HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 8:58 AM
Skyriser

^^ There is yelp, etc. for that (where you're likely to get more traction), but whatever.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 9:13 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^^ There is yelp, etc. for that (where you're likely to get more traction), but whatever.
haha yeah... reviews of various places aren't really appropriate for a development thread.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 12:28 PM
Skyriser

Or you can create a new thread for southwest restaurant reviews. I'll link my Yelp posts there, as I'm sure others will.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 4:30 AM
Tucsonan

Hopefully a really good development will arise here, great spot for something nice, we'll see... *fingers crossed* and if this and El Mirador ever come to reality it will be a nice pocket of new development, in an area without much happening.

Lot 175 across from El Charro could see development
By Teya Vitu

The infamous Lot 175 parking lot, a 25-year saga of stalled progress, should become available to developers once the Tucson Industrial Development Authority comes up with a vision for the 1.94-acre site.

The IDA board and staff are in the early research phase for the 300-space Lot 175 at Court Avenue and Franklin Street, across from El Charro Café, IDA President Marilyn Robinson said.

“We have no interest of keeping it a parking lot,” Robinson said. “This needs to be a major downtown development. We’re most concerned that the right development happens, not just any development.”

Robinson said the IDA board will come up with a Request for Proposals that spells out the type of project sought for the site. They will look back at the various ideas bandied about in the past decade or two to see if any of those ideas have merit.

The IDA also wants to make sure a development there is compatible with the neighboring El Presidio Neighborhood.

“We’re not just interested in selling property,” Robinson said. “We want to make sure the development happening there is right for Downtown and that particular area.”

This commitment breaks a quarter-century deep-freeze for development on Lot 175, which was jointly bought in 1985 by the IDA and Downtown Development Corp. expressly to sell it for Downtown development projects. But the DDC, as managing partner, had full control of the property and was content to stick with a parking lot.

The IDA gained sole ownership of Lot 175 and the 59-space Torreon Replacement Lot at Stone Avenue and Council Street in a Nov. 24, 2008, settlement of a long-festering feud with the DDC about revenue shared with the IDA from both parking lots.

Also, since 2007, the IDA’s board has turned over, except for Robinson, who has been a board member since 1996, and Chris Carroll, whose tenure stretches back to IDA’s inception in 1979. The fresh faces on the nine-member board have brought a redirected IDA focus upon Downtown.

“We have a group that has a lot of enthusiasm for the potential of the IDA,” Robinson said. “The board we have now includes people who have an interest and involvement in housing, business, business development and economic development. That wasn’t necessarily true before.

“There is more of a interest to do things. Board members say ‘I want to be on a board to do things.’”

The IDA in 2009 bought the Art’s BBQ property, 450 N. Main Ave., from the Arizona Department of Transportation, the first time the IDA has bought property on its own in its history.

The IDA in 2009 also bid on the Zee’s Warehouse, 1 E. Toole Ave., and offered financial backing for the Warehouse Arts Management Organization to bid on the warehouse with Solar Culture Gallery, 31 E. Toole Ave. Both ended up failed bids.

“I think it would be wonderful if we could provide new life for Downtown,” said Robinson, who grew up in Tucson and worked at Steinfeld’s department store Downtown. “I remember Downtown was a happening place. I believe it can be that again in a new way, a happening way. I think IDA has a role to play to make things happen that need to happen.”

The IDA wants affordable housing to anchor both Art’s BBQ and Lot 175, though mixed-use elements such as retail and offices will likely be written into both requests for proposals.

City Councilmember Regina Romero encouraged the IDA to buy the 6,930-square-foot Art’s BBQ property because the city owns the 22,264-square-foot right of way between the building and Sixth Street, stretching from Main Avenue to Granada.

The El Presidio Neighborhood has wanted to bring housing to its Sixth Street northern boundary for years, Romero said, and the IDA specializes in financing affordable housing projects.

Downtown Links roadway construction opens the door to transform a bleak stretch of Sixth Street and St. Mary’s Road into a “beautiful entryway into Downtown,” Romero said.

“We are seeking to define that area to become part of the neighborhood,” Romero said. “The idea of the IDA purchasing the Art’s BBQ building is to liven up the area to bring people in and make it part of the neighborhood.”

Robinson does not expect a request proposal to go out for three to five years on the combined Art’s BBQ/city right-of-way project because flood plain issues must be resolved and Downtown Links construction in the area must be completed first.

In the mean time, the IDA would like to lease the 2,200-square-foot former Art’s BBQ building. Leasing information is available at Chapman Lindsey Commercial Real Estate Services at 747-4000.

The Industrial Development Authority’s name is a misnomer. It was essentially founded as the financing partner for the Downtown Development Corp. but evolved its primary focus to developing affordable housing citywide and providing financing for first-time homeownership.

IDA issued $108 million in affordable housing bonds from 1996 to 2008. And IDA issued $161 million in mortgage revenue bonds from 1996 through July 2010 to fund loans for 1,343 first-time homeowners.

IDA revenue comes primarily for fees on bonds. The Authority has also taken in $214,000 in parking revenue from Lot 175 since December 2008 and $252,000 from the Stone/Council lot,

The IDA is a nonprofit political subdivision of the state of Arizona with members appointed by the City Council. The all-volunteer IDA contracts with the Business Development Finance Corp. to provide staff services.

“We want to improve the standard of living in Tucson through affordable housing, business and economic development and community/neighborhood/Downtown development,” Robinson said.

Downtown development has always been an IDA pillar, though for long not a strong area of focus. The IDA pledges to “assist projects designed to enhance, revitalize and rehabilitate the cultural, social, economic, historical and physical resources of Downtown.”

“The fact that we own property right now makes it a bigger part,” Robinson said. It makes it a higher priority.”

http://www.downtowntucson.org/news/?p=3025

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 5:02 AM

A belated Happy New Year to all....after over five years of contributing here, I'll be taking a break from SSP, although I may pop in from time to time. However, it looks like there are some new folks on board to keep the Tucson thread alive (although the Flagstaff thread may be rather quiet). Hasta luego, amigos!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 2:55 PM
Emperor Disco I

I was a Lot 175 Parking Lot customer when I was working downtown about 10 or so years ago. Quite full during working day hours. I hope something nice gets built in that area. Despite the presence of Tucson's famous El Charro's restaurant (featured twice in the Food Channel), the area needs something lively 24/7. A mixed used high rise would be nice and maybe more street lights such as the ones at Mountain Ave across the UA (I'm aware of Tucson's light ordinance due to the sensitivity of Tucson's deep space telescopes).

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 3:10 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
A belated Happy New Year to all....after over five years of contributing here, I'll be taking a break from SSP, although I may pop in from time to time. However, it looks like there are some new folks on board to keep the Tucson thread alive (although the Flagstaff thread may be rather quiet). Hasta luego, amigos!
Thanks for your presence and updates. SkyscraperPage.com is on top of my favorite sites. Hope everyone in Tucson could browse the other forums in this site as a guide to rebuild this city. Here's my other favorite ( I posted this site before ) , WorldArchitectureNews.com . I mentioned some kind of biosphere park several posts ago, here's another possible reality from worldachitecturenews . I see more of these projects popping up lately.

Despite our still feeble economy, Tucson can still eek out some construction. Can't wait when the economy goes to high gear...hopefully we would have that rainbow bridge or our own Eiffel Tower or even a two mile biosphere walk in a tropical forest ... you'll never know. I think Vegas is building it's own biosphere (beach theme) park...let me see if I can find that link.

Last edited by acatalanb; Jan 20, 2011 at 3:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
Whaaaaaaaaat???? Dude, you had all the best info on here! I was wondering why we hadn't heard from you in while. I'll miss your post for sure man.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 4:49 PM

Expat checking in from Indianapolis here, looks like goals haven't changed much since my departure 5 years ago.
How does the newly revitalized downtown look?
Missing my sleepy baked apple.

Last edited by katlin; Jan 29, 2011 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 2:43 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin View Post
Expat checking in from Indianapolis here, looks like goals haven't changed much since my departure 5 years ago. How does the newly revitalized downtown look?
Missing my sleepy baked apple.
There 'seems' to be momentum - plans for further building constructions and the downtown light rail got funding. Of course, as you might as well know about Tucson, having funds or plans won't always propagate to fruition. The east-end downtown right by the nice and new 4th ave underpass has more foot traffic than usual. Two new building constructions - 9 story TEP headquarters replacing the old historic Santa Rita hotel and a nice looking student/retail/entertainment/parking housing by the gorgeous 4th Ave. underpass. Central downtown has renovated the old Wallgreens into it's old better looking 20's facade with UofA residing. Looks like downtown is aiming for more of those mixed resident/retail/parking structures - recipe for a successful downtown in my book .I'd say in 10-15 years , IF the NIMBY's would shut the hell up, downtown will be the place to go in Tucson.

However, as expected in a down economy, a lot of 'for lease' signs popping up around downtown. Central downtown is pretty much empty during weekends and nights.

Btw folks, Rice House's (Congress/Church) Thai Red curry is excruciatingly good! One of these days, I'll try Jano's Kitchen + Cocktails ... it's always at least 50 percent full every time I pass by that restaurant ( even at night ).

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 1:05 AM
Tucsonan

Also the new MLK building and one north fifth restoration. many new businesses along congress. along with HUB, which is opening next month and is a restaurant and ice cream parlor. & new Buffalo Exchange on congress is opening in March (should cause other retail stores to locate downtown). Lots of other new restaurants in the past year like Janos Downtown Kitchen + Cocktails, A Steak in the Neighborhood, On a Roll Sushi, and many more. A couple new nightclubs, Zen Rock and Sapphire. and that's all that comes to my mind right now.

heres a link to HUB's site, i'm excited for it to open.
http://www.hubdowntown.com

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 2:22 AM
Emperor Disco I

The HUB looks promising... meats and ice cream. I hope the ice cream is just as good or better than Cold Stone Creamery. And hopefully it serves large tasty succulent $10-$15 steaks smothered with butter. Damn! I'm hungry!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 3:26 AM
Tucsonan

Heres a link for all the new proposed zonings for the Warehouse Triangle District/ 4th Ave District as part of the Downtown Links Project. In the coming years i guess we will see many 5-10 floor buildings in this area?

http://www.downtownlinks.info/LandUs...AFT1.19.11.pdf

and heres the link to the general website.

http://www.downtownlinks.info/LandUseUrbanDesign/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 3:04 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
Heres a link for all the new proposed zonings for the Warehouse Triangle District/ 4th Ave District as part of the Downtown Links Project. In the coming years i guess we will see many 5-10 floor buildings in this area?

http://www.downtownlinks.info/LandUs...AFT1.19.11.pdf

and heres the link to the general website.

http://www.downtownlinks.info/LandUseUrbanDesign/
Can't wait to see that area built. The renderings blends with most of downtown's architecture. Although I wished the buildings would look more unique architecturally , they're good enough for me ... better than what sits currently.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 3:52 PM

Streetcar Funding Approved

KVOA.com - TUCSON - The City of Tucson received the green light to begin construction on the Modern Streetcar Project today.

The city has also been authorized to begin spending the $63 million from the Transportation Investment Generated Economic Recovery (TIGER) Grant. The city had to wait for clearance from the Federal Transit Administration that the project passed the Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) on the environment.

"I believe there's a billion dollars worth of private sector investment that is now going to start coming into the downtown area," Mayor Bob Walkup said.

Over the next several weeks, bids will be entered on four separate contracts for the modern streetcar project, including one for the Cushing Street Bridge over the Santa Cruz River. By 2013, Walkup expects the streetcar to be fully functioning between the campus area to the west side.

In February 2010, the City of Tucson qualified for the TIGER funding, part of the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act. The modern streetcar project is part of the Regional Transport Authority's multi-modal plan, approved by Pima County voters in 2006.

According to a release from the City of Tucson, more than 125,000 people live and work along the Modern Streetcar route - a 3.9 mile fixed rail transit system connected the Arizona Health Sciences Center, the University of Arizona, University Main Gate Square, 4th Avenue Shopping District, Downtown Tucson and the Mercado District development area.

Link to story here;

http://www.kvoa.com/news/modern-stre...e-green-light/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 6:50 PM

Nice to see Tucson coming together in a cohesive plan and beating stodgy Indianapolis in the metro light rail game!
Would like to see more night life though... Downtown Indy is pretty cool at night.

Last edited by katlin; Jan 29, 2011 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 8:35 PM

Thanks for the updates. I am glad what's going on in Tucson during this time.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 9:13 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattic505 View Post
KVOA.com - TUCSON - The City of Tucson received the green light to begin construction on the Modern Streetcar Project today.

The city has also been authorized to begin spending the $63 million from the Transportation Investment Generated Economic Recovery (TIGER) Grant. The city had to wait for clearance from the Federal Transit Administration that the project passed the Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) on the environment.

"I believe there's a billion dollars worth of private sector investment that is now going to start coming into the downtown area," Mayor Bob Walkup said.

Over the next several weeks, bids will be entered on four separate contracts for the modern streetcar project, including one for the Cushing Street Bridge over the Santa Cruz River. By 2013, Walkup expects the streetcar to be fully functioning between the campus area to the west side.

In February 2010, the City of Tucson qualified for the TIGER funding, part of the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act. The modern streetcar project is part of the Regional Transport Authority's multi-modal plan, approved by Pima County voters in 2006.

According to a release from the City of Tucson, more than 125,000 people live and work along the Modern Streetcar route - a 3.9 mile fixed rail transit system connected the Arizona Health Sciences Center, the University of Arizona, University Main Gate Square, 4th Avenue Shopping District, Downtown Tucson and the Mercado District development area.

Link to story here;

http://www.kvoa.com/news/modern-stre...e-green-light/

it's hilarious reading all the outraged people's comments claiming how downtown is dead and that the streetcar is an awful idea, clearly they have not been downtown in years. Can't wait for the day they actually visit downtown and realize how wrong they have been. I swear... only the crabbiest unpleasant people comment on News articles.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 2:23 PM
Emperor Disco I

I have this same outrage towards these 'crabby unpleasant' people.

I have my own theories why they are who they are :
1. They just enjoy complaining and ranting
2. They fear change
3. They fear taking risks or investing for the future
4. They refused to realized Tucson is a major metropolitan city ( US City Ranking ) . We're right besides Vegas, Atlanta and Portland - forward looking cities.

I'm looking forward to the day when Tucson extends that light rail and builds that cross-town freeway on Grant Rd - A sign that the NIMBY's have finally lost! ... let me add an air-tram to Mt. Lemon ( Portland has one ) and yes, our very own tower .

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 5:02 AM

Expanding Houghton Road might be better than building the Rainbow Bridge...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest