HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 12:10 AM

Yup

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 1:15 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
17000 and something lions still have a lot of work to do to rebuild their season ticket base after covid-19
Speaking of attendance. 9,806 for Winnipeg at Toronto is finally up on the CFL site. Anyone actually believe that? I call whitewashing of that attendance figure based on what I saw at the beginning of the game.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Speaking of attendance. 9,806 for Winnipeg at Toronto is finally up on the CFL site. Anyone actually believe that? I call whitewashing of that attendance figure based on what I saw at the beginning of the game.
I didn't see it, but I will say that late trickle-in is definitely a real thing in Toronto based on the 4 or 5 games I've been to at BMO.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 2:30 PM

I'd say the number is plausible, it didn't look all that different from other recent crowds at BMO that were announced in the same general range.

Time for my picks this week...

Edmonton at Montreal: This is a tricky one. Normally I'd say Montreal but the Als seem to be in a state of disarray at the moment, plus there is the usual west vs. east factor. I wouldn't pick an eastern team to win without a major overriding factor and there isn't one here. Yes Tre Ford is out, but Nick Arbuckle will be an adequate substitute. I will look for Edmonton to bounce back from last week's beatdown with a win in Montreal. Edmonton.

EDIT: Forgot about the Arbuckle trade, Elks are screwed with Cornelius at the helm. Montreal should win this one.

Calgary at Winnipeg: Calgary is good but I expect the Bombers to keep rolling along with a win in this showdown of the remaining undefeateds. Winnipeg.

Saskatchewan at Toronto: No reason not to pick the 4-1 Riders in this one against a sluggish Argos team. Saskatchewan.

Ottawa at Hamilton: Poor Ottawa, they are in a tough spot with Masoli knocked out by a disgraceful deliberate attempt to injure. Will the scrappy RBs pull out a win against the Ticats? Probably not. Hamilton.

Last edited by esquire; Jul 14, 2022 at 3:01 PM. Reason: Changed pick in Edm/Mtl game to Montreal

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yes Tre Ford is out, but Nick Arbuckle will be an adequate substitute.
Arbuckle was traded to Ottawa. Taylor Cornelius will likely start.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:00 PM
Community Guy

I've given up on my picks given the current state of the league.

Just going to sit back and have a few extra pops and enjoy the game.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Arbuckle was traded to Ottawa. Taylor Cornelius will likely start.
Whoops. Thanks for the correction, the trade completely slipped my mind when I was writing my post.

As much as I want to stand by my choice, I think it's going to be damn tough for Edmonton to win with the likes to Cornelius at the helm. So in a highly controversial move I'm going to switch my pick for that game.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 1:53 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Montreal Alouettes acquire rights to Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 2:30 AM

Man Alouettes choke another lead to Edmontons backup of their backup of their backup. This years east division is getting really ugly not sure i have seen this many teams trying to out choke each other week after week.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 2:39 AM

Cfl should maybe consider stop having western teams play the eastern teams in the regular season. Every year almost for the past 40 years the west has been dominating them and it just weakens the east teams right out the gate every year and you wonder why they have attendance problems when their records are so bad.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 12:36 PM

Damnit Maciocia. Making me pay for picking an east team over a western one

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 1:16 PM
arf

Quote:
Edmonton Eskimos 32 Montreal Pass Interferences 31

Ugh.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 1:17 PM
arf

Quote:
Cfl should maybe consider stop having western teams play the eastern teams in the regular season. Every year almost for the past 40 years the west has been dominating them and it just weakens the east teams right out the gate every year and you wonder why they have attendance problems when their records are so bad.
That's an interesting option.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 3:30 PM

3downnation did an interview with Halifax Mayor Mike Savage and in the whole interview he continually put cold water on any sort of stadium deal happening soon. To me the Halifax idea is dead and the CFL should stop pretending like a stadium will get built there anytime soon. Try London or Kitchener or Quebec City or Moncton but Halifax just will not build anything.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 4:14 PM

Genuine question is this the worst the East has ever been like in the history of the CFL? I know it’s gotten pretty bad ever since the Bombers left but this feels like a new all-time low.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 4:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The CFL teams should probably play in their own divisions for the first couple months of the season so that it doesn't look so bad in the east.

There is room for the eastern teams to win against themselves this month with the redblacks playing only eastern teams for the rest of the month, alouettes and Tiger Cats mostly the same. The Argos are up against the Roughriders next two games so the Argos record will likely drop out of top spot in the east soon.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 4:38 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Yeah - I never like changing picks once I’ve made them - seems to be bad karma or something - very seldom works out for me.

That was quite the comeback by the Elks last night. Montreal has definitely had penalty issues the last couple of games.

I kinda like the idea of only playing within your division for the first 6 weeks or so. I suppose the league wants inter-division games at the end of the season however.

Should be a good one tonight - Go Stamps !!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 4:53 PM

Message to the league and Halifax. Build a Empire Field type stadium, similar to BC’s temp stadium that cost $14 million back when BC Place was getting upgrades. Ya it’s definitely not ideal, but the upside fat outweighs the downside. Grow the game, expose it to the market, and make it a wicked experience like in BC when the drew 27,000 to the games.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 5:00 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
3downnation did an interview with Halifax Mayor Mike Savage and in the whole interview he continually put cold water on any sort of stadium deal happening soon. To me the Halifax idea is dead and the CFL should stop pretending like a stadium will get built there anytime soon. Try London or Kitchener or Quebec City or Moncton but Halifax just will not build anything.
That’s frustrating.
When is the next municipal election in Halifax ?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 5:09 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustForTheHalibut View Post
The CFL teams should probably play in their own divisions for the first couple months of the season so that it doesn't look so bad in the east.

There is room for the eastern teams to win against themselves this month with the redblacks playing only eastern teams for the rest of the month, alouettes and Tiger Cats mostly the same. The Argos are up against the Roughriders next two games so the Argos record will likely drop out of top spot in the east soon.

Who's going to take it from Toronto?

Potentially the worst. I think we're looking at 2016 or 2017 as being the benchmark for poor showings.

In 2016, Ottawa won the Eastern Division with an 8-9-1 record and the Eastern teams were a combined 27-44-1. So that's what we're looking at 27 wins.

Fewest wins overall I've seen was 2017 with 26 wins. Toronto won the division at 9-9. They won the Grey Cup too. The Eastern teams were a combined 26-45-1.

So far, the 2-14 record is a good start, but there's lot's of guaranteed win weeks, right now they are only 12 games under 500 and they need to get to the 17-19 games below to have a shot. There's 16 more inter-division games. 8-8 puts them at 30-42. Still lots of time to look reasonable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada