HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 6:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
Doubt it.

Regardless, I hope sales go well because I want to see that ugly parking lot turned into high end retail with a nice central square.

Anything beats acres of parking stalls.
I was not joking, check this out!

Last edited by AudiA3; Jun 26, 2014 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 6:33 AM

Ok I understand why they skipped all the 4s, ok well most of the 4s (43 apparently is ok but 34 isn't, and the answer is because they are idiots), but why did they skip 58?

Is this another ridiculous superstition?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 7:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Ok I understand why they skipped all the 4s, ok well most of the 4s (43 apparently is ok but 34 isn't, and the answer is because they are idiots), but why did they skip 58?

In Chinese, 5 is pronounced as "wu", which sounds like the word for "none/missing"
In Chinese, 8 is pronounced as "ba", which sounds like the word for "luck"

So combined, they translate into "no luck"

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 1:07 PM

Lol You would think there would be enough non superstitious people that wouldn't care buying a unit on the 58th floor. I wish they would stop this dumb floor numbering

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 2:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post

In Chinese, 4s pronounced as "si", which sounds like the word for "death"

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Lol You would think there would be enough non superstitious people that wouldn't care buying a unit on the 58th floor. I wish they would stop this dumb floor numbering
I guess it curses the entire building if there are people living on the 4th/58th floor... Anyway I've mentioned this before but I live in China and my building has a 4th floor. I've asked a couple friends here and they say its nonsense.

One of these developers should just build a building with all the floors and see what happens. I think they will be surprised to see that most Chinese people don't give a shit.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
I guess it curses the entire building if there are people living on the 4th/58th floor... Anyway I've mentioned this before but I live in China and my building has a 4th floor. I've asked a couple friends here and they say its nonsense.

One of these developers should just build a building with all the floors and see what happens. I think they will be surprised to see that most Chinese people don't give a shit.
This. Now it just appears to me that developers think Chinese people are way more superstitious than they actually are(and much more superstitious than they are in China).

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 3:33 PM
Community Guy

Also, keep ^in mind that higher floor numbers demand more money... So a 63rd floor should in theory be more expensive than a 58.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 3:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
north burnaby is said to have a pretty high average household income, plus it's close to SFU with students and faculty who live in the area as well as BCIT close too

i can't see many places setting up duplicate stores in metrotown and brentwood, i think it will remain a neighbourhood mall with the kind of stores it has now, unless they can add some attractions and make it a place where people want to go, plus the owners of brentwood own lougheed town centre mall and have ambitious plans for it as well and its about 10-15 minutes east and that mall is doing better than brentwood and has some stores like H&M, sport chek, the body shop, the bay, walmart etc. and seems a lot busier and in a busier area than brentwood

seems like they face a tough road to get any big name stores in either mall
I noticed this in their brochure.... Does it statement indicate that Prada has already signed a lease agreement with Shape Properties?? Are developers allowed to make such a claim if it's merely just a hope that has not actually happened?

"it's all an elevator ride away: from a litre of milk to the latest Prada handbag"

Last edited by AudiA3; Jun 26, 2014 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA3 View Post
I was not joking, check this out!
Color me surprised. Good news for Shape, that means the redevelopment is going ahead.

Looking forward to see this tower rise as high as it will.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 9:41 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

No 34, 44 or 54

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 1:47 AM

Im very surpised it sold out... i really didn't like the units. I'm happy though, I want brentwood to build fast.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 3:26 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I live in China too, and every building I've lived in during my time here (6 total!) never had any 4s missing. Hong Kong and Taiwan, on the other hand.....

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniatus View Post
Im very surpised it sold out... i really didn't like the units. I'm happy though, I want brentwood to build fast.

Im on the same page. As far as units are concerned, SoLo had far superior offerings for the same price. But I can't wait for a more attractive mall, village concept.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 5:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Im on the same page. As far as units are concerned, SoLo had far superior offerings for the same price. But I can't wait for a more attractive mall, village concept.
Location, location, location.... The Amazing Brentwood has the closer proximity to the skystrain station. Any news on when the development of office towers will start?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I noticed this in their brochure.... Does it statement indicate that Prada has already signed a lease agreement with Shape Properties?? Are developers allowed to make such a claim if it's merely just a hope that has not actually happened?

"it's all an elevator ride away: from a litre of milk to the latest Prada handbag"
I wouldn't think so.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Location, location, location.... The Amazing Brentwood has the closer proximity to the skystrain station. Any news on when the development of office towers will start?
Judging by the renders, the second residential tower will come first.

SoLo is bringing a lot of office to market too with the first 16floors of Altus being office space.

I don't know if NorthBurnaby can absorb so much office space in a short span.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 5:17 PM

Quote:
I want to see that ugly parking lot turned into high end retail with a nice central square.

Anything beats acres of parking stalls.
I couldn't agree more rofina. I am really looking forward to the new mall, especially the rumoured 10 screen movie theatre complex.

Guess they lifted the ban on taking pictures in the 'price room' after the sellout. When I was there last weekend there was a big sign 'no pictures' and somebody standing guard.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 8:30 PM

Quote:
I think if considering the same story level, solo is more expensive.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqjz View Post
I think if considering the same story level, solo is more expensive.
i think the units overall are cheaper at brentwood but solo units are bigger.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley