Orange 11 8.73%
thbtrs 6 4.76%
stg 5 3.97%
stg 4 3.17%
stg 4 3.17%
stg 2 1.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 3:52 AM

Yeah exactly, I think cynicism is frighteningly widespread (cynicism about cynicism- where does it end?!?! ) but seriously, I believe that the pessimistic view of human nature that has arisen in recent years has a lot to do with somewhat.....well, isolated economists and social scientists, who have reduced humans to the most base utility calculators to fit their elaborate mathematical models.

Humans are so much more than that, it terms of cognitive ability, our use of information, and societal needs,- we are so much more complex. When we realize that, I think we will be already half way there to ending the most egregious ills of the world.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducov View Post
Yeah exactly, I think cynicism is frighteningly widespread (cynicism about cynicism- where does it end?!?! ) but seriously, I believe that the pessimistic view of human nature that has arisen in recent years has a lot to do with somewhat.....well, isolated economists and social scientists, who have reduced humans to the most base utility calculators to fit their elaborate mathematical models.

Humans are so much more than that, it terms of cognitive ability, our use of information, and societal needs,- we are so much more complex. When we realize that, I think we will be already half way there to ending the most egregious ills of the world.
ha, preciselly my calculations. As Ludwig von Mises said, "human action is too complex to be planned" no matter what supercomputers they use, we have free will. Any effort to replace it, or boost it, will destroy it. You can't force a mind.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 10:19 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yeah, we are complex machines. I love humans, I'm not a misanthropist, but life is weird. I'm halfway between the whole "live your life to the fullest" and "become filthy rich and greedy" kind of thinking. Like, I believe people have souls, and are kind, and I believe in peace but it never seems to happen because of all the ignorant people out there. Voltaire certainly has something to do with the way I think. And my World History teacher, but that's for another reason.

Anyways, signed up for AP classes today. I hope it's not as hard as it sounds.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 2:25 AM

Holy Crap! I love the sound of hail shattering windows and whistling wind after dark! yeah baby,Tejas Snow! by the shitload! Im gettin myself a whataburger!

Follow up on this storm later,wow,its a doozy

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 4:13 AM

Has anyone checked out the new GoogleEarth 4.3 Its frekin sweet.

good job google

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 5:01 AM
Desert Dweller

edit

Last edited by Patrick; Apr 18, 2008 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 5:19 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Lol, I'm gonna try to make this thread a little open.

Anyways, I don't hate myself. I'm proud of my sexual orientation, I like it. I just don't support gay marriage. If a girl gets pregnant then that's her problem, I only support abortion in the case of rape. I mean, come on, why would you have sex, knowing that you can get pregnant and ruin your life? I don't believe in much of what the bible says, like how god created earth, or ho Jesus in gods son but I do believe that abortion is wrong. As for gay marriage, just not something I support. I support gay rights and stuff, and I also support gay adoption, but not marriage.

9/11 couldn't be a conspiracy, the U.S. government would've found out. Too many lives were lost for there not to be an investigation. And even if those people did get rich, the whole country was affected economically by that disaster. My immigration papers were destroyed there and we had to prove that we were here legally and get our green cards again. The stock also went down dramatically which meant that those people who just made billions of dollars lost other billions of dollars when the stock crashed. There was also the Pentagon, did those people who "committed treason" cause that too? There's a whole report on names connected to terrorists, tons of papers showing the master plan which included blowing up various towers around the US who weren't even owned by Larry Silversteyn. The WTC had problems long before 9/11. The whole complex was a disaster, and I imagine it would have been.

The war has more than one reason. Yes, we are there to stop terrorism but why don't we take advantage of the situation and try to take over the country for oil? The news, media, youtube, all communications make the war seem like it's hell. And it is, but I don't think that our soldiers commit too many things against the Iraqis. Those are just the most famous ones. We need Iraq, no matter the cause or cost. Like I said before, people would rather let people die than pay expensive gas. The war has also wasted too much money for there to be a profit in oil in the short run.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 1:07 PM

update on the hail, it maybe our 10 year storm. Lots of flooding, broken glass and dents in everything. My porch turned into pool. There's still ice on tje road. Trees have been striped of thier leaves. Whatabirhur was cold!!!!!!

My dad has pwrsonaly meet the wife and sons of the men who flew intonthe north tower! That still live in Dallas.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 6:21 PM

snowstorm in texas?
u live near Dallas FW?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 10:30 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

COOL! It's supposed to snow here tonight. WTF? Seattle weather. It was 80 degrees last Saturday and tomorrow is supposed to be 40?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 3:48 AM
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
The stock also went down dramatically which meant that those people who just made billions of dollars lost other billions of dollars when the stock crashed.
Some people made money if they short sold.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 6:01 AM

Down here the city's covered by smoke. not smog, not fog, smoke coming from stupid people burning grasslands all over the country. Visibility less than half a mile.
The sun looks orange and you can stare directly to it. IT smells terrible. This 's never happened before.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 6:39 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Why is that happening? This is what I mean. People would much rather make money than save a species.

I downloaded like 10 more New Order songs. Pretty good songs. I love New Order (not as much as the Bravery though). VHS or Beta is awesome but I can't find many songs by them to download.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 10:32 PM
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Why is that happening? This is what I mean. People would much rather make money than save a species.
And the saddest part of all, people would take money over saving one very important species, the human species. All these wars over what? Oil? Why are people wasting their money with oil. It's obsolete, really, if you think about it, when we can much more easily harness the power of the Sun, wind, and the Moon for starters.

It's the greedy old people --and I don't mean to stereotype, but you know what I mean-- who know they won't be alive when the consequences are happening to us all.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 11:00 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yup.^^^

Anyways, my mom took my iPod in her car and she doesn't wanna drive it back. Now I'm gonna be bored for the rest of the day. At least I got myspace TV to watch videos. And I was gonna get these:

Link
cause they were 100 bucks but my mom said no! I want them so bad!! And you can carry them around. They're wireless!!!

So my iPod can be downstairs and I can have the speakers upstairs! Now they're gonna go up to 200 bucks tomorrow!!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 11:52 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Patrick, you're so lucky! The Bravery is gonna be in Phoenix August 7th! And they're gonna be in Dallas on the 23th.

Just letting you guys know. Although I don't think you guys like that band.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 12:23 AM

bands i do and have liked.

Sonic Youth
Beck
David Bowie
I Monster
Clkinic
the Yeah Yeah Yeahs!
The Cardigans
R.U.S.H.
The Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead
et many other ceteras.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 2:43 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

The Yeah Yeah Yeah's are ok. I don't like the Smashing Pumpkins as much as I used to.

I love many bands but right now I'm VERY into New Order, The Bravery, 3OH!3 (amazing rappers), VHS or Beta, Digitalism and Daft Punk. I still have many more favorite bands but I'm in the period of liking these. As you can tell they all have Techno beats. I love techno, old, new, it's awesome. You should check out 3OH!3, it's like the world has gone mad!!

Hella WHITE guys that rap HELLA good. I love their songs Electricshock, HORNZ, and Chokechains.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:19 AM
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalextropy View Post
bands i do and have liked.

Sonic Youth
Beck
David Bowie
I Monster
Clkinic
the Yeah Yeah Yeahs!
The Cardigans
R.U.S.H.
The Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead
et many other ceteras.
Out of your list, I like David Bowie, Rush, and Radiohead (but not so much the newer Radiohead. I prefer their 90s style).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:22 AM
Registered Lurker

Quote:
The Yeah Yeah Yeah's are ok. I don't like the Smashing Pumpkins as much as I used to.

I love many bands but right now I'm VERY into New Order, The Bravery, 3OH!3 (amazing rappers), VHS or Beta, Digitalism and Daft Punk. I still have many more favorite bands but I'm in the period of liking these. As you can tell they all have Techno beats. I love techno, old, new, it's awesome. You should check out 3OH!3, it's like the world has gone mad!!

Hella WHITE guys that rap HELLA good. I love their songs Electricshock, HORNZ, and Chokechains.
I love many bands too, as for techno, I recall hearing Daft Punk before. The only techno I can honestly say I like is Imphenzia and Jonn Serrie if he counts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup