HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 11:29 PM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 8:30 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 11:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
I think it's amazing because of the stupid name. There is nothing amazing about Brentwood. Never was and never will be.

LOL Okay fine... it sucks... Anyways back to topic, does anybody has any recent shot of the excavation site?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 11:40 PM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 8:30 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA3 View Post
I think people really like this project because Brentwood's location is really central in Metro Vancouver, don't you guys agree?
Don't agree. New West seems more central to me. Plus you have better Skytrain options. Plus a way better urban vibe. Brentwood has no urban vibe, and won't have one for 10 years or more. Metrotown has been developing for far longer than Brentwood and still has no urban vibe.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Don't agree. New West seems more central to me. Plus you have better Skytrain options. Plus a way better urban vibe. Brentwood has no urban vibe, and won't have one for 10 years or more. Metrotown has been developing for far longer than Brentwood and still has no urban vibe.
I agree that, despite all the developments there, Metrotown has no urban vibe, not yet anyway.
Brentwood, on the other hand, will be more compact, denser, taller, have a well-designed town centre, and is more likely to get that urban vibe before Metrotown does.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA3 View Post
LOL Okay fine... it sucks... Anyways back to topic, does anybody has any recent shot of the excavation site?
There has been no excavation on the site as of yet. Some demolition of part of the existing mall, and a lot of off site prep work, but no shovels in the ground yet.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 5:16 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I don't think it's fair to say Metrotown has no urban vibe. I've lived there for a few years, and some sections of Kingsway are very busy with pedestrian traffic visiting all the little shops. And to me, Crystal Mall and the lane bisecting the property is one of the most under-appreciated urban pedestrian lane gems of the Metro Van area.

That being said, there is a lot of work to be done. Hopefully Station Square's new urban and pedestrian focused street and streetfront on Silver Ave will help a lot.

Brentwood does have a few blocks to the west of the mall where there is potential, but not much yet, I agree.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 5:32 PM

Kingsway/Metrotown is going to be a clone of Yonge St./North York City Centre. I suppose that's not bad.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 10:29 PM

Posted July 14 at the Brentwood Station blog:

Quote:

New intersections around Brentwood
As Phase 1 of the Brentwood Mall Redevelopment gets set to begin, new intersections are being added on Lougheed Hwy and on Willingdon Ave. The traffic signals have already been put in place (but not yet activated) at a new intersection just north of Halifax Street. On Lougheed Hwy, traffic disrupting work is being done at a newly forming intersection with traffic lights to come at Alpha Ave and Lougheed Hwy.
http://brentwoodstation.blogspot.ca/...brentwood.html

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 2:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Posted July 14 at the Brentwood Station blog:

http://brentwoodstation.blogspot.ca/...brentwood.html
I see the point of the mall's East corner expansion from that photo. It seems like the new mall will be directly connected to the existing mall.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:45 AM

thats being demolished

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 PM
BANNED

Found this from Aerobotika website

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 9:54 PM

Thanks for posting.

All this talk of Brentwood having a more urban vibe than Metrotown is clearly nonsense. Kingsway, for all its shortcomings, feels like a commercial core with office towers, condos and retail of varying ages facing the street.

Brentwood is still in transition with a large amount of industrial land and parking lots that need to be developed. also the towers that have been built are too similar in age and massing, lending to that suburban centre vibe.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 10:23 PM

Hey, I can see my house from here!

What I like about that photo is that it shows the train tracks disappearing into the little-known tunnel that goes from Dawson Street (the entrance in the photo) emerging at the rail bridge that runs parallel to the 2nd narrows bridge. All the way under North Burnaby.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 10:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Thanks for posting.

All this talk of Brentwood having a more urban vibe than Metrotown is clearly nonsense. Kingsway, for all its shortcomings, feels like a commercial core with office towers, condos and retail of varying ages facing the street.

Brentwood is still in transition with a large amount of industrial land and parking lots that need to be developed. also the towers that have been built are too similar in age and massing, lending to that suburban centre vibe.
You're absolutely right, the area is not busy enough with pedestrians. It will still be years away until Brentwood can feel as urban as Metrotown.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 11:18 PM

Kingsway is nevertheless still a cheap, ugly, piece of scheiss, with ugly, suburban lamp posts to top it all off.
When it gets to feeling like Westwood Bvd in LA, it'll have a true urban vibe.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 4:37 AM
BANNED

Thank goodness.. The bus loop is finally torn apart!

Source: http://brentwoodstation.blogspot.ca/...loop-gone.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 10:15 PM

When is their expected delivery date for the condos for move in?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 11:10 PM

Late 2017 for the first tower, I believe.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faston View Post
Hey, I can see my house from here!

What I like about that photo is that it shows the train tracks disappearing into the little-known tunnel that goes from Dawson Street (the entrance in the photo) emerging at the rail bridge that runs parallel to the 2nd narrows bridge. All the way under North Burnaby.
Thats a great picture and it explains why some places never get developed. You can visualize the right away as it goes in the hill. I new the tracks were there but never but 2 and 2 together till I saw the picture.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley