HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 7:30 AM
Exit 298

I was a Rocky hater. Whereas, I really like Becker. I could see voting for him ... if I lived in Salt Lake City.

He reminds me of Gov. Huntsman --- a guy who does a good job keeping everyone happy and not letting the voters polarize into bickering factions.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 1:24 PM

Agreed 215, Salt Lake City is in great hands for this coming decade.

Speaking of great leadership, it looks like uber-developer Talisker has every intention of taking the Park City Area in general and the Canyons Resort specifically to the top of the heap in the ski industry. This new hire is a huge coup for the future of the metro's resort development.

Talisker hires private golf and ski club expert

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_3555691?source=most_viewed

...Thompson has lived in Colorado his entire life, he says, and has headed Vail Resorts Development, the company's real estate arm, for 17 years. During that time, Thompson oversaw Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone ski resorts, and helped redevelop Jackson Hole Golf and Tennis Club in Jackson Hole, Wyo., as well as the company's employee housing program...

...Already Thompson feels comfortable in Park City it reminds him of Vail five years ago, he says, though he believes real estate is going to "boom here even more."

While Vail fights Interstate 70, which runs right through its town, he finds Park City feels more like a town.

"Park City's got locals, and tourists and schools and it's got Main Street," he observes. "A lot of people in Vail never go to Vail. They go skiing on Vail's mountain, but they don't go into town much."

Thompson agrees with Talisker's environmentally-sensitive philosophy...

...When it comes to developing property, Thompson's vision is of a unique and architecturally-controlled community. He worries about the "homogenization of America" the look-a-like Main Streets that can, in some cases, also produce look-a-like neighborhoods. At times, towns can look so much alike that, Thompson observes, "you can sometimes go to one ski resort to the next and you don't know one from the other."

It is therefore important that resorts try to keep their personality despite the rush and convenience of other facilities made available, he concludes...

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 1:47 PM

I hope everyone's Christmas is white with snow! Here in Salt Lake it sure isn't.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 6:38 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Sandy could be new home of sports retailer Scheels
December 29th, 2010 @ 5:55pm
By Marjorie Cortez

SANDY -- Sandy city could be the next home of Scheels, a major sporting goods and outdoor gear "destination retailer" that has 23 stores in nine states.

Sources confirmed Wednesday that the company, based in Fargo, N.D., is considering either Sandy or Boise for a new location. On Tuesday, the Salt Lake County Council approved an interlocal agreement with Sandy that caps its participation at $3.8 million in property-tax increment over 25 years, whichever occurs first. Sandy also will provide a property-tax increment to the project.

Neither county nor Sandy administrators would name the retailer, which would anchor a 22-acre development at 11400 S. State, until Wednesday. Surrounding businesses would not be eligible for tax support under the agreement, officials said.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13822216
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 1:43 PM

^^^
That's a pretty positive development about this major destination retailer. It will be interesting to see if they choose the Wasatch Metro over Boise, given the number of major sporting goods operations already located here, not the least of which is a major Cabelas just down the road.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 1:07 PM

Murray - Private school seeking zero energy impact

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...gy-impact.html

...The first phase, which is expected to begin in March and conclude in September, will be 6,000 square feet created from pods of shipping containers grouped together. A wind turbine on the campus, along with solar panels, will generate electricity for the school, which will minimize its energy usage through lights that automatically turn off when the building's natural light is sufficient.

The school will be heated and cooled by a geothermal system that uses groundwater, Kay says, and a layer of 10-12 inches of foam on the outside of the containers for insulation will cut down on energy, too...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Murray - Private school seeking zero energy impact

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...gy-impact.html

...The first phase, which is expected to begin in March and conclude in September, will be 6,000 square feet created from pods of shipping containers grouped together. A wind turbine on the campus, along with solar panels, will generate electricity for the school, which will minimize its energy usage through lights that automatically turn off when the building's natural light is sufficient.

The school will be heated and cooled by a geothermal system that uses groundwater, Kay says, and a layer of 10-12 inches of foam on the outside of the containers for insulation will cut down on energy, too...
SWEET! I love it. I want to build a house out of shipping containers.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 7:40 PM

$1.2 billion NSA center

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...ility.html.csp

Ceremony to begin construction of the $1.2 billion NSA center is Thursday

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 7:47 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...ility.html.csp

Ceremony to begin construction of the $1.2 billion NSA center is Thursday

Great. I hope they show some renders during the ground breaking. I really am itching to see what this facility will look like.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

Great. I hope they show some renders during the ground breaking. I really am itching to see what this facility will look like.
I know how much you like tall things.... prepare to be dissapointed.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 7:15 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I know how much you like tall things.... prepare to be dissapointed.

I do like tall buildings, but I don't expect this to be tall by any means. Still I can't wait to see what the building or buildings will look like. I hope the design looks good since I do picture this to be a very big building(s).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 12:13 PM

I'm assuming it will look like an average warehouse/office park, but even more bland and governmental. Just...a billion dollars worth.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 1:26 PM

The real immediate excitement of this project is the 10,000-plus construction jobs it will provide. Even more exciting is the ripple effect it will have on the future of the metro's growth in the supply of high tech jobs, and numerous related projects.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 6:17 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Just a reminder......Today is the ground breaking for the NSA center. Stay tuned for more details.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 10:31 PM

Utah's $1.5 billion cyber-security center under way

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...under-way.html

CAMP WILLIAMS — Thursday's groundbreaking for a $1.5 billion National Security Agency data center is being billed as important in the short term for construction jobs and important in the long term for Utah's reputation as a technology center...

... Utah was chosen for the project over 37 other locations. The Cyber Security Center is being characterized as the "largest military construction project in recent memory."

... Utah's favorable energy costs, Internet infrastructure, thriving software industry and proximity to the Salt Lake City International Airport helped it win in the bid process that ended up with Camp Williams earning the data center...

..."It is so unique and so intensive," Hatch said. "This will establish our state as one of the leading states for technology."

Computer renderings of the first Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative (CNCI) Data Center, at Camp Williams, Utah on display at Camp Williams for the groundbreaking on Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011. (BDB)

Grading work is already under way for the complex, which is scheduled to include 100,000 square feet for the data center and 900,000 square feet for technical support and administrative space. The center is designed to be capable of generating all of its own power through backup electrical generators and will have both fuel and water storage. Construction is designed to achieve environmentally significant LEED Silver certification.

Computer rendering of the first Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative (CNCI) Data Center, at Camp Williams, Utah on display at Camp Williams for the groundbreaking on Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011. (BDB)

Last edited by delts145; Jan 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 1:27 AM
Chairman

It doesn't look that bland. Not bad looking for a government structure.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 2:48 AM

Utah Data Center site location

edit

Last edited by joscar; Jul 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 7:07 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Looks good for a government building. That's about what I expected so I'm not disappointed at all.

I still think it's really cool and says a lot about Utah that out of over 37 other locations WE were chosen for the project.

Last edited by SLC Projects; Jan 7, 2011 at 7:31 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 11:07 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

This new cyber-security center is just awesome on too many levels!

Aside from the new jobs created in its construction and after, having a facility like this in the State of Utah will do a lot to boost our street cred in the High Tech world. A lot of what happened in Silicon Valley came in conjunction with their High Tech government facilities and High Tech private partnerships with the government.

With this project and the Hill Airforce Base Private / Government High Tech Partnership, we positioning ourselves in a very good place.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 12:17 PM

Utah's NSA spy center will house data, not analysts

Computer rendering of the first Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative (CNCI) Data Center at Camp Williams. Ground was broken on the facility Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011. (BDB,)

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ysts.html?pg=2

CAMP WILLIAMS — Computers drawing enough electricity to power a small city will soon fill a National Security Agency data center on a 240-acre site where officials officially broke ground on Thursday...

...The NSA said the data center is a component of the Comprehensive National Cyber-security Initiative "aimed at securing the United States' information infrastructure and coordinating its defense with state and local governments, as well as the private sector." The data center's mission is to help the intelligence community meet cyber-security objectives.

"The threat posed by computer hackers is very big, and it is growing," Senator Hatch said. "That is why this data center is so important."...

Dignitaries get ready to shovel dirt at the groundbreaking for the first Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative (CNCI) Data Center at Camp Williams, Utah on Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011. (Ravell Call, Deseret News)

Last edited by delts145; Jan 7, 2011 at 1:44 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West