HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 4:46 PM

I'll try to remain optimistic. lol. Maybe there is hope for the Riverwalk, because while The Orlando outlet has luxury brands (and a lot of mid-range) it also has some very low-end stores as well, such as Charlotte Russe, Dress Barn, Rue21, Wet Seal and Forever 21. So maybe the mix that we are getting will work. Time will tell I suppose.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 4:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillardAlum View Post
I'll try to remain optimistic. lol. Maybe there is hope for the Riverwalk, because while The Orlando outlet has luxury brands (and a lot of mid-range) it also has some very low-end stores as well, such as Charlotte Russe, Dress Barn, Rue21, Wet Seal and Forever 21. So maybe the mix that we are getting will work. Time will tell I suppose.
I trust that these guys know what they are doing. It is after all what they do for a living. Forever 21 and Gap and Aeropostale are stores that bring people in.

A bit off topic but for anyone interested:

NEW ORLEANS, LA—Today, the Mayor’s Office of Cultural Economy issued a filming notice to New Orleans residents and businesses in the downtown area.

On Thursday, May 30th and Friday, May 31st, a production company will be filming scenes from 7pm to 6 am that will include intermittent simulated gunfire. Uniformed officers will be on site to ensure safety. Filming will be limited to a closed set of Fox’s Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, within the 100 and 200 blocks of South Rampart Street, the 1000 block of Common Street, and the 1100 block of Tulane Avenue. These blocks are closed to traffic through June 24 as part of a traffic plan that can be found at www.nola.gov/film , the home page for Film New Orleans in the Mayor’s Office of Cultural Economy.

http://new.nola.gov/mayor/press-rele...s-film-notice/

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 4:52 PM

Can someone post the list of the stores? I don't see it anywhere.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 5:05 PM

Great updates Tennis! I particularly like the conversions of the synagogue and the parking deck! Fantastic stuff!

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 6:33 PM

Same request as NolaWave. Can't find a complete list of tenants anywhere on the web for the redeveloped Riverwalk.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 6:40 PM
TL;DR

It's in the image tennis posted, but I couldn't find it on the Riverwalk website either.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 6:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's in the image tennis posted, but I couldn't find it on the Riverwalk website either.
Sorry i removed it because I know they havent gone public with it yet and there are always last minute changes. Didnt think it was fair to post it without them doing press conference first. As for the store list I really think its a good first run. Many stores in the other outlets wont locate so close to a full price store. The only reason off 5th is going in there is because of Neiman marcus. Stores likr brooks brothers, white house, solstice, french connection, urban outfitters, bcbg, bannana repulic, lulu lemon wont do a discount store next to their full priced one. I believe Coach is closing the store at Canal Place to open the new outlets.

Another update I know Twin Peaks is moving into the old Serranos spot at Clearview Mall and another location in Elmwood.

http://www.twinpeaksrestaurant.com/

Last edited by tennis1400; May 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 7:27 PM

Anybody know what is going in at the intersection of Clearview and Airline Hwy at the old Scandavania site? I'm hoping its not a CVS, but since it is right across from Walgreens I'm leery. BTW does anybody know why CVS is so intent on building directly across from Walgreens? I was told it has to do with a family/business disagreement and CVS does it out of spite, sounds like BS, but I've heard stranger stories that turned out to be true.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 9:30 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Legend View Post
Anybody know what is going in at the intersection of Clearview and Airline Hwy at the old Scandavania site? I'm hoping its not a CVS, but since it is right across from Walgreens I'm leery. BTW does anybody know why CVS is so intent on building directly across from Walgreens? I was told it has to do with a family/business disagreement and CVS does it out of spite, sounds like BS, but I've heard stranger stories that turned out to be true.
Both chains want high traffic corner sites at major intersections. There are only certain intersections with enough traffic volume, although sometimes they lower their standards if there's a large contiguous area without a store.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 1:00 AM

Quote:
this may be an urban legend.......pun intended......but CVS is supposed to appeal to the blue collar crowd and Walgreens the white collars......building next to one another gives the blues a quick discount on meds and products without the heavy advertising expenses of promoting their locations......"where there is a walgreens, you're sure to find a CVS"....personally, I don't buy this urban legend.......but it's good to know wherever there's a walgreens....a CVS is in the planning stages......

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 2:59 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptalt51 View Post
this may be an urban legend.......pun intended......but CVS is supposed to appeal to the blue collar crowd and Walgreens the white collars......building next to one another gives the blues a quick discount on meds and products without the heavy advertising expenses of promoting their locations......"where there is a walgreens, you're sure to find a CVS"....personally, I don't buy this urban legend.......but it's good to know wherever there's a walgreens....a CVS is in the planning stages......
All the fast food joints do this with Mcdonalds. They almost never go somewhere first without a Mcdonalds being there.

On a side note I took a nice walk around my neck of the woods and here are some photos I took. iphone so the quality is ok not great.

Hibernia Tower Parking Garage:

Bank Sign on Baronne Street Building: Renovation should be starting soon

Almost complete Renovation on the corner of Baronne and I think Gravier(New Vietnemese restaurant on bottom)

Jimmy Johns About to Open:

Lucky Rooster About to Open Next Door

Drury Inn Expansion:

First Crane and Pile Driver/Excavators have arrived for South Market District Lot is Closed so better move your car

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 1:52 PM

Quote:
I've always understood that it was a sort of traffic and turning situation. For instance, in that location if you're heading riverbound on Clearview, you'd have to make a left and another left to go to Walgreens, with the CVS across the street you can just make a right turn straight into their parking lot. In essence, they can make enough money to justify the store just by splitting the intersection's traffic in half with Walgreens.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 5:42 PM

Cool Walgreens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerbydesign View Post
I've always understood that it was a sort of traffic and turning situation. For instance, in that location if you're heading riverbound on Clearview, you'd have to make a left and another left to go to Walgreens, with the CVS across the street you can just make a right turn straight into their parking lot. In essence, they can make enough money to justify the store just by splitting the intersection's traffic in half with Walgreens.
It's another Walgreens. Guess they'll tear down the old one across the street.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 5:43 PM
-

Tujague’s Restaurant Will Remain In Family

BY GNOREALESTATENEWS IN UNCATEGORIZED · MAY 28, 2013 · NO COMMENTS

Tujague’s Restaurant reports that the French Quarter landmark restaurant will remain In family. New owner Mark Latter said, “We’ve signed a new lease on the building, and I’m happy to announce Tujague’s will be here for many more years.” Mark is the son of the late Steven Latter, who, before his death this past February, owned and operated the restaurant for 31 years. Mark grew up helping his father and has worked full-time at the restaurant for the past four years. His announcement dispels recent rumors regarding the restaurant’s acquisition by a local T-shirt merchant.

http://gnorealestatenews.com/2013/05...ain-in-family/

Borracho Chef Will Open New Restaurant on St. Claude

If the latest Expansion Wires are any indication of what's in store for the 70117, it looks like dining options in the Marigny and Bywater may multiply Freret-style in the coming year, and St. Claude Avenue will also be no stranger to new restaurants. Super-scooper Ian Mcnulty reports that Smedley, chef/proprietor of the popular chef-driven sausage and weenie pop up Borracho inside of Kajun's Pub, is planning to open a second restaurant in a building adjacent to Kajun's this fall.

http://nola.eater.com/

Cafe Amelie Opening Petite Amelie in Quarter This July

The romantic courtyard fave Cafe Amelie (912 Royal) is opening a new spin-off called Petite Amelie a few doors down at 900 Royal in July, according to the Facebooks. The Amelie anomaly was open for a looksy/open house during NOWFE's Royal Street Stroll, and judging by the photos, the dining area appears to be all decked out and rearing to go (though looks like they're still hiring staff). Per Facebook:
Petite Amelie will specialize in craft sandwiches and salads, seasonal soups and fresh prepared foods. We will offer an array of specialty items, pastries and desserts and feature the Quarter's only fresh juice bar.
Expect a menu reveal very soon.

New Bill Would Create 'World-Class' Culinary School Downtown
According to a report today from Fox 8, a bill that would install a world-class culinary school in the long-vacant Artists' Guild building on Howard Ave. in downtown New Orleans is waiting for final approval from the Louisiana Legislature. The bill would "immediately enhance" all the hard work the Delgado Culinary School has done over the last 95 (!) years to provide New Orleans with a steady stream of trained cooks and kitchen managers by giving the school a brand-new downtown home. It would also bolster other community colleges across the state.

Heres a picture of the building. I think this is an excellent idea and long overdue!!

New Orleans Lakefront Airport Terminal seeks proposals for food service occupants

The Lakefront Airport was built in the 1930's. At the time of it's grand opening it was considered an architectural masterpiece. Built by the same architect that designed the Louisiana state capital building, it was the first major airport in the region, and served proudly as a general aviation airport to this day. Inside the terminal building, travelers would find an Art Deco wonderland, featuring murals by artist Xavier Gonzalez, friezes by Enrique R. Alferez and an array of stone wall and floor treatments.

Much of the terminal's architectural flash was lost to a heavy-handed renovation in the mid-1960s that encased the building's exterior in cement panels and enclosed a second-floor balcony overlooking the grand lobby, the latter step creating room for a warren of offices for the Orleans Levee Board. The building sustained wholesale damage of another kind when it took on four feet of water as Hurricane Katrina pushed Lake Pontchartrain waters inland.

Video of the restoration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=hc2GzCQTmjQ

Khodr Planning Restaurant, Luxury Apartments in Marigny

Richard A. Webster of The Times-Picayune reports that Hicham Khodr, the owner of The Camellia Grill The Grill, has recently acquired three properties in the Marigny from Fred Morgan, the rather self-proclaimed Robin Hood of New Orleans landlords who says "anybody poor I'm gonna help them," but whose own tenants even refer to him as an "honest-to-God slumlord." Khodr tells the TP that "I don't know how anybody could live" in the decrepit properties that he just gobbled up, located at 2100, 2106, and 2112 and Burgundy Street, which have sold for $362,000 to Khodr's Burgundy Frenchmen LLC. The LLC also owns Byblos and Salu, operates The Grill formerly known as Camellia, and recently acquired Mahony's Po Boy Shop with plans to expand into the Quarter. "It's hard to kick them out," Khodr says of the tenants, some of whom will be facing homelessness, "but the building is falling apart" and will no doubt completely fall apart very soon because... wait for it...

http://nola.eater.com/index.php?page=2

Last edited by tennis1400; May 30, 2013 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 9:50 PM

That's great that he brought them, if he can save the building from collapse.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 9:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
That's great that he brought them, if he can save the building from collapse.
They dont look that bad on the outside but Im sure the insides are basic squalor. Yuck!

Tiki Tolteca

  Known for its quick, casual Mexican format and self-serve salsa bar, Felipe's Taqueria has upped its game lately at the bar, which serves Mexican-inspired craft cocktails. Last week, the taqueria took things to another level by opening Tiki Tolteca, a separate tiki bar and tapas-style restaurant on the second floor of its French Quarter location (301 N. Peters St., 504-267-4406; www.felipesneworleans.com).

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gamb...nt?oid=2200251

Coal-fired pizzas at Amici
Hot and coals

  Next door to Basin Seafood, renovations are underway for a pizzeria called Amici, which will serve pizzas cooked in a coal-fired oven. The restaurant is expected to open in mid-June at 3218 Magazine St., which had been the home of Byblos (3242 Magazine St., 504-894-1233; www.byblosrestaurants.com) before that Middle Eastern restaurant moved a block up the street last year.

  Amici's menu is not yet available, but marketing manager Michelle Jones says the restaurant's concept is centered on its coal-fired pizza oven. This approach to pizza is far more common in the pizza hubs of the Northeast, and it typically produces crisp, thin-crusted pies with an element of smokiness from the coals. Rocketfire Pizza Co. (1950 N. Hwy. 190, Covington, 985-327-7600; www.rocketfirepizza.com) is another local example.

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gamb...nt?oid=2204176

2104 Gravier St·New Construction ·Permit #13-16787-NEWC ·Ref Code: FD16S0
Download (1) Print Summary Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Ryan Mayer
Application Review
Date Filed:
5/30/2013 10:50:51 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct a 3-story, 36700sf biomedical district plant as per plans.

Last edited by tennis1400; May 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptalt51 View Post
My brother in laws best friend was in charge of selecting sites for new Walgreens. It is not an urban legend.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 6:31 PM
-

South Market Construction:

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 6:54 PM

Just saw the SMD crane on my lunch break. So, can we take a sigh of relief yet and assume it will be constructed?

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 6:57 PM

Is this the garage?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations