HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
According to 20 Vic. (HSC Management), Apple will not be opening until September. Most likely in time for the iPhone 5 launch. (see PDF attached)

This PDF has a floor plan of the mall that was just updated with all the new stores (VS, PINK, Apple, Fossil, Lush, etc.)

http://www.20vic.com/1109pdfs/HALIFA...PING%20CTR.pdf
Also looks like a few stores have moved around. EG: EastLink is now on the second level near the food court. Has it moved or is it in the process of moving?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 9:03 AM

the new store in coquitlam doesnt open till september so falls inline with their blitz openings, they just had one not too long ago when they opened the barcelona store

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 6:46 PM

L'Occitane will be opening its first Atlantic Canadian boutique in HSC in mid-September.

http://ca.loccitane.com/boutique-man...150,130378.htm
http://ca.loccitane.com/l%27occitane...931,232542.htm

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 1:45 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Propeller Breweries

Expansion brews for Propeller
16 hours ago
By COLLEEN COSGROVE Business Reporter

Six consecutive years of double-digit growth and a local population with an unquenchable thirst for craft beer have Propeller Brewing Co. on the hunt for more real estate.

Operating at capacity for the last two years, the north-end Halifax microbrewery is ready to take its craft beer business to the next level.

A new warehouse and distribution facility is the first step, spokesman Andrew Cooper said Thursday.

“In our current location, we physically cannot produce any more beer than we already are,” Cooper said. “We’ve eaten up all of our warehouse space on Gottingen Street with tanks over the past couple of years as we increased production, and now we’re to the point where we can’t add any more tanks.”

The current space crunch has Propeller storing its dry goods and glass products in two separate locations and having them trucked in daily to its Gottingen Street headquarters. A new warehouse and distribution complex would consolidate those facilities and free up much-needed room at the brewery to increase beer and soda production.

The extra space would allow for additional fermenters and eventually increased annual production.

The microbrewery now produces 8,100 hectolitres a year of beer and soda, or about 2.3 million bottles. Propeller offers six core brands of brew, three sodas and four seasonal beers offered at different times through the year.

Space is such a hot commodity that production of its summer seasonal beer, Propeller Hefeweizen, was cancelled this year.

Propeller has been on the lookout for a new warehouse and distribution facility for a few months and hopes to secure a property by the end of the year.

Although sales have been on the rise for six years, and the brewery is on track to post double-digit sales growth again in 2012, Cooper said only now is the timing right for a slow, calculated expansion.

“Our philosophy on expansion is that we don’t want to add excess capacity that we won’t use immediately,” he said. “We realized that we would need another facility two years ago ... and after it became apparent that growth locally in the craft beer industry is not going to plateau any time soon, then we knew the time was right.”

Propeller ships beer to markets in New Brunswick, Ontario and British Columbia but more brewing capacity will not lead to more markets, Cooper said.

“It doesn’t make sense for a craft brewer, in our opinion, to build capacity to feed outside markets,” he said.

“It’s nice to have our brands across the country but we don’t have any goals for world domination. Growing our local market is where it’s at.”

(ccosgrove@herald.ca)

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 7:34 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Hopefully, they will get another building in the area, maybe in one of the new buildings to be constructed, could be redesigned to have them in it. This would be a nice feature and they could team up with a restaurant or go it on their own and make it into a Brew-pub. This would be another great way to get people drinking their beer. .......... and another idea along with this, since they have to move, maybe this building and the old garage building and Marquee in the same block could now come on the market for a new development. This could be a huge project, just a thought!!!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 10:31 PM

Spinnakers in Vic West

As per your concept: Spinnakers started in Victoria West, say 1984ish as a brew pub. Check out their Facebook page.
They have gone to a level where their beer was mentioned during the Vancouver winter Olympics on Good Morning America.
I was there in the beginning and it was small and like one selection. Now a great restaurant with top notch chefs, excellent inner harbor view and guest houses. So this could be a option to view and see what can happen.
All the best and good luck Local is better. Just try Garrison.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
As per your concept: Spinnakers started in Victoria West, say 1984ish as a brew pub. Check out their Facebook page.
They have gone to a level where their beer was mentioned during the Vancouver winter Olympics on Good Morning America.
I was there in the beginning and it was small and like one selection. Now a great restaurant with top notch chefs, excellent inner harbor view and guest houses. So this could be a option to view and see what can happen.
Garrison would be the last local microbrew I would ever buy. Propeller is good though.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Garrison would be the last local microbrew I would ever buy. Propeller is good though.
What are you talking about Garrison is great beer!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
What are you talking about Garrison is great beer!
This!!!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:24 PM

A photo got leaked from the new Apple store on Twitter via @HfxShippingNews

https://twitter.com/HfxShippingNews/.../photo/1/large

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:27 PM

Very Cool.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:44 PM

Stocking the shelves, should be open soon. I peeked through the door the last time I was there haha. I still don't get what all the hype is behind apple products/stores...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 2:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Stocking the shelves, should be open soon. I peeked through the door the last time I was there haha. I still don't get what all the hype is behind apple products/stores...
Apple products are high quality and work seamlessly together. Personally, I'm a little schizophrenic on Apple but since I now have an iPhone, an iPad and Apple TV, it would seem that I am gradually switching over to the dark side.

Having an Apple Store is perceived as being a big deal because it is a major indicator that your city has "arrived". Halifax can use this as indicating that you are in the big leagues now.....

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:23 PM

Apple Store grand opening confirmed for this Saturday, August 18th at 9:30 AM in HSC.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...n-august-18th/

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/halifaxshoppingcentre/

Last edited by icetea93; Aug 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Apple products are high quality and work seamlessly together. Personally, I'm a little schizophrenic on Apple but since I now have an iPhone, an iPad and Apple TV, it would seem that I am gradually switching over to the dark side.

Having an Apple Store is perceived as being a big deal because it is a major indicator that your city has "arrived". Halifax can use this as indicating that you are in the big leagues now.....
Mmm, I wouldn't call them high quality. They use the same pieces that are in any normal laptop. Nothing different there. Only thing that is different is the aluminum box they are in. (Which is cool, but I gotta say, I hate the cold slippery feeling of the Ipad.) And maybe a better screen in some models. Other than that I can get a PC that performs twice as fast for half the price.

Also, my dad owns a mac, (I used to own only macs) Accessories suck with them! Apple doesn't make a good printer driver for any manufacturer. And many things really don't just work with them. I do have to say, Apple has done an amazing job with the advertising, but in the end that's all there is to Apple. Advertising.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Mmm, I wouldn't call them high quality. They use the same pieces that are in any normal laptop. Nothing different there. Only thing that is different is the aluminum box they are in. (Which is cool, but I gotta say, I hate the cold slippery feeling of the Ipad.) And maybe a better screen in some models. Other than that I can get a PC that performs twice as fast for half the price.

Also, my dad owns a mac, (I used to own only macs) Accessories suck with them! Apple doesn't make a good printer driver for any manufacturer. And many things really don't just work with them. I do have to say, Apple has done an amazing job with the advertising, but in the end that's all there is to Apple. Advertising.
Hey I agree completely with you. I own nothing apple as I find it's overpriced.

I'm just excited for it as others like MonctonRad have pointed out that it's a status symbol for the region that we now have an Apple Store.

I also see there are billboards around the city saying Victoria Secret/Pink opens August 16th at HSC. Two big U.S. brands in two days, not bad.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Hey I agree completely with you. I own nothing apple as I find it's overpriced.

I'm just excited for it as others like MonctonRad have pointed out that it's a status symbol for the region that we now have an Apple Store.

I also see there are billboards around the city saying Victoria Secret/Pink opens August 16th at HSC. Two big U.S. brands in two days, not bad.
VS has banners all over HSC as well. Both it and PINK will be opening this Thursday the 16. They are side by side, but I'm assuming they will have separate entrances to the mall. Usually they are connected inside the actual stores much like a GAP and baby gap would be, etc.

Big weekend for HSC coming up!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:38 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Introducing the Apple Store, Halifax Shopping Centre.
Join us for our grand opening August 18, at 9:30 a.m.

Last edited by teddifax; Aug 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: I received an email from Apple!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
According to yesterday's AllNovaScotia, there's a "nano" brewery just waiting to open at 2576 Agricola (the former locksmith building, by Modern Media). Apparently, Bridge Brewing Company is just waiting for the Canadian Standards Agency to send its inspector. Other than that, the article suggests it's ready to go,

Brew house at the back and small retail space in the front. I walked past yesterday, and it certainly doesn't look like it's THAT close to opening. Perhaps once the appropriate inspections are done, the brewing can start in back, and then they'll renovate the retail portion - no need to shell out cash on renos until they are sure they can open...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 3:31 PM

Victoria's Secret and Victoria's Secret PINK now open in Halifax Shopping Centre.

Another big addition to the mall, and VS's first store outside of Ontario, BC, and Alberta. First store east of Toronto

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General