HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
well not everyone is a white colour employee working in an office tower downtown, maybe in your circle of friends, but i am working class and most people i know are and work in light industry, medical or the service industry and those kinds of businesses are not situated downtown, they are on the outskirts of towns that are underserved by transit

vancouver has lost a lot of businesses to the suburbs who have the type of land they need and thats why there is such a large reverse commute here, people actually need to leave the city to get to work

of course its nice that vancouver has become what it has but it has lost a lot of tax base becaus eit can no longer cater to a lot of businesses and industries cause it lost all that land and the suburbs/surrounding cities have been more than happy to house them

a lot of shiny happy condos only makes the city more of a resort city than a working city
I dont think i want light industry downtown unless that includes software development? Theres tons of service jobs downtown and doesnt st pauls and vancouver general near Broadway provide thousands of jobs as far as medical goes?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 3:08 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
omg people stop nerding out

portland has some TOD you asked for examples i provided two - the pearl district and the South Waterfront are two examples of TOD in the USA

end of story

other people said i never mentioned some stations in Vancouver because I assumed everyone already knows of all the TOD in Vancouver

I personally like Portlands transit system and how it has retained its industrial areas, business areas and residential areas and that they are well served by LRT transit - the new orange line (opening in 2015) for portland will go into SE portland and serve that area well - it appears from the videos i have watched that it is industrial and home to 1100 businesses or something like that in that part of town - it will pass through the newly created TOD area of the south waterfront which will house businesses and condos alike - this area as only started developing in the past few years because of transit coming and serving the area

is that not the text book definitition of TOD?
That Orange Line in Portland sounds exactly like what Calgary's Southeast LRT (Yellow Line, 203) will be when it opens around 2020. The Southeast is almost fully industrial, then there are large big box retail areas like Heritage Meadows (Ikea, Costco), and then in the farrr southeast is a massive new medical campus and many extremely desirable town centres that have been designed to accomodate the future LRT. I'm quite excited for the line, though I doubt I will still live here by that point, seeing as how much I miss Vancouver.

oh, and btw... I'm certainly not White Collar. Just because I work in an office in a tall building doesn't mean I make tons of money. I'm literally JUST turning 22 on Thursday... that should say something about my white collar status

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Dec 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I doubt it would work in the GTA. Any premium would be lost to building at a higher density. I guess Vaughan will be the real test.
Serious? The GTA has been doing transit oriented development since the subway was first built. North York, Scarborough, Yonge-Eglinton, and High Park all have well established TOD. It's happening around Downsview Station, all along Sheppard, and in the Six Points area of Etobicoke. There's massive density starting to happen in the centres of Markham, Richmond Hill and Vaughan, and even at some of the GO stations like Mount Pleasant and Port Credit.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I dont think i want light industry downtown unless that includes software development? Theres tons of service jobs downtown and doesnt st pauls and vancouver general near Broadway provide thousands of jobs as far as medical goes?
i never said downtown, but vancouver really has nothing left as far as industrial goes, they changed the flats in the late 90's and its slowly picking up but car dealerships? really?

a lot of business fled to surrey or neighbouring cities and in doing so have created a need for car commutes which is kind of funny when vancouver pushes tranist usage

anyway TOD extends beyond condos and residential doesn't it?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 11:19 AM

Crane is up for phase I of Solo District.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniatus View Post
Two renderings that haven't been posted yet.

http://www.solodistrict.com/index.html

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 11:47 AM

Vaughan Metropolitan Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
This is where a lot of Toronto's highrise growth will come from, there's a new town centre that has me particularly interested. Vaughan Metropolitan Centre is a new downtown being developed (and they are finishing up a new TTC subway extension there to anchor it) and will add likely a hundred highrises in the coming two decades (if not more in its surrounding area).

Video Link

^None of what is in that video currently exists, except for the subway they are completing.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
well not everyone is a white colour employee working in an office tower downtown, maybe in your circle of friends, but i am working class and most people i know are and work in light industry, medical or the service industry and those kinds of businesses are not situated downtown, they are on the outskirts of towns that are underserved by transit

vancouver has lost a lot of businesses to the suburbs who have the type of land they need and thats why there is such a large reverse commute here, people actually need to leave the city to get to work

of course its nice that vancouver has become what it has but it has lost a lot of tax base becaus eit can no longer cater to a lot of businesses and industries cause it lost all that land and the suburbs/surrounding cities have been more than happy to house them

a lot of shiny happy condos only makes the city more of a resort city than a working city
Quote:
i never said downtown, but vancouver really has nothing left as far as industrial goes, they changed the flats in the late 90's and its slowly picking up but car dealerships? really?

a lot of business fled to surrey or neighbouring cities and in doing so have created a need for car commutes which is kind of funny when vancouver pushes tranist usage

anyway TOD extends beyond condos and residential doesn't it?
Oh yes you most indeed did mention downtown. Twice.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2012, 3:38 AM

anyway - solo will look good and the area is going to be a lot in a few years

Last edited by SpongeG; Dec 25, 2012 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 11:07 PM

Brentwood Town Centre redevelopment fly through in Burnaby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Video Link

Retail possession spring 2016.. I assume that is for the first phase? IIRC they're looking to start construction (or at least excavation) in spring 2013.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 11:10 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Hey, everyone - I just wanted to try to raise the profile a little of jeddy1989's awesome ideas for the immediate future of public transit in St. John's. He put A LOT of work into it, as you'll see, and I want the city to move ahead with testing and then implementing it.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=116

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 12:03 PM

Renfrew Centre

170,000 sqft of office space adjacent the Renfrew skytrain station in Vancouver.

http://www.mcmparchitects.com/portfolio/office/57

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 1:54 PM
ARTchitecture

Wow that'll be nice for the area. There's lots of offices that have recently gone up around there too. I used to work at Rona just right near the station

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 2:23 PM

Yeah the area is definitely changing for the better. Renfrew used to seem like one of the stupidest locations for a skytrain station. Now there is a sizeable office hub developing. This newest building also looks the most urban of the area and wouldn't be out of place on West Broadway.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 10:14 PM

whats up with the trees in the render?

so this building is finally getting built? seems like forever that they have been promoting it

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 10:23 PM
ARTchitecture

I WISH they'd put something like that on West Broadway!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 1:31 AM

Waterloo representing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
A few images of the proposed transit hub for the new Waterloo Region LRT: Approved, and will begin construction in 2014, to be completed by 2017.
First is a model of the entire area, a vision: The white buildings are existing...

Here is a concept render of the actual hub, however, planning is still ongoing, and this may not be the final design:

source: http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/ge...esentation.pdf

At the bottom right of the previous image is a placeholder for a residential development. It is called 1 Victoria, 19 floors, Momentum developments, ABA architects. Here is an image from the website:

source: http://www.1victoria.com/index.html

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 4:11 AM
Here and There

Here comes the future Canada! Go light rail! Coupled with new, clean energy technologies we could really make a dent in the reversal of climate change. Live small, live smart, breathe clean.

Last edited by kw5150; Feb 8, 2013 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 7:30 AM

Last edited by thomax; Jun 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 9:44 AM

^ Very cool, thanks for posting.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 9:51 AM

New renderings and video of Surrey's 3 Civic Plaza.

Video Link

http://blog.buzzbuzzhome.com/2013/02...ty-centre.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada