HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technical View Post
Good info, southtucsonboy77. Thanks for sharing. Arena and a new convention center is needed downtown, I agree. A nice hotel. I don't mind an Aquarium myself. It doesn't have to be gigantic. I'd bet it would be popular in this desert city. Pretty much everything you ask for I agree it should be in Tucson.

So much missing in this city. It's just amazing it doesn't even have a crosstown freeway.
I'm not sure more convention centers are needed or if Tucson can afford to run one after reading this:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/pol...-centers/2210/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 2:06 AM
Stay thirsty my friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I'm not sure more convention centers are needed or if Tucson can afford to run one after reading this:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/pol...-centers/2210/
Hmmm, in that case, let's just build an Aquarium, IMAX 3D, a handful of those mixed use buildings that look like the links i posted before (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...Hall_Tower.JPG) and that Rainbow Bridge. I'm bored as heck in this place.

Maybe add a nice long plaza by the Santa Cruz river facing in front of a free standing tower.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, in that case, let's just build an Aquarium, IMAX 3D, a handful of those mixed use buildings that look like the links i posted before (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...Hall_Tower.JPG) and that Rainbow Bridge. I'm bored as heck in this place.

Maybe add a nice long plaza by the Santa Cruz river facing in front of a free standing tower.
Mixed use and residential is the key (especially along the streetcar line). Retail follows rooftops.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 3:12 AM
Stay thirsty my friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Mixed use and residential is the key (especially along the streetcar line). Retail follows rooftops.
Yeah, looks like that's the best and safe route in the current economy. As soon as there's enough people density, those other exciting expensive stuff will follow. Hopefully, more brand name retails would jump in downtown. I hear Tucson is city of unrealistic whiners. So, hopefully, they won't complain if a Kentucky Fried Chicken or a JC Penny moves in downtown.

Although, I don't mind a nice Aquarium in one of those brand new hotels. I missed the view of a swimming fish

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 4:19 AM
Tucsonan

This is a great discussion and all but this all already happened 10 years ago. then Rio Nuevo happened, so anything that is familiar with that isnt going to happen.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 6:54 AM

The upcoming Plaza Centro student housing--next to the Rialto and atop the Centro Garage--is now called Cadence, and should be ready for UA students by August, 2013:

The Cadence student housing that will be built on the former Greyhound lot.
(renders: Oasis Tucson)

Student Housing Will Arise Next to Rialto Theatre
By Teya Vitu
Downtown Tucsonan
June 18, 2012

Joe Pagac murals on the Rialto Theatre wall delight drivers as they emerge from the Broadway underpass. Otherwise, there’s little to capture your attention other than the parking lot that has spread over the Broadway-Toole-Congress lot ever since the Greyhound station was razed in early 2006. That’s set to change before the Fourth of July. Get ready for some serious urban density that will create an instant Plaza Centro neighborhood with nearly 500 new residents at Downtown’s eastern edge. Imagine a six-story student housing structure stretching the length of the Rialto plus street-level retail.

Oasis Tucson President Jim Campbell has been getting ready since 2006 as he got the right of first refusal to develop the 2.47 acres of city-owned land on both sides of Toole Avenue between the Rialto and the railroad tracks. While we’ve see nothing but surface parking and, since September 2011, the four-level, 378-space Centro Garage, Campbell has visualized several urban village settings since long before the Downtown renaissance took hold. By the end of June, Campbell’s mental image will finally start to take shape on the former Greyhound lot and atop the Centro Garage.

Campbell’s partner, Capstone Development Partners of Birmingham, Ala., will start construction of a $33 million, 456-bed university student housing complex called “Cadence.” The name is a nod to the rhythm of the nearby railroad, the rhythm of the even nearer bicyclists and the rhythm of the music right next door and across the street. Capstone expects to have Cadence ready for University of Arizona students by August 2013. “It was clear to us when we looked at the Downtown property that Downtown was on the move,” said Bruce McKee, Capstone’s principal. “Just in the period we’ve been involved, things are changing in an extremely positive way. When we started, we said we were at the end of 4th Avenue. Now we say we’re at the end of Congress. You can sell Congress as a true amenity of Downtown.”

For full article: http://www.downtowntucson.org/2012/0...ialto-theatre/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
The upcoming Plaza Centro student housing--next to the Rialto and atop the Centro Garage--is now called Cadence, and should be ready for UA students by August, 2013:

The Cadence student housing that will be built on the former Greyhound lot.
(renders: Oasis Tucson)

Student Housing Will Arise Next to Rialto Theatre
By Teya Vitu
Downtown Tucsonan
June 18, 2012

Joe Pagac murals on the Rialto Theatre wall delight drivers as they emerge from the Broadway underpass. Otherwise, there’s little to capture your attention other than the parking lot that has spread over the Broadway-Toole-Congress lot ever since the Greyhound station was razed in early 2006. That’s set to change before the Fourth of July. Get ready for some serious urban density that will create an instant Plaza Centro neighborhood with nearly 500 new residents at Downtown’s eastern edge. Imagine a six-story student housing structure stretching the length of the Rialto plus street-level retail.

Oasis Tucson President Jim Campbell has been getting ready since 2006 as he got the right of first refusal to develop the 2.47 acres of city-owned land on both sides of Toole Avenue between the Rialto and the railroad tracks. While we’ve see nothing but surface parking and, since September 2011, the four-level, 378-space Centro Garage, Campbell has visualized several urban village settings since long before the Downtown renaissance took hold. By the end of June, Campbell’s mental image will finally start to take shape on the former Greyhound lot and atop the Centro Garage.

Campbell’s partner, Capstone Development Partners of Birmingham, Ala., will start construction of a $33 million, 456-bed university student housing complex called “Cadence.” The name is a nod to the rhythm of the nearby railroad, the rhythm of the even nearer bicyclists and the rhythm of the music right next door and across the street. Capstone expects to have Cadence ready for University of Arizona students by August 2013. “It was clear to us when we looked at the Downtown property that Downtown was on the move,” said Bruce McKee, Capstone’s principal. “Just in the period we’ve been involved, things are changing in an extremely positive way. When we started, we said we were at the end of 4th Avenue. Now we say we’re at the end of Congress. You can sell Congress as a true amenity of Downtown.”

For full article: http://www.downtowntucson.org/2012/0...ialto-theatre/
That's great except I liked the previous designs better. They reminded me of this:

In regards to all the great things we wish we had in Tucson, I guess were all going to have to wait until the streetcar is done, there are more people living downtown, and most of the projects are completed to get things snowballing. For the most part, to be successful you have to start from the bottom and then go up

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Yeah, looks like that's the best and safe route in the current economy. As soon as there's enough people density, those other exciting expensive stuff will follow. Hopefully, more brand name retails would jump in downtown. I hear Tucson is city of unrealistic whiners. So, hopefully, they won't complain if a Kentucky Fried Chicken or a JC Penny moves in downtown.

Although, I don't mind a nice Aquarium in one of those brand new hotels. I missed the view of a swimming fish
Watching fish swim is very much enjoyable! I visited the Bass Pro Shop in Mesa several months ago and they have a good but small aquarium with HUGE catfish and a pond system in their store! I thought that was pretty cool. But I also have been to the Sydney Aquarium which is really AMAZING. The best aquarium IMO so far, I don't think I have to visit any other to compare...But everyone enjoys aquariums and I wouldn't mind one in Tucson!

BTW, UA campus has a turtle pond and if you haven't seen it, it is really nice. It's small but there's a lot of turtles in it and they like to "tan" in the sun which makes them fun to watch.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 9:09 AM
Tucsonan

Those renderings look awesome, and im digging the new name, a lot better sounding i think.

although i do find it interesting that all the developments downtown are rather short, 4-9 floors tends to be whats built, where as the Main Gate is getting a lot of 10-14 floor buildings.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 12:29 PM
Stay thirsty my friends

Well guys (and gals?), thanks for the heads up.

AndrewSaturn, they don't make buildings like they use to. Man, I can't get my eyes off this tower, http://carnegiehalltower.com/ .

I guess, like you said, we're gonna have to go from the bottom up. Hopefully, when more density gets brewed up downtown, much nicer buildings gets built by developers. Yeah, let's keep the ball rolling. We can always tear down the new and ugly ones (bottom) later and build a nicer one (up), if you know what i mean

An Aquarium with electric eels would be nice to watch along with some brewski at hand.

stay thirsty

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
Those renderings look awesome, and im digging the new name, a lot better sounding i think.

although i do find it interesting that all the developments downtown are rather short, 4-9 floors tends to be whats built, where as the Main Gate is getting a lot of 10-14 floor buildings.
Just as long something gets built there...I'll be happy. The statement in the article: "In the past year, the Capstone team rethought plopping an 11-story tower in a 1910s environment. McKee acknowledged “it was pretty harsh” and there was a “certain skepticism” from the public for the tower..." is what is wrong with the developments in downtown Tucson, or Tucson in general. I originally heard (from a good source) that the 11 story towers were scaled down due to financing. IF financing was not the issue and they "scaled it down to the adjoining neighborhood" due to skepticism from the public (first time I've heard this), then where is downtown? Broadway/Congress/Toole isn't downtown? and developers have to concern themselves with public (neighborhood) skepticism on height, scale, and aesthetics in downtown? Ridiculous!!!

Anyhow, hopefully in the near future as we see these "towers" (lol) rise we'll be happy with the aesthetics and be overjoyed to not see a paved parking lot. Some density is better than no density!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
This is actually the Bryant Bannister Tree-Ring Building.

http://ltrr.arizona.edu/building

This is the Environment & Natural Resources Building.

http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/enr2/
Thank you for the correction, got confused.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 12:25 AM

I drove by the aLoft project today. They have some renderings posted up on the construction fence. I'd have taken a picture but I was driving south and in the right lane. Anyway, their website has some similar shots:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofth..._section_1Link

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 6:53 AM

Floor plan I found for Cadence. If you zoom in by using your browser, you can try and make out what it says but it is still hard to read the fine print.

source: http://downtowntucson.tucsonnewsnow....rialto-theatre

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 8:01 PM
Tucsonan

Interesting, I looked up the architects for the project, Ankrom Moisan, and they have nothing for Centro on their website but they have a master plan for downtown on it.

http://www.amaa.com/portfolio/projec...NoPVR1Y3NvbiMx

(notice Downtown Links Roadway)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 12:36 AM

At first when I heard about Plaza Centro it was a set of two towers both 11 and 12 stories high, with a cool crossroads design, but now it looks more like a disappointment for that lot. A 6 story building downtown belongs east of the railroad tracks. The lot that plaza centro is is would have been good for an 100 story building.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Just as long something gets built there...I'll be happy. The statement in the article: "In the past year, the Capstone team rethought plopping an 11-story tower in a 1910s environment. McKee acknowledged “it was pretty harsh” and there was a “certain skepticism” from the public for the tower..." is what is wrong with the developments in downtown Tucson, or Tucson in general. I originally heard (from a good source) that the 11 story towers were scaled down due to financing. IF financing was not the issue and they "scaled it down to the adjoining neighborhood" due to skepticism from the public (first time I've heard this), then where is downtown? Broadway/Congress/Toole isn't downtown? and developers have to concern themselves with public (neighborhood) skepticism on height, scale, and aesthetics in downtown? Ridiculous!!!

Anyhow, hopefully in the near future as we see these "towers" (lol) rise we'll be happy with the aesthetics and be overjoyed to not see a paved parking lot. Some density is better than no density!
When you buy a home downtown, don't go crying when a new skyscraper comes up, and Tucson is a modern city. Our skyline should not be limited to 1910 themes, in fact our city should require 2020 building themes.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 12:58 PM
Stay thirsty my friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
When you buy a home downtown, don't go crying when a new skyscraper comes up, and Tucson is a modern city. Our skyline should not be limited to 1910 themes, in fact our city should require 2020 building themes.
I like your Copacabana attitude! Keep and renovate the NICE and old historic buildings but build modern futuristic skyscrapers. A mix of old history and Buck Rogers new. Think of NICE looking skyscrapers with a handful of western saloons in between them, now I'd dance (and ) with that!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
Ritarancher, are you agreeing with me or scolding me???

To clarify, I AGREE with you...I'm not happy with the 6 stories either, that's why I think calling these buildings "towers" is a joke. Secondly, I was complaining about the fact that there was so-called "skepticism" from the public and/or neighborhood and therefore, it was a reasoning to scale this building back and "blend" in. I think that is ridiculous, especially for Broadway, Toole, and Congress.

HOWEVER, being a Tucsonan all my life...witnessing the failures of Rio Nuevo, the failed developments, the NIMBYs, and the Wildcats never reaching the Rose Bowl, I'm looking at the current vacant lot and I'm in the mindset of, "Sh**, a 6 story building is better than nothing." That's how I felt when we got invited and won the Las Vegas Bowl. But don't get me wrong, I'm trying to think positive. These are positive baby steps for Tucson (that's what I've been trying to convince myself). I'm just as frustrated as everyone else.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 5:03 PM
Stay thirsty my friends

An article about the El Conquistador Hotel and the El Con Mall, http://azstarnet.com/news/local/orig...9bb2963f4.html .

Does anyone know why Tucson have to destroy the El Conquistador Hotel and replaced with that El Con Mall? That hotel would have been a nice place to cha cha and tango!

Edit:

I'm changing my comment about restoring the Indian Village Trading Post downtown. I don't think it deserves to even exist downtown. That building deserves the wrecking ball. It deserves a modern skyscraper or similar to andrewsaturn's 1st photo above. Doesn't deserve to keep that little eyesore besides a future high rise (?).

As for 'Cadence' , it's a disgrace to build that 1970's architecture on that prime spot. It should be something like andrewsaturn's first photo above. It looks nicer to have a tall building (10-20) floors on that spot. Imagine yourself driving from east Broadway approaching that building. Cadence should be renamed more southwestern like American Pueblo Post. Cadence sounds too whimpy. Adding a clock tower and covering with vines (with leaves, of course) may help.

As for that new TEP building downtown, an extra 5-10 floors would be nice plus removing those protruding horizontal lines by the glass windows help make it look more serious. The TEP building looks like a fat kid laying on his back sunbathing.

The Rialto and Old Chicago needs to add more floors above it. The other building besides the Old Chicago store either have to replaced with several modern high rise or a replica of early 1900's building similar to this, http://carnegiehalltower.com/ . Same goes with that block across it (across the bus terminal). That bus terminal needs to have a nice wavy glass roof above it and a clock tower.

Tucson needs to stop building those bland 60's/70's architectures. That El Conquistador Hotel should have been saved. I'm scratching my head why would someone destroy "Tucson's Grandest Hotel" .

Here we go, got this figured out..andrewsaturn's building

Keep editing this: should the sleaze bag developer of Cadence () refuse to build a clock tower, maybe the Rialto would obliged . Add the US flag on top of it.
And something like this,

instead a stagecoach with cowboys and indians at the bottom of the clock tower (on top of the roof of Rialto)

Last edited by technical; Jun 22, 2012 at 2:22 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest