HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:32 PM

Yeah, there's very few workers in the building itself, mostly admin people. I know Hydro just extended their WFH orders too, so the restaurants everywhere around there are hurting bad.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah, there's very few workers in the building itself, mostly admin people. I know Hydro just extended their WFH orders too, so the restaurants everywhere around there are hurting bad.
There may be at least some good news coming on that front. I know a dude who works for Hydro and he told me that he's happy to continue WFH, but they are apparently coming under some political pressure to return to the office due to the optics of having a big, expensive tower sitting mostly empty...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:04 PM

I work a large telecom and most of us are hoping they extend work from home permanently. Word is, its under consideration.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 2:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There may be at least some good news coming on that front. I know a dude who works for Hydro and he told me that he's happy to continue WFH, but they are apparently coming under some political pressure to return to the office due to the optics of having a big, expensive tower sitting mostly empty...
A big expensive tower that probably wasn’t needed in the first place, all part of the misguided policies of the previous speNDP regime with there crown corporation empire building!

The whole way work is looked at will ultimately change after the pandemic has shown and proven that people are in fact more productive working from home and not less.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
A big expensive tower that probably wasn’t needed in the first place, all part of the misguided policies of the previous speNDP regime with there crown corporation empire building!

The whole way work is looked at will ultimately change after the pandemic has shown and proven that people are in fact more productive working from home and not less.
I'm not so sure about that. I guess we will find out in time, but I suspect things will be back to normal within two to three years, and life will be as it was before the pandemic.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I guess we will find out in time, but I suspect things will be back to normal within two to three years, and life will be as it was before the pandemic.
That's optimistic.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 4:37 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
That's optimistic.
Actually, I think it's a reasonable expectation simply because a vaccine will have been created by then. Well, presumably unless there's some hitch with the mutation rate or something.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Actually, I think it's a reasonable expectation simply because a vaccine will have been created by then. Well, presumably unless there's some hitch with the mutation rate or something.
I could see things returning closer to how they were in 2019 once a vaccine is distributing, but I don't think the work from home genie is going back into the bottle. Too many people like it and there is no particular reason not to accommodate it.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 8:04 PM

Quote:
I could see things returning closer to how they were in 2019 once a vaccine is distributing, but I don't think the work from home genie is going back into the bottle. Too many people like it and there is no particular reason not to accommodate it.
I for one hate being at home, I'm way less productive. I'm sure there will be more but I don't see a permanent mass exodus from the office.
Small stain

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 9:49 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Yeah, I do believe you're correct. Also, given how much money a company could save, it's bound to be a much greater part of how our economies function from now on.

On the other hand, if what I say is correct, why didn't we move toward this before COVID? I guess it was happening but it was certainly much slower if even measurable.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 3:58 PM

I noticed a for lease sign in the CRU at the corner of Carlton and Graham. Is that where the cafe was originally going to go?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 4:55 PM

It seems to be completely hit and miss, by company. Skip has been adamant that all head office staff will return to office full time once they can, and that's a tech company with a young workforce – however live ops will remain WFH for good. I know some law firms that have had success doing WFH and will continue it, while keeping offices for meetings when needed in future – and some that will go back to normal ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I noticed a for lease sign in the CRU at the corner of Carlton and Graham. Is that where the cafe was originally going to go?
Yes. I'm sure COVID was the main factor, but I don't think it helps that both Hargrave Market and Mottola Grocery have a cafe. They shouldn't have put one in the grocery store IMO.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 9:02 PM

Yeah, 3 cafes in one development is a lot.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It seems to be completely hit and miss, by company. Skip has been adamant that all head office staff will return to office full time once they can, and that's a tech company with a young workforce – however live ops will remain WFH for good. I know some law firms that have had success doing WFH and will continue it, while keeping offices for meetings when needed in future – and some that will go back to normal ASAP.

Yes. I'm sure COVID was the main factor, but I don't think it helps that both Hargrave Market and Mottola Grocery have a cafe. They shouldn't have put one in the grocery store IMO.
This may have been stated already but wow that grocery store SUCKS. I went there for my first time yesterday and was extremely disappointed with their quantity and quality. I was expecting something like a Whole Foods but it's like just fancy overpriced eversions of regular products (half of which you can buy at dollar tree). Further, half of the space is dedicated to food made in store which is I'm fine with on its own, but I feel like it doesn't make sense when right upstairs is a market with several restaurants which should serve someone if they're looking for fresh food. Most deppaneurs in Montreal serve more food that this "grocery store"

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 11:25 PM

Richardson international has refused work from home all employees have to report to the office. I know a family friends who is quitting over this policy.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:42 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Richardson international has refused work from home all employees have to report to the office. I know a family friends who is quitting over this policy.
Well, that's an odd choice. There must be more to it than that if somebody is willing to quit what has to be a decently paying job out of fear of catching the coronavirus. It just doesn't seem to be all that dangerous compared to virtually every other virus on the planet that tends to break out in pandemics.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Well, that's an odd choice. There must be more to it than that if somebody is willing to quit what has to be a decently paying job out of fear of catching the coronavirus. It just doesn't seem to be all that dangerous compared to virtually every other virus on the planet that tends to break out in pandemics.
She’s a cancer survivor so a compromised immune system and her husband is under going cancer treatment now.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 4:20 PM

I can confirm the same about Richardson's anti-WFH policy. It's actually almost comical how adamant they are against anyone who even asks about options. They won't even allow split-time options or manager discretion. The morale in the head office in multiple departments is at a real low and the upper management doesn't give two shits. The funny thing is that there are whole departments that have been outfitted with laptops in the last year almost like they're teasing the employees. If these weren't high paying jobs with great pensions I could definitely see a "not my Richardson's" happening from the stories I hear first hand.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 4:22 PM

Today, my workplace is rolling back from a 50/50 platooning system, to 90% working from home. Only core staff like IT will be in the office to maintain servers and such.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 5:05 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
I can confirm the same about Richardson's anti-WFH policy. It's actually almost comical how adamant they are against anyone who even asks about options. They won't even allow split-time options or manager discretion. The morale in the head office in multiple departments is at a real low and the upper management doesn't give two shits. The funny thing is that there are whole departments that have been outfitted with laptops in the last year almost like they're teasing the employees. If these weren't high paying jobs with great pensions I could definitely see a "not my Richardson's" happening from the stories I hear first hand.
WFH is a perk, that may or may not be available at some companies.

It's become a sort of necessity during COVID times, but I think we are all fooling ourselves if we think it's going to result in some ground shift of people gaining the choice to work from home or the office at their discretion.

In our office, you only work from home if that is what is required (health, COVID related child care, special circumstances). Otherwise park your butt at your desk. Please and thank you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan