HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 6:57 PM
Great White Norf

"Super 7, for when Super 8 is just too darn fancy!"

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 7:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Think about it: hookers+motel room+fast food, all of this in a package deal for less than $100. That's how they roll in the seedier side of London.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
This has to be the cheapest motel room I have ever seen. I think the cheapest I’ve seen around here (for some borderline slums in Gatineau) are priced 70 or 80$.
There is a guy on YouTube I watch whose channel is called 'Bald and Bankrupt'. He is an english guy who travels to places most people don't want to visit. Chechnya, Uzbek, other 'Stans', Sinoloa, the slums of India etc. On a recent trip he went to a hotel in one of the Stans and it was only the equivalent of 1.5 UK pounds a night to stay there. Classy place.

Is that $39 no tell/motel a current price in London ?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 7:31 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Nor, of course, is this phenomenon of wilful bad eating unique to Boston Pizza and the Ribber-Winger Combos or Bacon Pizzaburgers it unapologetically serves. The chain restaurant in Canada enjoys a robust and ever-flourishing existence marked by breadth of influence and diversity of style: in any city small or large we can savour, with reliable delight, family-friendly casual-dining establishments such as East Side Mario’s (Italian-American), Kelseys (“Neighbourhood Bar and Grill”), The Keg (nominally upscale steakhouse), Montana’s (Southern BBQ), Nickels (diner-style burgers affiliated with Céline Dion) and Milestones (no one identifiable theme, but they seem to favour chicken) — restaurants of infallible reputation all. To step into any of these well-engineered emporiums of calorie-rich dinner is to find consistency on a scale closer to fast-food than fine dining (or, for that matter, home-cooking).

What you’re paying for in large part is the absence of doubt and the eradication of surprise. The chain restaurant is reassuringly predictable: you know, eating here, what the fries will taste like. There is something childish and conservative about the desire to eat at Boston Pizza or Kelseys or East Side Mario’s, something pitiable about the impulse to slump into those chunky plastic booths for a generous serving of frozen steak and the ice cream scoop of garlic mashed potato you depend upon for comfort or nostalgic bliss.

Maybe 40-million Canadians are merely sentimental — under the wistful spell of the chain restaurant and soothing power of the mediocrity on which we can always depend. Probably there are many people who eat at Boston Pizza or its homogenous contemporaries because they don’t know any better or have never been afforded the chance to dine with real pleasure elsewhere — those surrounded by chains in locations where the only image of local restaurants is a caricature of minuscule plates and hard-to-pronounce meals.

https://nationalpost.com/life/food/w...w-bad-they-are
The nasty, sneering tone by the writer of this piece is a good example of souls being sucked. I've eaten at Boston Pizza once and it was indeed terrible, and I object to the very name of the chain, but the writer gets something fundamentally wrong.

It is not "childish" to be a conservative eater. In reality, adventurous gourmands are the exception, not the norm. People in great culinary countries like China, France, Mexico, Thailand etc. know exactly what they're getting at that taqueria, that streetside stand, that hole-in-the-wall restaurant. There were about 45 independent purveyors of the unexciting but still delicious chicken-and-rice dish known as the specialty of the Taiwanese city of 250,000 people that I once lived in, and they all basically did it the same. Those who didn't conform to the expected and very specific standard for taste either made changes until they did or didn't last long in business.

You ever see that Jamie Oliver series about travelling through Italy when he turned 30? At one point he gripes about how nobody in the country appreciates his innovative departures from traditional dishes. The highest praise is always "oh yeah, you got it right." Food in Italy is generally better than in Canada, of that there can be no doubt, and Boston Pizza is certainly one of several crappy chains dotting suburbs all over Canada, but people generally don't want to be surprised when they eat.

"Let's go out, I'm craving _____." Comfort food is childish? What a bizarrely shortsighted and stupid thing to say.

Last edited by rousseau; Dec 5, 2020 at 5:47 AM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 8:03 PM
sick transit, gloria

That is probably a terrifying motel, but that vintage signage is amazing! I love the style of old roadside motels, though most around here aren't exactly places you'd want to be. Stayed at a few refurbed "retro-chic" ones when my wife and I did an Oregon Coast road-trip a few years back.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
That is probably a terrifying motel, but that vintage signage is amazing! I love the style of old roadside motels, though most around here aren't exactly places you'd want to be. Stayed at a few refurbed "retro-chic" ones when my wife and I did an Oregon Coast road-trip a few years back.
https://goo.gl/maps/2TW8nd5igECMYTGd6

ever stay here near Crater Lake...Interesting units inside and interesting characters who own it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 8:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Think about it: hookers+motel room+fast food, all of this in a package deal for less than $100. That's how they roll in the seedier side of London.
I imagine you're right, I hope they wash the bed linen every day..........

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 8:43 PM

Quote:

urbantoronto
Pretty sure that’s in the US.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
There is a guy on YouTube I watch whose channel is called 'Bald and Bankrupt'. He is an english guy who travels to places most people don't want to visit. Chechnya, Uzbek, other 'Stans', Sinoloa, the slums of India etc. On a recent trip he went to a hotel in one of the Stans and it was only the equivalent of 1.5 UK pounds a night to stay there. Classy place.
Isn't Uzbekistan turning into quite the tourist destination now? Well pre-COVID anyway.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Is that $39 no tell/motel a current price in London ?
My SRO building that's a mostly-unupdated 1920s hotel just lost one of its whores (she's currently in jail for a few months and I won't be letting her back in), but there are still others left, AND you can get quarts of 50, or O'Keefe, or Laurentide, as well as pickled eggs and tongues, all under the same roof! (The current rates for the rooms are $75/week and $250/month.)

(The tavern is going to remain a time capsule, but I don't intend to keep the whores in the medium term, I want to clean up a bit the tenant population.)

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Pretty sure that’s in the US.
I think so too. There's a CVS on the left edge, and I've never seen anywhere in the country that has traffic lights on the wires, apart from construction

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
My SRO building that's a mostly-unupdated 1920s hotel just lost one of its whores (she's currently in jail for a few months and I won't be letting her back in), but there are still others left, AND you can get quarts of 50, or O'Keefe, or Laurentide, as well as pickled eggs and tongues, all under the same roof! (The current rates for the rooms are $75/week and $250/month.)

(The tavern is going to remain a time capsule, but I don't intend to keep the whores in the medium term, I want to clean up a bit the tenant population.)
You're making a mistake.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:43 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:

It's easy to feel smug about not having eaten in any of these chain pods (Keg excepted), but this is alarmingly deceptive; it's symptomatic of the homogenization of society in so many other ways. Unknown and unpredictable rogue cultural influences endanger the complacency and docility of the masses, and thus threaten to wrench the inalienable right to control from the greedy fingers of our sociopathic culinary and cultural overlords.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 2:25 AM

Quote:

When life ever gets back to normal post Covid you need to have a SSC party at this tavern that is on one of your properties.

Quarts of 50, O'Keefe/Laurentide, pickled eggs, rooms for $75/month, and regulars of ill repute. What could possibly go wrong?. I'm assuming not an avocado or artisinal cupcake on the premises.

How much does a quart of 50 go for after taxes are factored in.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 2:57 AM
recession proof

I've eaten at a Boston Pizza once - in North Bay. I thought it was very cheesy lamestream kinda place with bland pizza. I rarely go to chain restaurants.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 3:27 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
The nasty, sneering tone by the writer of this piece is a good example of souls being sucked. I've eaten at Boston Pizza once and it was indeed terrible, and I object to the very name of the chain, but the writer gets something fundamentally wrong.

It is not "childish" to be a conservative eater. In reality, adventurous gourmands are the exception, not the norm. People in great culinary countries like China, France, Mexico, Thailand etc. know exactly what they're getting at that taqueria, that streetside stand, that hole-in-the-wall restaurant. There were about 45 independent purveyors of the unexciting but still delicious chicken-and-rich dish known as the specialty of the Taiwanese city of 250,000 people that I once lived in, and they all basically did it the same. Those who didn't conform to the expected and very specific standard for taste either made changes until they did or didn't last long in business.

You ever see that Jamie Oliver series about travelling through Italy when he turned 30? At one point he gripes about how nobody in the country appreciates his innovative departures from traditional dishes. The highest praise is always "oh yeah, you got it right." Food in Italy is generally better than in Canada, of that there can be no doubt, and Boston Pizza is certainly one of several crappy chains dotting suburbs all over Canada, but people generally don't want to be surprised when they eat.

"Let's go out, I'm craving _____." Comfort food is childish? What a bizarrely shortsighted and stupid thing to say.
I can understand the appeal of a place like Boston Pizza. You have a group of non-foodie people you want to bring out for dinner. You don't want anybody to go hungry or be disinterested in the cuisine. Thus, BP (or East Side Marios or whatever) saves the day. It has enough variety to appease most palates, isn't hugely overpriced and is mostly acceptable mediocrity. You're not going for the food, you're going for the company. Now, special date night with your wife and you're hitting Boston Pizza? Try harder.

Finding a hole in the wall that isn't a specific dedicated cuisine is harder today. General purpose restaurants were more prevalent in the pre-smartphone days. Chains provided some assurance of not getting something awful. Not great, mind you, but if you've just done a big slog on the road or an airplane, anything that isn't fast food is an improvement.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
You're making a mistake.
What's the mistake in your opinion? Getting rid of the whores? Or not getting rid of them faster? (Your post can be interpreted either way.)

Quote:
When life ever gets back to normal post Covid you need to have a SSC party at this tavern that is on one of your properties.
SSP not SSC

Quote:
How much does a quart of 50 go for after taxes are factored in.
~$6-$7, I think, but you needn't worry about that, I already said if I ever meet visiting SSPers* in my neck of the woods at that place then it'll be on me

*I reserve the right to not be that welcoming to any SSPer I've deemed "unhinged"

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:

SSP not SSC

~$6-$7, I think, but you needn't worry about that, I already said if I ever meet visiting SSPers* in my neck of the woods at that place then it'll be on me

*I reserve the right to not be that welcoming to any SSPer I've deemed "unhinged"
Oops.re: wrong name. SSC is pretty dead and full of odd balls..unlike SSP

$6-$7 is cheap but I'm gathering that your bar isn't velvet lined with white table cloths and artisinal glasses for each beer you serve.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Finding a hole in the wall that isn't a specific dedicated cuisine is harder today. General purpose restaurants were more prevalent in the pre-smartphone days. Chains provided some assurance of not getting something awful. Not great, mind you, but if you've just done a big slog on the road or an airplane, anything that isn't fast food is an improvement.
I'd rather just eat at Burger King or Subway and pay $10 for a fast food meal instead of going to BP and paying $30 for fast food masquerading as something else...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 6:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'd rather just eat at Burger King or Subway and pay $10 for a fast food meal instead of going to BP and paying $30 for fast food masquerading as something else...
This.

Call me crazy, but I am not a huge fan of the Miltonization of the Universe. BP, Turtle Jack's, Applebees, The Keg, Milestone's...overpriced reheated garbage, masquerading as chef's creations. And the ambiance is banal.

I go out of my way to look for hole in the wall places (especially ethnic, and fortunately, there seems to be more and more everyday: let's hear it for multiculturalism!!!). 9/10 times the food/experience is way better (even those fry shacks on the side of the road) and the price is much more reasonable. I very rarely (and only grudgingly, as in being dragged there) will go to the wretched sit-down chains.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Dec 5, 2020 at 6:19 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada