HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 2:33 AM

That and the proposed highway 113 have been on Google Maps for at least a year now, possibly longer. However, you used to have to zoom in to maximum before it would show up on the overlay.
The 113 one by the way no longer seems to show up...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 5:39 PM

If this does end up getting built, what is the likelihood of residential along this corridor?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haligonian88 View Post
If this does end up getting built, what is the likelihood of residential along this corridor?
Residential is not very likely.

The "original" route proposed a few years ago that went along the north side of Anderson Lake had an interchange planned that would of allowed for a lakeside residential community. Due to Dexter's complaining the highway is now detoured to the south side of Anderson Lake which is well into the CFB Bedford (Magazine Hill) lands. There is little space for residential and to allow for development the entire lakeside area would have to be swept for unexploded ordinances. The remainder of the area is too close to Burnside's current and future footprint to avoid land-use conflict so the only area left would be north of the lake between the Bedford Bypass, Dexter's Quarry, and Lily Lake.

Personally I enjoy have the distinctive greenbelt between Bedford and Dartmouth. If the fed's ever abandon Magazine Hill I personally hope it is retained as parkland. As along as a proper AT trail and express lanes for buses can be built there is no reason IMO to infringe on a relatively natural area.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 8:42 PM

Anderson Lake is actually being used right now by DFO as part of the Atlantic Whitefish recovery effort. Whitefish are unique to Canada's East Coast. They once ranged all across Nova Scotia's lakes and coastal waterways, but acid rain, habitat loss and introduced species have done a number on them and they're now almost completely gone. They only currently exist in the wild in three landlocked lakes on the south shore (Bridgewater's water supply) and their future there looks grim. It's estimated that there are less than 1000 left and chain pickerel are turning up in the lakes. The strategy to save the Whitefish is to reintroduce them where possible across their old range. In that regard, Whitefish were introduced to Anderson Lake in 2005 hopes of establishing a breeding population. Not sure how that's worked out, but the closing of the Mersey Fish Hatchery (a short-sighted decision) was premised on having a breeding population in Anderson Lake, making the hatchery unnecessary for saving the Whitefish. Any development of the Burnside Expressway will have to be done to ensure that any runoff doesn't cause problems in the lake.

http://www.registrelep-sararegistry....s_e.cfm?sid=64
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...reat-1.2586286

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 2:27 PM

Any news or rumours on this project? I'm getting the feeling that it's not going to happen in my lifetime.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 10:24 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

The clearing that was done a few years ago when it looked like the project was taking off is grown back in. Late fall 2015? After current elections? Never?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
The clearing that was done a few years ago when it looked like the project was taking off is grown back in. Late fall 2015? After current elections? Never?
Yeah, I was pretty hopeful when they started that clearing, but I guess it was all smoke and mirrors....

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 8:46 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

This Herald Business article from last December stated the round-about portion was to start in 2015? 100% not starting this year as there isn't even survey markings visible anymore.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...gains-traction

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 2:25 AM

This project has been delayed so many times that it has become laughable.

Check out this article from 2009:

http://www.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/Nati...tion-in-2011/1

Quote:
The Expressway-or Highway 107 Extension as the government prefers to call it-will connect through to Bedford's Duke Street and Sackville's Glendale Drive. The Expressway is expected to begin construction in 2011 and be completed within a 12-month period.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 4:02 PM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
The latest:
Interesting! Thanks for posting!

I'm hoping that money from the feds will a reality rather than a hope. Wondering if the government changes this fall, if there will still be a chance of getting federal funding for this project.

The fact that they are starting another study on it makes me wonder when construction will ever start. Shouldn't these studies have already been done?

Also, the major change in routing will make it a longer trip. I assume it has something to put it below the elevation of the lake to eliminate any environmental issues? Or maybe a land cost issue?

I assume the active transit lane will still be included?

Too bad they are looking at another toll road but I guess it's better than it not happening at all.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 11:46 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I don't understand this. Why is the roundabout so far away from the actual starting point of the connector? Secondly I have no idea why you would make a connector go around the lake. The google map route is so much more efficient.
C'mon Nova Scotia Government. Let's get it together.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 1:31 AM

The expropriation cost to buy the land from Municipal Enterprises (Dexter Construcion) was a big factor. Due to limits the road would put on quarry expansion fair market value was very high. I think the roundabout works into the final phases to direct people from the 118. Total KM's wise, this isn't much of an advantage over Magazine Hill, but it should ease the congestion.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 4:27 AM
Volatile Pacivist

^ Probably due to the topography for the lake jog. If the environmental assessment predicted more damage to the wetlands surrounding the lake by putting it to the north then it would be re-routed. Or maybe it was just logistical in the sense of there being hills or something that would require blasting.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 1:44 PM

Routing it to the west side of the lake puts Magazine Hill back in play, so it certainly isn't a topographical advantage. The routing seems dumb. Might be better off with widening the existing road and doing some minor rerouting of it.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 5:03 PM

The new proposed route looks to be about 40% longer than the original proposal. While I think it is less desirable than the original route, I still think it's better than not being built at all. Even if the capacity of the Magazine Hill was increased sufficiently, it will still be clogged up in the event of an accident, which is a regular happening. A bypass to bypass the Bypass would help alleviate that situation.

Regarding the topography, if you select "terrain" on google maps, it appears that this new route will have more severe grade changes than the original route, as Keith alludes to.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 5:06 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I can't imagine they would choose that route without some rationale at all though. They'd have to be crazy.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I can't imagine they would choose that route without some rationale at all though. They'd have to be crazy.
I agree, there must be some rationale it's just not alluded to in the article and there doesn't seem to be any more info posted online.

I'm sure we eventually will find out - I'm just glad it's still on the list despite my impatience for wanting it sooner rather than later.

It is still included on the 5-year plan, though it has been for a number of years, each one proclaiming that construction will start "this" year.

http://novascotia.ca/tran/highways/5...an_2015_16.pdf

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 11:10 PM

The new route goes close enough to the existing highway that it almost makes sense to start this road as a spur off the existing interchange, with ramps to/from Dartmouth Rd and the bypass. A 500m stretch of the bypass leading into the interchange could be widened to allow for the lanes leading to the new road. Even that would take significant strain off of the Windmill/Akerley intersection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
A bypass to bypass the Bypass would help alleviate that situation.
Sorry, I couldn't help but think of The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy here. "What do you mean 'why has it got to be built'? It's a bypass! You've got to build bypasses!"

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curnhalio View Post
The new route goes close enough to the existing highway that it almost makes sense to start this road as a spur off the existing interchange, with ramps to/from Dartmouth Rd and the bypass. A 500m stretch of the bypass leading into the interchange could be widened to allow for the lanes leading to the new road. Even that would take significant strain off of the Windmill/Akerley intersection.
I think that's a good idea, actually. It could introduce a lot of new route possibilities that would be more useful to the motorist and would balance out the traffic flow at the same time.

Quote:
Sorry, I couldn't help but think of The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy here. "What do you mean 'why has it got to be built'? It's a bypass! You've got to build bypasses!"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure