proposed to skirt the perimeter of these buildings. Also proposed are a series of one-level pavilion housing unique boutiques or retail shops.

Also there is building D which is an office building (And hotel? the building that is in isn't listed) All together this project will double the amount of high rise buildings in dartmouth.

All together, if the buildings get built at the maximum levels, it will be about 104 stories of stuff.

Only 55 stories off from the Burj
If only it was one tower.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 5:58 PM

Quote:
As I recall one of their biggest concerns was the loss of the view of the mouth of the harbour from Brightwood, specifically the view from a certain hole (I'm thinking 9th, but I don't know Brightwood at all) - but then somebody representing the players at Brightwood said they don't mind, and they endorse it
It might block the view of the oil refinery. That's a problem.

The meeting they had about the Dartmouth Common, someone mentioned giving up the land behind the sportsplex, and having Brightwood as common land.
I like that idea. JET

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 7:07 PM

I Was at the showroom for Kings Wharf this morning. Was very impressed with the project and the vision. I hope it all comes together. I took some photos and created a slide show. Check out this link http://bit.ly/2PPRO6

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 7:26 PM

From the website:

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 7:55 PM

So I just updated the compilation thread link for this and it looks insane (in a good way).

Oh and ...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
You okay there? You need a change of underwear?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 7:23 AM

man the retail @ grade , is so sweet....

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
I was talking with HaliStreaks about this the other day, and he told me that there is WAY more to this project than the renderings let on. I wish they would show what this will look like from the Halifax side.
sure I'd love to see the hole thing, but the way this is progressing, could not please me more....the more this project evolves the better and better it gets.....look @ the 1st + 2nd rendering, from way back when

who ever is in charge is very wise in therms of this project

man talk about vision and legacy

"sing while your winning"

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 2:17 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
sure I'd love to see the hole thing, but the way this is progressing, could not please me more....the more this project evolves the better and better it gets.....look @ the 1st + 2nd rendering, from way back when

who ever is in charge is very wise in therms of this project

man talk about vision and legacy

"sing while your winning"
haha, oh Im not trying to sound unsatisfied with the project. In fact I think this is probably the most important single project this city may have ever seen. And I agree, it looks absolutely amazing in its current form.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 4:20 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
This part of the site interested me. All info taken from above.
Buildings B and C will be 13-storey residential towers with ground floor commercial space.
Building E will be an 11-17 level condominium
Building G will be a 12-18 level condominium.
The most anticipated building at King’s Wharf is its centrepiece, Building I, which will be renamed by the community at a later date. (The 30 story tower)

Building H will be an 8-storey condominium with ground floor commercial space.
Buildings J and K will be 5-storey condominiums surrounded by 3-story townhouses.
A marina is being proposed to skirt the perimeter of these buildings. Also proposed are a series of one-level pavilion housing unique boutiques or retail shops.

Also there is building D which is an office building (And hotel? the building that is in isn't listed) All together this project will double the amount of high rise buildings in dartmouth.

All together, if the buildings get built at the maximum levels, it will be about 104 stories of stuff.

Only 55 stories off from the Burj
If only it was one tower.
Will the phases be build in alphabetical order so the tallest building will be one of the last buildings constructed?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 4:28 PM

Quote:
You okay there? You need a change of underwear?
Lol no. I was trying to find a WOW smiley but all the had was pshyco.

But if the tower looks like the rendering when done I'd be like a puppy near a steak.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 5:17 PM

I just hope all of the buildings don't end up looking the same. Vary the style a bit, change the colours a bit, use different materials, otherwise it looks like one great big planned neighbourhood. Which it basically is, but I think it would look better if the buildings all looked like they were built by different people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth