HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Natalie Kostelini referenced it in her article yesterday: "Nine projects in Philadelphia with a total of 1,178 units that, as of the third quarter, are in various stages of planning and approvals but are projected to be completed over the next 36 months. They include the second phase of Edgewater in Logan Square, which will have 240 units, and PMC Group's first phase of Riverwalk on 23rd Street, which will have 321 apartments." It's around 23rd and Race. The first piece of the project was built in 2006. Federal Capital Partners bought the lot for the second piece from JPMorgan Asset Mangement earlier this year. So, maybe this will soon be a go!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 3:28 PM
Philly Pholly

Yes. I saw that. I was hoping someone here would have heard something else.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 4:46 PM

Merry Christmas everyone!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 4:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Anything built on the Disney hole needs to be +500 ft. I will pocket protest anything less.

I’m not kidding.
Agreed. But what about the large-ish building on the Chestnut Street side of the property? Anything preventing that from being demolished, or would it need to be kept? A full blank city block would be much better for the type of development that that site deserves. It would allow for a public space that East Market lacks at street level (until you get to Independence Mall), just as the Kimmel Center does for South Broad. The Fashion District doesn't count - it's still the Gallery to me, and a mall is rarely a great public space.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 4:14 PM

^I don't see anything listed about Edgewater II here, but on the agenda for the LSNA meeting that took place 2 weeks ago - I saw these two items:

1) RCO Presentations:
1701-11 Race Street Phase 1, "Cathedral Place" - Exeter Property Group (EM Race Vine Ventures, LLC)

2) President's Report:
PMC Property request for meeting re: 23rd & Cherry Street lot

http://www.lsnaphilly.org/announceme...boardmeeting-2

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Agreed. But what about the large-ish building on the Chestnut Street side of the property? Anything preventing that from being demolished, or would it need to be kept? A full blank city block would be much better for the type of development that that site deserves. It would allow for a public space that East Market lacks at street level (until you get to Independence Mall), just as the Kimmel Center does for South Broad. The Fashion District doesn't count - it's still the Gallery to me, and a mall is rarely a great public space.
I would lament the loss of that building heavily! The Hole covers the entire length of Market between 8th and 9th; I don’t think any demolition is necessary.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 7:01 PM
Midrise

Quote:
I would lament the loss of that building heavily! The Hole covers the entire length of Market between 8th and 9th; I don’t think any demolition is necessary.
833 Chestnut aka 819-41 Chestnut, built for Gimbels c. 1927, Architect: Graham, Anderson, Probst & White. Yeah, even though it's on neither local nor National Register, I don't think it's going anywhere. It's had a lot of investment in keeping it updated and houses, besides data centers, Jefferson and Ballinger offices.

Supposedly it sold for a pretty penny in 2015, but I see it listed in atlas as last sold in 2005 and still with the same owner as prior to the supposed 2015 sale.

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/833...r-160-million/

https://www.philadelphiabuildings.or...play.cfm/82490

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Doesn't Goldenberg also owns the adjacent massive lot at 8th and Chestnut? I'm fairly certain they consolidated the parcels as part of their effort to optimize the entire areas development. Ranstead Street bifurcates the lots.

I really hope they have plans for something special and ambitious here. East Market's development and PMC's lot at 23rd and Cherry are probably equal in scale to this and have had no problem getting anchor tenants and financing in place. There really is no excuse save for incompetence or, fingers crossed, they are going big here.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Doesn't Goldenberg also owns the adjacent massive lot at 8th and Chestnut? I'm fairly certain they consolidated the parcels as part of their effort to optimize the entire areas development. Ranstead Street bifurcates the lots.

I really hope they have plans for something special and ambitious here. East Market's development and PMC's lot at 23rd and Cherry are probably equal in scale to this and have had no problem getting anchor tenants and financing in place. There really is no excuse save for incompetence or, fingers crossed, they are going big here.
The D-hole is massive. Absolutely no need to add in 833 Chestnut to the carnage. It seems as incompetence is the prevailing theory at the moment for the lack of development on literally, the largest, most commercially viable urban lot in the US.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 4:00 PM

CDR Submissions are up for January. Nothing too major except for Drexel's new Nursing and Health Professions College building.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
The D-hole is massive. Absolutely no need to add in 833 Chestnut to the carnage. It seems as incompetence is the prevailing theory at the moment for the lack of development on literally, the largest, most commercially viable urban lot in the US.
Agreed. If Goldenberg acquired 833 Chestnut and applied for a demolition permit, I'd argue that you'd need to be certifiably insane to grant it to them. Even if they presented plans for building a 2000 footer, I just don't know how you'd trust them. After 20 years of failing to get something done here, there's no way they should be allowed to increase the size of this scar. As you and others have pointed out, they've got plenty of room to build basically whatever they want on the land they've got.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I’m talking about the big lot at 8th and Chestnut - not the building at 9th. This lot, combined with the D Hole, forms an L-Shaped mega lot with the ability to build on the entire 8th street side of the parcel btwn market and chestnut.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I’m talking about the big lot at 8th and Chestnut - not the building at 9th. This lot, combined with the D Hole, forms an L-Shaped mega lot with the ability to build on the entire 8th street side of the parcel btwn market and chestnut.
I think people were mostly responding to dreadnought, who suggested demo'ing 833 Chestnut, which won't and absolutely should not be done. Yes, Goldenburg owns all of the parking lots between 8th and 9th and Chestnut and Market, allowing for a full build on the giant L-shaped parcel. This is an enormous site without bringing 833 Chestnut into the mix.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I think people were mostly responding to dreadnought, who suggested demo'ing 833 Chestnut, which won't and absolutely should not be done. Yes, Goldenburg owns all of the parking lots between 8th and 9th and Chestnut and Market, allowing for a full build on the giant L-shaped parcel. This is an enormous site without bringing 833 Chestnut into the mix.
A huge site indeed , would need a few $billion to develop it .

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 8:42 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Re: 833

Gawd, I think there were be a huge protest and the city would not allow this bldg to be demolish. Don't know if it would qualify as an art-deco building, but I do see the outside has nice features such as roman columns.

This is the only stats I could find on it:

https://42floors.com/us/pa/philadelphia/833-chestnut-st

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 1:36 PM
BANNED

Just floating the idea, not seriously advocating for 833's demise.
Speaking of this site, does anyone know where I can get a dimensioned site plan for it? There are a few things I would like to know.
TIA

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 2:59 PM

I don't know. I think you were on to something. Let's double down on the Disney Hole. There's more history and beautiful prewar architecture left to wipe out.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 3:16 PM
Philly Pholly

delete

Last edited by SEFTA; Dec 30, 2019 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Re: 833

Gawd, I think there were be a huge protest and the city would not allow this bldg to be demolish. Don't know if it would qualify as an art-deco building, but I do see the outside has nice features such as roman columns.

This is the only stats I could find on it:

https://42floors.com/us/pa/philadelphia/833-chestnut-st
Yes, that would never happen. Unless...

Some jewelry makers or other artisans were first working out of the building.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 8:41 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

833 Chestnut's façade is really more Beaux-Arts than Art Deco. Originally built as the last and largest annex of the Gimbels department store at 9th and Market, it harmonized with the façades of the store's existing buildings:

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations