HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Whatever happened to finishing this plan?

I mean, the only portion that is different from that plan is where the existing 50’s era office building is, but they did manage to integrate it nicely. At least for now. Other than that it’s basically been built as planned.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
I mean, the only portion that is different from that plan is where the existing 50’s era office building is, but they did manage to integrate it nicely. At least for now. Other than that it’s basically been built as planned.
And what ever happened to the 2002 Olympic Medals Plaza Cauldron? It was supposed to find a permanent home somewhere on the Capitol grounds. I think in the southwest area? I'll have to see if I can dig up the news article..

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post

This plan was created LONG after the 50’s era building was built. I believe it was created in 2000 and they said it would take 20 years to implement...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
This plan was created LONG after the 50’s era building was built. I believe it was created in 2000 and they said it would take 20 years to implement...
Yes, I was saying that the only major portion yet to be completed is the replacement of the remaining 50's building, and that it was integrated nicely for the interim period.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 12:01 PM

Just as a reminder, here's a picture of the office building before and one after the integration. Fortunately, the older office building design was simplistic enough that it was not a stretch to clean it up. The new window treatment and sheathing
in higher quality materials turned out really well. Many Capitol complexes if not all have had to add office space on their historic campuses. Many of these additions are horribly tacky and out of massing perspective when compared to their original campus.

http://utahcfa.org/wp-content/upload...2012.00253.jpg

https://dfcm.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/IMG_0487.jpg

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 11:19 PM

Thanks delts145, I didn’t realize they had done any renovations on those offices. They look pretty good for now, but I would eventually like the building to be replaced though, and the only reason I’m concerned is because it obstructs the view of the complex from Ensign Peak.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 2:11 PM

A back-hoe is currently on the Tower 8 sight (inside the fences) wreaking havoc!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 4:53 PM

I'm wondering how much inspiration they got for the new pair of small north visitors centers from the original temple annex?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 5:24 PM

Rumblings I've heard...CityWeekly and eBorn books are being evicted from their building on 254 Main. Sounds like they're emptying the building of tenants in a few weeks.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
Rumblings I've heard...CityWeekly and eBorn books are being evicted from their building on 254 Main. Sounds like they're emptying the building of tenants in a few weeks.
Keys On Main, as well, I assume?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 6:44 PM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
I will never understand why we are kicking out long term tenants in order to knock down buildings in order to build other buildings when we have literal blocks of surface parking in our downtown core. I just don't understand.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 10:17 PM

Wait what? What's going on at 254 Main? That's one of the best areas of downtown! I'm going to be pissed if they are tearing out existing businesses in the heart of one of the most vibrant areas (one of the few vibrant areas) of downtown SLC.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
A back-hoe is currently on the Tower 8 sight (inside the fences) wreaking havoc!
I took some pictures yesterday, almost forgot to post them.

100 South in front of Harmons:

The Social Hall Museum has been surrounded by construction:

I'm not quite sure exactly what they're dong to Social Hall Avenue, but it looks like pretty extensive digging is occurring:

The most exciting part - the backhoe beginning the excavation!

Sorry for the glare on some of these images. My lowly phone camera doesn't do well with the wet surfaces and glare from the Sun.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Wait what? What's going on at 254 Main? That's one of the best areas of downtown! I'm going to be pissed if they are tearing out existing businesses in the heart of one of the most vibrant areas (one of the few vibrant areas) of downtown SLC.
I doubt they are tearing any of those buildings down. The owner is probably just replacing tenants.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I doubt they are tearing any of those buildings down. The owner is probably just replacing tenants.
If they are going to tear it down, I wouldn't mind either though. If you look at the building itself, it is rather ugly. The area I would really like to see torn down on Main Street is between the Judge Building (300S) and the Boston/Newhouse Buildings. All those 1 floor buildings should be demolished to make way for a more prominent, taller building. I'd also like to see the 'Melting Pot' across the street demolished and turned into a tower.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 4:00 AM

I think you are thinking of the block further south. 254 South main, where Keys on Main is, is a very nice historic looking building with great storefronts.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 4:28 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
If they are going to tear it down, I wouldn't mind either though. If you look at the building itself, it is rather ugly. The area I would really like to see torn down on Main Street is between the Judge Building (300S) and the Boston/Newhouse Buildings. All those 1 floor buildings should be demolished to make way for a more prominent, taller building. I'd also like to see the 'Melting Pot' across the street demolished and turned into a tower.
Ugly?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I feel just as alarmed as you. What's going on?! That's a great building.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
I just find this view so outlandish that I go into conspiracy mode when I see the person floating this idea only has 30 something posts to their name.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Ugly?

It's absolutely beautiful, historic, and ties us to our past.

You can see the building here in the center:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/det...reet+salt+lake

And here on the left:

And here on the left:

And here on the left:

And here center:

Last edited by Old&New; Apr 23, 2019 at 5:30 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West