HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 2:01 PM

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a thoughtful reply JACK, he just wants to put it down because we all like it. There always has to be "that guy" pathetic actually.

Last edited by UltraDanPrime; May 2, 2018 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:58 PM

So, out of curiosity...does the 2nd floor start at the bottom row of glass facade or is that the 3rd floor? I just want to know so I can count the floors completed so I have a general sense of how much taller it will be.

Also, it's 24 floors right? Not 23?

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
Please get your names correct. It's Pelli not Pellini. Not every design by great architects are a highrise homerun. This is certainly the case here considering his world class reputation. Sorry you didn't get your 58 story tower, but the truth hurts sometimes. Perhaps the passing over by others of my previous post is a way of showing my statement cuts too deep. Perhaps it's over their head. If they cannot see the aesthetic similarities in the current tower and the 80's version, then there's no need for me to read their reply anyway. They lack the vision while being blinded by wishful thinking.Thank you Kevin for a civil reply.
And is this a CIVIL reply???

GO PELLI
THE WORLD KNOWN ARCHITECT

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 6:18 PM
Meh

Actually, I've not been a fan of Pelli's designs for a while now. Too many of their buildings look the same. Many of them are octagonal or some similar geometric shape. This building, though, is a little bit different since its shape is a legit nod to the Frost Bank logo. It's not merely another non-square and quasi-roundish tower.

Of course, Pelli does have some wonderful towers. I mean, holy smokes. The Petronas Towers, Bank of America Corporate Center, Key Tower, 777 Tower, and my favorite, Wells Fargo Center (Minneapolis).

Anyway, be happy with what you guys are getting. This is San Antonio's first office tower in 30 years. There are probably people here not old enough to remember the last time a major office tower went up in San Antonio.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 6:25 PM

We all wish it was taller. But it's nearly impossible to get anything substantially taller than Frost built when there is a surplus of office/retail space available all over downtown. We're heading in the right direction since companies like Weston and Grayson St. are helping develop those properties. Businesses are just starting to move back into downtown. We've waited this long for something like Frost. I don't think we have to wait too much longer for something better.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 6:26 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntransplant View Post
So, out of curiosity...does the 2nd floor start at the bottom row of glass facade or is that the 3rd floor? I just want to know so I can count the floors completed so I have a general sense of how much taller it will be.

Also, it's 24 floors right? Not 23?
That first floor is 2 floors tall. They will have an atrium and loft like area inside that is still considered the first floor. You can also count the floors on the web cam and compare it with that rendering facing east, with the sunset.

It's going to be 23 floors and the crown will be the 24th floor.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 8:04 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 8:25 PM
James

It's easier to count with this pic, as you can just count the amount of floors after the garage.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Actually, I've not been a fan of Pelli's designs for a while now. Too many of their buildings look the same. Many of them are octagonal or some similar geometric shape. This building, though, is a little bit different since its shape is a legit nod to the Frost Bank logo. It's not merely another non-square and quasi-roundish tower.

Of course, Pelli does have some wonderful towers. I mean, holy smokes. The Petronas Towers, Bank of America Corporate Center, Key Tower, 777 Tower, and my favorite, Wells Fargo Center (Minneapolis).

Anyway, be happy with what you guys are getting. This is San Antonio's first office tower in 30 years. There are probably people here not old enough to remember the last time a major office tower went up in San Antonio.
Something similar to Key Tower and 777 Tower is definitely what San Antonio needs, it would look great against downtown.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:

We ARE happy!!! Only a few are unhappy, and seem to be unhappy about every new development in SA!! Hmmm, do I see a pattern???

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 2:17 AM
Meh

By the way, there's nothing wrong with spotting the faults and critiquing things in one's city. It's how improvements are made. I have all kinds of grumbles about stuff in Austin and would be willing to unload them to anyone willing to listen. Architecture is art, and so it's totally up for debate, appreciation, and criticism. It's ok to open up and debate stuff. Being biased or also being simply negative for negative's sake isn't healthy.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 2:31 AM
James

Quote:
Architecture is art, and so it's totally up for debate, appreciation, and criticism.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 5:36 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
It serves no purpose because there is no need for a back and forth on the design. You seem to be the only person with a contradictory opinion on the design. Besides that, the overly sensational way you decided to state that opinion is another reason why I and others chose not to engage you. It came off more as baiting then trying to engage in a genuine discussion on the design and it’s merits.

Your subsequent replies seem to further your baiting technique.
I believe it's ok to have a contradictory opinion on the design. I do provide a visual similarity in an older Frost building. This is how I see it. Surprisingly, no one else catches the play the new building takes from the 410 structure. It is arguable that the design is mundane given many other striking designs of mid-rise towers in other cities, but like Paul says- San Antonio is slow. I am giving a critique. Critiques naturally bring discussion. Or so I thought. Didn't mean to frighten some of you.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 5:42 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
And is this a CIVIL reply???

GO PELLI
THE WORLD KNOWN ARCHITECT
Civil? Relatively speaking, yes. He engages my words. Not runs away from them. Glad you corrected your spelling. BTW, you all have been around here for a long time. A little shake-up, a little counter point- shouldn't hurt.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 5:47 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
By the way, there's nothing wrong with spotting the faults and critiquing things in one's city. It's how improvements are made. I have all kinds of grumbles about stuff in Austin and would be willing to unload them to anyone willing to listen. Architecture is art, and so it's totally up for debate, appreciation, and criticism. It's ok to open up and debate stuff. Being biased or also being simply negative for negative's sake isn't healthy.
Well stated, sir. I very much appreciate the parallels of architecture and art and how to critique them as a result.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 6:10 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:

Those are great examples of towers that I believe are more sympathetic to the San Antonio palette of architecture. Your examples are all tall buildings however; probably 40 stories or more, making them almost twice the size of the new FT. Perhaps looking at structures closer in size and perhaps even cost might warrant better comparison.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 1:17 PM
JACKinBeantown

I just noticed that the crown is slightly different in the renderings that jaga185 and I posted above. The one I posted has what looks like 2-1/2 apparent floors, while his has 2 taller apparent floors. I think the net height is probably the same, but the glass treatment is different.

On another note, I'd like to commend maxus for his last four posts. Nice observations, nicely done.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 2:26 PM
Paradise

Aside from the height, my main issue with it is it’s detachment from the parking. I hate how the building just is plopped down and the retail/parking is stuck next to it. No cohesiveness and I wish that was better designed. I feel like it could have been better incorporated to maximize the use of the land.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 9:23 PM
James

May 5th, 2018

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 2:52 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

That view of the tower down the creek is dank.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio