HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:01 PM

Other than Rio Nuevo, Scott Stiteler is one of the few developers with downtown projects that are moving forward:

Developer set to propose major new downtown arts and entertainment complex
By Lee Allen
Inside Tucson Business
May 01, 2009

Despite recent turmoil involving personnel and projects connected to downtown redevelopment, some significant new plans are coming to light — including a new multimillion dollar arts and entertainment district at Sixth and Toole avenues. The collective reality of projects completed — or nearing their finish dates — helps form a picture of the transition of downtown:

• Reconstruction of the Fourth Avenue underpass of the Union Pacific Railroad tracks is on target to open to traffic by Aug. 10, according to project manager Mike Skilsky.

• Renovations are nearing completion for the MacArthur Building, 345 E. Toole Ave., which will be the new home to Madden Media. “We opted for downtown because stuff is happening here,” said John Hudak, publisher and partner in Madden.

• Residential units are nearly sold out in One North Fifth, the redeveloped former Martin Luther King low-income housing building. Developer Ron Schwabe says leases are being signed for street level retail space.

• Improvements to Scott Avenue are almost finished. “This was an amazing 11-month pace to complete the $4.8 million renovation with a grand opening later this month,” said the city’s project supervisor, Fran LaSala.

• The Depot Plaza parking garage, with about 300 spaces, is starting to rise up from the underground levels with less than nine months left to that construction schedule.

And nationally-acclaimed chef Janos Wilder announced he would return downtown with a restaurant, after an 11-year absence. “This is completion of a circle for me to return downtown where I started,” Wilder said. “In my heart I felt I had never really left, and a return has always been important to me. Downtown is happening, and I’m proud to be a part of this revitalization.” In addition to his Janos and J-Bar restaurants at the Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, Wilder will lease 2,500 square feet in the 200 block of East Congress Street for his as-yet-unnamed restaurant-bar-demonstration kitchen-cooking school. “There are three storefront doors at Fifth and Congress, one will open to lunch and dinner dining, a second will lead to a bar and behind door number three will be our combination demo kitchen-cooking school where I can experiment on some new recipes,” he said. Wilder is hopeful of opening his downtown venture this fall after pending infrastructure construction is completed on Congress Street. “The construction and congestion are part of the growing pains that downtown is going through and I understand that,” he said. “There’s been lots of progress already made, more is continuing, and I’m buoyed by all that. It hasn’t dampened my enthusiasm whatsoever because I know downtown is exciting and vibrant.”

Helping make it so is developer Scott Stiteler and others who joined under the abbreviation of DTDC (Downtown Tucson Development Company). Stiteler owns Wilder’s retail space on Congress, co-owns the block adjoining the historic Rialto Theatre, and is involved in One North Fifth. Development is not a new concept for him. Stiteler is about to make more of that happen with a planned appearance before the City Council May 12 to present his concept for the new arts and entertainment district on three acres at Sixth and Toole avenues. “Under a newly-created nonprofit umbrella, we want to provide the capital and expertise to work with MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) to renovate the building at 197 East Toole as an artist-in-residence site and work with Skrappy’s to modernize the building at 191 East Toole,” Stiteler said. “We’d like to work with the city to build a park, a small oasis of green, and then work closely with WAMO (Warehouse Arts Management Organization) on a new three-story, 40,000 square-foot building with commercial space for art galleries and cafés on the first level and 40 new residences on the second and third floors.”

Project groundwork has already been laid with on-going meetings since February involving art community decision-makers, representatives of the youth center Skrappy’s, the city council and other city officials. “Every detail is in our development agreement and barring any misalignment of the dominoes we’ve lined up, the flow should go smoothly,” Stiteler says. “Our presentation should be real enough and sizeable enough that the city can show proof positive that things are actually happening. We have good momentum now and even pessimists — if they are reasonable people — should be impressed.”

Admitting there are lots of ideas, people, and moving parts to be fit into a project of this scale, Stiteler is confident that once the entitlement process is completed and a nonprofit entity created, construction could start within 12 months. “One hundred percent of my business is in Tucson and has been since 1995 when I purchased my first parcel of land. Since then I’ve quietly finished 16 projects in this community and escalated my footprint in downtown because I’ve always had a soft spot for urban revitalization. I like old buildings, the challenge they provide, and the ability to link them together to create synergy and critical mass.” As to forward movement in tough times, he says, “A lot gets done in a terrible economy because that’s where real opportunities show up. For 18 months now I’ve had laser focus going from a passive investor to the most active investor here. Many of my peers have walked away from opportunities in the last 90 days or so, but I haven’t waivered one iota. Tucson and downtown are both the right choices. There are enormous challenges, but I believe in this town and the fact that downtown is ready for a lot of activity.”

P.S. - The One North Fifth is an apartment building, and not "for sale" units as noted in the above article.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:20 PM

The poor economy could save Rio Nuevo? Who wudda thunk...

Proposal would give state voice on Rio Nuevo board
by TEYA VITU
Tucson Citizen

The bad economy will likely save Rio Nuevo from the legislative wolves, said state Sen. Jonathan Paton. The Tucson Republican's proposal to add state-appointed board members to the Rio Nuevo board is the only Rio Nuevo proposal being drafted by the Republican majority caucus staff to insert into the state budget, he said Thursday. "There's no money in Rio Nuevo right now," Paton said. "There's nothing to scrap. I think the (economic crisis) actually helped out."

Phoenix legislators in the past several months had threatened to withhold Rio Nuevo's tax increment financing, which is generated from a share of the sales tax in downtown and along the Broadway corridor to Park Place. The Rio Nuevo board has four members - two appointed by the Tucson City Council and two appointed by the South Tucson City Council. Enabling for Rio Nuevo requires at least two municipalities to form a multipurpose facilities district. "There are a few wrinkles we need to work out. I think we have a framework we can work out," Paton said.

One wrinkle is how many board members would be added. Another is whether Tucson and South Tucson would still appoint board members, Paton said. Tucson city lobbyist Mary Okoye said legislators are looking at expanding the board to nine or 12 members, with one-third appointed by the governor, one third by the state Senate and one third by the House of Representatives. "I would like to thank the leadership, the governor and the southern Arizona delegation for supporting us to help us keep much needed revenue for investment in our community," Okoye said. Paton said the Rio Nuevo board would become like many of the other state-appointed boards and commissions.

Paton's amendment also would add a searchable database for Rio Nuevo expenditures and a provision for a "real, independent audit." "The general consensus is we would prioritize revenue-producing projects," said Paton, referring to investing in the Tucson Convention Center expansion and hotel rather than the Tucson Origins museum complex. Okoye said the city applauds Paton's amendment. "We welcome the transparency and accountability," she said. "We welcome more people that can participate to create a world-class downtown."

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 6:35 PM

Initial cost estimate for downtown convention center hotel: $167M
by TEYA VITU
Tucson Citizen

The first cost estimate released Friday for the Sheraton Tucson Convention Center Hotel is $167 million for a 25-story, 525-room building where the TCC grand lobby is now. The hotel is part of a $239 million Garfield Traub Development project that will also expand the convention center for $39 million and include a 1,160-stall parking garage for $33 million, said Steve Moffett, president of Garfield Traub's Hospitality Division. "These are all preliminary numbers, not guaranteed prices," Moffett said. "I think all three of those numbers are going to come down. We're budgeting on something that we haven't even designed yet. We're very much expecting a guaranteed maximum price will be lower." The guaranteed maximum price will be delivered in December after schematic, design and construction documents are drawn, he said.

Moffett will make formal presentations of the hotel, TCC expansion and garage projects at 3 p.m. Monday to the Rio Nuevo Multipurpose Facilities Board at the TCC Greenlee Meeting Room, 260 S. Church Ave.; and at 2 p.m. Tuesday to a City Council study session at the Council Chambers, 255 W. Alameda St. All Rio Nuevo priorities have shifted to these TCC projects. The Tucson Origins museum complex was pushed aside in February by the City Council with a favorable nod from the Legislature. State lawmakers are poised to change the composition of the Rio Nuevo board to have members appointed by the Legislature and governor rather than the city councils of Tucson and South Tucson.

The TCC hotel project has reached the end of its pre-development phase. The Garfield Traub team has come up with a concept design, a preliminary budget, a capital plan and a pro forma income statement. Construction is expected to start in March 2010, with the hotel opening in June 2012, Moffett said. The hotel was downscaled from 707 to 525 rooms after Garfield Traub submitted its first proposal in June 2007. Moffett said the smaller hotel resulted from the city cutting back the TCC expansion to just the first phase, adding 33,000 square feet of exhibition space and 30,000 feet of meeting space to the west end of the TCC.

The $167 million hotel price is based on the TCC expansion and the anticipated room rates and occupancy. The average daily room rate is forecast at $138 the first year and $180 the fifth year. Occupancy is projected at 58 percent in the first year and 72 percent in the fifth year, according to Garfield Traub's predevelopment agreement report. The city planned to pay for the hotel with a revenue bond separate from Rio Nuevo tax increment financing, but now that TCC projects are the predominant Rio Nuevo work, TIF bonds likely will come into play, said Jaret Barr, assistant to the city manager. Moffett believes the bond market will improve substantially by the time the city goes bond shopping. "If we were (ready to build the hotel) today, we might have a problem," Moffett said. "We're probably in a perfect place today because we're not going to the bond market for eight, nine, 10 months."

Moffett believes the TCC hotel is the key to downtown revitalization. "I've been in the business a long time," he said. "This kind of development can trigger explosive growth in the construction area. Dynamic growth happens naturally." Garfield Traub plans to open an unbranded 303-room hotel in Lubbock, Texas, in June and a 500-room Sheraton in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in November. The firm is at a similar design stage as in Tucson for a 600-room Westin in Portland, Ore.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 5:17 AM

TCC to get $3 million entry work
It must be finished before construction can begin on hotel, garage on hotel, other projects
By Andrea Kelly
ARIZONA DAILY STAR

Construction of a $3 million entry on the east side of the Tucson Convention Center could begin as early as Oct. 1 to make room for a hotel on the southwest side of the complex. The new entrance must be done before work can start on a $240 million Sheraton hotel, parking garage and Convention Center expansion to be built by Garfield Traub Development. The hotel is supposed to include 525 rooms and 35,000 square feet of meeting space attached to an expanded Convention Center exhibit area. The parking garage is slated for 1,160 spaces. The City Council is expected to approve the master development agreement for the project Tuesday. The agreement says Garfield Traub would also get a fee of 3.5 percent of the total project budget. A memo from City Manager Mike Letcher says the parking garage estimate of $33.2 million is high because of "extraordinary site and design issues." He said it could end up costing less. The additional exhibition space could be reduced by about 15 percent to reduce costs too, Letcher said in the memo.

The city plans to get a guaranteed maximum price for the project from the developer. The project would likely be paid for with bonds to be repaid by future hotel and Convention Center revenue. That bond financing cannot be done now, but the Rio Nuevo Multipurpose Facilities District hopes to sell the bonds by the time construction on the main hotel and meeting-space expansion begins next spring, according Letcher's memo. In a presentation to the City Council last week, project staff said they hope the city puts the 6 percent hotel-tax revenues from this property into paying off the bond. Another 2 percent surcharge could be added to the taxes charged at the hotel for debt service, said Stephen Moffett, president of the Garfield Traub hospitality division. That surcharge would put Tucson's city-run hotel at the national average for hotel taxes, Moffett said. "The hotel would have to be significantly underperforming before it wouldn't be able to cover the debt," he said last week. However, outgoing Rio Nuevo Director Greg Shelko emphasized last week the financial plan for the project isn't nailed down. "None of us can tell you the final form of the financing yet," he said. Councilman Steve Leal said he was comfortable with the plans. "I don't think we're settling," he said.

The hotel design will incorporate rocks, water and light to make it reflect a "sense of place" in Tucson, said Ken Martin, principal in DLR Group, the architecture firm for the project. Councilwoman Nina Trasoff said she thought the project showed a sensitivity to the community, but she wondered whether the hotel would be successful right when it opens. Other Sheraton hotels will start advertising the new Tucson hotel as soon as construction starts, said Hoyt Harper. "We'll sell the newness," he said. Councilwoman Shirley Scott also questioned the occupancy estimates and said the project is "a very ambitious and exciting move." If the city cancels the project because it is "neither legally nor economically feasible," it would owe the developer all costs to date on the project, according to the master development agreement. If the city cancels the project without cause, it would owe the developer all costs to date and would be prohibited from entering another agreement with another developer for one year, the agreement says.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 4:03 PM

A couple of shots I took yesterday of downtown Tucson:

--don

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 4:22 PM

where? i don't see it??? oh, you mean those tiny little buildings lol. seriously, nice pics don as usual. i can make fun of tucson cuz i was born there and, well, it deserves it

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 4:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
where? i don't see it??? oh, you mean those tiny little buildings lol. seriously, nice pics don as usual. i can make fun of tucson cuz i was born there and, well, it deserves it
Go soak in that "wet heat"!

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 9:27 AM

Now if they could just get those few blocks filled between downtown and the University, then you've got yourself a real cityscape and AZ's first real pedestrian urban area.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 5:00 AM

Proposed nearly four years ago but on hold until completion of the new 4th Ave. underpass, Plaza Centro will provide more density and residential housing on the east end of downtown:

Plans for lots near Fourth Avenue underpass take shape
by TEYA VITU
Tucson Citizen

Forty-two months is the milestone date for the Plaza Centro project at the east end of downtown, as described in the city development agreement with developer Jim Campbell. In those 3 1/2 years, the city pledges to design and build a roughly 375-space parking garage, while Campbell gets his 2.47-acre residential-and-commercial project ready to start construction as soon as the garage is finished. Campbell, president of OasisTucson, a local development company, proposes to build 100 to 150 residential units targeted toward university students and 40,000 square feet of commercial space on two plots of land bisected by Congress Street. One lot is the former Greyhound lot just east of the Rialto Theatre and the other is across Congress just south of the Fourth Avenue underpass.

The City Council scrutinized the project in a Tuesday study session, with formal approval of the development agreement expected May 19. Either the city or Campbell can terminate the contract if the 42-month tasks are not completed. However, the agreement spells out that Campbell "will not be deemed to be in breach . . . if developer is unable to secure financing . . . on commercially reasonable terms" as long as he resolves financing within two years of the garage's completion. Campbell would pay the appraised value for the land, which an appraiser will determine in the next 90 days. There is no preliminary inkling what the land is worth, said Lou Ginsberg, the city's real estate program director. The three-level garage would cost an estimated $3.5 million to $5 million and would potentially be funded with a revenue bond, City Attorney Mike Rankin and ParkWise coordinator Chris Leighton said.

Council members Regina Romero and Karin Uhlich were concerned about spending money on a public garage as the city is wrestling with a huge budget deficit. "I think it's proper to have a Plan B for that garage," Romero said. City Manager Mike Letcher, Leighton and the City Attorney's Office will meet in the coming week to determine the financial feasibility of the garage. "If it doesn't pencil out, we don't build a garage," Assistant City Attorney Chris Avery said. Leighton said in an interview that a 2004 parking study revealed that downtown has a shortage of about 1,000 spaces east of Stone Avenue and north of Broadway.

Campbell expects to invest $25 million to build three four-story housing structures - two on the Greyhound plot and one atop the garage - with a variety of commercial space on street level that could include a gym, retail, services and an Underpass Cafe. There would be walkways along all three sides, Campbell said. The Plaza Centro project has been in the works for nearly four years, but has been on hold while the neighboring Fourth Avenue underpass was under construction. In the meantime, Campbell was part of the brief life of the Downtown Tucson Development Co., which brought together financier Scott Stiteler, Williams & Dame Development and Campbell to master plan east downtown development from Sixth Street to Armory Park. The partnership collapsed within two months earlier this year, Williams & Dame left town, and Stiteler and Campbell are independently negotiating development agreements. Stiteler's involves Depot Plaza and its One North Fifth Apartments, the Rialto Block and the Ronstadt Transit Center. "We could not come to terms on how we could work together," Campbell said.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 5:05 AM

City OKs deal for $167 million convention center hotel
by TEYA VITU
Tucson Citizen

The TCC hotel is on. The City Council, with an "absolutely" from Councilwoman Nina Trasoff and "yeah" from Mayor Bob Walkup unanimously approved a development agreement Tuesday for a 525-room, 25-story Sheraton Tucson Convention Center Hotel. "We're coming here to build an astounding hotel edifice," Trasoff said. Garfield Traub Development is the hotel developer. Schematic design work will start this month, with construction of a new east-side main entrance for the TCC set to start in September. The hotel will be built where TCC's grand lobby is now. Construction is to start at the TCC's west lobby in March 2010.

The $239 million hotel, TCC expansion and parking garage project has become a priority for the city as it tries to save Rio Nuevo from the Legislature's budget ax. Focusing on the TCC complex came at the expense of the Tucson Origins museum complex on the West Side. "I want to make sure we do not forget many of the things voters approved in 1999," said Councilwoman Regina Romero. "We also have a cultural complex that the people of Tucson voted for." Councilwoman Karin Uhlich urged fiscal caution during economic hard times. The estimated $167 million hotel will be funded with a tax-exempt revenue bond, and certificates of participation will likely pay for the $39 million TCC expansion and $33 million garage, Rio Nuevo director Greg Shelko said.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 5:22 AM
Todo para la familia

Two great posts Kaneui. So the hotel is a-coming after all. And what the hell is up with Plaza Centro? I had forgotten all about that. Hopefully these projects along with the depot plaza project are a good start of signs of these to come. I would love to 44 broadway start up again too.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbahn View Post
Now if they could just get those few blocks filled between downtown and the University, then you've got yourself a real cityscape and AZ's first real pedestrian urban area.
In terms of skyscrapers?

In terms of a more urban, pedestrian-oriented environment, the foundation already exists - 4th Avenue. Though there are voids here and there, 4th Ave already is one of the liveliest stretches of roadway in Arizona, let alone Tucson (in terms of pedestrian activity). You can easily walk between the majority of the downtown area, up 4th Ave, and over to the main gates of UofA. With the trolley, especially - it's not that far, and or lacking in user-friendliness.

Also, in short matter of time, it will progressively get better. Once the new 4th Avenue underpass is completed, and the modern streetcar line is fully operational, there will be no excuse not to ditch the automobile between, say, the Congress Street area of downtown Tucson (at least), and UofA. It may not show on the skyline, but that swath between the two main bookends, is already the urban heart of Tucson.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:48 PM

I like to think the smaller "urban" areas around the state are quite a bit ahead of the larger urban areas in terms of pedestrianism. Flagstaff, Prescott, Bisbee, etc. are already years ahead of Phoenix (the city destroyed itself, removing much of it's older building stock) or Tucson (aside from the college area/4th avenue, there are a few breaks, as mentioned, as well as a lack of shops and restaurants and things to do downtown).

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 8:36 PM

The hotel, which has fallen into disrepair, has been closed now for more than three years.
The current structure dates to 1972.
(photo: Dean Knuth)

Santa Rita could be torn down for new TEP building
By Andrea Kelly
ARIZONA DAILY STAR

The Santa Rita Hotel, a Downtown landmark, could be demolished to make way for a new Tucson Electric Power Company office building. Company officials confirmed Friday they have a conditional purchase contract on the hotel, at East Broadway and South Scott Avenue, which has been vacant for more than three years. Santa Rita Hotel owner Humberto Lopez also said the property is under contract, but he said he could not say anything more because of a confidentiality agreement related to the contract.

The Santa Rita is one of several sites TEP has considered to relocate from its current headquarters in the Unisource Building at 1 S. Church Ave., scarcely over a block from the Santa Rita. TEP spokesman Joseph Barrios said the conditional contract was required to do some further investigation before a final decision is made on the purchase. The contract gives the company a chance to look at the site in more detail than someone with a passing interest, though he said the company's interest in the site is preliminary. "It would be premature to conclude anything, to say that we are going to buy the property. We have questions, and we're collecting information so that we can get the answers that we need before we make a decision as to whether or not to purchase it," he said.

The company doesn't want to get anyone's hopes up about the company redeveloping a Downtown site, Barrios said. "We don't want to raise any false hopes that we are definitely going to build Downtown. Building there may have issues as any number of sites might have. It would be a big investment for us and before we commit to a location we would have to thoroughly look at all options." He did not identify any other possible sites, other than to say that staying in the current location remains a possibility.

Lopez bought the hotel in 1979. It was closed in late 2005 for a planned $40 million renovation into condos, retail, restaurant space and parking. Those plans fell through in 2007, and Lopez said he planned to turn it back into a boutique hotel. Though the property isn't registered on the National Register of Historic Places, it does have historical significance, Tucson-Pima County Historical Commission member Gerald Juliani said. While taking no position specifically on the Santa Rita, Juliani said it is the philosophy of the commission to try to avoid demolition of historical properties. In addition to the founding location for the Mountain Oyster Club, the hotel was a social venue, a place to be seen, Juliani said. "The rooftop garden was a favorite place to take a date for dancing," he said, recalling the atmosphere at the hotel in the 1940s through the 1960s. The hotel was a premier place to stay for those who could afford it, Juliani said.

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 10:07 PM
this could have been...

kaneui, can u plz clarify this?

is the Santa Rita made up of 2 bldgs, 1 from '72 and 1 from the 30s or 40s?

the photo tag states the hotel was built in 1972, and the article refers to older times, which is what i thought was the building era.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIXPHX77 View Post
kaneui, can u plz clarify this?

is the Santa Rita made up of 2 bldgs, 1 from '72 and 1 from the 30s or 40s?

the photo tag states the hotel was built in 1972, and the article refers to older times, which is what i thought was the building era.

Here's some additional info. from a sidebar in the same Daily Star article:

DID YOU KNOW
The 100-room Santa Rita Hotel was built in 1904 on land donated by the city. Fifty rooms were added in 1917.

In 1903, the year before the Santa Rita even officially opened, the Arizona Daily Star called it "The most beautiful hotel in the Arizona Territory."

The hotel was demolished and rebuilt in 1972.

It is remembered for its attraction of movie stars and other famous people, back when Downtown was "the" place to be — and for having gone through a succession of ownership and name changes during the latter half of its life. In addition to some of its high-profile guests, the Santa Rita was host to several well-known community organizations. The Mountain Oyster Club was founded at the hotel in 1948. The hotel was also the headquarters of the Tucson Press Club from 1956 to 1962.

Also, a link to a 1950 photo of the historic hotel that was demolished: http://azmemory.lib.az.us/cdm4/item_...ISOBOX=1&REC=4

Last edited by kaneui; May 17, 2009 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 8:23 AM
this could have been...

Thanks Kaneui. well, now i don't feel so bad if it gets demolished.
but, i'd still rather see it renovated/re-done and have TEP build something on a vacant lot downtown.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 6:48 PM

Well I do feel sad about this.

The Star article is (intentionally?) misleading... it is not true that the old hotel was entirely demolished in 1972. The original 1904 portion was torn down but the 1917 addition - at the right in the historic photo in the above link - was retained and given a new facade. The architect, Henty Trost began his career working with Louis Sullivan and later became Tucson's first formally trained architect. He later moved to El Paso and his office (Trost & Trost) worked throughout the Southwest. Among the firm's specialties was hotels and he designed many of the region's most prominent examples ... the Gadsden in Douglas, AZ, the Paseo Del Norte in El Paso, the now demolished Franciscan Hotel in Albuquerque and many others. The Santa Rita helped build Trost's reputation as a hotel designer and was Tucson's first modern tourist hotel. It played an important part in helping to establish the city as a center of tourism.

The local news mentioned that the Tucson-Pima County Historical Commission wants to save the remaining portion of the original hotel building but has its hands tied due to the alterations to the original facade. They think it would be possible to restore the original facade as was the intention in the previous plan for the site. A restored Santa Rita in some form would do more for downtown at that location than a TEP HQ that could easily go elsewhere.

So, my point is that it would be a loss if the Santa Rita was demolished but it seems that Tucson hasn't learned much since 1972.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 9:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbahn View Post
You can not be serious right?

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrblue21 View Post
Well I do feel sad about this.

The Star article is (intentionally?) misleading... it is not true that the old hotel was entirely demolished in 1972. The original 1904 portion was torn down but the 1917 addition - at the right in the historic photo in the above link - was retained and given a new facade. The architect, Henty Trost began his career working with Louis Sullivan and later became Tucson's first formally trained architect. He later moved to El Paso and his office (Trost & Trost) worked throughout the Southwest. Among the firm's specialties was hotels and he designed many of the region's most prominent examples ... the Gadsden in Douglas, AZ, the Paseo Del Norte in El Paso, the now demolished Franciscan Hotel in Albuquerque and many others. The Santa Rita helped build Trost's reputation as a hotel designer and was Tucson's first modern tourist hotel. It played an important part in helping to establish the city as a center of tourism.

The local news mentioned that the Tucson-Pima County Historical Commission wants to save the remaining portion of the original hotel building but has its hands tied due to the alterations to the original facade. They think it would be possible to restore the original facade as was the intention in the previous plan for the site. A restored Santa Rita in some form would do more for downtown at that location than a TEP HQ that could easily go elsewhere.

So, my point is that it would be a loss if the Santa Rita was demolished but it seems that Tucson hasn't learned much since 1972.

Thanks for the clarification on the Santa Rita--even perusing some marketing photos taken by the hotel a few years back, it certainly looks as though parts of the structure predate 1972.

And speaking of Henry Trost, it was only a few years ago that I discovered that my grandparent's former long-time residence in Bisbee was a Trost design, which was thankfully bought and restored by architectural restorer/sculptor Rob Boucher (http://www.rwboucher.com/Portfolio01/index.html), who has also worked on numerous projects in Tucson and southern Arizona.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest