HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 8:25 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Me, too. That was by far my favorite project of the last decade to go unbuilt. T. Stacy was never a realistic option, and the design was never really nailed in stone so we don't really "know" what it would have looked like, but the version that curved and expanded was up there as well in "too bad that didn't happen"s.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm still wincing from the 21C tower at 3rd & Brazos not getting built. That was a really great project. Nice height, too, 580 feet with 44 floors. Too bad.

Their redesign at the 2nd location wasn't too shabby either.

21C Would've been the best damn building. Oh well....Still sticking to my guns on The Bowie being the best looking new one U/C

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 2:23 PM

Marriott Progress

Anyone know when the Marriotte should top out? They seem to be about 2 floors from the top, or is it more?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 2:29 PM

It's real close. Someone in another thread said January. I hope they keep the webcam for a while so we can watch the Colorado tower rise.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 2:44 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Me, too. That was by far my favorite project of the last decade to go unbuilt. T. Stacy was never a realistic option, and the design was never really nailed in stone so we don't really "know" what it would have looked like, but the version that curved and expanded was up there as well in "too bad that didn't happen"s.
My favorite failed project of this decade so far is the Planetarium tower. That design would have been world class in our skyline.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
My favorite failed project of this decade so far is the Planetarium tower. That design would have been world class in our skyline.
I agree. But I think the Planetarium Tower was more like an unfunded dream a la T. Stacy, while 21c seemed like a go pre-recession.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I agree. But I think the Planetarium Tower was more like an unfunded dream a la T. Stacy, while 21c seemed like a go pre-recession.
yeah, if only they would've waited a few years. 21c could've been the best new hotel project in Austin.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 4:38 AM

Speaking of the 21c, looks like OKC is getting one. I am surprised that they are not still looking at Austin, be it in a much more limited scale. It seems like their brand and style would fit in with the emerging boutique hotels in Austin.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomi View Post
Speaking of the 21c, looks like OKC is getting one. I am surprised that they are not still looking at Austin, be it in a much more limited scale. It seems like their brand and style would fit in with the emerging boutique hotels in Austin.
Yeah, all the cool hotels I wanted to see happen fell though. Imagine if 21c, 416 Congress and Hotel "ONE" had happened!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 6:41 AM
Meh

Yeah, I pretty much don't have a "favorite" among the new hotels, except for the W, but it's part condos also. Hotels to me are almost utilitarian in appearance. Hotels really only have one kind of structural appearance. A large podium area for an amenity deck with the tower rising above it. At least now days that seems to be the case unless it's some small budget hotel or a boutique hotel. Because of the needs of a hotel the buildings can't be very flexible in their structural designs.

Anyway, the skyline looked nice tonight. We went to the Trail of Lights. I gotta say, our skyline is looking great. We parked at the Westgate shopping center and took the bus to Lamar & Barton Springs. There was a woman on the bus commenting on how gorgeous the skyline has gotten. She was commenting on that because as we were passing the park over the river the bus driver turned off the interior lights in the bus so we could see the park. The view of the park with the Christmas lights, plus the moon up in the sky and the skyline rising behind was really pretty. My brother was also saying that our skyline is really starting to look impressive.

And I gotta say, one of the things I look forward to the most when a new building is finished is seeing what the lighting design will be. I really think so far that most of the new buildings have had pretty subtle lighting designs. Sure, there's the Frost Bank Tower and The Monarch with pretty spectacular designs, and I guess AMLI on 3rd that is pretty intense, but most of the others are pretty low-key. I sort of like that actually. I really love the look of a skyline filled with towers with lights on inside the buildings. With all the new residential buildings Austin's skyline is starting to get that look. The skyline looked particularly nice tonight peaking out through the trees contributing to the Christmas lights in the park. Spring, the W and 360 tonight especially had my attention.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 2:20 PM
Old West Austin

Cirrus Logic

FYI, it was dark, but I think I saw an excavator tearing down the old Aquarelle restaurant last night. Perhaps Cirrus Logic is getting started with their new building on 7th street across from 7Rio.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 3:43 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestAustinite View Post
FYI, it was dark, but I think I saw an excavator tearing down the old Aquarelle restaurant last night. Perhaps Cirrus Logic is getting started with their new building on 7th street across from 7Rio.
The emerging projects poster from October does list Cirrus as Under Construction.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 7:25 PM

They're also starting the 4 story building at the base of 360 in a few weeks. I WANT RENDERS! Anyone???

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
They're also starting the 4 story building at the base of 360 in a few weeks. I WANT RENDERS! Anyone???
Agreed! We want food, I mean pictures!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 11:54 PM
Old West Austin

New library renderings

Some updated photos of the library http://austinist.com/2013/12/19/look...ings_of_th.php

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 11:30 PM

So it turns out that the next building in Austin to "break ground" (so to speak) is this beauty:

Yep, work has started. It's all boarded up.

Edit: Added second rendering. Not sure which one is newer. I'm guessing/hoping the second one.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
So it turns out that the next building in Austin to "break ground" (so to speak) is this beauty:

Yep, work has started. It's all boarded up.
I sense some sarcasm. But the Fairmont is only 2-6 weeks away (we hope) from breaking ground!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 11:40 PM

I really like the building. I just wish it were in the southwest corner of downtown by the Cirrus Logic campus, rather than on Congress.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 11:48 PM

I don't mind it too much. It's lazy and uninspired but it will add to the street environment on Congress. It's drastically better than what's there now. Walking that side of Congress will be quite a different experience when this and the JW Marriott are finished (I'm guessing right around the same time).

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 3:16 AM

From looking at this picture, I can envision the Westin right behind it. If the project turns out looking like this, it should help blend in with everything else around it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations